CLS vs GS400 revisited! hehehehehe =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AC

What does the TC buy you? I assume just a higher stall? But 270 is pretty damn impressive my friend!
So what is the lowest, or morst common dyno number?
Old 08-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Racer

Originally posted by AC

So what is the lowest, or morst common dyno number?
221hp was the worst Ive seen ....Damn I wish the made a manual GS4xx
Old 08-04-2002, 11:56 AM
Pro

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER

221hp was the worst Ive seen ....Damn I wish the made a manual GS4xx
Wow, sounds like a broken dyno to me. I just can't see how it can pull that little.

On a 540, the autos in stock form pull anywhere from 232 lowest I've seen to 237 highest I've seen. The 6 spds, amazingly dyno at 250+ which is very weird to me. A guy with 6spd with just intake, chip and exhaust consistently pulls over 285+ on 3 different dynos. Man, the power of manual...
Old 08-04-2002, 12:05 PM

TC=Torque Convertor, not exactly sure what it does, but I have rode in a GS with it and I can say it does make the car quicker at low speeds.

Funny, I've seen some GS4s with worse dyno numbers with exhaust and intake compared to stock cars.

I always feel that BMW cars are underrated power wise, which is cool. It kills me when I go to car boards and the reasoning is "only 282 HP" therefore, I can take it with my intake attitude

The 4.4 is a beast.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally posted by AC

Wow, sounds like a broken dyno to me. I just can't see how it can pull that little.

On a 540, the autos in stock form pull anywhere from 232 lowest I've seen to 237 highest I've seen. The 6 spds, amazingly dyno at 250+ which is very weird to me. A guy with 6spd with just intake, chip and exhaust consistently pulls over 285+ on 3 different dynos. Man, the power of manual...
I know I was like what the F++K when I seen it. Its the drive tranloss our cars have. With a TC and intake it eliminates some of that loss. I dyno with just the SRTintake 256hp & 275TQ @ the wheels with the 20s on. I have almost 90K on my car so need the 90K maintenace with new TQ plugs and I should see 260+ @ the wheels, and when I get the TC installed next week my TQ should be in the high 280s
Old 08-04-2002, 12:31 PM

Scalbert, and any others are welcome!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

Our trip to Deal's Gap!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:18 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

e430 is slow, so don't even mention this car .
Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

the only nice thing about a 330 is it LOOKS nice and its rwd, but performance/handling no comparison with a cls
Old 08-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro

Originally posted by quikcls
the only nice thing about a 330 is it LOOKS nice and its rwd, but performance/handling no comparison with a cls
What world are you living in? :rolle
Old 08-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by AC

What world are you living in? :rolle
As much as i love my CLS, the bmw 330ci hands down is a better car. I am sorry, but, when i was in the market (2 yrs ago) GS400, and 330 were my options. Both of them were nice cars but way out of my range. If i could do it again, I probably would have taken the hit and got a 330 or GS. Handling, plain and simple, rear wheel drive. More control over the car.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Racer

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS

As much as i love my CLS, the bmw 330ci hands down is a better car. I am sorry, but, when i was in the market (2 yrs ago) GS400, and 330 were my options. Both of them were nice cars but way out of my range. If i could do it again, I probably would have taken the hit and got a 330 or GS. Handling, plain and simple, rear wheel drive. More control over the car.
I agree with you. I sometimes wish that I waited awhile too! Iwant a 2dr sports car but have a family. We have two cars but both come in handy with the kids, so If Igot a 2dr things wouldn't work out with the family thing The M5 is sorta on my list for next year but we will have to see...(maintenace wise).
Old 08-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Racer

this is turning into general car-talk

lets keep it about racing huh?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Racer

Originally posted by vinnydahitman

ooops!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by vinnydahitman

Ok . I bring back the gs vs cls

UM GS400_Pusher, I looked at your updated sig and i forfeit now. I am not going to race you with et times of 13.9. The SRT intake does that much for your performance with 20s on? I am going to have to race you when headers are installed. It be just a waste of gas. :o
Old 08-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro

Just testing my sig
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 PM

Funny, but I now rarely have races with the TL-S and CL-S. I used to have em all the time (mostly TL-S). I've seen quite a few 2nd gens in Hotlanta, and either it's a chic or the dude don't wanna play.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny, but I now rarely have races with the TL-S and CL-S. I used to have em all the time (mostly TL-S). I've seen quite a few 2nd gens in Hotlanta, and either it's a chic or the dude don't wanna play.
See, your're on nearly the other side of town... You need to drive out to the sticks to find the real action, Woodstock, GA...

Actually, no body around here plays except for the occaisional kid which I ignore. There are a couple of blown Cobras, but of course, that is not even in the realm of trying.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 PM
Racer

Ok . I bring back the gs vs cls

UM GS400_Pusher, I looked at your updated sig and i forfeit now. I am not going to race you with et times of 13.9. The SRT intake does that much for your performance with 20s on? I am going to have to race you when headers are installed. It be just a waste of gas. :o
Thoro ... That 13.9 was on my 17inch I think I would pull a 14.4 or 14.5 on my 20s but who knows could be alot slower Hope fully sometime this week I will get my TC put in and my 90K service done And yes the SRT Intake makes a BIG difference For the GS4xx it gives it atleast 20hp @ the tires We don't have to race it would be cool just to hang out and grab a bite to eat or something. It will be fun to hang out with another car Nutt
Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

I beg to differ

Originally posted by quikcls
e430 is slow, so don't even mention this car .

v8 with 275 hp, 0-60 in 6.2 sec, auto, that doesn't seem very slow to me for a 3700 pound car. Better do a little more research. I love the acura's bought one for my wife, also have a decently fast car but not going to sit here and say it's the best car in the world because it's not, it is what I liked and a good performer, I'm realistic in what I know I can beat and what I can't. Some of you guys need to tell the truth and not stretch it.

02 M3
93 mr2 turbo
02 3.2 tl
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Racer

Re: I beg to differ

Originally posted by silverm3

v8 with 275 hp, 0-60 in 6.2 sec, auto, that doesn't seem very slow to me for a 3700 pound car. Better do a little more research. I love the acura's bought one for my wife, also have a decently fast car but not going to sit here and say it's the best car in the world because it's not, it is what I liked and a good performer, I'm realistic in what I know I can beat and what I can't. Some of you guys need to tell the truth and not stretch it.

02 M3
93 mr2 turbo
02 3.2 tl
WELL PUT MAN!!!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:00 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Re: I beg to differ

Originally posted by silverm3

02 M3
93 mr2 turbo
02 3.2 tl
Thank you sir... I must have over looked the guy saying the e430 is slow. That is phucking crazy. Take off of an e430 is decent but it's the highway that is where i can't see my uncle. We had raced awhile ago, but, I do remember him climbing and climbing. He breached the hundreds way b4 i did and couldn't catch him until he slowed down. Remeber, benzs are for the autobahn. High speed. CLS = daily commuter, usa highways governed at 55 and 65. You have to test drive one to understand. My uncle is moving up to the E500 later this year, and I KNOW THAT WILL BE A BEAST. You won't here no stupid racing stories from my mouth then.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Pro

Re: Re: I beg to differ

Thank you sir... I must have over looked the guy saying the e430 is slow. That is phucking crazy. Take off of an e430 is decent but it's the highway that is where i can't see my uncle. We had raced awhile ago, but, I do remember him climbing and climbing. He breached the hundreds way b4 i did and couldn't catch him until he slowed down. Remeber, benzs are for the autobahn. High speed. CLS = daily commuter, usa highways governed at 55 and 65. You have to test drive one to understand. My uncle is moving up to the E500 later this year, and I KNOW THAT WILL BE A BEAST. You won't here no stupid racing stories from my mouth then.
You're actually selling yourself short. Again, your CLS is very fast off the line. And yes the V8's will normally beat the CLS on the highway but it won't "rape"you per say.

I have to admit that, yes my 540 is faster than TLS/CLS on the highway hands down but not like a Vette beating a stock Civic now. The E500, I don't think will be much faster than the E430. Faster? Yes, but much faster I don't know. i almost rear ended a SL500 new one, on the highway when we were racing. Beyond 130, it couldn't pull.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Advanced

I would not call the 330ci "a better car hands down". On the contrary it is close enough to make you think twice before paying 7-8K more for the car. With better tires, the CLS 6spd is a vertitable contender, I think.

Check this out:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...eywords=hobson's%20choice
Old 08-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Racer

Is that true that the 330ci runs 14.4 in the 1/4 Damn thats quick!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by stickman

I would not call the 330ci "a better car hands down". On the contrary it is close enough to make you think twice before paying 7-8K more for the car. With better tires, the CLS 6spd is a vertitable contender, I think.

Check this out:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...eywords=hobson's%20choice
Well maybe i should have put a IMO mark behind that statement. For the 7-8 you are paying more for a bmw look at what you get. Rattle free, tighter control, rear wheel drive, real lux interior, real wood (i don't know about bmw) and better tires and packages oh GERMAN ENGINEERING. Yes you may pay more for options but come on. We are talking a bmw to an acura. Performance wise, yes they may be on par with each other, but, I am kind of a(n) dickhead who wants to be in a status car. Getting older and MB(clk500, e500) and BMWs (330ci, m3) and audis (s4, a6) are looking mighty nice now. How long will i keep up street racing saying my acura is faster than your whatever? My cousins girl has a 325ci black w/red and black leather. That $hit is and that low-end bmw handles better than my cls. Way under powered tho. IMO And I am beginning to hate the statement that comes out of her mouth when we get at on the streets. So what I lose, i got a bmw.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Racer

Well maybe i should have put a IMO mark behind that statement. For the 7-8 you are paying more for a bmw look at what you get. Rattle free, tighter control, rear wheel drive, real lux interior, real wood (i don't know about bmw) and better tires and packages oh GERMAN ENGINEERING. Yes you may pay more for options but come on. We are talking a bmw to an acura. Performance wise, yes they may be on par with each other, but, I am kind of a(n) dickhead who wants to be in a status car. Getting older and MB(clk500, e500) and BMWs (330ci, m3) and audis (s4, a6) are looking mighty nice now. How long will i keep up street racing saying my acura is faster than your whatever? My cousins girl has a 325ci black w/red and black leather. That $hit is and that low-end bmw handles better than my cls. Way under powered tho. IMO
You not gonna get nothing thur anyones head like that No matter what BMW has that name for theirself and no one here is gonna take that away from them, Acura has came along way but its not gonna take the flag from the Germans anytime soon. As long as I can remember BMW was alway that name that stuck out its call (reputation) and its been there for years.....Shoot I think my Lex is a better buy than the BMW 540 but its reputation is whats keeping more people buying them.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

You not gonna get nothing thur anyones head like that No matter what BMW has that name for theirself and no one here is gonna take that away from them, Acura has came along way but its not gonna take the flag from the Germans anytime soon. As long as I can remember BMW was alway that name that stuck out its call (reputation) and its been there for years.....Shoot I think my Lex is a better buy than the BMW 540 but its reputation is whats keeping more people buying them.
A 540 is an overall better performance car than a GS400/430. Yes the GS is a few ticks faster in acceleration, but the handling of the 5 series is much better. Overall the 5 series is more of a drivers car than the GS. As for price you get what you pay for. Obviously there has to be something to account for the difference in price. I wish everyone could see the video that BMW supplies with a new car purchase of how they test/design/manufacture their cars. It is an amazing video and many people would change their minds when they see it concerning the price difference.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Maximized

A 540 is an overall better performance car than a GS400/430. Yes the GS is a few ticks faster in acceleration, but the handling of the 5 series is much better. Overall the 5 series is more of a drivers car than the GS. As for price you get what you pay for. Obviously there has to be something to account for the difference in price. I wish everyone could see the video that BMW supplies with a new car purchase of how they test/design/manufacture their cars. It is an amazing video and many people would change their minds when they see it concerning the price difference.
Exactly my point! See what I mean ....I could say for the price I payed for my GS4 which was 5 to 7K less I could make it better than the 540's handling, But I'm not gonna say it. Just like some of you guys with this CL-S and 330ci....everycar has its advantages and disadvantages
Old 08-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly my point! See what I mean ....I could say for the price I payed for my GS4 which was 5 to 7K less I could make it better than the 540's handling, But I'm not gonna say it. Just like some of you guys with this CL-S and 330ci....everycar has its advantages and disadvantages
I hate it when people say for the so and so i saved i can do this and that. Well if you want speed on a budget.... i can buy a 95 Mustang 5.0 and put the 30k I saved into it and run 11s plus outhandle pretty much anything on the road.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:00 PM

Hell for 30k you can either build a kit car that will smoke all our asses or add a supercharcher to just about any car!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:07 AM
Advanced

You guys are right, we need to stop justifying our purchases. You do get what you pay for. BMW provides more and you have to pay a little more. For example in Canada the CLS 6spd is under 42K and the equivalently equipped 330ci is around 55K. However, at that price the leather is more supple, the tires are better, the overall quality is better and performance is better (although the CLS 6spd comes very close for a bigger car with FWD and average tires).

So in the end it is all about price and personal preference. But regardless, we are all very fortunate to own such nice cars anyway.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Racer

You guys are right, we need to stop justifying our purchases. You do get what you pay for. BMW provides more and you have to pay a little more. For example in Canada the CLS 6spd is under 42K and the equivalently equipped 330ci is around 55K. However, at that price the leather is more supple, the tires are better, the overall quality is better and performance is better (although the CLS 6spd comes very close for a bigger car with FWD and average tires).

So in the end it is all about price and personal preference. But regardless, we are all very fortunate to own such nice cars anyway.
Well put!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

A good unbiased statement

02 silver M3
93 Mr2 turbo
02 3.2 tl
Old 08-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Official Lexus Wrecker

man i havent been here in a while and now there's another cl-s vs. gs4 thread. cool. i have posted this on ClubLexus and IS3.net and now i will post it here. there is an import showdown at silver dollar raceway in reynolds ga on the 29th of sept. 15 bucks to register and last year people could get like 15 to 20 runs. bracket racing at the end of the day for cash. hopefully we can have a good turnout and have some fun. if you are interested you can get all of the details here . im anxious to get back to the track with my new upgrades and see if i can redeem myself for that 15.1 ill go ahead and post this in the meets section as well. holla......

Doc

Old 08-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DrRick
there is an import showdown at silver dollar raceway in reynolds ga on the 29th of sept. 15 bucks to register and last year people could get like 15 to 20 runs.
Looks like I'll be showing up for this in my '03 6-Speed along with my father-in-law in his stock SC430. Thanks for the info, this should be fun.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
my god bro has a 01 GS 300 and his ex ( they broke up recently) has a Gs400.. drove them both before.
I dont know about gs 300 but GS 400 and Gs430 will smoke CLS 8 out of 10 times..or maybe 9 out 10 times. no doubts!!!!!
but could a CLS smoke a GS 400 or GS 430? it s believable,but RARELY =)
GS300's suspension feels like my avalon HAHAHA like a boat (but LOVE the interior)...and i raced with my god bro before (he s 23)..i won by less than 1 car length... i forgot up 2 what speed...
anywayz... my family would buy a lexus or a MBZ just cuz of their names.... and dont know shit about it.... if i ask my parents what a GS430 is.. they wouldnt know... if i show them what GS430 looks like on the road.. they would say OH they r lexus... if i ask them what they have in a GS... they would say... GOOD STUFF..cuz it s a LEXUS....
I will pick GS430 over CLS anyday !!! but not a GS300..cuz i dont see the point of it...
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

nice kill i guess
Old 09-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Maximized
Quit mag racing Russ. Your CL-S DOESNT HANDLE LIKE A 330I. The only thing it does like a 330i is circle around the skidpad at similar limits. LOOK at the slalom difference because Skidpad is a bragging point and is basically useless. The CL-S has 2 major strikes against it.....FWD and not being near 50/50 weight distribution.

On a track, where u can actually prove how a car REALLY handles the GS is better performer.
are you talking about an auto cl-s or 6 spd w/limited slip.
if you've mastered using the limited slip to your advantage it would be hard for me to believe the gs could take a 6spd cl-s on a road course. the 6spd car will pull you in any direction you want to go. all you have to do is hold on and hit the gas!
i can only imagine how well the other 6spd cars handle in this forum w/modded suspension & tires. i would race any stock gs on a road course stock tires an all...... $$$$

beside that fact that how many people road race an auto trans car anyways?
you don't have time for auto trans delays coming out of a corner.
but i agree 9 out of 10 times the gs will take the cl-s tin the 1/4.

03' cl-s 6spd w/navi taffeta white w/chrome fact.17's(drop in K&N)
03'tl-s pearL white/with factory spoiler (wifes car)
Old 09-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EVANCRUZ
but i agree 9 out of 10 times the gs will take the cl-s tin the 1/4
Not this GS vs CL-S6

Old 09-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
Not this GS vs CL-S6

nor this one

Quick Reply: CLS vs GS400 revisited! hehehehehe =)