cl-s vs grand prix..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:46 AM
noodles tastes good.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl-s vs grand prix..

Well, coming home after a nite of drinking - while i wasn't drunk or buzzed, tho my girl was, which is a good thing cuz she actually likes it when i race on the 91 hwy home.

I notice the lights behind me are either a grandprix or a grandam and he's swerving thru traffic to get ahead. I'm in fast lane and already going 120km in 6th and he decides to pass me on the right. I figure i'd play with him a little seeing i haven't really seen what the CL-s is capable of (only 1600km on the odo). He comes roaring towards me and when his front bumper is aligned with my passenger side, i down to 4th and go 3/4 wot and notice i'm almost immediately caught up. I hear him floor it and so i do the same on 4th. He has no chance whatsoever as everytime i immediately pull away from him and let off at 5-6 car lengths ahead. This continues for about 5 minutes when i decide this is a waste of my gas so i let up and he comes roaring pass me and cuts me off as he does his ricer fly-by. This whole time my gf's laughing her head off as she is obviously buzzed and she kept saying " ya kick his ass! wow so much power!" I notice it's a grandprix but didn't notice what trim it was (GTP?).

How much hp/tq are those grandprix's putting out anyways? What kind of trims do that come in?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Lone CL-P Owner

it depends, the new grand prix gtp are fast mothers, they have the same engine as the buick regal GS. (which most people know GSDave, and that car is a nice sleeper) the gt1 or gt2 have 200hp, and are pretty slow.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Sounds like the guy was an idiot weaving in and out of traffic.

The 97-03 GTPs put out 240hp/280tq ; fastest of the trim levels. (torque appears to be slightly underrated) The strong point is 1st and 2nd gear. It's only a 4 speed auto so the gears are tall and 3rd gear is a 1:1 gear. 2nd gear brings me to 96. After that the rate of acceleration is quite a bit less that first and second gear. With a stock computer he won't get a skipshift on the highway leaving him in the dead zone. They are not good highway racers unless they have a good deal of breathing mods. The difference between a standing start race and a rolling race can be night and day depending on the starting mph in the race from a roll.

A GT is 200hp/225tq IIRC.

A few choice mods can get these cars into the 13s pretty easy.
Good kill.
Next time try from a dig and pray the car isn't modded.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2nd takes you to 96? dammm
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by acuraman32cl
it depends, the new grand prix gtp are fast mothers, they have the same engine as the buick regal GS. (which most people know GSDave, and that car is a nice sleeper) the gt1 or gt2 have 200hp, and are pretty slow.
Thanks bud!!!
And Wider pretty much covered it. On a roll, an L67(supercharged 3800) is at its weakest. If you look at the ET vs MPH on our cars, you can see what I mean. There are tons of L67 cars running 13s and still not breaking 100mph. Like Wider said, its all about 1st and 2nd gears. We have to do quite a few mods before we can compete with a 6sp CLS on the HWY, even when the CLS is stock.

It sucks that the guy was arse, I guess he couldn't deal with losing to an NA Acura.

Nice kill, and be careful out there!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:08 PM
noodles tastes good.

Thanks,

I have every respect for domestics - just lucky this guy was probably a GT, and not the newer GTP model otherwise it would've been a different ending. I'm not a hardcore racer, but it definately felt nice opening her up on the freeway.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by n00dleboy
Thanks,

I have every respect for domestics - just lucky this guy was probably a GT, and not the newer GTP model otherwise it would've been a different ending. I'm not a hardcore racer, but it definately felt nice opening her up on the freeway.
It may have been a GTP, don't sell yourself short. A six speed CLS is low-mid 14s capable and a stock GTP is mid-high 14s, but with most of it onthe bottom end. If I were to bet, I would bet this was a GTP. Either way, it was still a good kill on a total arse!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice kill.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:23 PM
1 Phat CL !

blew away GTPs many times, i dont know what u guys are talking about, check Motor Trend specs car has no quater miles stock.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by GS Dave
And Wider pretty much covered it. On a roll, an L67(supercharged 3800) is at its weakest. If you look at the ET vs MPH on our cars, you can see what I mean.
Oh, I do remember that especially before the PCM was reprogrammed. No downshifts into 2nd at highway speeds....

I was hoping GM would have mated up a 5 speed automatic with the tap shift system in the new GTP. It only made sense and would have helped the top end significantly. I always wondered what the GTP would have been like with the gearing of the automatic CL-S.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Quicker than U Think

Originally posted by scalbert
Oh, I do remember that especially before the PCM was reprogrammed. No downshifts into 2nd at highway speeds....

I was hoping GM would have mated up a 5 speed automatic with the tap shift system in the new GTP. It only made sense and would have helped the top end significantly. I always wondered what the GTP would have been like with the gearing of the automatic CL-S.
A 5 speed auot would be great in my car, and since GM makes them for other auto makers, you would think they'd use them in their own cars. The gearing sucks, I trap the 1/4 in second gear. LOL...DOH!!

As for the PCM, yes my reprogrammed(DHP) PCM will skip shift from 4th to 2nd(when in perf shift mode). I did it on the freeway at 70mph once, scared the crap out of me. Did it on the street once at around 40mph, skipped from 3 to 1, broke the darn tires loose at 40mph(tires were pretty bald though).