Camber kit after these alignment specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber kit after these alignment specs?

So I brought my car two weeks later after a h&r drop and tokico shocks to get it aligned. They got the boot and caster back to specs and the camber back to specs in the front.

The rear left camber is -1.14 degree and right rear is -1.44 degree....it says should be from -1 to 0 to meet specs. Is this .14-.44 degree variant enough to warrant a camber kit, because I really dont want to put down the money for this...or will my tire wear be okay, since the front is the one wear the tread really gets shot. Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 10:12 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
get a camber kit i droped my cl and went threw tires like there was no tomorrow. i had the ingalls kit put o deffently worth the money. other wise you will spen twice as much by replacing tires if you have nice ones anyway
Old 06-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Power of Dreams

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
So I brought my car two weeks later after a h&r drop and tokico shocks to get it aligned. They got the boot and caster back to specs and the camber back to specs in the front.

The rear left camber is -1.14 degree and right rear is -1.44 degree....it says should be from -1 to 0 to meet specs. Is this .14-.44 degree variant enough to warrant a camber kit, because I really dont want to put down the money for this...or will my tire wear be okay, since the front is the one wear the tread really gets shot. Thanks
You should be fine, unless the look of negative camber on the rear bothers you. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about abnormal tire wear so long as your toe specifications were set back to factory tolerance.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:47 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have -.5 for my front wheels and theres no uneven tire wear. my rears were -1.5 and i got a camber kit for it. -1 or more i think u def need a camber kit
Old 06-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
i'd get it to play it safe. eventually you'll need to get it because as the springs settle the camber will change.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The rear is a bit high. With my CT drop I'm at 1.1 rear. .1 past the limit. Not a big deal. My car has been ok.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How is the front?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sgmotoring
How is the front?
he said they got the front within specs just fine...

Originally Posted by renegade
Old 06-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
usually, most people have more tires wear in the front.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Yea Im thinking I will let it go...i dont even know what camber is so I cant tell that it looks any different than before hand? But they said they got the toe and caster back to spec.

Since the back tires hardly wear I guess I wont do anything and see if the inner tread of the back tires wear a lot more prematurely...since I drive hard I only get about 10-12k out of my all season conti's anyhow.

If I do decide to get a camber kit which one should I get and where...also what price should I expect to pay?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

Yea Im thinking I will let it go...i dont even know what camber is so I cant tell that it looks any different than before hand? But they said they got the toe and caster back to spec.

Since the back tires hardly wear I guess I wont do anything and see if the inner tread of the back tires wear a lot more prematurely...since I drive hard I only get about 10-12k out of my all season conti's anyhow.

If I do decide to get a camber kit which one should I get and where...also what price should I expect to pay?
Camber is the angle at which the tire rests on the ground. the more negative the angle, the more the top of the tire leans inward towards the tire well, the more positive the number, the more the top of the tire leans outward away from the tire well. So in turn the negative camber provides higher wear on the inner portion of the tread because the inner-bottom part of the tire is making more contact with the ground than the outer portion of the tread.

There is a good article here on alignment and a description of camber towards the top:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...eral/align.jsp

As for the proper camber kit to choose, well it depends on how bad the camber is on your car.

Speciality Products and Ingall's make some of the best kits. Eibach also provides some alignment kits. Each kit provides a different level of correction. So in order to buy a kit you'd first need to know how bad your camber is, and then purchase the kit that would provide the correct level of correction. So if you hold out right now on buying a kit, you'd have to later on get your alignemtn done so you can know what kit to buy, then buy the kit, have it installed and then have the camber corrected.

Do a search on here for both and you'll see what other's have put. or go to

http://www.comptechusa.com
http://www.neuspeed.com
http://www.c-c-c.net

to look up the camber kits.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Thanks, as you know I just got my alignment the springs are settled and I dobut the camber would change much at all....

On the rears its -1.14 and -1.44 degrees so it doesnt need a big correction.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Thanks, as you know I just got my alignment the springs are settled and I dobut the camber would change much at all....

On the rears its -1.14 and -1.44 degrees so it doesnt need a big correction.
Springs never stop settling, as they wear they settle even more.

On my last car which was an integra gs-r, i installed Progress 2.2" springs.

over the years they settled to be about a 3"+ drop

so springs never stop settling. But the rate at which they settle depends on how much you drive, and how you drive your car.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

WTF damn I wish I knew that before getting the h&r then, I would have went with something more slight...I thought my springs would settle at around 1.95/1.7 but since I am going to have this car for a while I dont want it on the ground in a few years
Old 06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

WTF damn I wish I knew that before getting the h&r then, I would have went with something more slight...I thought my springs would settle at around 1.95/1.7 but since I am going to have this car for a while I dont want it on the ground in a few years
Typically when you notice that your springs aren't as responsive, or bounce a lot or they have settled past where you want them to be (especially after a couple years) most people just swap out the springs. Luckily the springs aren't that expensive either comparied to shocks and stuff.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

no they arent but install prices arent that great around here, but I thought the h&r were powdercoated or some shit to reduce sagging and last without losing responsiveness and bouncing a lot.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

DUDE... don't worry about that! It's not like they are going to sag an addition inch in a few months. Over tens of thousands of miles you might notice the springs have settled more. But it is nothing to worry about. It's not like the car is going to be resting on its bumpers in 3 years.

Chill out
Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

no they arent but install prices arent that great around here, but I thought the h&r were powdercoated or some shit to reduce sagging and last without losing responsiveness and bouncing a lot.
i didn't know powdercoating could help that, that's new to me. maybe the extra coating is to prolong the life of the spring. My progress springs on my gs-r had a powdercoat on them as well, but i didn't know it was for that reason.

i forgot to include the cost of spring install. yea for replacing springs with labor you're looking at 400 bucks usually depending on what spring you go with + install. so that can add up, but again, it depends on how much you drive your car and how you drive it.

honestly I wouldn't worry too much about spring settling. but at least be aware that over time they will continue to settle. You should be alright if you want to wait on getting your camber kit, but keep a good eye on it. because before you know it you'll have a set of worn tires and then you have to replace your tires and get a camber kit which will be even more expensive.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Can your provide info on the claim "springs never stop settling"? I have been told by countless suspension people springs do not settle past what they are supposed to drop the car by. Comptech has stated their springs don't settle at all cause they are engineered to the weight spec of the car at each corner. Not trying to start anything just curious as to where this comes from?

Your sure your not confusing this with wearing out your springs? Over time yes springs wear out like any other part. However that takes a ton of miles.

In any case I wouldn't be worried about it Renegade, & just enjoy the car.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Can your provide info on the claim "springs never stop settling"? I have been told by countless suspension people springs do not settle past what they are supposed to drop the car by. Comptech has stated their springs don't settle at all cause they are engineered to the weight spec of the car at each corner. Not trying to start anything just curious as to where this comes from?

Your sure your not confusing this with wearing out your springs? Over time yes springs wear out like any other part. However that takes a ton of miles.

In any case I wouldn't be worried about it Renegade, & just enjoy the car.
I'm sorry I don't have any hard data to go by for my claim, only my experience in the past with springs on my car as well as friends cars.

Don't worry about stating somethin, I dont see it as trying to start something, i'm probably gonna learn something new outta this....

I see your point about springs not settling past a certain point; however, as the springs wear out (over a long period of time) doesn't metal fatigue on the spring cause it's ability to hold a certain amount of tension decrease over time? I would think that is the case no matter how well you manufacture a spring. The only difference of course would be, like you said, the springs are manufactured in such a way that they will last a longer period of time.

Maybe someone on the board that's has had comptech springs on their car, or another brand could chime in on how their springs are performing today compared to when they first installed them if they installed them a couple years ago or more (i smell a new thread being possibly started) but since the 2nd gen CL is only 3-4 years old we may not have all the info we want to figure this out.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:15 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts

H&R and Eibach heat treat their springs to prevent much spring settling. But rascal is right, after a few years they seem to lose their step a little

My sportlines definately don't perform like they use to But some of that can attribute to the fact that they are made for a car a few hundred pounds lighter