Chip = 60hp & 100 ft/lbs of torque!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 06:33 AM
Got Boost?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip = 60hp & 100 ft/lbs of torque!

My friend just installed an ABT chip on his S4 for 60 hp, and 100 ft/lbs of torque! What kind of crap is that? I want that for my car!!!! Does anyone know of anything that would increase our hp and torque that dramatically? I realize that I wouldnt experience those gains because our cars are noramlly aspirated, but is there any performance chip that would increase our performance slightly? Thanx in advance...

*~SHANE~*

Old 06-30-2001, 06:40 AM
Instructor

Only thing for Our naturally aspirated engine that could produce those number's without squeezing is an SC. $5000
Old 06-30-2001, 06:49 AM
Got Boost?

Or we can get the exhaust that puts out a whopping 2 hp!!! Just kidding...I heard that super charger puts out 70-100 hp....I would like to get my hands on that! :p
Old 06-30-2001, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah chips just don't seem to work. I think someone was trying it on a newer accord and he had bad things happen.
Old 06-30-2001, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats becuase the s4's have bi turbo. you can achieve almost the same results w/ a boost controller. Just boost it up like 25lbs and you'll have madd torque and hp. but don't blame me if your engine dies.
Old 06-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

You can't use a boost controller on the Bosch system... ABT, APR, MTM, GIAC, etc.. are all reprogrammed with timing and fuel curves. These chips are only running around 14-15 psi.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

Not a flame or anything...I don't want to get into one....but if the chips are SOOO cheap and they increase power by soo much...then how come everybody with an s4 doesn't have one?? I mean at least 50% of them bought it for the 250hp bi-turbo, right!?! Just a thought...I just don't think that it puts out that much power in itself. Otherwise...the s4 on the freeway should have laid waste to my fully loaded CL.
Originally posted by AudiAce:
<STRONG>You can't use a boost controller on the Bosch system... ABT, APR, MTM, GIAC, etc.. are all reprogrammed with timing and fuel curves. These chips are only running around 14-15 psi.</STRONG>
Old 06-30-2001, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Moonmaster:

Hmmmm so what is it you don't believe? The printed dynos or the low 13 second 1/4 mile passes which numerous audiworlders have achieved? Get your head out of your ass okay?? Think about it... most S4 owners are middle-aged guys who have never even heard of audiworld and don't know/don't want to bother with aftermarket mods.

Why do you keep referring to that so-called race you had? Obviously you were driving wrecklessly in heavy traffic and not everybody is stupid enough to play along. Seems like someone is in denial...
Old 06-30-2001, 10:42 PM
Pro

<STRONG>Moonmaster:

Hmmmm so what is it you don't believe? The printed dynos or the low 13 second 1/4 mile passes which numerous audiworlders have achieved? Get your head out of your ass okay?? Think about it... most S4 owners are middle-aged guys who have never even heard of audiworld and don't know/don't want to bother with aftermarket mods.

Why do you keep referring to that so-called race you had? Obviously you were driving wrecklessly in heavy traffic and not everybody is stupid enough to play along. Seems like someone is in denial...</STRONG>

I would have to agree with AudiAce on this one. Those A4 and S4 with their chipped ECUs are impressive. One of the first S4 in Hawaii was running high 14's in the 1/4 mile, then after installing a GIAC chip, he was consistently running high 13's on stock tires! The A4's here were running high 15's to low 16's stock. After an ECU swap, they were running low to mid 15's. These chips do what they're advertised to do.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:45 AM
Intermediate

Generally, aftermarket chips don't add much, if any hp. However, they seem to work well with cars having forced induction, like the S4. I'd still be skeptical, though. Audi isn't stupid, they can put any chip in their cars they want. So if an aftermarket chip increases hp by 60hp, what is it doing to the car that Audi didn't want to do in the first place?
Old 07-01-2001, 02:52 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Well Honda isn't stupid either but why didn't they make our j block engines with tubular headers instead of cast iron exhaust manifolds?

Additional cost maybe? Who knows why Audi didn't but most likely it has to do with reliability. I doubt your engine is going to last as long running 14-15 psi as it it only running 6-7psi. Maybe reduced gas milage?
Old 07-01-2001, 02:56 AM
Intermediate

Honda went with cast iron over headers for the same reasons most manufacturers have: lower cost, more durable, less heat radiation, less noise.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by BNut:
<STRONG>Well Honda isn't stupid either but why didn't they make our j block engines with tubular headers instead of cast iron exhaust manifolds?

Additional cost maybe? Who knows why Audi didn't but most likely it has to do with reliability. I doubt your engine is going to last as long running 14-15 psi as it it only running 6-7psi. Maybe reduced gas milage?</STRONG>
I should have added that you have a good point, maybe Audi was concerned with corporate fuel usage averages.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:25 AM
Intermediate

Factors to consider are emission requirements and more importantly marketing. The 4.2 V8 on the A6 starts at 50k, while the 2.7T V6 starts at a mere 40k. The V8 pushes 300 hp and the V6 has 250 hp. They already have nearly identical acceleration times when both mated with auto trannys (which shows the biturbo engine is extremely underrated)... if Audi had more added more boost, no one would buy the V8 model.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:40 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Cap'n Carl:
<STRONG>Generally, aftermarket chips don't add much, if any hp. However, they seem to work well with cars having forced induction, like the S4. I'd still be skeptical, though. Audi isn't stupid, they can put any chip in their cars they want. So if an aftermarket chip increases hp by 60hp, what is it doing to the car that Audi didn't want to do in the first place?</STRONG>
The reason that chiptuning is so effective with the VW/Audi 1.8T and 2.7T motors is that VW/Audi intentionally limits the boost to 0.5 bar (~8 psi) from the factory. The KKK K03 turbos are actually rated to handle up to ~14 psi (1.0 bar) which is what the chips do. The wastegate is activated by the ECU, so the chip swap allows this. The "official" reason for such ultra-conservative boost settings from the factory is that our gasoline here in the USA sucks, therefore lower boost settings are needed to prevent detonation
Old 07-01-2001, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by volsfan0911:
<STRONG>The "official" reason for such ultra-conservative boost settings from the factory is that our gasoline here in the USA sucks, therefore lower boost settings are needed to prevent detonation </STRONG>
No shia! What's up with that? Is it the US's responsibility to save the planet? From what I hear (correct me if I'm wrong) that most countries in Europe still use leaded gasoline and their lowest octane rating is around 98!!! That is why all the Euro type cars can run such high compressions from the factory.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:47 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 634 Likes on 281 Posts
AudiAce: welcome to the board, you seem to have good things to say
Old 07-01-2001, 03:27 PM
Got Boost?

AudiAce...are you part of the audiworld forum? I read the posts there a lot. My best friend has a 2001 Silver S4. I like your attitude and your helpful way about yourself. And welcome to the board.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally posted by Cap'n Carl:
<STRONG>Generally, aftermarket chips don't add much, if any hp. However, they seem to work well with cars having forced induction, like the S4. I'd still be skeptical, though. Audi isn't stupid, they can put any chip in their cars they want. So if an aftermarket chip increases hp by 60hp, what is it doing to the car that Audi didn't want to do in the first place?</STRONG>
all the chip does is turn up the boost.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

The chip causes the turbos to spin faster to get the higher boost. They spin faster then they were designed to spin. So AoA won't cover them. Thats why more people aren't chipping S4's.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/390155.phtml

Originally posted by moomaster_99:
<STRONG>Not a flame or anything...I don't want to get into one....but if the chips are SOOO cheap and they increase power by soo much...then how come everybody with an s4 doesn't have one?? I mean at least 50% of them bought it for the 250hp bi-turbo, right!?! Just a thought...I just don't think that it puts out that much power in itself. Otherwise...the s4 on the freeway should have laid waste to my fully loaded CL. </STRONG>
[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Sick_Spd ]
Old 07-01-2001, 05:39 PM
Advanced

But the S4 is still an ugly 4 door audi...
Old 07-01-2001, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually Pele I only read the posts at audiworld now. Posting there is completely useless. No one there seems to be able to give straightforward, non-sarcastic answers. I think most of them are in the midst of a mid-life crisis, whereas I just turned 20. Maybe that's why I'm here so often. :P

Oh and code3smith... everday someone tells me how beautiful my car is.. of course mine's Nogaro.. I agree some of the other colors are too plain jane. As for your S2k, at least my friends don't have to play paper-rock-scissors to see who won't be running alongside on the freeway. Then again it might be better to get some exercise than to look at that cheap@ss plastic interior in that tin-can on wheels. God help you if you get into an accident.
Old 07-01-2001, 07:56 PM

<STRONG>As for your S2k, at least my friends don't have to play paper-rock-scissors to see who won't be running alongside on the freeway. </STRONG>
LOL! The joys of a 4 door sedan. Nogaro is the light blue color? Imola is the yellow one right?
Old 07-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Oh...Behave!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tw1112:
<STRONG>Yeah chips just don't seem to work. I think someone was trying it on a newer accord and he had bad things happen. </STRONG>
That's NOT true! ....I think the PCM mod is the BEST "bang-for-the-buck" improvement you can buy, for extra "pull" thru the "whole" power range!!!

I just recently installed the Comptech Headers, and I'm DISAPPOINTED in the return for investment (And I got them for $900!!!)

I will stand to say, "The PCM MOD IS the best accelleration difference (with a CAI) that $$$$ can buy,...PERIOD!!!
Old 07-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Boy, that was pretty pathetic. Was that english? I didnt even understand half of what you said. I could care less about what you think of my s2k interior. If you really want to compare cars, and or race, Ill bring out my Aston Martin anyday and show your 20 year old ass what real speed is all about. Im sorry to say, but your Audi is a POS. Have fun spending money fixing it down the road.

P.S. Thats why I have 2 cars, one kicks your ass in the twisties, the other in the straight line and top speed :p
Old 07-01-2001, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Ogolden1:
<STRONG>

I will stand to say, "The PCM MOD IS the best accelleration difference (with a CAI) that $$$$ can buy,...PERIOD!!! </STRONG>
PCM mod...is that the little computer thing that they offer? This thing?

I was referring to the chip they stick on your ecu board. But if you are talking about the same thing then that is cool. I was just passing on info that I heard..
Old 07-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Got Boost?

What does a PCM Mod do? I have never heard of it...how much is it? How many horsepower? Torque? I need the info....

AudiAce & Cose3Smith...what are you guys doing! There is no reason to fight about whos car is nicer, faster, etc.....who cares!!!! You both have nice ass cars! I love them both! But mine is the best!!! j/k lol :p
Thanx guys.

*~SHANE~*
Old 07-01-2001, 10:47 PM
Banned

I was just wondering...geez!! And no I am not just referring the previous incident. So, you get you head out of your ass, I have raced S4s on the freeway with no traffic too......and show me what you run!?! But you know what...I got into this with you before...I was just wondering...that's all...you show me a dyno on your car. Guys here can attest to their headers. If all it does is crank up boost..then I can believe it...but then again if that's what it does...I know why most owners don't put it in their Audis...it's called a blown motor.
<STRONG>Moonmaster:

Why do you keep referring to that so-called race you had? Obviously you were driving wrecklessly in heavy traffic and not everybody is stupid enough to play along. Seems like someone is in denial...</STRONG>
[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: moomaster_99 ]
Old 07-02-2001, 01:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Dont forget a blown warranty on your brand new 40k+ car. Try and get engine or computer work done on your engine with that chip in there.
Check this post out http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/383505.phtml
Old 07-02-2001, 01:52 AM
Instructor

Yep...waiting for an SC to pull that kind of power.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:56 AM
Oh...Behave!

Originally posted by tw1112:
<STRONG>

PCM mod...is that the little computer thing that they offer? This thing?

I was referring to the chip they stick on your ecu board. But if you are talking about the same thing then that is cool. I was just passing on info that I heard..</STRONG>
No, not that adjustable box! ...
It's the remapping of the PCM. Since we can't just "plug" a "chip" into our PCM's (or ECU's, as some people call them), we have to send them the PCM so they can reprogram it! (just like the Audi's!)

People just refer to it as a "chip", because in domestic cars you can usually just "plug and play" it into the ECU box.

It costs $300 from Jet Performance. ...Do a search, there has been a lot written about it!
Old 07-02-2001, 03:36 AM
Safety Car

<STRONG>

People just refer to it as a "chip", because in domestic cars you can usually just "plug and play" it into the ECU box.

It costs $300 from Jet Performance. ...Do a search, there has been a lot written about it!</STRONG>
Okay Well I did know about how we have to get them to solder on a craddle for a new chip, I was just wondering if that is what you had done.

That is very cool...did you notice any immediate gains or differences? Any loss...any dynos? Thanks! Sorry for the misunderstanding..
Old 07-02-2001, 02:58 PM
Got Boost?

How many horsepower does the PCM Mod add, and can it hurt the engine? I dont want to get anything that voids the warranty. I just want to get more power!
Old 07-02-2001, 03:07 PM
Pro

<STRONG>
I just recently installed the Comptech Headers, and I'm DISAPPOINTED in the return for investment (And I got them for $900!!!)

</STRONG>
Hey Ogolden if you are that disappointed with your Headers I wil buy them from you $850.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Got Boost?

Whats the problem with the headers???
Old 07-02-2001, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everybody now: Roll it off your T o n g u e:
Nogarrrrrrrrrrrrrrooo

Sounds Sweet ! Looks even Betta !

Welcome, and, might I say. Darn sweet car you got there.

Originally posted by BNut:
<STRONG>
LOL! The joys of a 4 door sedan. Nogaro is the light blue color? Imola is the yellow one right?</STRONG>
Old 07-02-2001, 03:24 PM
Oh...Behave!

Originally posted by e1828:
<STRONG>

Hey Ogolden if you are that disappointed with your Headers I wil buy them from you $850. </STRONG>
Thanks for the offer, but after all the hassle (ups, cashier's check, 3 hr installation) they're staying on the car!

MY POINT IS: that HAD I KNOWN the SMALL increase in actual FEELING of acceleration, I would NOT have spent the $$$$.
In comparison, the $300 for the "chip", made of WORLD of difference!

Everyone, take my actually "real world" advice - save your $$$$ on those OVERPRICED headers, and get the PCM reprogrammed!!! (and a CAI) for maximum "BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK" performance increase!
Old 07-02-2001, 03:30 PM
Rod
Drifting

<STRONG>

Thanks for the offer, but after all the hassle (ups, cashier's check, 3 hr installation) they're staying on the car!

MY POINT IS: that HAD I KNOWN the SMALL increase in actual FEELING of acceleration, I would NOT have spent the $$$$.
In comparison, the $300 for the "chip", made of WORLD of difference!

Everyone, take my actually "real world" advice - save your $$$$ on those OVERPRICED headers, and get the PCM reprogrammed!!! (and a CAI) for maximum "BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK" performance increase! </STRONG>
But wouldn't the reprogramming of our PCM only be beneficial if we already have mods, such as headers and an CAI? Maybe this is why you felt such a drastic difference, if someone with a relatively stock car gets a chip, they probably won't notice much of a difference.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:26 AM
Oh...Behave!

I JUST got the headers! (...I thought that's what I said!)

I've had it "chipped" now for almost a year with just a Ram-air w/ K&N drop-in and removed the premuffler!
Old 07-03-2001, 04:04 AM
Instructor

go for a dyno...you should feel that 25+ hp and 8+ torque gain from the header,unless you got an exhaust leaking.

Quick Reply: Chip = 60hp & 100 ft/lbs of torque!