Chicago Area Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Area Service

Because I will need to be doing some service soon, I did a search on NW-Suburban Chicago Area dealers with "positive" results (forum member satisfaction) RE service. (I don't know where Lisle is though.)

As I'm sure it will pop up again, I am posting the results of my search, along with Acura's "Precision Team Dealer Distinction Status." Don't know if that "Precision Team Dealer" yada yada yada means anything, but I'm adding it anyway.

If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to add to this list.

Satisfactory
========
1. Libertyville Acura
Acura Of Libertyville received the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status the following year(s): 2001

2. Mueller's Woodfield Acura
Muller's Woodfield Acura received the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status the following year(s): 2001, 2000, 1997, 1993

3. Continental Lisle (Don't know where this is.)
NOT Precision Team Dealer of Distinction

Unsatisfactory
==========
1. McGrath Acura [Glenview]

I bought from these guys, but have YET to have something go RIGHT. So I'm going to try out Woodfield Acura.

Thanks

John

PS - Been reading and lurking for awhile. Good info here.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

FWIW, I bought my Acura from Muller's Woodfield Acura. I haven't had any service done yet (except for the spoiler install), but they have a nice (newly remodelled) facility and the people are all pretty friendly. The waiting area has big picture windows open to the service bay, so you can make sure they're not beating on your engine with a wrench!

There's also Arlington Acura in Palatine (I think on Dundee Road) that's part of the big Rohrman group. I don't know anything about them, but it's another dealership you might want to look up. I bought and serviced my previous car ('97 Prelude SH) from a Schaumburg Honda (another Rohrman dealership) and they always did a good job, especially after I was rear-ended and needed my entire exhaust replaced only a year after buying the car. I don't know if the level of professionalism and ability translates from the Honda dealer to the Acura dealer under the same umbrella, but it's another angle for you.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Chicago Area Service

Originally posted by John-K

Unsatisfactory
==========
1. McGrath Acura

I bought from these guys, but have YET to have something go RIGHT. So I'm going to try out Woodfield Acura.

GRRREEEEAAATTTT!!!

I bought from McGrath as well. But I haven't run up enough mileage (at 6600 currently) or had an issue that required me to take my car into them.

What kind of experiences have you had with them???? Do you have any mods that they may have given you crap for?
Old 10-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to Woodfield Acura and talk to Chris or Dan.....they take care of everything!!!!!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Re: Chicago Area Service

I agree with your top picks. I've only had good things to say about Libertyville Acura. I purchases my car from there. I also do all my service there. I will never step foot at MGrath acura in Glenview. I've had bad experiences there, and will not be giving them my business.

spiro
Originally posted by John-K
Because I will need to be doing some service soon, I did a search on NW-Suburban Chicago Area dealers with "positive" results (forum member satisfaction) RE service. (I don't know where Lisle is though.)

As I'm sure it will pop up again, I am posting the results of my search, along with Acura's "Precision Team Dealer Distinction Status." Don't know if that "Precision Team Dealer" yada yada yada means anything, but I'm adding it anyway.

If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to add to this list.

Satisfactory
========
1. Libertyville Acura
Acura Of Libertyville received the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status the following year(s): 2001

Muller's Woodfield Acura received the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status the following year(s): 2001, 2000, 1997, 1993

3. Continental Lisle (Don't know where this is.)

Unsatisfactory
==========
1. McGrath Acura

Thanks

John

PS - Been reading and lurking for awhile. Good info here.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

As RE: My experiences with McGrath [Glenview] -

1. Following purchase, I noticed that my wheel lock pieces (the things you use to take the lugs off) wasn't included with the car. Went back, where the sales rep started to grill me, as though I lost them. I kept telling him I didn't have them, and he kept saying I did. Back-and-forth. Finally, a tech comes back from the garage. Turns out they were in the service department on a tech's shelf. Sales rep was pretty embarassed. I didn't say anything.

2. I let the above experience go at the time, but now I discover that my windshield wiper problem isn't just a wiper problem. (Thanks to this site, I got the info I need.) I've been going to these jerks for the last two years with this. They replace the wiper. It appears to be fixed. Then a REAL rain storm hits, and the problem "reappears." I go back, and they replace the wiper again.

I finally discover that there is a service bulletin (01-004) on the fluid smearing problem, and these jerks have been giving me a line about how they've fixed it by replacing the wipers. I really dislike those guys, and can't wait to buy my next car from someone else. Of course, it will be an Acura.

PS - No mods, but after being around here for awhile, I'm interested!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

The Acura in Lisle is just East of Naperville on Ogden Av....
Old 10-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Thank you, Dom.

Please note that the above are not my recommendations; they are from the posts I've read. I am going to be scheduling an appointment with the Woodfield Acura based on the posts that I've read. Actually, I'm surprised that they're aren't more comments, but I probably missed more than a few.

PS - I have also added the FAQ recommended dealers:

http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/#Info16
Old 10-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
McGrath Acura of Glenview or Westmont???

I got mine in Westmont.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Great place... i been going there since 1996...
Old 10-14-2002, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Continental Acura has treated me great and I didnt even get my CL-S from them. I've read a lot of favorable comments regarding Woodfield Acura, don't think you can go wrong there.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:33 PM
4th Gear

I bought mine last year at arlington acura. I just hate having to make appointments at least 1 1/2 -2 weeks ahead to do anything. Anyway, I beat on the car for about 26k miles in one year and my tires are pretty worn out. Also, my steering wheel is starting to shake when i brake at about 55 or higher. I think it is just the tires and the wheels needing some balancing and alignment. I just ordered two new tires for the front, so i'll have it all adjusted when I strap on the new rubber. If that doesn't fix it, i'll take it to the dealer. The last time Arlington Acura gave me a loaner car, i was really ticked off cause they gave me a smelly ass 93 Vigor.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Well, visited the Muller Acura Woodfield. They took care of the wiper problem when I flashed the service bulletin. But when I mentioned the actuator problem, and that I wanted to get it checked, the night manager got ticked off and gave me a big hassle. Started yelling, so I played his game and yelled back. Went back and forth a bit.

I kept insisting that he check the actuator in front of me (I wanted to see it working). He finally agreed. I was relieved to see that my actuator seemed to work fine. Can't say why he made such a big deal about my asking about it. Kept grumbling about "the Internet" yada yada yada. Heck, if it weren't for this forum and other sources of web-information, I would never have known about the wiper bulletin.

Wasn't too happy with the guy. It's my car; don't know why he didn't respect that.

Still, I don't think he's a bad guy. He lightened up toward the end. And I was actually satisfied with the job the mechanic did for the wiper. So I'll go again. Overall, I was satisfied.

BTW - He quoted over $400 for the 30,000 mile service. I blew it off. I'll probably get parts of the service done instead of everything. Four hundred seems like way too much.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

More Threads

Another <A href="http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72138&perpage=15&highli ght=woodfield&pagenumber=2">thread</a> relevant to this one. Napleton, Arlington, and McGrath are discussed briefly.

Also see this <ahref="http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66938&highlight=woodfie ld">thread</a> for additional dealer info.

There appears to be a negative consensus regarding Pauly Acura RE: sales tactics, but nothing too much on their service department. As for my experience with Pauly service, I went there for an "express" oil change, and waited over an hour!

Nicky Pass seems to love Chris at Woodfield Acura.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I'm telling you.....give him a $10-$20 handshake (depending on what you get done) and it will make a world of difference. They replaec my drivers seat leather without even seeing it! They have fixed every stupid thing that has gone wrong with this car...they also take my appointment right away!!!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Hi Nicky -

I would feel kind of weird about tipping, because no one else seems to do it. Do you tip for regular service, e.g. oil changes; or do you do it when you have major service done? e.g. 30,000 mile service?

I'm going in for an oil change tomorrow. Switching over to synthetics at 27,000. I have MPG and service data for the life of the car, and will be sending in my oil for analysis. I will likely post results from my spreadsheet once I get back the restuls from Blackstone Labs.

An aside: I called Pauly Acura, and asked them if they use "oil from the drum." (i.e., recycled oil). Guy wouldn't give me a straight answer. Kept saying, "Depends on the grade." (!!?!!) So beware Pauly: they may or may not be using recycled oil.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

Hey, John-

I too am in NW IL and I drive my CL-S up to Zimbrick Acura in Middleton (VERY near Madison).

If you are close enough to make the drive worth it, I'd go there!

Later!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I just tip them for everything, this makes them happy to see you, and they'll want to keep you happy. I think its worth it!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Fuct in the hed!

You just answered your question....noone seems to do it.
Since you do it, they'll treat you better ex. free oil change