Calling on all CT SC Owners.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Calling on all CT SC Owners.......

I have a ER question regarding the SC. My CL-S 6spd is supercharged and while doing my an oil change tonight and inspecting the engine bay I noticed some oil residue on the bottom portion of the SC, which seems to have smeared/spread over to the coolant hoses. I can see the oil residue with dirt on the bottom part of the SC inlet goin towards the engine block. Now it does not seem to be a large leak because there is no oil on the garage floor and i cant see oil drop formation on the SC housing.

Since CT is not in business, What can I do or have to do to stop this mild leak?

How can I check the charger to make sure it has sufficient lubricant in the housing and I am not low? Can anyone give me instructions how to take the charger off? this item was installed by my Acura dealer in Austin, TX and I no longer live there.

My primary concern is that the oil ends up leaking out and the charger ends failing on me.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey man

i didnt know there was another sc cl in dallas. il help you out if youd like. how many miles are on your motor?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

my car only has 36K miles on the clock. I had the supercharger install when the car had 11k by Sterling Acura in Austin, TX
Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, Comptech IS in business and their site is even back up and running with a new format. I looked at it for the first time just now. You must call them. Ask for Nate, he knows his shit and is very helpful and friendly. Second, we need pics and some more info if we are going to be able to help. I know Dallas is only three short hours from Austin so going to the dealer there is not impossible. Now for some speculation. My blower was shipped to me without the jack shaft hex bolts tight. It is in the instructions that you must be extremely delicate not to flex the jackshaft from the blower housing when all hex bolts are not in place, read through all the instructions and you will see what I am talking about. Mine flexed during shipping and all the fluid leaked out. I sent it back to Comptech for a full rebuild since it was used. To have the seal redone and the fluid refilled you have to send it back to Comptech. The rebuild cost me $450 but UPS paid for it and then some. It should be much cheaper to redo just the seal. If the mechanic who put it in flexed the jackshaft/blower seal then you are probably leaking. Get the residue on your hand and smell it. If it is a strong pungent stinky odor unlike anything automotive you have ever smelled it’s more than likely the gear oil for the blower and you know what you have to do. The color PDF instructions are available under your specific blower model on the Comptech site. They are quite detailed and anything you don't understand I can tell you through PM or I will give you my cell#. It took me 35 minutes to remove my blower to adjust some crap under it and 25 minutes to reinstall it but I did do the original install. It really is idiot proof with the right tools and quality help from the gurus and I on this board. Have no fear and stay calm! We will get you through this. Maybe its nothing! Jotech Racing in Dallas should be able to take care of you also if you have the money, are freaking out, and refuse to DIY.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If not Comptech, contact these guys to service.
http://www.mn12performance.com/magnuson/magnuson.htm
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
car

so like 20k on the s/c so far. definately need it serviced and resealed shut and relubricated. comptech is back in business with new owners. contact them first
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

The charger was installed back in 2005 in Austin at Sterling Acura. The unit was purchased brand new and everthing looked and function fine for the past three years. Obviously, the dealer will not want to look at it unless I pay an arm and leg to tell me that I have a leak. The leak seems to be coming from the bottom portion were the rod/pully shaft attaches to the charger on the right side of the car. I just want to know if this common w/ the charger and if there is a way of addressing this problem without having to pull the dam thing out.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
The leak seems to be coming from the bottom portion were the rod/pully shaft attaches to the charger on the right side of the car. I just want to know if this common w/ the charger and if there is a way of addressing this problem without having to pull the dam thing out.
That is where I am talking about! there is a seal there and if it broke, was flexed, or is just leaking, you need to pull the blower. Time to learn how to work on your CL. Its not that hard. Its not a common problem but the solution is simple. Seriously, get some tools cheap as hell at Harbor Freight and get on it. The instructions are idiot proof and it takes about 30 minutes to pull it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jproy
That is where I am talking about! there is a seal there and if it broke, was flexed, or is just leaking, you need to pull the blower. Time to learn how to work on your CL. Its not that hard. Its not a common problem but the solution is simple. Seriously, get some tools cheap as hell at Harbor Freight and get on it. The instructions are idiot proof and it takes about 30 minutes to pull it.
Could you help with the steps of how to remove the unit or if possible PM the instructions. I dont have the instructions that came with the unit. Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
Could you help with the steps of how to remove the unit or if possible PM the instructions. I dont have the instructions that came with the unit. Thanks
Right Click the link below and select "Save Target As"

Supercharger Installation instructions - CL-S6
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, I spoke yesterday to Nate from Comptech. He told me that most likely I have a bad seal, but to confirm the problem that I should take it to Joe Tech in Garland TX(North Dallas). He related that if the blower is bad that I would have to send it to Magnusson for the repair since they are the manufacture of the part. Has anyone heard of this place Garland TX? Is this a job that I can do myself? (pulling off the blower) I am mechanical oriented but I dont have all the tools to get into the tight spots. Is there away of just pulling the blower and pully shaft off without having to pull everything else off?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
MP90 uninstalled

I have spoken with Nate about the seal as mine broke during shipping because it was not bolted up correctly when it was shipped to me from the guy I purchased it from. he confirmed to me that it must go to Magnusson or this other company maybe in Indiana, I forget. Apparently there is something special about how the seal is formed/installed and cannot be DIY'ed. Magnusson is the builder of our entire blower unit and jackshaft and they are assembled by Magnusson. I have spoken with both Kenny and Tony the owners of Jotech and they are pretty bad ass from what I get. They are featured in many magazines and really know there shit. They have a nice shop http://www.jotechracing.com/ . I think they even have a in house race team. I am going to them to do my emanage ultimate and high boost pulley tune. I have family in Dallas and it isn’t to far away so I will be doing that soon.

It is very simple to pull the blower. I sent you my cell number. The instructions cover it pretty well but I can talk you through the rest and tell you what you need to get tool wise. You undo the bolt under the blower, loosen the belt, remove the 4 5mm hex bolts on the jack shaft(where your leak is), loosen the c-clamps that hold the intake to the throttle body and the blower to the upper intake manifold, then pull the two sensor plugs and hoses off the throttle body and boda-bam, it will pull right out. You will still need to unbolt the EGR valves two bolts and then remove the extension arm to re-bolt it to the blower unit with the four hex bolts for shipping so the shaft cant flex with the new seal in place. When you pull it out with the four long hex bolts to the jack shaft out you will understand how the shaft could have been flexed and the seal broken upon installation and you must learn how to take it out as an assembly so you will know how to install it properly and understand how not to flex the shaft upon reinstallation. Call me. I can talk you through this my son.

Jim
Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,474 Posts
Originally Posted by jproy
Apparently there is something special about how the seal is formed/installed and cannot be DIY'ed.
If your not concerned about the S/C warranty, anyone can perform the reseal process if they are mechanically inclined and up to the challenge. I performed the reseal and subsequent oil change when my seal started leaking back in August 2007. I also talked to Nate at Comptech and he recommended sending the S/C unit to the manufacturer; however, the car is my daily driver and I could not dick around with sending the unit out for repair. Therefore, I decided to handle it myself. The opportunity cost for doing this myself is now I have no S/C warranty, oh well. I put about 8K miles on it since the repair and there has been zero problems.

Check out the link below for more info.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...charger+reseal
Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
I'm at similar problem but i think that my cam shaft seal is leaking i took it apart but i cant really tell that its not a blower ? Is there any way that i can actually check the oil level ? How different is smell of supercharger oil ?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,474 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetKA
I'm at similar problem but i think that my cam shaft seal is leaking i took it apart but i cant really tell that its not a blower ? Is there any way that i can actually check the oil level ? How different is smell of supercharger oil ?
Street, there is an oil fill hole on the front of the blower snout, where the out put shaft connects. Look at the first picture in post #8 on the thread below, it shows the drain bolt with the 3/16 allen key in it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/comptech-supercharger-oil-change-reseal-489655/

Also, on the thread above, in post #13, Allout posts the following:
Note for Reference:

Spoke with Magnusson and the tech I spoke with told me that our MP62 uses 180ml when fully emptied - 6.09 US fluid ounces. He confirmed that GM Supercharger oil is fine to use.

There is no real efficient way to precisely check if the full 180ml is there because it's a closed system, other than to dump it out and measure and replace with 180ml.

Maybe NVA-AV6 can chime in with a short cut/trick that he may know to check whether there is a sufficent amount within the S/C reservoir.