Clutch for A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch for A/C?

First off, havent posted in a while but have been lurking around, car is running and looking good as when i got in January and has about 35k on it
too but

I think I may have a bad clutch for my A/C compressor??

When you here the a/c start up under hood it kinda sounds like a couple low clanks. The car runs fine and a/c blows cold and you cannot hear it while in the car, doesnt do it the whole time, just for first 30 seconds or so when a/c compressor kicks on. the only annoying thing is that when youre outside the car talking to people i can hear it and im not sure if others can but seems embarrising to me for my car to look so nice and run so well but for it to have that noise. plus i am kinda anal.

does anyone have this problem b4?

so called wayne acura(thats where i bought it) and made appt. to drop car off next tues 4pm and they say they will look at it next day, doesnt matter to me, have bumper to bumper 7yr 100k warranty(free to fix) and they will give me loaner that afternoon to take home till fixed. does anyone know if they give out the newer TL 04 and above as loaners there yet? what to do to try to get one if so?

thanks in advance,
jon
Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n1976jmk
First off, havent posted in a while but have been lurking around, car is running and looking good as when i got in January and has about 35k on it
too but

I think I may have a bad clutch for my A/C compressor??

When you here the a/c start up under hood it kinda sounds like a couple low clanks. The car runs fine and a/c blows cold and you cannot hear it while in the car, doesnt do it the whole time, just for first 30 seconds or so when a/c compressor kicks on. the only annoying thing is that when youre outside the car talking to people i can hear it and im not sure if others can but seems embarrising to me for my car to look so nice and run so well but for it to have that noise. plus i am kinda anal.

does anyone have this problem b4?

so called wayne acura(thats where i bought it) and made appt. to drop car off next tues 4pm and they say they will look at it next day, doesnt matter to me, have bumper to bumper 7yr 100k warranty(free to fix) and they will give me loaner that afternoon to take home till fixed. does anyone know if they give out the newer TL 04 and above as loaners there yet? what to do to try to get one if so?

thanks in advance,
jon
if i heard u rght. it suppose to do that. its just the compressor switching on and off. the noise will increase or decrease depending on outside temp and engine temp diff. it only does that when it starts up the ac b4 the compressor starts to get hot from cooling the inside. its normal
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Instructor

I know the compressor makes a noise when it switches on and off but this noise sounds additional to the switching on and off, like something is going bad?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Normal...

I know the compressor makes a noise when it switches on and off but this noise sounds additional to the switching on and off, like something is going bad?
You can hear it on every CL out there, especially if you have a CAI. What happens is that the moment the clutch engages, it is pumping air to compress the line and you can hear almost like a light "humm" in the cabin even with the doors closed. Once the line is fully compressed, you'll stop hearing it...until the clutch engages again...and the cycle starts over again...

It's cool..nothing to worry about. Pay attention to any other car and you'll notice that they do that too...
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Instructor

actually i listened more closey today and does continue to do it after the initial click in of the compressor, it practially do it the whole time??

i guess no one else has noticed this or had this problem

i will report back more when i comes back from the dealer.....
Old 09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually i listened more closey today and does continue to do it after the initial click in of the compressor, it practially do it the whole time??

i guess no one else has noticed this or had this problem

i will report back more when i comes back from the dealer.....

Read above....it's a continuous sound as the line is being compressed.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Well dropped the car off yesterday afternoon, and the guy at the service counter told me the noise was normal and dont be worried, i told him i had car since jan and hadnt made that noise when i bought it, so he took the car in, gave me an 05' TL as loaner, nice, well moving on, got a call about 430pm today, car is done and he said the found the drive belt tensioner(?) ball bearings were going bad and when a/c went on the noise got louder casue of more pressure, they replaced it along with the drive belt(?) cause it had fraided a little from the belt moving out of place.

well pick up car tomorrow after work cause i was already home when they call and its a 45 minute ride each way that didnt feel like making and its only 10 minute ride when i get out of work so thats what i will do tomorrow.