CL/TL debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 07:10 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL/TL debate

okay here's the deal. I know for sure I'm saving for a (either CL/TL) but I debating on which to get. I like the CL cause a hot rod is suppose to be a 2 door(but I've seen some fast 4 doors like Jettas,and Maximas.) on the other hand I like the 4 door(TL) cause #1 you can get all those factory ground effects
#2 I got a 4 door now and I like it when I wanna throw something in the back I just open the door throw it in and i'm done.
I'M not knocking either car(lets face it they're brother and sister practically) I'm at this point leaning toward the TL but it's a good price jump for a CL type S with Navigation auto(decently equipted(online at Acura.com around 32-33 grand) for a TL type S with Navi with the ground effects and similar options it's about 36 grand
Old 04-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't have regular back-seat passengers, a coupe is usually nicer for the driver because you typically have a longer door so it's nicer to get in and out of. The car is generally a little stiffer. The TL has a very nice conservative look; the CL may or may not look better to you, but it is a little more interesting looking, good or bad (it took a little getting used to for me, but once you do it's easy to see it has nicer lines). Because of the shape, I think some colors look better on the CL (the highlight-heavy Aegean Blue Pearl seems to benefit from the CL's rounder body, for instance).

The TL is more in demand and therefore costs more and has better resale value.

Anyway, that's all I could think of off the top of my head--I like coupes, so there was never a question for me, and certainly the manual tranny made it a no-brainer. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Subie Dubie

I'd go CL-S for most of the reasons above, plus you can probably get a better deal. I think they look better, especially after lowering.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:26 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no question about it... TL ownz!

reasons why I got it over CL:
1) TL looks better
2) versatility of 4-doors (my last car was a coupe.. got sick putting up the seats so ppl could get in back)
3) better resale
4) better looking seats
5) i dont think a coupe should be as big as the CL is
5) TL looks better
Old 04-11-2002, 08:29 PM
4dr & I like it that way

The new TL's (02/03) with the updated front look better then the new CL's in my opinion. The headlights alone are much better, but also the front lip has a nice shape to it, alomst looks like the front piece of the 99-01 TL body kit. I chose a TL since I needed the extra space. They really are pretty much the same care. Oh and you can fix the TL's too soft suspension easily by getting spings
Old 04-11-2002, 08:38 PM
go like hell

uh oh i hear a challenge between CL owner vs TL owners
by the way guys I can't get springs cause of Ohio winters.(I'm so bad that I'm probably gonna keep my stock rims and tires for winter and my "fancy rims" for late spring/summer.) but no offence to the "CLers" I'm leaning more toward the TL guys.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro

get the TL for one main reason , resale value. The TL keeps its value way better. Even though I love my CL and would choose it over the TL ( just love coupes ) .
Old 04-11-2002, 10:57 PM
O.G.

Get the TL for all the reasons stated. Nothing like a hooked up TL with rims, dropped, and a bodykit!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

If you have a family get a TL, if you want to look cool get a CL.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
TL is more of a family/business car. CL looks much sportier, and feels more like a sports car. I drove a TL-S as a loaner when I was getting my tranny replaced and it felt stodgy to me..boring. CLS is the way to go if you want the feel of a lux. sport coupe. Realize this is all opinion; drive both and buy what suits you.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:46 AM
4dr & I like it that way

Samne engine, same transmission, same wheel base. Maybe you forgot to take the parking break off
Old 04-12-2002, 07:07 AM
'Cooter

im a single guy...been out of college only 2 years...not planning on having a family for a long time...y should i get a 4 door??

1. space?? - there's plenty of space in the back seat and the trunk...i had 4 people in the car and a weekend's worth of luggage for us squeezed in the trunk...yes the back's tight, but guess what, the TL is only half an inch longer, so sacrifices have to b made in space all around, and im not sacrificing anything i like my spacious driving area

2. family?? - very logical, but doesn't apply to me

3. resale value?? - again very logical, however since i'm 2nd to Shawn in "anal'ness" (i'm attempting to b complimentary, not critical) , i feel that i can get a fair price on my baby through a private sale so i can go out and buy the Z-roadster in a couple years!!

i guess it's up to each situation to warrant a well thought-out decision...for me, the decision was simple...for other's, i can understand that it may b more difficult...but hey, the tough choice between 2 and 4 doors is a good one to have
Old 04-12-2002, 07:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Where did all the TL bums come from on this CL board?
I guess I am one of them also get the TL. I say that because if you have or plan on having kids car seats can be a pain with a 2 door car. This is not to say that I don't like the CL but I like 4 doors now. I had a 94 ACCORD EX also it was a 4 door I also had a 90 ACOORD LX with 4 doors. I made the switch after 10yrs of owning a 2 door 1980 Prelude. The car seat was a pain & people getting in & out the back seat. What ever model you get you will enjoy.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Davediego
Samne engine, same transmission, same wheel base. Maybe you forgot to take the parking break off
actually, the wheelbase is different.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by FTM-1
Where did all the TL bums come from on this CL board?
I guess I am one of them also get the TL. I say that because if you have or plan on having kids car seats can be a pain with a 2 door car. This is not to say that I don't like the CL but I like 4 doors now. I had a 94 ACCORD EX also it was a 4 door I also had a 90 ACOORD LX with 4 doors. I made the switch after 10yrs of owning a 2 door 1980 Prelude. The car seat was a pain & people getting in & out the back seat. What ever model you get you will enjoy.
and you ain't lying.

i was in tx, met this chick and got involved, but she has 2 kids, one 2 year old that required a carseat.

man, i wish i had a SUV.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:01 PM
go like hell

ah just duct tape the car seat to the trunk lid or you could be like most mustang owners give the kid a mullet hair cut(reguardless if the kid a boy or girl) and have mom hold them.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Davediego
The new TL's (02/03) with the updated front look better then the new CL's in my opinion. The headlights alone are much better, but also the front lip has a nice shape to it, alomst looks like the front piece of the 99-01 TL body kit. I chose a TL since I needed the extra space. They really are pretty much the same care. Oh and you can fix the TL's too soft suspension easily by getting spings
Yea, but TL has alot more flaws than the CL. They have alot more Tranny failures, alot of rattles from dash to sunroof, to rear area. And they look like a family car instead of a sporty younger persons car. The CL seems to be a bit better made since no one really seems to have rattle problems. Mine is still solid.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thholr
get the TL for one main reason , resale value. The TL keeps its value way better. Even though I love my CL and would choose it over the TL ( just love coupes ) .
Actually has any one here ever looked up the BB on the cars? I just did on multiple sites.

Since the TL didn't have a Type-S I had to compare the CL and the TL without the S.

A 2001 for both models...

TL = 27,625 is retail price right now you can get one for without nav.

CL = 25,940 retail again without nav.

Now if anyone remembers, the CL is not as expensive as the TL from the start. The difference between the 2 is about how much they are NEW.

I don't see a difference in resale vaule in my honest opinion. So get off the resale value kick.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:02 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

This is mainly up to you mang. I wanted a 2 door so badly cause my previous car was a 4 door accord. But the CL's roundish design did not cut it. a sports coupe supposed to look sharp. So I opt for the TL...the reason is i love the new face lift..and the rear tails. Also....ever since the Type S for the TL...the age gorup has lowered dramatically IMO. I know a few that is still in High School with 2002 TL-S Alotta young drivers with this car...yet..still alotta older people. but who cares, as long as I see the OEM kit..I give them props! But this is up to you..I don't mind having 4 doors again...never carry passengers much. hum......now...why did I get another 4 door.....
Old 04-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet

Yea, but TL has alot more flaws than the CL. They have alot more Tranny failures, alot of rattles from dash to sunroof, to rear area. And they look like a family car instead of a sporty younger persons car. The CL seems to be a bit better made since no one really seems to have rattle problems. Mine is still solid.

Only reason you hear more about TLs problems.. is because the TL sells alot more than the CL does. So there are more TL owners out there. :P
Old 04-14-2002, 03:06 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA

Only reason you hear more about TLs problems.. is because the TL sells alot more than the CL does. So there are more TL owners out there. :P
hahaha Jesal!
Old 04-14-2002, 03:16 PM
Banned

Oh? I see 5k+ members here, and TL.com has in the 3k~ of members. They are always posting about quality problems, rattles. etc. So that is false for the clubs comparing. In real world, who knows, we don't see the complaints.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:17 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TL

CL

I'm done
Old 04-14-2002, 04:04 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the CL-S it's faster.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:05 PM
go like hell

geez for basically being the same car(other than 2 door vs 4 door) there's some rivary
I'm just worried about that issue someone brought up about the quality of CL vs TL.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Either one you pick will be nice. I bought the tl because I like 4 doors . I would of bought the cl but just got rid of a 98 accord v6 coupe. You will be sick of a 2 dr real fast if you know alot of people and you dive them . Its a pain in the arse to move the seats all the time and to hear people in the backseat complaining to scoot the seat up . Get the tl !!!
Old 04-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Silver Surfer CLS

I think there are more things to take into consideration other than the obvious style differences (i.e. 4 vs 2 doors, round vs square etc)

1) The CLS can come with a 6 speed the TLS can't
2) The CLS has factory door tweaters the TLS a rear deck subwoofer instead
3) The seats in the CLS are way better lateral support the TLS seats are just fair.
4) The CLS has no body kit the TLS has a factory kit.
5) The CLS has oval exhaust tips and the TLS has round straight tips.

That is about all the notable stuff. But I think the biggest in the bunch here are transmission type and interior comfort. My good friend just got a 2003 TLS and it is very nice but I am still very happy I have my CLS when they are parked next to each other. I have no doubts that I made the right choice.

It is all up to you. Don't worry about resale value either. If you bought a car for its resale value then you might as well not even buy it. It should be for pure enjoyment. I would never get a different model and second guess my decision everyday just cause I wanted a better resale in 5 years. Plus what good is the resale valuse of a CL vs a TL if you have to pay 3k extra just to get the TL?????? It all works out in the end

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-14-2002, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet
Oh? I see 5k+ members here, and TL.com has in the 3k~ of members. They are always posting about quality problems, rattles. etc. So that is false for the clubs comparing. In real world, who knows, we don't see the complaints.
Good point, but one thing you might not know... A-Cl.com you have to register to see the forum, and on A-tl.com you dont have to register to browse the forum. So just because there are more people registered here, doesnt mean there arent more TL owners on the other board as guests.

Also, most of those people who registered dont post much, here and there. :P
I know for a fact if TL owners needed to register on the A-tl.com site, then it would be well over 5k people.

Also, I really dont think the TL is better, its just the same car as the CL. But i do love the CLS seats!!! And there are not as many CLS on the road as TLS, thats another reason i like the CLS. I didnt make up my mind on which car to get till i went to the dealer. I kinda had to flip a coin. If you are going to ge the TLS, then i say wait till the 2004 model is you can. Rumor has it that it will be all new.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA

I agree 100% with this & was just about to post it.
But this is becomming a good pi--ing contest mine is bigger than yours I have 4 doors you have 2. I could live with a CL if I did not need 4 doors its okay.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to think that the CL was a better looking car than the TL, but not anymore.

I don't like changes to the CL for '03, especially the headlights and grill. But I do think the TL looks much better now with its revised grill and headlights.

So I've gotta say that the TL is the better looking of the two now.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

another biggy no one mentioned is that the cl can only hold 4 people max 'cuz there's no center seat in the rear.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mrdeeno
another biggy no one mentioned is that the cl can only hold 4 people max 'cuz there's no center seat in the rear.
What I thought you could get 3 people in the rear seat.
I have set in the CL at the dealer but did not pay any mind to the back seat. How dumb could I be & just took a look at Automobile Magazine 2/02 issue that has the 03 CL Type-S. It says vehicle layout 2 door 4 passenger.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

the tl has the rear bench seat with a cushion in the middle. the cl has the 2 bucket style seats and a hard storage thing in the middle. i guess someone could sit on that, but there's no seatbelt and it may be hard on the ass over bumps.