can i replace flex pipe with straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005 | 10:46 PM
Advanced

Help!!!!!!!

i jsut installed my alphawerks headers and they were a bitch to install ... anyway i got this super loud high pitched noise that sounds like crap and it happens under a decent load and goes through the whole powerband! i tightened the bolts 3 times,,, anyone have a clue!?
Old 09-19-2005 | 11:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shastsmae
i jsut installed my alphawerks headers and they were a bitch to install ... anyway i got this super loud high pitched noise that sounds like crap and it happens under a decent load and goes through the whole powerband! i tightened the bolts 3 times,,, anyone have a clue!?
Mine were a bitch too and I'm having the same noise, high pitched whistling noise under load. Can't hear it at idle or cruise. I used a piece of hose like a stethescope and it doesn't seem to be leaking. It seems to be coming from the inside of the header. I did a search and found this. The third post down. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=whistling

Anybody have any ideas? Otherwise I'll be taking the things off again and try to clean up the inside.

Dan
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:21 AM
Advanced

i think in that case it might be my O ring. i used one for a chevy somthing.. and its the kind when you tighten it it compresses and im guessing that it compressed and overlaped on the inside of the exhaust and its making the whistle because of that.... MAYBE
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:59 AM
Racer

I used the same type of O ring you did. It sucks that these headers don't use the OE type gasket and they don't supply you with the correct gasket.

I just replaced the o-ring type gasket with one similar to the header flange gaskets and it didn't help, I'm getting the same noise. When I took it off there was no signs of leaking
Old 09-20-2005 | 01:13 AM
Advanced

so you dont think it has to do with the o-ring? what do you think it is then?
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:25 AM
Advanced

does anyone have a hissing noise after headers?

i checked for leaks and im bringing my car into a muffler shop today but after i installed my alphaworks headers it has a hissing noise coming out of the exhaust. anyone else have this problem? its not a resonance sound its like a loud hiss. really annoying
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Sounds like you have a small leak.
Old 09-20-2005 | 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

i had a similiar problem, it was coming from the mesh that flexes on the bottom of the downpipe. shop said there were no leaks, just a possible defective downpipe. it just sounded a little funny until i got the b-pipe, now it sounds sweet. ps the hissing noise only happened between liek 2,000 and 4,000 rpms. and i have comptechs.
Old 09-20-2005 | 10:12 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

its resonance...get some raid...and spray it all in the muffler..it will kill them crickets

^^^ thats per kahrupt hahaha
Old 09-20-2005 | 10:53 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
its resonance...get some raid...and spray it all in the muffler..it will kill them crickets

^^^ thats per kahrupt hahaha

Oh wait, if it hisses it may be a snake went through one of the mufflers
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:10 PM
Advanced

i dont think it can be resonance its too loud. and if i floor it it does it all thru the powerband up til redline. one shop said it is could be the flex pipe and after some driving it will quiet down and eventually go away
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:32 PM
Advanced

can i replace flex pipe with straight pipe?

i did a search and sombody said to get rid of the hissing noise in the headers, you can take it to a muffler shop and have them replace the flexpipe with a straight pipe and that should take care of it.... has anyone done this or does anyone know if it would work?>? i was thinking about doing it.
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

you wish to hack up your headers and put in a straight pipe...

good luck trying to line up the cat converter and bolt everything back up... the flex pipe is there for a reason... so the exhaust system can flex when you go over uneven roadways/bumps and so you can bolt the exhaust system up without pulling on the down pipe with such force as to bend it or break the bolts.

Sounds like you bought some cheap headers and now you have the nightmare like every other cheap ass on this forum that thought they saved a bunch of money...

You prolly have numerous burs on the inside of the headers that are causing the noise... soon enough you will be taking them off to get them rewelded when your welds break from removing the flexpipe.

good luck..
Old 09-20-2005 | 01:21 PM
o1s
Drifting

hmm brutal yet effective punch to the right kidney.
Old 09-20-2005 | 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

fookin relax with making 3 threads for the same problem.

threads merged.
Old 09-20-2005 | 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smitty
you wish to hack up your headers and put in a straight pipe...

good luck trying to line up the cat converter and bolt everything back up... the flex pipe is there for a reason... so the exhaust system can flex when you go over uneven roadways/bumps and so you can bolt the exhaust system up without pulling on the down pipe with such force as to bend it or break the bolts.

Sounds like you bought some cheap headers and now you have the nightmare like every other cheap ass on this forum that thought they saved a bunch of money...

You prolly have numerous burs on the inside of the headers that are causing the noise... soon enough you will be taking them off to get them rewelded when your welds break from removing the flexpipe.

good luck..

i got the alphawerks headers. i thought they were supposed to be good. i just want this noise to go away. the car seems quicker but the noise is so annoying espically since its a luxury car.
Old 09-20-2005 | 02:33 PM
Team Owner

I agree with Smitty.

If you are going to hack up your headers to get it to fit better, why not just have the exhaust shop align the down pipe and the cat properly so the "snake" goes away. Taking out the flex pipe is not a good idea. Remember that your engine shifts slightly when the gears are changed, and the exhaust system doesn't shift as much.
Old 09-20-2005 | 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

You get what you pay for
Old 09-20-2005 | 03:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I agree with Smitty.

If you are going to hack up your headers to get it to fit better, why not just have the exhaust shop align the down pipe and the cat properly so the "snake" goes away. Taking out the flex pipe is not a good idea. Remember that your engine shifts slightly when the gears are changed, and the exhaust system doesn't shift as much.
what do you mean align it up properly? everything aligns it just makes that noise and it sounds like its coming from the flex pipe.. do you think putting header wrap around it would do anything?? prally not?
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just put on Alphawerks, no problems at all except tiny bit of resonence at 3K rpms.
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:01 PM
Beware of leakage

The shitski has spoken bow and spread em