CL-S vs. NOS Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 06:05 AM
Xan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S vs. NOS Prelude

Hey all! I'm new to this board and thought I might share something interesting that happened to me recently.

I was cruising around a few nights ago on my favorite long haul of a main road when I noticed a riced-out Mitsubishi Mirage a few cars up ahead of me in traffic. I made a few mild efforts to catch up with him to excercise my VTEC skills but didn't have much luck. Well, they catch up with a 97 or so Prelude that was in front of them and obviously want some action. The Prelude and Mirage ride next to each other going real slow waiting for a red light to stop them. Well, traffic clears up some and I catch up and ride behind them for awhile wanting to see which one of them will win the race they're both waiting for. No luck, the lights just aren't turning red for them. Just as I start to get bored I hear a loud hiss and see a cloud of nitrous blast from the Prelude's trunk. I immediately start laughing hysterically and think about how badly the Mirage is gonna get it. So I stay behind them for several more minutes, still no red lights. My patience finally runs out and I flash the Prelude (who was in the left lane) so I can pass. He speeds up and gets over for me, I pass him and get in the right lane ahead of the Mirage. The Prelude gets back in the left lane. Just then the light ahead of us turns red. OHHHH SH********T.....

The Prelude of course rolls up next to me and I chat with the two guys riding. They're pretty cool and confirm that it is indeed nitrous injected. I waste no time saying "So, you wanna have a go?" You have to understand, I knew I was going to get beaten badly due to the NOS system but I wanted to see how the CL-S would fare since I had yet to beaten by anyone. Their reply shocked me. "Man, that's a Type S!" spoken in the tone of what, are you crazy?

Well, the light turns green. I stomp the gas and spin the wheels hard just to let them know I'm serious. I lose some time by doing that but I still got a slight head start on them (guess the driver was bad?). My wheels catch and I pull hard out of the intersection. As this happens I hear the Prelude's engine ROAR to life. The Type S does an excellent sprint and at 60 I lift off the gas and downshift to engine brake. I then realize something strange- they weren't next to me, and they weren't in front of me. In fact, the closest they came was a few feet away from my back bumper and were actually losing ground before we both halted at 60!

I would say that if they hadn't screwed up their launch (and again, I screwed mine up on purpose) it probably would have been very close to a tie. I know they tried to win and I'm 99% sure that they did use the NOS as a Prelude without it could not have come as close as they did given the launch I made. In any case, this was a real shocker for me as I fully expected to get excessively schooled. Is anyone else suprised by this or does it sound about right?
Old 06-12-2001, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That sounds about right and you're right it would be a close race esp w/his passenger.
good kill!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL

PWs, YOU ARE NOT YOUR FREAKIN' POST COUNT!!
Old 06-13-2001, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice kill! Yup, crappy launch + extra passenger = losing Prelude. It was probably 50 shot at the most. On the other hand, my friend with the Type SH is a d*mn good driver, I believe he ran 15.0 in the 1/4 and the car was slammed 3 inches, that's it. So it all depends on the driver's skills. With the average driver, the Prelude is a good match against the CL-P/TL-P, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, etc.

Patrick

------------------
'01 Black/Tan CL-S w/ Navi & spoiler
AEM CAI
Comptech headers, springs & sway bars
Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17 tires
15% tint, Infinity Perfect sub/PPI amp

'97 Acura Integra LS

"You don't need a shopping cart wing to go fast..."
Old 06-17-2001, 05:34 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

what if we had nos? humm... the potential

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, Springs, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 06-18-2001, 07:41 AM
Xan
4th Gear

Thanks for all the info from all 3 of you. SpeedyRonin, I believe I forgot to mention something... I had a 200lb passenger too =)
Old 06-27-2001, 12:48 PM
I like cake

the same situation happened to me, well almost but the results were the same.

i was at a bbq over the weekend doing a little drinking, nothing major. a friend of mine has a 98 prelude sh with nos. we got into it bout who's car is better/faster and all that stuff. and it all came down to me saying this to get him to race "why go out with an ugly girl and fix her up, i rather have a pretty girl and not worry about doing all the mods to her, there's a big differnce between a $20,000 and $30,000 car...if i put the same things in my car as in your car, i'd be untouchable"
it was on!!

we pulled out of the parking lot and we waited in the middle of the street. we agreed to 3 honks then go. after the 3rd honk i floored, by the time i was up to 60 i had him by half a car, when i got to a 100 he wasn't even around,

i turned around an headed back to the bbq, i didn't have to say a thing, he told everyone exactly what i've stated here, u could hear it in his voice he was crushed!!

man that felt good, oh by the way, i saw fast and the furious 2 hrs prior to the bbq and i was pumped.

------------------
2001 Type S Satin/Ebony
Old 06-27-2001, 12:49 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeS_CLark:
the same situation happened to me, well almost but the results were the same.

i was at a bbq over the weekend doing a little drinking, nothing major. a friend of mine has a 98 prelude sh with nos. we got into it bout who's car is better/faster and all that stuff. and it all came down to me saying this to get him to race "why go out with an ugly girl and fix her up, i rather have a pretty girl and not worry about doing all the mods to her, there's a big differnce between a $20,000 and $30,000 car...if i put the same things in my car as in your car, i'd be untouchable"
it was on!!

we pulled out of the parking lot and we waited in the middle of the street. we agreed to 3 honks then go. after the 3rd honk i floored, by the time i was up to 60 i had him by half a car, when i got to a 100 he wasn't even around,

i turned around an headed back to the bbq, i didn't have to say a thing, he told everyone exactly what i've stated here, u could hear it in his voice he was crushed!!

man that felt good, oh by the way, i saw fast and the furious 2 hrs prior to the bbq and i was pumped.

</font>
Nice Kill!

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 06-27-2001, 03:08 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">bored I hear a loud hiss and see a cloud of nitrous blast from the Prelude's trunk. </font>
That doesn't sound good. Is it supposed to do that??

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.