Changing the S/C Alternator Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Swim Bike Run...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the S/C Alternator Pulley?

Is it possible to change the S/C alternator pulley without removing the alternator or the blower? For experimentation, I want to swap between the normal boost pulley and the HBP. But I don't want to have to pull the blower and remove the alternator if I don't have to.

Also, do I need a special tool to loosen the alternator belt tensioner? Or can I use a standard tool?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

you can leave the charger on.... but you need to take the alternator off... it is a tight squeeze, but with the right tools (impact gun), you can manage to accomplish what you have set out to do...

I must say, if you think this is a walk in the park and you plan on changing pulleys all the time, you better have some time on your hands.. because it is not a 15 minute job with the charger in place.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda should sell it!

Originally Posted by cartan
Is it possible to change the S/C alternator pulley without removing the alternator or the blower? For experimentation, I want to swap between the normal boost pulley and the HBP. But I don't want to have to pull the blower and remove the alternator if I don't have to.

Also, do I need a special tool to loosen the alternator belt tensioner? Or can I use a standard tool?

Thanks!
when did you get a sc?shoulda kept the b-pipe!
Old 09-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Swim Bike Run...

Originally Posted by Smitty
I must say, if you think this is a walk in the park and you plan on changing pulleys all the time, you better have some time on your hands.. because it is not a 15 minute job with the charger in place.
Thanks for the input. I don't plan to change it regularly. I am just having a slight problem with vibration around 4500 RPM with the HBP. I want to try the regular pulley to determine what, if any, difference it makes.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
^ Did Brandon call you? He told me he ordered a new blower for you they are going to try.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Swim Bike Run...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
^ Did Brandon call you? He told me he ordered a new blower for you they are going to try.
Brandon said the new blower was on order. But I haven't received word that it has arrived yet. Since Tischer is not sure what is going on, I figured I'd try some experimentation while I wait for the new blower to arrive.

When I pull the belt off the blower, the vibration disappears. So either the blower is vibrating when spinning, or the vibration is being transferred to the blower through the blower belt. Switching pulleys should help me answer this since at the same crank RPM, the blower will be spinning more slowly. If I install the regular pulley and the vibration starts at a different RPM, then I would assume the blower is the problem. If the vibration starts at the same RPM, then the vibration is probably being transferred through the blower belt and the blower itself is OK. If the vibration completely disappears, then perhaps the pulley is bad. At least these are my assumptions and my reason for inquiring about the difficulty swapping pulleys.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cartan
Brandon said the new blower was on order. But I haven't received word that it has arrived yet. Since Tischer is not sure what is going on, I figured I'd try some experimentation while I wait for the new blower to arrive.

I was there Friday and he said he needed to call you because he had a blower for you. If you haven't talked to him lately you might want to give them a call Tuesday. They were very busy Thursday and Friday. I've actually been in a loaner car since Thursday AM and will be in it till Wednesday probably.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Swim Bike Run...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I was there Friday and he said he needed to call you because he had a blower for you. If you haven't talked to him lately you might want to give them a call Tuesday. They were very busy Thursday and Friday. I've actually been in a loaner car since Thursday AM and will be in it till Wednesday probably.
Thanks! I'll give him a call on Tuesday.

I saw your thread about the error codes. I hope they get it all straightened out for you.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

No problem, I hope things get worked out for you as well. Brandon actually told me "Brian isn't being picky, that vibration really is annoying!"

When you get a chance, i'd like to go over the Mugen mods. I'll PM you later and maybe we can set something up.