Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (anyone?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (anyone?)

Has anyone used it? For those who feel their car is sluggish
at times or use Arco 91 gasoline or any other cheap 91 gasoline, maybe this could help to clean up deposits at the bottom of your gas tank?

Customer Benefits

Chevron TECHRON Concentrate delivers value through

Restores lost power and performance

Helps reduce the octane requirement

Fights knock, ping, and run-on caused by deposit buildup

Cleans power robbing deposits from intake valves

Cleans harmful deposits from clogged fuel injectors and dirty carburetors.

Features

Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, with its exclusive formula, is unbeatable in cleaning the entire fuel system and restores lost power and performance caused by deposit build-up in passenger cars and light duty trucks. Chevron TECHRON Concentrate works in one tankful and is unbeatable at helping your engine achieve maximum performance and operate with the lowest possible emissions.

Applications
Chevron TECHRON Concentrate is designed for all carbureted or fuel injected spark ignition engines.
To keep the entire fuel system clean, use Chevron TECHRON Concentrate every 3,000 miles.
This product can be used with diesel fuel in light duty indirect-injected diesel engines.
Not recommended for air-cooled two-stroke engines.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

god damn fricken moderator too lazy to use search before posting

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=techron

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=techron

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...lAdditives.htm

Old 06-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Without reading the searches, I was told repeatly by my dealership, that its a waste of money.........Perhaps it's better for older engines, but not ours !
Old 06-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Welll..

I used to do some consulting for Chevron way back when (before they bought Texaco, or merged...) and if I remmeber some studies I believe that Techron was one of those fuel additives that does not burn very readily. Generally the stuff sits at the bottom of the tank in a large concentration before it actually goes through the system and burns off completely.

The stuff might have gotten better since then, but I still refuse to add any Chevron (and now for that matter Texaco) fuel to my car for just that one reason.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:25 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Just great, just flippin great. Techron is the reason I have been using Chevron exclusively for about 10 years. Now JSuppi has burst my bubble. His opinion sounds like it is based on some facts, but I hope he is wrong. Thought I read somewhere that the Techron was the only additive Honda approved of. I dont buy the bottles, but I do buy the petrol for this reason. Need some more knowledgable input please.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:12 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Be consistent. I use the same gasoline as much as possible, Amoco Supreme with 93 octane. Once a month I let my tank run down until I hit fumes, then refill the tank and every quarter I add a fuel additive to the tank when she gets empty, similar to Techron. Never had a problem from my cars, even the Supra which made it to 327,000 miles before my girlfriend killed it - she drove it when the rear oil seal went, and locked the motor up.

Also change your fuel filter at least once a year to make sure no deposits hit your engine if your filter fails.

This method works for me. If you haven't had any problems with Techron, don't switch then.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the Techron Fuel System cleaner in about twice a year. The car is not sluggish; it's just that I use Shell Premium (the dealer is around the corner and I trust him and have used his gas for 15-years and never gotten a bad tank).

I don't know about putting it in to "help" a sluggo engine, but it couldn't hurt (IMO, don't expect a miracle 95% of the time...)

BTW, the last time I checked (less than a year ago), the major US car makers, would have Chevron brought up for use in their "smog"/"EPA" testing...

Finally, if the station I trust with the same people around the corner started selling Chevron, I wouldn't bother with the "extra" bottle -- the fuel already had enough in it when used all the time...

As a note -- when "about" and not near my station I've got a few bad batches of gas from Arco. They always seem to have the best prices around, but I've just had some bad luck... (And, it's easy to "rig" gas. Try some other gas station and/or brand of gas -- no telling what's going on these days with all of the 'pump rigging tricks')...

$0.02
Old 06-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dajuice27
Be consistent. I use the same gasoline as much as possible, Amoco Supreme with 93 octane. Once a month I let my tank run down until I hit fumes, then refill the tank and every quarter I add a fuel additive to the tank when she gets empty, similar to Techron. Never had a problem from my cars, even the Supra which made it to 327,000 miles before my girlfriend killed it - she drove it when the rear oil seal went, and locked the motor up.

Also change your fuel filter at least once a year to make sure no deposits hit your engine if your filter fails.

This method works for me. If you haven't had any problems with Techron, don't switch then.
So how much would the replacement of the fuel filter cost, just in case, and would this replacement be much more of a hassle than say the engine oil filter?