A/C backing up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C backing up?

Hey all,
I bought a CL-S about 2 months ago and have already had it in for repairs 5 times! Here's my main problem...

Started when I noticed water flowing out of the lower A/C vents (by your feet) onto my foot! I immediately stopped the car and checked the carpets, they were soaked, front and rear. I took it in to Acura, and they said that the car had sucked up leaves, clogged the drain hole, and then continued to back up all of the water into my car (I noticed this on a long trip (8 hours) so there was a LOT of water!). I was in Charlotte at the time and the dealer down there fixed the problem. I took it back to the dealer where I bought the car (Acura of Summerville, NJ). They said, no problem, we'll remove the carpet, replace the "jewt" and shampoo the carpet. I thought this was great. They even offered to fix the brake shutter that I noticed when I bought the car.

I came back 3 days later to pick up my car and they had done absolutely nothing to the carpet (maybe some fabreeze!!!). The service manager (John!) swore that the carpets had been removed and cleaned and were put back in the car, wet!, to let dry (which I found moronic, especially since they put the floor mats back in on top... that'll help it dry!!)! BS! The carpet still smelled like moldy water. So I was lied to there. They were kind enough to replace the front rotors and pads, but the funny part was that it was the REAR rotors and pads that needed to be replaced. Morons! Oh, they also recharged my A/C because they said it was low (I never asked them to). Turns out they overcharged it (over 2 pounds) and now the car's A/C makes a really loud hissing noise when cycling.

Now, I take the car back to Charlotte and they took care of me. Did everything that the NJ dealer was supposed to do (shampooed carpet, replaced front rotors and pads, recharged A/C to correct level).

Then, you know what happened... the A/C backed up AGAIN about a week later. I'm parking this sucker in the garage and it does not get many leaves anywhere near it. The dealer claimed it was my fault this time, and demanded that I pay for it. I refused and they finally agreed to cover it. I can't dodge leaves that I see while I'm driving, etc! Why is this car even sucking up leaves? Is there a missing screen? What should I do.

Oh, and my transmission shifts very hard when driving slowly, my check engine light has been on already (for a loss of signal at knock sensor... was told it was bad gas). My VSA light has already been on (was told no problem, just turned it off. My SRS light has been on (said no problem, just turned it off). DID I GET A LEMON? What should I do? Lemon laws kick in when you go in with the same problem 4 times and I've already been in with about 5 problems, just all been different!

Any advice would be great. Thanks so much guys. I do love my car!

Brad
Old 08-21-2001, 04:09 PM
Banned

That's a new one.

Here's my question for the dealer:

"How the F*** did I get it to suck up crap in the A/C?"

IT sounds like there's another problem that they haven't found yet that is causing the other issues you are having. Wayne or Jens? I can't even remember seeing a topic on this since I've been here (a few months).

Maybe there's a kink in the drain hose? Doesn't that go BELOW the car?
Old 08-21-2001, 04:13 PM
Racer

That definitely doesn't sound right to me. Its summer, trees aren't even really losing any leaves! Where are these leaves coming from? Esp. if you keep the car garaged. Sounds like they are blaming the problem on the leaves because they don't really know what is causing it.

I used to have a 97 accord that I took it in for AC trouble a bunch of times. First time I was getting this clicking sound whenever the fans were running. The dealer said it was leaves but removed them for me for free. A week later I notice the clicking sound has returned, but I didn't feel like going back to the dealer because the AC is still working, its just noisy. A month or so later my AC stops working all together. Turns out the blower motor went bad which was also the cause of the clicking. Everything was working for over a year, then one day the clicking sound returns. I took my car into the dealer along with like three service print outs from all of the previous trips to the dealer when I had AC trouble in the past. They call me back to the dealer... guess what I had leaves that were making the noise and this time they charge me like $50 or something for the removal because my car was out of its warrantee period. As I drove away from the dealer guess what... clicking noise returned. I never went back, and shortly after that traded in the car for my CL-S

Anyhow, don't take their BS... make them fix it. If you are in Jersey why not take the car to Park Ave Acura? They have a great reputation for getting things done right the first time and great customer service.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:20 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ACURA CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2001, 05:56 PM
hater

You know what's REALLY funny? I was bitching and whining all last week about my car (which DIED in traffic this morning) and my real name is Brad, too.

Coincidence? I think not...
Old 08-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bsmiller:
<STRONG>Hey all,
I bought a CL-S about 2 months ago and have already had it in for repairs 5 times! Here's my main problem...

Started when I noticed water flowing out of the lower A/C vents (by your feet) onto my foot! I immediately stopped the car and checked the carpets, they were soaked, front and rear. I took it in to Acura, and they said that the car had sucked up leaves, clogged the drain hole, and then continued to back up all of the water into my car (I noticed this on a long trip (8 hours) so there was a LOT of water!). I was in Charlotte at the time and the dealer down there fixed the problem. I took it back to the dealer where I bought the car (Acura of Summerville, NJ). They said, no problem, we'll remove the carpet, replace the "jewt" and shampoo the carpet. I thought this was great. They even offered to fix the brake shutter that I noticed when I bought the car.

I came back 3 days later to pick up my car and they had done absolutely nothing to the carpet (maybe some fabreeze!!!). The service manager (John!) swore that the carpets had been removed and cleaned and were put back in the car, wet!, to let dry (which I found moronic, especially since they put the floor mats back in on top... that'll help it dry!!)! BS! The carpet still smelled like moldy water. So I was lied to there. They were kind enough to replace the front rotors and pads, but the funny part was that it was the REAR rotors and pads that needed to be replaced. Morons! Oh, they also recharged my A/C because they said it was low (I never asked them to). Turns out they overcharged it (over 2 pounds) and now the car's A/C makes a really loud hissing noise when cycling.

Now, I take the car back to Charlotte and they took care of me. Did everything that the NJ dealer was supposed to do (shampooed carpet, replaced front rotors and pads, recharged A/C to correct level).

Then, you know what happened... the A/C backed up AGAIN about a week later. I'm parking this sucker in the garage and it does not get many leaves anywhere near it. The dealer claimed it was my fault this time, and demanded that I pay for it. I refused and they finally agreed to cover it. I can't dodge leaves that I see while I'm driving, etc! Why is this car even sucking up leaves? Is there a missing screen? What should I do.
Brad</STRONG>

The drains in my old Legend got backed up and the sunroof leaked like Niagra Falls. But the car was 13 years old, and your problem is with AC condensation.
Are you parking under a sappy tree or something? Ask them to check the hoses and make sure they aren't too long and they aren't kinked. In my old Legend one of the hoses actually went upwards for a few inches. Obviously water won't drain uphill-so the hose was not actually clogged, just installed by a yutz.

It was an '87 legend so I can't blame the UAW or American workers on that one!
My tranny shifts a bit hard but no problems yet.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

My 95 Accord had the same problem with the ac. It would dump cold water all over your feet when you would turn sharp. I ended up taking apart part of the ac that was under the passenger side dash, cleaning a drainhole that was clogged my mildew/mold and haven't had any problems since. It was several years ago so I don't remember exactly what I took apart nor do I know if the CL has the same setup. But though that might at least get you in the right direction.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. As of now, the car is fixed, but like you guys are saying, it'll probably just happen again.

The part that upset me was that Acura was blaming me, claiming I was parking under trees (which I replied with, "I just bought a $30+K car and I can't park under a damn tree?). The point is, that I'm not anyway!

I think I may try to open up the blower box myself and poke around. All Acura wants to do is clear the drain tube and send me on my way! Gotta love that Acura Total Luxury Care program!!!!

Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Banned

You were in NJ and didn't take it to Park Ave???
Old 08-21-2001, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Just learning about them know. Bridgewater Acura (in Summerville) bit a big one. But they did have the model I wanted, and I was not aware how bad they were!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 PM