CL-S vs GTP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 08:53 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S vs GTP

Last nite a buddy of mine called me up and said his friend wanted to race. I said sure, I had nothing better to do. He said it was a slightly modified GTP, so I thought it was going to be a tight race. To my surprise, it wasnt as close as I thought. The only time he ever got me was once off the line. I am still trying to find the best launch point b/c I get so much wheel spin off the line. Anyways, we messes around from a roll b/t 45 and 70, and every time the CL-S wanted to pull. All in all it was good time and he said he wanted to do it again when he had a chance to put some more mods on it, so I said ok, but by that time I will have headers and exhaust so the result might be the same.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Banned

that GTP must have been a slow one, my freinds STOCK gtp runs 14.5.....he was beating my 14.8 second CL-S all night....those cars have the low end torque to kill us off the line, if he was modified he should have toasted you, especially since you dont even have headers....."slightly" modified gtp's run EASILY in the 13s...heavlily modded gtps run 12s and 11's....tell you buddy to get his car checked out, it shouldnt lose to you.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:16 AM
Banned

actually, i just noticed you have a 6-speed...so that sounds a bit more reasonable now....i thought you had an automatic 2001 or 2002 or something...either way though, watch out for the modded GTP's they will kill us easily with $1500 in mods and be in the low low 13's or high 12's
Old 07-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice kill!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Advanced

nice kill

Tell your buddy that he is a moron for even thinking about racing near 40mph (or don't if you feel like beating him some more). It's a GTP specific thing, 40 mph is ass bottom of 2nd and has a "lag" at that speed due to some PCM issues.

45-70 mph isnt a good area for us. try 60-85, that will be his optimal range, and he should fare much better.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by jimcol711
that GTP must have been a slow one, my freinds STOCK gtp runs 14.5.....he was beating my 14.8 second CL-S all night....those cars have the low end torque to kill us off the line, if he was modified he should have toasted you, especially since you dont even have headers....."slightly" modified gtp's run EASILY in the 13s...heavlily modded gtps run 12s and 11's....tell you buddy to get his car checked out, it shouldnt lose to you.

Slightly modded GTP's are not EASILY in the 13's, actually slightly modded have no chance of 13's. You need the basic 3 mods (pulley, cai & exhaust) to even have a shot. I have those 3 and I haven't done better than a 14.3, but some with the basic 3 have gone 13's. And stock GTP's hitting 14.5 is VERY rare also, most people who know what they're doing can get 14.7-14.9 stock.

As for this race in particular, nice kill. But like someone else said 40-45 is a horrible starting point for GTP's. I dont know what this guys 'slight' mod was but if it was a pulley I would expect him to run about even with a 6-speed CLs. You guys are running mid-14's with them right? What are you trapping at? And how much did you pull on him? Just curious.

Later,
Old 08-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by GTPguy97

Slightly modded GTP's are not EASILY in the 13's, actually slightly modded have no chance of 13's. You need the basic 3 mods (pulley, cai & exhaust) to even have a shot. I have those 3 and I haven't done better than a 14.3, but some with the basic 3 have gone 13's. And stock GTP's hitting 14.5 is VERY rare also, most people who know what they're doing can get 14.7-14.9 stock.

As for this race in particular, nice kill. But like someone else said 40-45 is a horrible starting point for GTP's. I dont know what this guys 'slight' mod was but if it was a pulley I would expect him to run about even with a 6-speed CLs. You guys are running mid-14's with them right? What are you trapping at? And how much did you pull on him? Just curious.

Later,
thank you...no offense but that guy has such a hard on for the GTP (it seems) my friend has a green GTP with 3.4 pulley ,what else i dont know...but i spank him badly he says he shows 10lbs. of boost...
Old 08-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by typeR
thank you...no offense but that guy has such a hard on for the GTP (it seems) my friend has a green GTP with 3.4 pulley ,what else i dont know...but i spank him badly he says he shows 10lbs. of boost...

hahaha, hard on for the GTP....im just not gonna sit here and try to tell myself that my acura is a faster car...go to CLUBGP and look at all the proven time slips....all in the LOOOOW 12s and 13s....show me one fucking CL-S that runs like that..ok, done case closed...for about $3,000-4,000 in mods, a GTP will run 12s...how many CL-S guys spend $3,000-4,000 and have come close that?
Old 08-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Racer

ive heard of the same things 12-13 sec gtp's but i have also heard of many blown transmissions... i know the ac doesnt have the best transmission either, and im sure that if you did what you can do to a gtp the cl's tranny would go just as much but either way you look at it you still get a car with real fake pleather, awesome gray bubbly buttons/switches/dials, kewl orange glowing lighting and that quality, known for sport cars name PONTIAC... nuff said
Old 08-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Banned

youre absolutely right vinny, pontiac build quality is CHEAP with a capital C!!! and in alot of cases, downright guady....but for other people to sit here and bash GTPs saying how CL-S smokes them all day is just plain ignorant. stock for stock...its a close close call....but GTPs consistantly AVERAGE a lower stock time than a CL-S....modded vs. modded??? GTP allllll daaaaay loooong....even with their cheapo interior
Old 08-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Racer

i agree that a modded gtp will win, i have personally raced one or two stock and beat them, i didnt destroy them by any means but it was close. one thing people need to remember is that force fed is easy to get big gains out of, as long as the rest of the internals can handle it... for example, look at a GSX/TSi or GS-T... little engine, big turbo, lots of boost VR-4 internals so it can take the pressure (tranny is a different story)...hell i have a friend that just got his 92TSi into the high 11s w/o nitrous. our cars just arent made good enough to be highly modded. dont get me wrong i love my car but thats because it does what it is intended, nobody ever told me that it would run 11s with the right mods.... hell if i wanted that i would have saved 25k and bought the tsi and used the 25k to get it into the 9's =)
Old 08-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Racer

Stock for stock the CL-S will beat a GTP in the 1/4 but to 60 the GTP will win. Also I have never seen a STOCK GTP run in the 14s at all! There is a Guy here local that ran 14.2 with every bolt on possible! I will double check but I'm pretty sure that was his fastest. He has the pace car one, so not for sure if its heavier or not. For get that site your talking about get one on the street that is stock and run against him and see.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Racer

you are just racking up the posts arent you gs400pusher
Old 08-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Stock for stock the CL-S will beat a GTP in the 1/4

I have never seen a STOCK GTP run in the 14s at all! There is a Guy here local that ran 14.2 with every bolt on possible!

Wrongo pusher. How many CLs have hit 14's stock? I dont know them very well and have never personally seen one run but I would guess the number is very few, if any. It always amazes me how people never see any of the cars that are their supposed competition run good times. I cant tell you how many times I've had people say "I've NEVER seen a stock GTP hit 14's"......and I'm thinking how I've seen dozens do it myself and there is a whole board full of owners that have done it. I'd say the AVERAGE stock time on ClubGP is probably a 14.8 or 14.9.

And if that guy did only run a 14.2 with every bolt-on available then he really sucks bad. I got my 14.3 with just a pulley, CAI & exhaust and my time is average at best for a GTP with my mods...plenty are in the 13's. And like somebody mentioned before there are now non-NOS GTP's through the 12's and knocking on the 11's door.

Later,
Old 08-03-2002, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Wrongo pusher. How many CLs have hit 14's stock? I dont know them very well and have never personally seen one run but I would guess the number is very few, if any. It always amazes me how people never see any of the cars that are their supposed competition run good times. I cant tell you how many times I've had people say "I've NEVER seen a stock GTP hit 14's"......and I'm thinking how I've seen dozens do it myself and there is a whole board full of owners that have done it. I'd say the AVERAGE stock time on ClubGP is probably a 14.8 or 14.9.

And if that guy did only run a 14.2 with every bolt-on available then he really sucks bad. I got my 14.3 with just a pulley, CAI & exhaust and my time is average at best for a GTP with my mods...plenty are in the 13's. And like somebody mentioned before there are now non-NOS GTP's through the 12's and knocking on the 11's door.

Later,
most cl-S's are in the high 14's stock...we have one 14.3 6 speed (not sure he was stock) and one un substaniated 14.1
Old 08-03-2002, 08:27 AM
Racer

Later,
I have no reason to lie! Me personaly I never seen a GTP stock run 14s I know that my friend here in MD says he has all the bolt on and is only in the low 14s but could be just his drivening I know he does not have any major engine work so I don't know what he means by every bolt-on. I am not here to start nothing. I was trying to give some respect to the CL-S guy that raced one........thats all
Old 08-04-2002, 05:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER

I have no reason to lie! Me personaly I never seen a GTP stock run 14s
I wasn't trying to say you were lying, I was just saying it's funny how it works out that way. Just curious though.....the stock GTP's you have seen run are running what?

And I didn't know that most CLs are now running high-14's stock, if that is the case then any CLS vs. GTP matchup is a coin-toss. A real drivers race.

Later,
Old 08-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Racer

I wasn't trying to say you were lying, I was just saying it's funny how it works out that way. Just curious though.....the stock GTP's you have seen run are running what?

Later,
I seen them run low 15s but thats just here in Maryland. I seen Modded ones run in the 14s I'm not doubting that they can't do mid 14s stock its all in the driver...... I ran stock in my GS4 14.2 and I don't think but one other guy at clublexus did better than my stock time! Most of them run high 14s because they don't know how to drive it.