CL-S 6 speed availability

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CL-S 6 speed availability

A salesman told me that Acura is not manufacturing any more 6-speed CLs until March 2003. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The car that I want (white with parchment and navigation) is in Clovis, CA which is about 150 miles away from my dealer (Los Gatos Acura). I don't know how many miles it has already but they will have to drive it to Los Gatos. Is it wise to have them do that?

Thank you,
My
Old 11-23-2002, 12:30 AM
Broke youngster :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my aegean blue car was found in irvine, gold coast acura I believe, or that mightve been a different dealership

anyways it was like 2 miles on it there, but then I picked up the car, it had 99 miles. Oh wells, I know it was not beat up on, since it was my buddy, the owners son that drove one of his cars down and picked up mine and drove it back.

It was in good hands. You gotta check about yours.

Nick
Old 11-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro

Re: CL-S 6 speed availability

Originally posted by mytran
A salesman told me that Acura is not manufacturing any more 6-speed CLs until March 2003. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The car that I want (white with parchment and navigation) is in Clovis, CA which is about 150 miles away from my dealer (Los Gatos Acura). I don't know how many miles it has already but they will have to drive it to Los Gatos. Is it wise to have them do that?

Thank you,
My
They usually haul the car to your dealership if you want it.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll see what I can do.

-My
Old 11-23-2002, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: CL-S 6 speed availability

Originally posted by mytran
Hmmm.. that's interesting. Not building anymore CLS 6spds till spring. You may want to call another dealership to verify this.

I had my car located at a dealership about 30 miles away. When I picked it up it had like 56 miles on it, so I'm sure that some of the mileage was from test drives. My car was built in 8/02 and I took delivery on 10/02 so it sat on a lot for awhile.

I bought mine about a month ago, and my dealer said that if they couldn't locate one, they'd have one built for me. Maybe something has changed, but it seems foolish for Acura to not build anymore CLS 6spds if there is still demand for them.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Ouch

Well my car was located out of state and they had it hauled in by trailer... I told the dealer if it had more than 10 miles on it I did not want it... If you look at the bottom of the sticker price on the car it says (Destination Charges $550.00)... If your paying for it then you should get it... I did not pay for it and I still got the car with less than 10 miles on it...

All they really do is trade cars between dealers, but they won't move till your serious enough and lay down some money..

Smitty
Old 11-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

My co worker just factory ordered his. He's getting it right before Christmas. Maybe there's a order cut off date?
Old 11-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

mine had to come from clovis too so however many miles it is from clovis to sac, i wanted a six speed w/o navi so it was tougher to find than the others they had like 4 w/navi at the dealership(niello)
Old 11-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Racer

Neighbor is getting an '03 CLS to match my '01 ... okay, probably not, but makes me feel good. Anyhow, he wanted the 6spd, but they scared him off with the residual value. First, they said they couldn't give him as good of a deal on the manual as they could on the manual. The next time I talked to him, he told me ended up getting the auto since the residual on the manual was so mich lower because there would be fewer potential buyers for the manual than the auto. Regardless, nice move on his part (I'm certainly jeanlous) and I wonder who the neighbors will think it is the poseur!
Old 11-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

:sqnteek: You would think that the 6-speed is going to be worth alot more than the auto since they only made 2700 of them. Besides the 6 speed cost just as much if not more than the auto in some cases.... I think your buddy was misinformed and turned away for some reason. Probably the dealer wanted to move the auto from his lot or knew he could get his hands on a Auto easier than a 6-speed and wanted to make a sale.... (Didn't he ever hear the saying that a salesman will tell you anything to get you to buy a car?) I am happy I got the 6-speed... and I know if I can sell a 99 10th Anniversary Edition Mitsu. Eclipse for $16,500, I can sell this car for 4500 more than what it is worth....

Residual has alot to do with mileage, wear, ect.... If he babies his rides like me, he will get every penny out of it...

Smitty
Old 11-23-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro

Re: Re: CL-S 6 speed availability

Originally posted by greenmonster
Hmmm.. that's interesting. Not building anymore CLS 6spds till spring. You may want to call another dealership to verify this.

I had my car located at a dealership about 30 miles away. When I picked it up it had like 56 miles on it, so I'm sure that some of the mileage was from test drives. My car was built in 8/02 and I took delivery on 10/02 so it sat on a lot for awhile.

I bought mine about a month ago, and my dealer said that if they couldn't locate one, they'd have one built for me. Maybe something has changed, but it seems foolish for Acura to not build anymore CLS 6spds if there is still demand for them.
My understanding was the '03 6 speed was limited to 2700 units. If they are made already, then you'd have to wait to 2004....

I know my dealership was only allocated 7 - 6 speed CLS' for the whole year! Mine was #4 of their allocation (they didn't stay on the lot long!)
Old 11-23-2002, 09:32 PM
Advanced

We talked to several different dealers and they all said that if we ordered one, we should have it in February, so obviously Acura is currently building 6-speeds!

In the meantime, we found what we wanted in stock at one of the dealers (the only Anthracite 6-speed within a couple of states of us, according to Acura's inventory search on their web site), so we're getting it now!
Old 11-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool. I did a search and it seems that ShawnS got the lowdown on the 2700 6 spds back in April of 2002.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...highlight=2700

I had thought that the dealerships could only get one 6spd per month (that's what my saleperson told me). But in addtion to that it's limited to 2700 cars !!

Low and Behold, it turns out that I own a "limited production" collectors car

Wires - My car was made in 8/02 and I bought it on 10/03/02, so mine sat on the lot for awhile. I guess that the SMR w/ parchment isn't a popular combo. Some CLS's didn't exactly fly out the door.

Smitty - I agree w/ you on the dealer wanting to move an auto. I could have gotten a better deal if I bought off the lot (my car was swapped from another dealers stock).

On resale value:

Sedans generally sell better then coupes. Automatics generally sell better then sticks.

The CLS 6spd while being a coupe and a stick, is a different story. It's a luxury sportscar, and to some people like me a sportscar has to have a manual transmission. It may limit the number of people that will be interested in buying my car, but to the right person, having a 6spd will increase it's value. It may take longer to find the right person, but I don't think I'll be trying to sell my CLS to a soccer Mom (who would prefer a automatic sedan).
Old 11-23-2002, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Availability of the 6-speeds is pretty limited especially with navigation. I will probably get the one from Clovis, CA. My dealer has one in my alternate color choice (silver) but I figure if I'm going to fork over 30k+ then I should get the color I really want.

Also, they're offering me a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty with no deductable for $1100. Is this a good price or should I pass on it?

-My
Old 11-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Re: getting what you want. Yes, exactly! If you're forking out the cash, make sure you get what you want, even if you have to wait the couple of months it takes for an ordered one to come in.

I used to work for a finance company, and I couldn't believe the number of people who started their phone calls with, "It wasn't really what I wanted, but...."

Used to drive me crazy! Ok, rant over....
Old 11-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the warrany is bumper to bumper... than it is not bad... have in writing.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

if your in davis you should really call niello in sac before you buy when i was there like a month and a half ago they had at least 4 six speeds in stock
Old 11-24-2002, 01:38 AM
Instructor

I checked with Niello about a week ago and they had no more 6 speeds in stock.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:51 AM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

I tried to locate a NBP 6-speed in May, no such luck.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally posted by greenmonster
The CLS 6spd while being a coupe and a stick, is a different story. It's a luxury sportscar, and to some people like me a sportscar has to have a manual transmission. It may limit the number of people that will be interested in buying my car, but to the right person, having a 6spd will increase it's value. It may take longer to find the right person, but I don't think I'll be trying to sell my CLS to a soccer Mom (who would prefer a automatic sedan).
I love the limited production car thingy too! Woo Woo!!!!

I had to wait 2 weeks for mine to be delivered from the plant. I looked through the brochure, and even though I loved our '01 in black, after a year and a half, the swirls in the paint were brutal (all blacks are the same...). So I picked out Anthracite. Just so happens the car my dealership was getting was that color!

My salesman told me this: Everytime a couple walks in, the man starts drooling at the stick. But the soccer mom wins, and they walk out with an auto. Hence the limited run and limited allocations.

Personally, I begged my wife until she caved. Yeh, I'll admit it! She stole my supercharged Chevy after the baby came, so I figured it was a fair trade...