Carbon Monoxide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Monoxide?

Well, I just had a visit from a local police officer. Some guy down the street died fron CO poisioning. Its starting to get cold here in PA, and he was working on his car with the garage door closed. I guess he started running it, and was overcome. His wife came home and found him dead on the floor next to the car. He was a car guy, I never talked to him, but I know he liked to work on cars. I always saw classic and newer cars around his house. He was into both worlds I suppose. Classic muscle and modern cars as well.
What reasons would somebody have to run the engine while looking under the hood?
How much CO do our cars put off? I don't know what kind of car he was working on.
What does CO do? I know its colorless, tastless, and odorless. Will a person get any warning before passing out? I'm getting some CO detectors... I don't care how much they cost. How long would it take for a average sized garage to fill up with a normal sized engine at idle?
Old 10-09-2001, 12:53 AM
Race Director

All of your questions can be answered in detail with some research on the Internet. I just briefly searched and there appeared to be many, many articles and a lot of reading.

Sounds to me like his vehicle might have been malfunctioning and putting out excessive CO. You probably shouldn't have a problem by running the engine no longer than a minute or two. In any case, CO is the silent killer and no one cares or worries about it until it's too late. It is so, so easy to prevent. You are right. Get a CO Detector; it could save your life. Sorry to hear about your neighbor.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:59 AM
Banned

Well, he wasn't really my neighbor... he lived down the street, but I would think he knew better. I'll see what it says in tomorrows paper.

Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>All of your questions can be answered in detail with some research on the Internet. I just briefly searched and there appeared to be many, many articles and a lot of reading.

Sounds to me like his vehicle might have been malfunctioning and putting out excessive CO. You probably shouldn't have a problem by running the engine no longer than a minute or two. In any case, CO is the silent killer and no one cares or worries about it until it's too late. It is so, so easy to prevent. You are right. Get a CO Detector; it could save your life. Sorry to hear about your neighbor. </STRONG>
Old 10-09-2001, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

its gas asphyxiation. From what i can remember, basically you black out from not
enough O2 going to your noggin

um, i was kinda rite:
Carbon monoxide enters the bloodstream through the lungs and forms carboxyhemoglobin, a compound that inhibits the blood's capacity to carry oxygen to organs and tissues. Persons with heart disease are especially sensitive to carbon monoxide poisoning and may experience chest pain if they breathe the gas while exercising. Infants, elderly persons, and individuals with respiratory diseases are also particularly sensitive. Carbon monoxide can affect healthy individuals, imparing exercise capacity, visual perception, manual dexterity, learning functions, and ability to perform complex tasks.

Carbon monoxide results from incomplete combustion of fuel and is emitted directly from vehicle tailpipes. Incomplete combustion is most likely to occur at low air-to-fuel ratios in the engine. These conditions are common during vehicle starting when air supply is restricted ("choked"), when cars are not tuned properly, and at altitude, where "thin" air effectively reduces the amount of oxygen available for combustion (except in cars that are designed or adjusted to compensate for altitude).
More from the EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/03-co.htm

It also happens if you have a bbq indoors;
people who can't afford heating have died this way

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: KavexTrax ]

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: KavexTrax ]
Old 10-09-2001, 10:43 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got carbon monoxide poisoning when I was 13. The flu in the fire place of my aunts house leaked and my blood was 23% contaminated, 26-30% usually means death. It suuced, I couldn't move and I had stay in the hospital for 5 days.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:05 AM
Drifting

As indicated earlier, maybe a good idea to not only have a CO2 in the house (you all have that, right!), but also in the garage. Even with the door open a screwy draft or bad malfunction in the system could cause a build up.