CL w/ Changer & Nav + XM Installers say impossible... PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL w/ Changer & Nav + XM Installers say impossible... PLEASE HELP!!!

I’m writing in the hope that folks here will know more about XM installation than the dopes at CC, BB, and so far, ALL the car stereo stores here in Santa Cruz. Here’s the deal:

I have a 2001 Acura CL Type S with navigation and in-dash CD changer. After hours on the web and about 30 phone calls I found that I have an unused CD changer port behind my console and can indeed have a Delphi or Commander direct-connected to my existing sound system. Blitzsafe was absolutely instrumental in helping me figure this out (got questions call Christian at Blitz – 209-569-5000, the guy is a wiz!)

Great thought I, no cassette connection, no FM modulator, best possible sound! All I needed was a an installer to do the work.

Well EVERY single installer I spoke to argued that direct connect was impossible regardless of the parts, because there is no input for direct connect on the Delphi or the Commander (Blitz makes a connection for the Commander as well - #HON-XM-DMX-CMD V.1). No less than 5 guys insisted I was wrong, that the Blitzsafe part was only for XM ready radios and tried to sell me an FM modulator (or depending on who I was talking to, a cassette connection).

I left local shops, BB and CC EXTREAMLY frustrated!

Of course by the time I got home Blitz, who is on the east coast, was closed.

So help, please, am I crazy, is the Blitz guy pulling my leg or just wrong, is it true that it’s impossible to direct connect the Delphi or Commander b/c they have no output for direct connection. Or are the Stereo install guys just completely clueless.

BTW- I got this from Bose this morning -

"Hello Mike, Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bose Music System in your 2001 Acura CL. In answer to your question the factory installed head unit does not offer additional ports for adding after market components. You will need to use and after market adapter/fm modulation to use this type of format.Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation. Patty Bolack Consumer Relations Division"

Yet I see that people are using the Blitzsafe connection so please can you give me the real scoop. Feel free to write or call 831-661-0186. One thing if a woman answers the phone don't tell her why you're calling, this is meant as a christmas gift for her.
m_j_salerno@sbglobal.net

Mike

One more thought, is using a seperate head unit a better soultion than the delphi or commander?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Drifting

As long as whatever other external module you are trying to plug into your headunit with the Blitz adapter has RCA (left and right) audio inputs it will work. I've plugged everything from a laptop, ipod, mp3 players, dvd players, and so on in. Most if not all aftermarket units also use RCA for external devices so I can't imagine the XM not having RCA ports.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There IS a blitzsafe adaptor that will allow you to input a signal into your headunit. As Christian told you there is a cd changer port in the back of your headunit and blitzsafe makes an adaptor that fits into it. This adaptor has 2 rca's (left and right or red and white) that are on one end a connection for the back of your headunit on the other end. Once installed you press the cd changer button on your headunit thice and you are listening to an aux. source.

That being said, I am not sure what adaptor blitzsafe might make to actually allow you to have xm on your headunit. By this I mean you will, as far as I know, need to control the xm satellite with an xm control module and the only thing the headuint will do is receive the sound.

I hope this makes sense...
Old 12-14-2003, 09:38 PM
9th Gear

Hey MJS.

I'm planning on putting a XM commander in my 2003 cl in a few weeks. I've seen plenty of people say that the blitzsafe adapter works on the CL and gives the ability to connect any audio source with RCA outputs.

The XM commander has RCA line outputs, so as long as the above claim is right, then you're all set.

As far as I know, the delphi units don't have RCA line outputs.

Also you'll have to control the XM radio through the XM radio controll/remote, not your factory head unit (except volume).

Does anyone heppen to know if the blitzsafe adapter will also work for the 2003 cl?

The BB/CC people I've taked to about installing them know nothing about the blitzsafe adapters
Old 12-15-2003, 09:23 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely how this will work for you is like this ,The blitzsafe will send a digital signal directly into the unused CD changer port on the back of your stock radio .You will still need to use the aftermarket controller to tune in the different stations on XM .So when you turn the radio on and push the CD button on the face of the headunit you will either turn on the in dash 6 disc or you will turn on the Blitz device which turns on your XM decoder (whatever brand it is) .Now you will still need to use the display panel to select your stations but you will at least have the true digital sound and not FM modulator quality .Volume will be controlled by the headunit but station selection must be done from the aftermarket XM decoder .

Jens
Old 12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
9th Gear

HEY salb!!!!!

... and everyone else, thanks you all so much for the help, I got it worked out and i've ya'll to thank for that. Blessings to you!

ANYWAY HEY salb!!!!!

I have a great link for you! GO here, follow the directions and you'll get the best deal on the Commander in the country

http://tweak.us/xmradio.html

Peace!

Old 12-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Banned

thats great so you will still have digital quality dude....get it then if it will sound like a CD and just professionally install the tuner face to the dash...now that would be phat.

If you ask me changing the pioneer deck that acura comes with is the best thing you can do. The Bose amp and speakers are OK but the signal that the radio gives out is shit. I would upgrade to something else and metra kit. Alpine radio are XM ready so all you need is the module and antenna and the radio acts as the tuner. not only that but the signal to noise on Alpine is 105db while the shitty Pioneer are and like 95 db..the higher the number the better...the Iva-d900 has 115db so you get no hissing noise during cd playback when you crank it.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro

ok guys here you go it can be done no problemhttp://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal..._dmxpiov1.html
Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 PM
1 Phat CL !

ok my installers are westbury CC, those guys know their shit only in "install", i researched the parts and how to do it on my own, I got blizsafe aux input, order fm modulator XM pioneer tuner box, and then ordered a special rca output for the pio Xm tuner box. and that is connected with Rca which goes directly into my aux input(blitzsafe adapter) and bang! instant direct input Cd quality sound from Pioneer fm mod tuner.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
1 Phat CL !

or u can order what Types1967 said but i use my aux input for my tv too.