CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 03:29 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Every time I browse through auto websites, magazines or newspapers I consistenly notice the absence of a single word about the CL. Not a peep, not a mention, not a sound--except crickets chirping.

To anyone's knowledge, has there been a single comparison test with the CL in it except for the crappy review of the CL versus the 328? I vaugely remember it losing in comparison to the 330 and I've seen one, two-paragraph article about it in the free local autoweek newspaper.

Man, who'd have thought the CL would have been so conspicuously absent from every sports car comparison for the last two years? How many times can the BMW, IS300, A4, Saab, etc. be compared to one another without a single mention of the CL? Honestly, it's like the car doesn't even exist.

I mean, come on here--the new Infiniti I35 doesn't even give a damn about the Type S engine when it claims class-leading horsepower at 255. Am I missing something here? There are, after all 260HP in the Type-S motors, right? You wouldn't know it based on the way Nissan advertises. Perhaps their marketing people have told them not to worry about it because nobody knows the Type S motors put out 260HP anyways. And goodness, one would think the second comin had occurred when the Altima got 240HP.

And boy, the praise for Acura's generation of 260HP from a 3.2L SOHC while still maintaing good gas mileage has been nothing short of, well...............silence. (Insert cricket chirping noises and tumbleweed here). What was one of the quotes, "doesn't feel like 260hp."

Hell, at this point I'd even relish an article about the CL's shortcomings. Maybe there should be a new catergory for the CL--"near-sport, near-luxury value coupe cruiser" class where it is the only competitor. As a theory of economics that would seem to be a great position to be in--a monopoly if you will. The only tiny problem is, however, that there doesn't seem to be many buyers. Maybe in every car magazine issue the CL could be compared to the CL Type S, TL and TL Type S just for publicity.

And, to top it all off, the notion that someone was offered well under 20K to trade in their CL was just the icing on the cake. Notice IS300's are trading in at around 28K after a year. In the immortal (but para-phrased) words spoken I believe by Ken Steele shortly after we all bought our cars, "are we all just fooling ourselves?" Where is our resale value going to be when we rid ourselves of our cars? Who is going to buy them?

Moreover, what is going to happen when the 6-speed comes out, if it ever does? How much press do you think that will drum up? Will it just be ridiculed as a front-heavy understeetring rocket even more out of its element than previously when it had the automatic transmission, which, by the way only seems to work on select cars? Forget comparing it to the 330--yes, it will win the acceleration tests but be destroyed in any catergory that has to do with turning the steering wheel.

More and more I find myself wanting a smaller, lighter, tighter handling car. Things I love about my CL are the engine note, the comfort of the seats and the relatively good gas mileage. Things I hate are the incredible heft of the car, the crappy brakes and the MASSIVE FWD-induced understeer coupled to the shitty paint job.

But, alas, I don't dare trade my car in or sell it now because there is no market for it and there will be no money paid for it. And, now I find myself in the dilemma of whether or not to spend even more money on mods to try and make the car more fun, or something it's not only to eat the loss in the end, and all the while realizing that no matter what is done the car is never going to like going around corners? Perhaps the sticker price on the car was a few grand lower than the more upscale competitors--what will that matter if the resale value is 10K lower than that of the slightly more upscale competitors. Let's see, 30K sticker on CLS, trade in for 19K. 32K sticker for IS300, trade in of 28K one year later. Well, you do the math. Even in a country bad with numbers, that seems llike a losing proposition to me.

And maybe, just maybe, if a factory bodykit is ever released (read: forget about it) the headlines will say--"dressing up the bastard."

Hmmmmmm. Just my pessimistic thoughts for today. They in no way reflect the joy I will receive when I climb into my car 30 minutes from now and hear that VTEC growl. Isn't that worth anything to anyone?
Old 11-20-2001, 03:32 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hear ya Hopefully the 6speed manual will add some credibility.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:36 PM
Racer

Interestingly enough, I got the 2002 Buyers Guide from Auto World
(I think ) and in the top three recommended coupes for 02, they were :
Jaquar XK, Mercedes SLK, and (drumroll...) Acura CLS!
I couldn't believe it! Must be a mistake
Old 11-20-2001, 03:36 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are we having a bad day? While I agree with most of what you said, i like the FWD layout for the snow, the larger size for comfort, and the VTEC growl is only there when it is wanted. I really love the car, and don't care if anybody else does (i.e. magazines, reviews, etc.) but do wish that it had better resale value.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i doubt a $32k is300 is getting $28k at trade in.

unless the dealer is a complete dumbass.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:40 PM
Racer

Interestingly enough, I got the 2002 Buyers Guide from Auto World (I think ) and in the top three recommended coupes for 02, they were :
Old 11-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

and i think a big reason why the cl-s doesn't get mentioned too much in comparisons is because all the other cars you mentioned (i35, is300, saab, a4, 330i, etc.) is because they are all sedans and the cl is a coupe, and coupes usually don't get much play.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Damn JZ, this must have really been bothering you!!

Seriously though, the only article I read is the one you must have which was the comparison between the BMW and the CL (I think it was in Super Street). That's it. For what it's worth, there's not much on the TL either.....
Old 11-20-2001, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

don't feel bad. think of all the people that shelled out $60k for a q45.

there was all this hype on it, probalby just because of the headlamps, and now nothing.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Stop for a minute and listen to yourself. Take 10 deep breaths and maybe ingest some sugar. What a problem to have, bitching about a badass car that 99% of the people who see it only wish they could have. And about no media coverage, who fuggin cares! Those of us who know , know!!!!! Also those other cars you compare the CL's to cost shit-loads more, act like you know!
Personally I feel like I own a great car and would rather not loose that feeling, but some of these posts seem to be designed to do just that. You can post what you want but maybe it should have a warning like : DO NOT READ IF YOU LOVE YOUR CAR AND ARE HAVING A NICE DAY!! Just m/o,peace.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 02 Aegean CLS
Interestingly enough, I got the 2002 Buyers Guide from Auto World (I think ) and in the top three recommended coupes for 02, they were :
I was actually just kidding about it being a mistake...I LUV MY CAR and was actually thrilled that it shared the page with those cars. Noticably absent, however was the 3 series which I found odd.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:43 PM
Learn to swim.

Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by JZ

I mean, come on here--the new Infiniti I35 doesn't even give a damn about the Type S engine when it claims class-leading horsepower at 255. Am I missing something here?
Yes, you are. The new I35's 3.5L engine has more torque than the CL-S's 3.2L does: 246 lb.-ft. vs. 232 lb.-ft.

So technically it does have a more powerful engine. HP numbers are for magazine racers.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:14 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by aeon

Yes, you are. The new I35's 3.5L engine has more torque than the CL-S's 3.2L does: 246 lb.-ft. vs. 232 lb.-ft.

So technically it does have a more powerful engine. HP numbers are for magazine racers.
and I was afraid you were going to make some kind of broad generalization...

so in your reality, as well as nissan's, the chevy cavalier ls 2.2 liter (140hp/150 ft-lbs) is a more powerful engine than the integra type r 1.8 liter 4 banger (195hp/130 ft-lbs) or the rsx type s 2.0 liter (200hp/142 ft-lbs)?

facinating...
Old 11-20-2001, 05:20 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Re: Re: Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by tankmonkey

and I was afraid you were going to make some kind of broad generalization...

so in your reality, as well as nissan's, the chevy cavalier ls 2.2 liter (140hp/150 ft-lbs) is a more powerful engine than the integra type r 1.8 liter 4 banger (195hp/130 ft-lbs) or the rsx type s 2.0 liter (200hp/142 ft-lbs)?

facinating...
I think what he is trying to say is that the diference in torque is greater (almost 15 lb/ft) thanthe lead we have in horsepower (only 5 hp). The Integra has alot more horsies butonly a little less torque, same w/the RSX.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:42 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Re: Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by TypeSAddict

I think what he is trying to say is that the diference in torque is greater (almost 15 lb/ft) thanthe lead we have in horsepower (only 5 hp). The Integra has alot more horsies butonly a little less torque, same w/the RSX.
well, since horsepower is measure of power (i.e., work performed over time, as opposed to torque which is a measure of force), the engine with a higher horsepower rating is technically more "powerful."

I haven't formed an opinion as to which is more suitable for magazine racers...
Old 11-20-2001, 05:57 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by tankmonkey

well, since horsepower is measure of power (i.e., work performed over time, as opposed to torque which is a measure of force), the engine with a higher horsepower rating is technically more "powerful."

I haven't formed an opinion as to which is more suitable for magazine racers...
Really? I did not know that. Maybe someone should call Infiniti and bitch.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:04 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CL--bastard of the Acura line-up

Originally posted by TypeSAddict

Really? I did not know that. Maybe someone should call Infiniti and bitch.
I think it stems from the whole "horsepower is a function of torque" and, therefore, must somehow be an inferior or less accurate measurement, when in fact it is measuring two different, but related, things.

a matter of perception, I guess...
Old 11-20-2001, 06:49 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I really do love my car, I guess it's kinda like when the kids in American schools ask the question, "why they don't like us in the Arab world."

Even if the CL would get beaten in comparison tests, it would just be nice to see it compared every once and awhile. "Objective" tests like those in car magazines might also be a valuable source of criticism for Acura to get a feel for what car enthusiasts feel about the car.

The only other problem that I realistically have trouble with is how our resale values are going. I just don't want to get murdered when I go to get a new car. I can only imagine taking in my car for trade/sale after babying it for years, likely having some of my extended warranty left and having someone say I'll give you a dollar for it b/c there aren't many customers out there looking for a used CL.

As bad as car are as investments, it would be nice to not lose our shirts when we got to trade in.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I, after adding the mods listed so far, can honestly say this car is perfect for me. Could care less if anyone else thinks the same. This would include most of the holy'r than thou mag review dorks. With headers, RES, slight window tint (and possibly new shoes down the road,) it will be complete (yeah, right!)

Take two Advil, pour yourself a nice stiff cup of coffee, and drive the car with some nice soothing classical music on. Then thank the good lord you were blessed enough to get what you have.

Resale for now will suck, I agree with that. But down the road we should all fair relatively well.

Jim
Old 11-20-2001, 07:12 PM
'Cooter

fact is i couldn't give 2 shits what other snobs out there say about my car...my car is an extension of myself, an extension of my personality...it says i like a taste of everything...and we all know that the best bang for the buck is our car, so if they say i got better this or better that, i say ok, but u don't have this or that...and we can play those games til we're blue in the face, so the truth will b revealed that our cars are just as worthy as anyone else's (in a practical sense, of course)...i personally don't care how much/how little our cars are talked about...we live with them every day...no review in a magazine/newspaper/tv will make our personal day-to-day experiences any better/worse...i cherish every day i drive my car since this is my first real car, and i take care of it as best i can as proof that i value it as an investment as well as my missile!!

people in bimmers, mercedes, rice-burners stick their noses up at us all the time...i laugh b/c i know that if we took it to the track, their noses will b dropping somewhat, and that's fine...but i don't need a visual approval from a snob to know that i got an overall great car for a great price...we should know better than to stoop to their levels

but of course, this is only my opinion
Old 11-20-2001, 07:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't agree MORE with Scooter ! I don't give a rats ass what someone thinks or doesn't think about MY car ! The LEAST they know, the happier I am ! If you buying a car for ATTENTION, go see a shrink !
Old 11-20-2001, 07:59 PM
TheCarBreathesNitrousToo!

I dont care what anybody says. I have never driven a car that is more well balanced in the aspect of CRUISING, HAULING ASS, and OVERALL PRICE. Ive beat new Mustang GT's and Audi S4's in moving starts, and im sure our cars cruise better than these "PERFORMERS". Hey our Tranny sucks I think tough shit we might have to wait a while for a new one, but atleast its on Acura's bill and not ours. For the value we all on this board have, im suprised there is not more draw backs to an already beautiful, and great car. :P Or am I just alone on my opinion
Old 11-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CLSmike
I dont care what anybody says. I have never driven a car that is more well balanced in the aspect of CRUISING, HAULING ASS, and OVERALL PRICE. Ive beat new Mustang GT's and Audi S4's in moving starts, and im sure our cars cruise better than these "PERFORMERS". Hey our Tranny sucks I think tough shit we might have to wait a while for a new one, but atleast its on Acura's bill and not ours. For the value we all on this board have, im suprised there is not more draw backs to an already beautiful, and great car. :P Or am I just alone on my opinion
Not at all, I'm right there with ya.

Value of $$ spent to how I feel everyday of driving this well crafted machine is priceless.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:27 PM
'Cooter

my father, who used to b like me at my age back in the 60's/70's, said to me just this afternoon, "Chris, this is really a nice car...i mean REALLY nice car...i'm so happy that u got everything u wanted with virtually no drawbacks or compromises at truly a great price."

folks, it was sheer destiny that i didn't buy the Mustang convertible...altho i REALLY wanted the convert for the power, the looks, and the joy, i knew i had to sacrifice trunk and backseat room, not to mention potential roof problems, the Ford name, etc etc...the convertible can wait til i make my first million right now, at age 24, im proud to say i have thoroughly spoiled myself with my baby...just goes to show how lots of reading, taking notes, studying, test driving, etc etc. can enhance your life many times over day after day!! and if i had to do it all over again, i'd buy this car every day of the week and twice on Sundays!!
Old 11-20-2001, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

On the web site CarWizard (www.carwizard.com) they give the residual values of cars based on the Automotive Lease Guide. The following are some selected residual values 2002 cars at 36 months:

Acura CL-S w/NAV - 51%
Acura CL-P (no NAV) - 53%
BMW 330Ci - 54%
Lexus IS300 - 51%
Jaguar XK8 - 53%
Saab 9-5 Aero - 53%
Toyota Camry Solara SLE - 51%
Toyota Camry XLE V6 - 48%
Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 - 52%
Mustang GT - 48%
Ford Taurus SEL - 36%

So, at least the leasing people don't think that the CL will lose a great amount of value after 3 years. Be glad we don't have the Taurus!
Old 11-21-2001, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 02 Aegean CLS

(I think ) QUOTE]

NOW THIS I FOUND FUNNY
Old 11-21-2001, 08:16 AM
Racer

Hey NJ_CLS_driver;
What kind of remote starter do you have? Any problems?