Carputer? Check.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carputer? Check.

Okay, so as some of you know, I recently bought a 2003 Acura CL Type S 6 Speed. As my first mod and real project, I decided to build a carputer. After 3 weeks with the parts in hand and about 20 hours of work, im done. I am actually posting this from my school parking lot so the only camera i have handy is my phone. i'll eventually get around to a more formal showoff, but for now this is it. give me your opinions!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, what navi software is that?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice, so u used a laptop as ur computer right ??
I see what looks like a laptop in ur glove comp box.

Looks nice assuming there are no wires hanging here and there.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Very nice, what navi software is that?
It is Microsoft Streets and Trips 2008 with a plug-in/patch called "Streets and Trips Keys" to make it touchscreen friendly and unlock full screen mode.

Originally Posted by poisx7
Nice, so u used a laptop as ur computer right ??
I see what looks like a laptop in ur glove comp box.

Looks nice assuming there are no wires hanging here and there.
Yes, I used a Samsung Q1 UMPC as my core unit. The only wires visible are the ones you see in the glove compartment, of which there are only 3. I didn't want it hidden and hard mounted because I still use the PC outside of the car. This way, it easily disconnects.

The other wire and keyboard you see in my hand is in the center console. The keyboard is if I need to do a lot of typing and the wire is there for connecting my MP3 Player and external hard drive when need be.

All other wires are neatly hidden and if I didn't open the glove compartment, most wouldn't even notice that the car didn't come this way.

The pictures kinda give the impression that it is messy, but it's not. I'll try to take some more shortly.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
http://www.fluxmedia.net/

Check this out. It's pretty damn cool, and very easy to use.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

I prefer to pass on running a standalone front-end. Too complicated and difficult to configure, with all the plug-ins and such required. Not to mention the system rescources required to even run them. I tried roadrunner for a while and absolutely hated it and after trying a centrafuse trial, I see no features that make it worth any amount of money.

I did however like Digital Dash, but it requires a permanently active internet connection to run it's navigation software.

I'll stick with winamp and streets and trips. My setup does me just fine. Not a single problem yet.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cd5-obsession
It is Microsoft Streets and Trips 2008 with a plug-in/patch called "Streets and Trips Keys" to make it touchscreen friendly and unlock full screen mode.

Yes, I used a Samsung Q1 UMPC as my core unit. The only wires visible are the ones you see in the glove compartment, of which there are only 3. I didn't want it hidden and hard mounted because I still use the PC outside of the car. This way, it easily disconnects.

The other wire and keyboard you see in my hand is in the center console. The keyboard is if I need to do a lot of typing and the wire is there for connecting my MP3 Player and external hard drive when need be.

All other wires are neatly hidden and if I didn't open the glove compartment, most wouldn't even notice that the car didn't come this way.

The pictures kinda give the impression that it is messy, but it's not. I'll try to take some more shortly.
Ok, does that means that u also loose functionality of the AC and How do u use the navigation program ? (i.e what is used as input device when u need to enter a location or address).
More so is there a way to do this and have like a split screen or PIP so that u can still controll the factory AC control on the touch screen.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

one more, question HOW Does this navi program work ? does that mean u will need a GPS sensor or what actually relays back ur global position.

ok i think i just figured out the later .....
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...e_tab=Overview
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
¿baCon?

bad ass dude, and rock on to 1000 ft crutch "throw up ya rawk fist" lol.

much props.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice setup but isnt ur laptop cooking in the glove box?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by poisx7
Ok, does that means that u also loose functionality of the AC and How do u use the navigation program ? (i.e what is used as input device when u need to enter a location or address).
More so is there a way to do this and have like a split screen or PIP so that u can still controll the factory AC control on the touch screen.
I converted the AC controls to the controls out of the CL with factory Navi (the little strip above the stereo) which means I did lose some functionality of the AC, but i've yet to need or want to use any of the features given up. Auto pretty much has me taken care of.

As far as navigation goes, the little orange box in the top right corner is a universal, always on top on screen keyboard called "Zero Weight Keyboard." I use it for all text entry in any program, unless it's lengthy, and then I use the keyboard in the center console. Also, you can't see it, but "Streets and Trips Keys" (the plug-in for streets and trips to add touch screen functionality) brings up a touch friendly menu once the screen is touched that gives you access to all of the functions of S&T you may need while driving.

Originally Posted by DC3328
nice setup but isnt ur laptop cooking in the glove box?
Suprisingly, No. The AC vents have little foam seals that seal the dash trim to the actualy duct. I just removed about 1/2" of foam from both passenger vents so that anytime the car itself is hot enough to need AC, the computer is getting it too!

Also guys, the pictures kinda give the impression that it is a sloppy install with wires hanging everywhere, but it's not. My goal was to have it as OEM looking as possible and I think I achieved that pretty well. There are no wires hanging here and there or chopped up dash pieces that give away that fact that it is not stock.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

good job
Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
really sweet dude. Of course, I'd be driving and posting on AZ
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
nicely done!

i especially like your taste in music got any skillet, 12 stones or kutless?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how long does it take to boot?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Thank you for explaining the changes to you climate control unit (that you dash is a Nav/no Nav frankenstein). I'm staring at the pics and thinking, "somethings not right here". I was going to ask if you were in Canada as i didn't know if the interior might be a little different up there but my CL-S 6MT no nav has a very different set up to the climate controls than you do.

No that that's said, looks good
Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike
nicely done!

i especially like your taste in music got any skillet, 12 stones or kutless?
Of course, but casting crowns and third day are my top two. However, my all time favorite song in the Christian genre is "Big Daddy Weave - Everytime I Breathe". I'm really into blues as well and some of the more heavy rock they play these days but 90% of the time I have my Blues and Christian playlists open and the player on shuffle.

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
how long does it take to boot?
I don't hard boot everytime, so it's hard to say. I just hibernate it and doing it that way it's up and running about 25 seconds after I turn it on. Once I get a startup/shutdown controller I plan on wiping the hard drive clean and starting with a "Tiny XP" copy of windows which is under 300MB and boots in around 12 seconds. I just didn't see any point yet cuz I still gotta hit the power button AND i've been constantly changing the software I use for different things, so it'd be cluttered up again anyway.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
your setup looks pretty sweet! Good job!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job.... here are some pics of a hardwire system I setup in my rear glove box a while back. been working for a while now. Using roadrunner as the front end and using a skin called digital FX which make it about 1000 times easier to use. check out mp3car.com for the free software.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...=488879&page=3
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dshearon
nice job.... here are some pics of a hardwire system I setup in my rear glove box a while back. been working for a while now. Using roadrunner as the front end and using a skin called digital FX which make it about 1000 times easier to use. check out mp3car.com for the free software.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...=488879&page=3
that's the skin I was using and for some reason, I still prefer it the way I got it running. Again, i've yet to have a problem. Maybe one day when I feel like tinkering some, i'll give roadrunner a try again. See, not only do I gotta worry about embedding streets and trips to replace the iGuidance native support, but roadrunner also has some problems running at the resolution I want. I actually think it's my pc being gay, but its still a problem I don't feel like dealing with.