CL-S clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S clutch question

I test drove a CL-S 6sp on the weekend. A demonstrator with 5000 miles on it. I'm thinking of buying one. There's a "brand new" one at a dealer near me at a great price.

However, the clutch in this demonstrator had a "dead zone" at the bottom... an inch or two of play where there was nothing. When you let it out there was zip and then BOOM!!! it was fully engaged! Stalled it the first time and then had little fun getting it rolling for the entire drive.

I was really surprised by how it behaved. I have owned two manual honda prodcuts (an '88 Accord and an '02 RSX) and they both possessed wonderfully progressive clutches. My '99 Subaru also has a wonderful clutch so it's not like I'm not used to driving with three pedals.

Has the car I drove been abused or is this normal operation for a CL-S clutch? If it is normal, forget it, I won't be buying one.

Thanks for any advice/opinions you can send my way.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: CL-S clutch question

Originally posted by SilverC
I test drove a CL-S 6sp on the weekend. A demonstrator with 5000 miles on it. I'm thinking of buying one. There's a "brand new" one at a dealer near me at a great price.

However, the clutch in this demonstrator had a "dead zone" at the bottom... an inch or two of play where there was nothing. When you let it out there was zip and then BOOM!!! it was fully engaged! Stalled it the first time and then had little fun getting it rolling for the entire drive.

I was really surprised by how it behaved. I have owned two manual honda prodcuts (an '88 Accord and an '02 RSX) and they both possessed wonderfully progressive clutches. My '99 Subaru also has a wonderful clutch so it's not like I'm not used to driving with three pedals.

Has the car I drove been abused or is this normal operation for a CL-S clutch? If it is normal, forget it, I won't be buying one.

Thanks for any advice/opinions you can send my way.
I does take a little getting use to. But it's not to much different than my brother's Porsche 914-6 where the engagement point is a little higher and narrower than a typical non-performance clutch. I've gotten use to it and don't have any problems with smooth clutch operation. But I have to admit, the was the biggest complaint I had about the car when I first got it over a year ago.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Yeah it's different. Easy to get used to though.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the clutch takes some practice but once you get used to it you won't even notice it. It also makes for quick shifting
Old 03-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
They are all that way. Did you also notice the RPM's rise when you shifted gears. That's also normal because of the dual mass flywheel of the car. I wouldn't avoid gettting it cause of this. You WILL get used to it.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Texan trapped in NM

Yep the uptake of the clutch is real abrupt. As stated, it takes some getting used. When I bought the car I traded in my '00 Maxima and it was a world of difference. Still like my Maximas clutch better but, the 6 speed trany in 10x better than the Max. Guess you can't have it all.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Advanced

I traded a 2002 RSX-S for my 2003 Cl-S MT. At the time, I was pretty sad about losing the great (almost no-brain) clutch action of the RSX-S for the intimidating clutch of the CL-S. Now with about 8,500 miles on the car, the clutch seems just as smooth and effortless as the RSX-S was. Just takes some acclimation time. Bottom line - don't let the clutch prevent you from getting a great car.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto, dittto, and ditto to that...Ive just realized how short the engagment point really is and have benn now driving it like it was designed to be driven. We are all trained to go down far on the clutch pedal but this one doesnt need it...just a short push is all it takes and thats a good thing. Ive been trying it both short and long and it seems like if you push the clutch in too far it just is wasting the travel and motion. One thing I have noticed over this winter is that the tranny doesnt like the cold weather too much, seems more suied to warmer temps. for shifting (not talking about the clutch fluid either, the actual friction material/whatever its called seems to get harder to shift when its cold out. ooops, just noticed youre from Toronto
Old 03-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Texan trapped in NM

I have the neuspeed short kit installed in my car and that seems to help with chutch/ shift timing. The shifting is a little less smooth but the throws are shorter. It's worth the trade off.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engagement on this car is wacky. They said it has since been corrected on the 04 TL manual. I have yet to drive but will report back when I do.

By far the best i've driven is the s2k with the clutch and gear box combo. Clutch is a little light but the movement has too be less than an inch or so.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:49 AM
4th Gear

WOW! Thanks everyone for all the great feedback!!! Guess I will go and give the CL-S another shot and will probably fill my garage with a blue CL-S. And yes, I'm from the Toronto area, my Subaru clutch/tranny gets heavier in the cold, once it warms up it's fine. The RSX doesn't seem as sensitive to the cold.

Thanks again. You're a wonderfully helpful group!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:13 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Even the dealer mechanics killed my 6 speed when they drive it, it's funny, sort of. I've had 5 speed Legends before but the CLS took me a few weeks to learn, now I'd have it no other way.
Just take a little time getting used to the clutch, I think the designers knew what they were doing. Best shifter I've driven, way better than the BMW 3 coupes I've driven.

Although I had a test driver driving mine the other day, (trying to sell it...getting another 6 speed if I do) and he drove it amazingly well and I asked him had he been driving other 6 speed CLS's? He said no, but he had a 5 speed Corvette. Guess that's a compliment to the performance of the CLS, but I'm not big Corvette fan generally. good luck. hope you join the 6 speed club soon!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Manny Tranny

This clutch is a challenge at first. My first drive (when I test drove it) was an experience in first gear. It took a couple of weeks to get to know the timing and I tell you, it’s a very reactive clutch. I didn’t like it at first but now I’d never swap it for what I had (MR2 Clutch was good, but not this good).

I haven’t driven my CL-S 6 sp in 3 months (winter storage). I plan to take it out of storage this weekend. Oh boy, here we go again (learning the clutch)

Get this car, you'll love the power and near luxury features! With a few inexpensive modifications, you can turn it into a better handling sports car!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:26 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mines the same way. It makes for smooth transitions between gears pretty difficult. The aftermarket clutch in my Mustang is much firmer, but tons more progressive in engagement. It takes alot of adjusting when switching between cars.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

I stalled my car TWICE the first week I had it while adjusting to the clutch.
Two years later as of last week and I haven’t increased that number yet.

I’ve been driving stick since 1985 and this clutch is my favorite.

Shawn S
Old 03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
join the cl-s 6 speed club. Clutch is somewhat moody but once accustom there is no turning back.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it's a pain. I've had my car a year and half, and every once and a while when I'm not paying attention, I'll hop or kill the car when a light suddenly turns green. It seems that the engagement is suited for high speed driving. When I do quick accelerations, it is smooth as silk - but if I am driving my parents around, I have to concentrate while shifting.

I'm glad to hear someone explain why the RPM's go up while shifting as well - I always wondered if it was a defect of some kind.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
^ ^ ^ ^
Grave robber!
Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Beware of leakage

I first Drove a CLS 6 last summer, and the Killed it on the first try which was hysterical to me because my previous car was a standard and I have driven numerous manual cars. After about 15 mins of "spirited" driving, I got it down.

Great dug up thread, I wonder if the guy got it or not ?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 AM
EVO IX MR

Yeah, it's a little tricky. Can't wait to try driving w/out depressing the clutch all the way. Haven't driven my car in 6 months, so I'll be in for it when I get back in it.