CLS AEM CAI available from Snook!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
CLS AEM CAI available from Snook!

http://www.autocarparts.com/Acura_CL/Acura_CL_TypeS.htm. $213. Check the bottom of the page.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 04:41 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's great to have Snook back. Well done on the rapid posting of the CAI. Just in time for spring.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next
Old 02-26-2001, 04:56 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
http://www.autocarparts.com/Acura_CL/Acura_CL_TypeS.htm. $213. Check the bottom of the page.

</font>
I just contacted them and they said that the piece does not come with a bypass valve. They said that I would have to cut the intake to install one..

Why wouldn't they make the intake with a bi-pass valve. Getting water into my engine, or prevention there of, would be one of my main deciding factor concerning which CAI to buy.

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (2" Drop)
Old 02-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good question. Maybe blxmjx could address it and/or find out why?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 02-26-2001, 05:00 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mishka420:
I just contacted them and they said that the piece does not come with a bypass valve. They said that I would have to cut the intake to install one..

Why wouldn't they make the intake with a bi-pass valve. Getting water into my engine, or prevention there of, would be one of my main deciding factor concerning which CAI to buy.
</font>
Cuz AEM is silly. :\

Either way... I dont think you have to worry about getting water in your engine.

Youd have to drive through a flood for that to happen...

People have been running CAIs for years without the bypass valve without trouble.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 02-26-2001, 05:08 PM
Banned

CAI's are CAI's. They are all basically the same.

If you are worried about having the "bypass valve" without having to cut the pipe yourself then consider the Xephyr, it comes already installed for less than the AEM, $200 shipped to your door.

But your choice, I am sure the AEM works just as well, same K&N cone filter, diameter of tubing and everything...

But to each his own...

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-26-2001, 05:20 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
If you are worried about having the "bypass valve" without having to cut the pipe yourself then consider the Xephyr, it comes already installed for less than the AEM, $200 shipped to your door.

</font>
Do you think there is a significant power difference between AEM and Xephyr??

Changing the engine after hydro-locking on a civic will cost you a couple of hundred. On CL-S, it will cost a couple of thousand. And NO, the warranty will not cover this kind of damage.!!!!!

------------------
Old 02-26-2001, 05:24 PM
Banned

Do you think there is a significant power difference between AEM and Xephyr??

On CL-S, it will cost a couple of thousand. And NO, the warranty will not cover this kind of damage.!!!!!
</font>
Probably not much difference between the two. Any CAI will gain between 5-10 hp, so I have been told and have had experience with.

And yes, hydrolocking the engine will cost some major $$$ if it happens to occur, and without the bypass valve, I know warranty will not cover, if it is there is will be a little harder for them not to cover, the will have to prove that the bypass valve failed. This is hard to do, b/c they work very well and are tested extremely well.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-26-2001, 05:31 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
Probably not much difference between the two. Any CAI will gain between 5-10 hp, so I have been told and have had experience with.
</font>
You have a Xephyr CAI, right?? How do you like it?

Have you noticed significant increase in power?

------------------
Old 02-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Banned

You have a Xephyr CAI, right?? How do you like it?

Have you noticed significant increase in power?
</font>
Yeah, I have the Xephyr CAI. I like it, pretty easy to install, no professional required, and not much car experience either

As for the power, it is definitely there. Greater sound and noticeable power increase from 3800 rpm on, when VTEC kicks in ever greater sound and power.

I haven't dyno'd mine yet, but I think others are going too. I am expecting about a 7-10 hp gain at the wheels and about 12-15 hp at the fly.

Definitely worth it. You can read all about my install and experience so far at Xephyr's testimonial page on his site:
www.xephyrperformance.com

Keep those questions coming, if you have anymore! I will keep trying to answer them!

------------------
avengerjr

girlfriend
Old 02-26-2001, 06:27 PM
Pro

avengerjr,

There's a slight difference between the AEM and Xephyr's CAI. The difference is in the design of the velocity stack that's incorporated into the AEM filter, vs Xephyr's non-existing one. This may help improve air flow to the TB; however, I honestly don't think it would make a significant difference in performance between the 2 intakes.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-26-2001, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Just got off the phone with Tim. He said that my order will be shipping out tomorrow. This guy is great. You guys can stop reading here, but I wanted to tell you about my experience with them. They are great. I had a problem with my credit card. I just changed my address online cuz I recently moved. So when I was paying for it online, the address didn't match up. I tried sending it a lot of times and it didn't go through. But for some crazy reason my credit card company still gave like five authorizations. That sent me over the limit, I usually use a low limit credit card to order online cause of fraud and stuff. But at any rate, Tim said he would ship out the intake anyway and just told me to wait until those transactions clear and then send him payment afterwards. His words was that he trusts me cuz I'm a member of the board. Membership does have it's privileges!
Old 02-26-2001, 07:36 PM
foolio at heart

The CAI does not come with a bypass valve because that is an added option that you may choose to purchase seperately. It is much easier to manufacture a kit w/out the cut and have people add the bypass valve themselves later if they choose. I am definitely not going to utilize a bypass valve for mine because its not necessary where i live. I'm glad that there is no cut because it looks cleaner that way. If the purchaser would like a bypass valve they can order it and easily cut and install it themselves. FDAO is correct the aem kit consists of an exclusive K&N filter with a built in velocity stack which has been dyno tested to produce a couple of extra ponies. SNook would be a good choice to purchase from. He has been very accomodating with questions about pricing for me in the past and seems like a great guy. BTW you would really need to be in some pretty deep water to hydrolock the motor. my car is dropped pretty low and the filter still sits about 10 inches above the ground.
Old 02-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

looks ultra interesting.... lemme save a bit to get this... how does it sound in general at idle?

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 02-26-2001, 07:56 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about water splashes? I guess this is more common then driving in a pond of whater 10" high. After all, if the water is higher than the door level, no way I would drive in that condidtion.

------------------
Black, Eboney, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 02-26-2001, 07:57 PM
foolio at heart

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YuppieCL:
looks ultra interesting.... lemme save a bit to get this... how does it sound in general at idle?

</font>
At idle the car sounds entirely stock unless you stick your head close to where the filter is then you can hear the hissing sound the filter makes.
Old 02-26-2001, 08:01 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blxmjx:
BTW you would really need to be in some pretty deep water to hydrolock the motor. my car is dropped pretty low and the filter still sits about 10 inches above the ground. </font>
I'll go with both you and FDao that the AEM has the velocity stack on the filter, won't make much of a difference, but still like you said AEM has it Xephyr's does not.

Onto your point that it takes pretty deep water to hydorlock an engine. This is not entirely true. Even a foot of water, even in your case, with you filter around 10 inches above the ground, will hydrolock a car. And it doesn't take much or even one low-lying area at the bottom of a hill or anywhere to accumulate 1 ft of water. Now granted probably nothing will happen, but I would still rather not want to take my chances.

And to you point about the 1 piece making it look cleaner, I don't think that is the case, it may look more together, but the Xephyr bypass valve, looks clean and fits very well with the entire CAI. I don't think it looks bad or unclean at all.

Again, not disputing anything anybody has said, but in my personal experience and thoughts, well there they are.

------------------
avengerjr

girlfriend
Old 02-26-2001, 08:09 PM
foolio at heart

Thats the great thing about all of this. Everyone is entitled to there own personal views and preferences. The Xephyr fulfills your needs and thats great and the AEM fulfills mine . We can't ask for anything more. At least now we have three CAI to choose from vs. zero last month, right?

Remember though it's not actually a "Xephyr bypass valve", its actually an "AEM bypass Valve" on a Xephyr CAI.
Old 02-26-2001, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

All you folks worried about hydrolocking an engine with the CAI, do not, do not, drive through water over the road unless you are absolutely sure of how deep it isn't. 10 inches of water is way too deep to be driving through, with or without a bypass valve.
Old 02-26-2001, 08:17 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blxmjx:
Thats the great thing about all of this. Everyone is entitled to there own personal views and preferences. The Xephyr fulfills your needs and thats great and the AEM fulfills mine . We can't ask for anything more. At least now we have three CAI to choose from vs. zero last month, right?

Remember though it's not actually a "Xephyr bypass valve", its actually an "AEM bypass Valve" on a Xephyr CAI.
</font>
Yeah, I know...I was just stating that the Xephyr has one...I know it is the AEM bypass valve.

But I couldn't agree more with your statment that: "We can't ask for anything more. At least now we have three CAI to choose from vs. zero last month"

Too true, too true!

------------------
avengerjr

girlfriend
Old 02-26-2001, 08:19 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by freeszx:
All you folks worried about hydrolocking an engine with the CAI, do not, do not, drive through water over the road unless you are absolutely sure of how deep it isn't. 10 inches of water is way too deep to be driving through, with or without a bypass valve.</font>
Not worried, I was just stating that 10 inches or more of water can gather in an area rather quickly. I myself, never plan on driving through an area like that if I had a CAI with or without a bypass valve, or even with the stock airbox with its filter. Like you said, that is too much water to even try to drive through.

------------------
avengerjr

girlfriend
Old 02-26-2001, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ummm.... someone.... anyone.... can I borrow $213???

pleeeeeeeeeeeeze???
Old 02-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Instructor

it does look like the AEM will yeild a little bit higher hp. The design is straight through, less turbulent.

And why would, with all the time that AEM has been designing this thing, they make a CAI that destroy our engines? I'm thinking, if they thought the CAI needed the bypass valve, they would of put the damn thing on there in the first place. The bv is one of their products and would only bring in more $ for them if they did?

Don't know if all that made sense, but I'd like some answer to all these concerns before I buy a CAI. This indecision is p*$*#( me off.

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-27-2001, 12:12 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

You know what bypass stands for?....
Bring me Your Pennies And Spend them Sucka!

Do you guys have any idea how long AEM CAI's have been made? For the 4 people that have hydrolocked an engine driving through a flash flood AEM says,"hmmm.... we can manufacture a 14 cent piece and sell it for 40 bucks to prevent "hydrolocking".

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next
Old 02-27-2001, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I was under the impression that the K&A filter was water proof to begin with. They have been used on offroad trucks for years for that purpose. Spashes should not be a concern, and a guy with a jeep I know submerged his engine and it stalled when the air cut off but no water entered the engine.
The K&N cleaning kits include the reoiler that again was designed to trap dirt and keep water out. Just my 2cents, YMMV....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 02-27-2001, 01:18 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
why don't we call Tim and arrange a group buy?

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 02-27-2001, 01:46 AM
I love my CL-S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Astroboy:
why don't we call Tim and arrange a group buy?

</font>
excellent idea....i am in for sure...

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
Old 02-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm in... How do we do it?

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-27-2001, 12:08 PM
10th Gear

There's already one going on at this website

AEM CAI $180 shipped
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=1946

AEM Bypass Valve for $40 shipped http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=1882

Hope this helps :-)

Old 02-27-2001, 12:36 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Montreal CL-S:
There's already one going on at this website

AEM CAI $180 shipped
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=1946

AEM Bypass Valve for $40 shipped http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=1882

Hope this helps :-)

</font>
Crazedluni already asked the host if he had them available...

CRAZEDLUNI Need CAI for a 01' CL type S Acura 2/13/01 10:54:57 PM
(host) Auto Image Enhancement CRAZEDLUNI - Nothing for that car yet. Sorry. 2/15/01 7:52:44 PM

So the host of that group buy doesn't have access to order the AEM CAI's, or so it seems. I would suggest going through Tim anyway and giving him the business.

------------------
avengerjr

girlfriend
Old 02-27-2001, 01:53 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think Tim does group buys. He never used to...

Guess it cant hurt to ask though.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 02-27-2001, 01:54 PM
Racer

Well it's woth a shot. I am in.

------------------
Why buy a special edition car and not drive it like it was meant to be driven
Old 02-27-2001, 04:43 PM
I love my CL-S

hmm..i trust tim more....he has good service..i got my piaa from tim as well..
it would be nice if he take group buy..

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
Old 02-27-2001, 04:51 PM
9th Gear

How many of your are interested in a AEM GroupBuy. I might be able to set one up. I know they have limited supply and is only available in Blue and Red right now... Get me count and I will work on the price..

Ray
eBAY: PowerSeller!!

***** My Other Post *****
Hi All,

This is my first post so I want to introduce my self. My name is Raymond Lee and I'm a PowerSeller on eBAY. I currently sell lots of stuff including AEM. A few people have emailed me regarding the application from AEM so I always keep a keen interest on this model. My buddy also has a Type S too so he'll be getting it directly from me. I am in the process of finding out the exact details for this Cold Air intake.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Normally, the AEM Cold Air comes in three colors (Silver, Blue, Red), I spoke to AEM this morning that they told me that the Silver is on back ordered already and that the Blue and Red are available in limited supply.

I will find out more information and repost to this message..

FYI: The AEM Cold Air is the industry standard and makes the most power of any intakes. It’s dyno-tested to this fact. I have customers with Integra Type R who told me that it his AEM Cold Air make lots more power on the low end compared with his ICEMAN Cold Air.

Ray Lee
eBAY: PowerSeller
225+ Positive Feedbacks and 0 Negatives...
Old 02-27-2001, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just sent an email to him, waiting for response......

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-27-2001, 08:22 PM
I love my CL-S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I just sent an email to him, waiting for response......

</font>
any good news yet?

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
Old 02-27-2001, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Ray,
I'd be interested if the price with the bi-pass valve is no more than $220 shipped. If seperate then $170 shipped for the CAI would be reasonable. Do you have any Bi-pass valve left in your stock pile?
BTS

------------------
Bullet-TypeS
'01 Acura CL Type S
San Marino Red/Spoiler/ Mud guards/Fenderwell trim/Wheel locks/Front-end cover/ PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow bulbs/CAI (coming soon)...
Old 02-28-2001, 03:30 AM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I was under the impression that the K&A filter was water proof to begin with. They have been used on offroad trucks for years for that purpose. Spashes should not be a concern, and a guy with a jeep I know submerged his engine and it stalled when the air cut off but no water entered the engine.
The K&N cleaning kits include the reoiler that again was designed to trap dirt and keep water out. Just my 2cents, YMMV....

</font>
The K&N filter in no way is water resistant or water proof. If it were, it would be very difficult to clean and reuse the filter. This about when you are washing the filter, water passes right through.

As for your friend, he should just consider himself lucky.

Old 02-28-2001, 05:45 AM
Instructor

I'm in on the group buy if possible. I think it would be cool if we buy from Tim. He has been one of the long-standing supporters here.

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...

Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS
Tint | airbox gutted - waiting for AEM CAI| resonator replaced by straightpipe | 12" JL Audio sub
PIAA 19170s | spoiler

14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile - Take that Car&Driver!!
Old 02-28-2001, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here is Tim's response;

Hay Steve,

Yes the AEM CAI is now available for the CL-S in red and blue.
1. Why doesn't it have the bypass valve?
The intake, along with many other
AEM intakes, is a 1 piece. If you wanted to add the bi-pass valve you
would
have to cut the pipe
2. Isn't the K&N filter waterproof, why do you need a bypass valve?
No the filter in not water proof
The bi-pass is used, just incase you drive your car through a deep
puddle
and will prevent the intake from sucking in water. You will not suck up
water
through the intake by just driving in the rain. Part of the intake would
have to
be submerged.
3. What are the performance improvement spec's?
I believe it is 10 hp...
4. Can we get a group buy? No, sorry I don't do group buys

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Best Regards,
Tim Piscitelli
http://www.autocarparts.com

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS

Quick Reply: CLS AEM CAI available from Snook!