CLS population

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS population

Do you like to see a lot cls out on the street? I don't know about other cls owners, but I would like to see less as possible. I just feel special if I'm the only diver in my neighborhood as oppose to 10 other divers driving the same car, like Honda Accord. Don't get me wrong b/c my wife drives Accord. Anyway what do you guys/gals think?
Old 02-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Pro

I hardly see any. Just last week a new one apeared at my school. I hope my car had some influence on the drivers idea topurchase it maybe I should let em know about acura-cl

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~
Old 02-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Team Owner

I don't see many in my area.
I like it that way.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Race Director

If you are the only one who wants a CL and is willing to buy one (let's say you're the only guy in the tri-state area), who are you going to sell your CL to when you are no longer fond of it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Accord-type numbers around either but I don't love my car that much.

Just a thought.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I never see CL's! Rarely if any! That's how I like it! I do see a shit load of 3 series though! hahaa

g

------------------
'01 Silver::TYPE-S
::Navi/Spoiler::
::Comptech Springs::
::18x8ADR Enigma & Toyos
::35%tint all around
::type-s license frame
::Muds
::Acura Winter Mats
Old 02-27-2001, 12:07 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

In my opinion, you get what you pay for pertaining to exclusivity. Pay around $30,0000 USD for a CL-S, you're bound to see more and more of them over time. After all, Acura is in this business to make money. And, limiting sales will just make them go bankrupt. Now, if you want a car that's more exclusive, go buy a Ferrari or any other car that's well into 6 figures.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to start anything or flame anyone. I really do love my car and enjoy driving it, but in the end it is just a big piece of metal and glass.

[This message has been edited by Satin Slayer (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-27-2001, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

I still don't see a lot of them, but I see them much more often than I used to. That's just fine with me. Resale be damned. I buy a car for me, not because it's going to be easy to sell when I want to get rid of it.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:10 AM
Instructor

I'm with you bud, the less I see the better.
However, here in Austin TX, I'm seeing WAY TOO MANY. Jesus, we only have one Acura dealer. For example, on the way to meet Ult for the first time, I swore I saw him 2 times before I got to the restaurant (silver CLS with spoiler). I would love for Acura to stop making the CLS, but I don't think Acura will stop making, by my standards, the best car I have ever had.

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i dont' see many at all. i see shawn's when i'm at the office, but that's like once a month.

by the way, saw the snow tires on today, shawn...they look pretty dope; i like them better than the cl-p wheels.

on the way home today, i had a cl (don't know if it was -s or -p) following me up 987 for a couple miles and turned off shortly after we got on 248.

i now know what our headlights look like when with the lights on in the dark (and stock road lamps).
Old 02-27-2001, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
don't worry about my car being around for a while; going to indonesia and the car's covered up in the driveway.

be back in 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:25 AM
ACME sucks!

I probably see 1 or 2 CL's a week. I see at least 10 TL's a week!

The fewer the better IMO.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-27-2001, 12:34 AM
Race Director

Yeah, I'm not trying to start a flame ware either and I know everybody has there own opinions, but let's be reasonable (we've had this conversation before):

This is not an exclusive car like a Ferrari so for a mere $30k, the lack of any on the road means it may be unpopular or overpriced or there are distribution problems or something similar. But it doesn't mean the car is cool or it's the greatest or it's too good for the rest of everybody else.

Those of you who say "who cares about the resale value" are only saying that right now. That's what I said about those Integras I use to own and I'm still reeling over it. When it came down to the end, I couldn't wait to send those cars to the junkyard and the same is true with a 10 year old CL Type fuc*ing piece of sh*t S. It's only glass and metal as SS said. Does anyone want to buy a Vigor today! Discontinue the CL...?

GoldTypeS, what is the definition of value? When they say Lexus and Acura and Honda holds their value (and that's a plus in this world in case you didn't know) doesn't that mean what's it is worth to someone else and not to you? Are you telling me that if they had a [huge] recall on this car and your particular car was not affected by the recall, you wouldn't even flinch? (For the record, I would be extremely disappointed). Again, not trying to flame but this seems unusual coming from you at age 30. I expected to hear this from some of our teen drivers who are bound to be upside down for a few cars as they climb to Ferrari-status. I bought the car for me, too, but I'm not [financially] foolish.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-27-2001, 01:07 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I don't see many in my area.
I like it that way.
</font>
I agree, you don't see that many in southeast PA. I too like it that way.

TLs on the other hand are a dime a dozen.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s
Old 02-27-2001, 01:09 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrdeeno:
i dont' see many at all. i see shawn's when i'm at the office, but that's like once a month.

by the way, saw the snow tires on today, shawn...they look pretty dope; i like them better than the cl-p wheels.
</font>
You won’t see it tomorrow.
It will be at your favorite place (LV Acura) getting the 7,500 service done.
I will be driving my BITCHIN Ford Taurus loaner car.

Indonesia, huh ??? Don’t drink the water.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-27-2001, 01:36 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Drove to my dealership this weekend. Out front was a dark grey MDX "Fully loaded". Had all the bells and whistles. Gorgeous vehicle, anyway, I noticed a little sign hanging from the rearview mirror "Not for Sale" ! There were mobs of people looking at this SUV. The price $47K. When I walked into the dealership, cause the MDX was out front, there sat a new NSX Silver hardtop ! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH, besides it was a 1999 Silver Carrea 2, 6 speed, black leather on sale for 67K, the NSX was on sale for only 80K from 88K. They had a RL that had a purplelish color that was awesome !! Somewhat like the blue in Canada, but with a purple tone to it. They were giving TL's away......

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 02-27-2001, 01:56 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

yeah, i am happy that i don't that many cls around, not only around where i live and work -- NY/NJ, but also now I am at San Fran for two weeks, I have seen so many IS300 here, and yet I only have seen one CLS, a black one.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
1000+ miles now and climbing
Old 02-27-2001, 04:03 AM
Race Director

I NEVER SEE IT!!!

I have NOOO clue how the hell Acura is selling these worth their while!

Honestly I am lucky if I see 1 CL a week!

Everyone still looks at my car saying "the new Type S" or "the new CL" as if it just came out.

If we all are saying there are not that many CL's then I am pretty sure Acura is really upset with the sales. I hope they discontinue it, so I would continue to be the ONLY person with the car.

Then again every other car i see is a TL. Man the TL is just doing so awsome, I sometimes wonder if Acura really had to make any changes at all.

The only time i see a CL is when I drive by the Acura dealership, they have a LOT and they have been their for a while...not selling at all around here.

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited 02-27-2001).]
Old 02-27-2001, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm starting to see more and more all the time now. Three people at work have bought one after I did. And yesterday I saw a gold one on rt3 headed towards the turnpike (anyone on the list?). The car is an excellent value it was bound to happen.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 02-27-2001, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

They're made about 30 miles away and I've only seen a couple of Type S, one for the first time this morning. I'm sure there are more, but the owners must not be in my daily commute.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
Silver
Just like it came from the dealer (except an ashtray)
Old 02-27-2001, 10:16 AM
Acura_CL

I saw a black S on 222 south arouns 5:45p yesterday. Other than that I see maybe three at the most. I agree, the fewer the better. I don't want it to be like a Mustang... every third car is some sort of spray painted horse's ass.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
Old 02-27-2001, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:

GoldTypeS, what is the definition of value? When they say Lexus and Acura and Honda holds their value (and that's a plus in this world in case you didn't know) doesn't that mean what's it is worth to someone else and not to you? Are you telling me that if they had a [huge] recall on this car and your particular car was not affected by the recall, you wouldn't even flinch? (For the record, I would be extremely disappointed). Again, not trying to flame but this seems unusual coming from you at age 30. I expected to hear this from some of our teen drivers who are bound to be upside down for a few cars as they climb to Ferrari-status. I bought the car for me, too, but I'm not [financially] foolish.

</font>

Actually, I could care less about resale anymore. It used to be really important to me. Let's face it, cars are a horrible investment no matter what, so it's a little bit silly to get all worked up over one car that has less resale than another car. I'm going through the exact same thing with buying a house right now. At first, I was totally obsessed with resale value. Is this house gonna be a good family house? Is this road it sits on too busy? Is the yard big enough? Is the neighborhood good enough? Blah blah blah. I was driving myself nuts. The reason is because the house I'm buying is brand spankin' new, in an area of 50+ yr old homes. It sits on a secondary road right behind a HIGH SCHOOL and the entire lot size is only 45 X 76! I'm sure many people think I'm absolutely NUTS for buying this house, but it is exactly what I want. I don't want a big yard I have to take care of. I could care less about the traffic (which isn't really that bad) and since the high school baseball diamond is right across the street, I have a completely unobstructed view of the mountains from my balcony. And no, the resale may not be very good compared to some cookie cutter house out in suburbia. But that's okay. I'll be 5 minutes from EVERYTHING I want to be close to. And this is in Phoenix... a city where you can easily get yourself into a 90 minute commute. You've got to do things for you and no one else. I know there are other home buyers out there that may want this house when I'm done with it. May not be a lot of them, but I know they're out there. And if it takes me a little longer to sell it, then so be it. If you're so concerned about losing money, then don't buy stuff!
Old 02-27-2001, 02:45 PM
Instructor

I have probably seen about 4 CLs in the Chicago area.. Non of them were really accesorized tho. The people that I have run into drive very conservatively.. I usually drive up next to them and try to show off to them what the car can do and what they are afraid to try with it :-). They're probably scared of getting ticketed, but that's no excuse for driving 5mph under the speed limit .Get a Radar Detector!! Driver's with older Cls usually stare with envy.. I'm glad Acura made such a big change in Styling on the 3.2 CL-S... Honda Civics and Accords really glare....I usually have my radio up so that might be the real case for the attention i get *LOL*...

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK &lt;&gt; EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA ~
~ GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE ~ ** ~ ROOF VISOR ~
~ MUD GUARDS ~ ** ~ WOOD TRIM KIT ~
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET ~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS ~
~ 35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors) ~
~ V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE ~
~ MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT ~
~ ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER ~
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Joey's Mistress
Old 02-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Here in Philly, they are becoming more frequent than when I first bought mine in August. There is even one in my neighboorhood, just around the corner, red s, maybe someone here. I see one black one downtown with Yellow Piaas, maybe Xypher's. This week my work moved outside of Philly and there is one silver in the lot just like mine but I am tinted HA. So there are some around, not like Accords, but some. Exclusivity is nice, because you feel somewhat special and different while not having to pay that much for it. I do see a ton of TLs though.
As far as resale value, this car should do well because it's a Honda w/great reliability, but also luxury, with performance edge. The only draw back of this car IMO is the 2dr, but other wise great car.

------------------
---------------------
'01 Satin Silver w/Black, Navi_less, spoiler, mud guards, wind deflector.
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Things to come: sub, air kit (if exists), maybe headers,K&N filter, CAI, and spring/sway combo.
Old 02-27-2001, 05:55 PM
Pro

It's rare to see CL(-S) in my area. I bet you can pick-out 10-miles of I-40 during afternoon rushhour and find one (mine). Same 10miles, gazzillions for camarys, accords, civics, and bimmers. I think you'ld find more bettles too.

I was at my acura dealer, and he said he sells 9 TLs -to -1 CL(-S). So where's did that ONE go, out-of-state!?
Old 02-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:
I see one black one downtown with Yellow Piaas, maybe Xypher's......
</font>
When and where did/do you see it? I am the only black w/yellow fogs I have seen in 6+ months anywhere around here.....

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 02-27-2001, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I rarely see Type-S' around here. Maybe 1 a week on the average. I still don't see many 1st gen models. Especially in my color. I'm with the majority here, I like the fact there aren't too many around....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-27-2001, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with RaleighNC, I have only seen one other CL-S which was silver since I have moved to NC about 3 months ago. Also in Charleston,SC.. I saw at least 10 CL-S sitting on the lot during the CHristmas time. I did see 2 gold type-S in Acura of Charleston the last time I was down there if anyone was lookin for one(about 2 weeks ago)!!

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards
Old 02-27-2001, 06:12 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

I never see too many. The times I've seen them I always take note, but there's just not been THAT many. One day, though, I must have seen three...that's alot for Tulsa.

dee

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 02-27-2001, 07:33 PM
Banned

You guys don't see them because you don't live in California....I think Acura sells about 40% of their cars here.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 02-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Instructor

i see a lot of TLs and pre-2001 CLs. i rarely see any CL-S's even tho there are a lot of forum members around here... but i don't mind. i probably see on average 2-3 per week driving along. i see more 3-series BMWs than CL-S.

------------------
'01 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Black Ebony
Old 02-27-2001, 11:57 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cDucTiVe:
i see a lot of TLs and pre-2001 CLs. i rarely see any CL-S's even tho there are a lot of forum members around here... but i don't mind. i probably see on average 2-3 per week driving along. i see more 3-series BMWs than CL-S.

</font>
what do you look like?
post pics
Old 02-28-2001, 02:25 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by uu:
yeah, i am happy that i don't that many cls around, not only around where i live and work -- NY/NJ, but also now I am at San Fran for two weeks, I have seen so many IS300 here, and yet I only have seen one CLS, a black one.

</font>
I've seen a number of CL type-S around here...seen only 2 CL-P, though (weird, huh?)

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prikid:
I've seen a number of CL type-S around here...seen only 2 CL-P, though (weird, huh?)

</font>
Cause people are willing to spend the extra 2K for an S....makes no sense to get a P if you want performance.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 02-28-2001, 06:57 PM
I love my G sedan

If about 400,000 Honda Accords were sold annually, then I want 50,000 CLs were sold per year. I don't want it to be way to popular and yet not too rare also. I think there are about 50,000 to 60,000 Lexus GS300/GS430 sold per year.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

in my area, which is very affluent, there are none!!! i have only seen 2 on the road in the month i own my car.no complaints from me though.
the 2nd day i am driving to work there is a mirror image of my car in front of me. damned if the b---h would even turn her head to look when i pulled up next to her. "i guess she wont be on this forum posting!!!!!!

------------------
01 BLK/BLK CL-S SPOILER
98 INFINITI I30T
99 MAXIMA SE
Old 02-28-2001, 11:25 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverCL225hp:
If about 400,000 Honda Accords were sold annually, then I want 50,000 CLs were sold per year. I don't want it to be way to popular and yet not too rare also. I think there are about 50,000 to 60,000 Lexus GS300/GS430 sold per year.</font>
Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Thanks Silver for saying this in a way I couldn't.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 03-01-2001, 03:45 AM
Advanced

I have seen very few in Fresno/central Cal.

------------------
CLS Blk/Blk, Wife ripping off