CL os IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL os IS

Hi all, I know this is a CL forum and most of you are going to say get a CL Type S because of it's performance or value. But I want your honest opinion on why you guys choose this car over another.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2001, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I like alot of the people on this board was considering the IS over the CL. May be because they where new models. I test drove the IS and was not impressed w/ power or the interior. Also I think the guage will ge boring after a while and most important the IS didn't offer a navi. One thing I liked about the IS is that it had lower profile tires but his alone didn't convince me enough. The Type S IS deffintly more for your money. Better interior, more hp, torque, Navi, Real leather, ....

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-13-2001, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
(*snip*)The Type S is definately more for your money. Better interior, more hp, torque, Navi, Real leather...</font>

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I actually wanted the IS when it first came out, but if you compare what comes with what, the CL-S is the way to go. Plus, it seems there's aftermarket support for this generation, so all you have to do is pop in headers and your up near 290hp. Not only that, but the CL-S is a classier car. The IS300 looks more like a "kid" car.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-13-2001, 12:17 PM
Rx Master

KId car is agood way to describe it, its loks like a riced ouit civic on steroids.
I too wanted it real bad but when i heard about the price and when it was arriving, in juky, and i needed a car in june, i couldnt wait. I really am very satisfied with my cl-s and have been in teh is300 and was not impressed at all. it looks flashy from the outside but on the inside its a small car with very odd features, especially for a lexus. It feels almost likeu are inside a integra. But like i said, its been 9thousand miles on my cl-s and i have never been happier. Then only car that makes me think twice , was the same day, the White Tl sittin next to my cl-s in the showroom. IT was white, navi and kit. Mna was it nice, but i wanted a 2 door, and thats what i got.
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
coilovers or springs to come soon 620+ posts makes me still a freak on the old Cl page.
my cl-s http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786
Old 02-13-2001, 12:25 PM
Instructor

if you were to post this over at the is300 forum... it'll go something like this... not this shit again... who the hell cares about straight ahead speed.. blah blah... troll...

my take is that i test drove both cars and came away totally unimpressed by the is300. interior was cheap looking and feeling. engine lacked umpph. only thing i liked was the front end and tires. compared to when i test drove a type s... engine put a big smile on my face... interior had a lot of stuff fromthe accord but overall felt solid and luxurious... a lot rommier to... then the price... plus the salesman ws not as snooty... could be cause i knew the general manager
Old 02-13-2001, 12:34 PM
8th Gear

Not to slight the IS300. Having owned a BMW 3 series and Celica GTS in my time I still would prefer the FWD. Especially if you live in a climate with snow. Hence the TL will get you up a snow covered 60 degree hill on that sideroad while the RWD IS300 and the BMW would have a hard time.

'99 TL, 225 hp, stock - will actually perform as well as an IS300.
Old 02-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks bean, one thing I left out is that everyother civic, integra , accords and now preludes are putting on the ugly is300/altezza lights. and this alone brings the 30k+ car down. IMO. ALso the cabin space is too cramed up a 30k+ car.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-13-2001, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd really like to be objective and say that the IS300 is a decent car for the money, but I just can't do it!!! The only thing that car has on the CL-S is handling and for $1000 you can get springs and sways for a CL-S that will come damn close to completely eliminating any handling advantages the IS has. Unless you're a RWD purist or you totally hate the CL's styling I just can't imagine going with the IS.

CL-S hands down.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers to be installed in a couple weeks
PIAA 19169
Old 02-13-2001, 12:56 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally... I like the IS300's exterior better then that of the CL-S.

ONly thing I dont like about the IS's exterior is those taillights and how small it looks from certain angles.

But the interior of the IS is just not what I consider worthy of a 30k car...

It looks like a Celica inside... has no luxury appointments... no navi... and not even an armrest! And thats not even talking about how much room there is.... cuz there is none.

But... if you want what car looks best from the outside... and what will turn more heads... get the IS.

But if you want the best package... when it comes to speed, luxury, and far from shabby looks... the CL-S is hands down the best option you will find in its class.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 02-13-2001, 01:04 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

both are exellent cars, although I had chosen cls, but if you want me to do this again, i would still hesitate between two. just by look, is300 does stands out, it will get more audience attention than our cls, however, there are too many of is300 already, for every cls i'd see about 5 is300. oh, and is300 has more aftermarket, considering its exellent TRD. if you prefer sedan, i suggest wait for tl-s or the is300 manual.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
1000+ miles now and climbing
Old 02-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Real leather, ....

[/B]</font>
I don't know about real leather. Anyway, it boils down to personal preference. IMO, I think the CLS is a hell of a lot of car for the money. If you want great handling and better 4th gear than the CLS get the IS. Otherwise all else the CLS has the edge.

Old 02-13-2001, 01:29 PM
8th Gear

Not to slight the IS300. Having owned a BMW 3 series and Celica GTS in my time I still would prefer the FWD. Especially if you live in a climate with snow. Hence the TL will get you up a snow covered 60 degree hill on that sideroad while the RWD IS300 and the BMW would have a hard time.

'99 TL, 225 hp, stock - will actually perform as well as an IS300.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i have to admit, i'd take an IS manual
Old 02-13-2001, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Well I have been a voyeur for a while...
anyway I agree with the statements I went shopping with my friends to get a new car. here were the choices:
CL-S, IS300, 328i...well after testing all 3 he decided the best deal was the Cl-S. It had a better interior, and better engine...If only the Is300 had the supra TT Engine and transmission...I guess that would have cannibalized the Gs400 market (hell I would have traded mine in for a twin turbo IS).
---
GS400/NAK/17"/Borla Kevlar Exhaust/TRD Intake