Buy it or not? Please offer your thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy it or not? Please offer your thoughts!

First, let me say I've read some of the threads on your this discussion forum and can see their are many car enthusiasts here who take pride in their cars and in sharing their thoughts about their Acuras. I apologize if my topic has been posted before (which is likely), but a few of my questions weren't answered. So here goes!

I'm thinking about buying a 2001 Acura CL Type-S automatic. It has 84,000 miles on it and had a second tranny put in at 65,000 miles. It is a single owner car, and it appears the first owner had it in for all its maintenance checks. I'll be using it as a daily driver to and from work plus carting my three kids around town. I absolutely love the looks of the car inside and out, but I have some concerns.

1. How likely is it that I will have problems with the second transmission Acura installed? I understand Acura installs a rebuilt tranny when the first goes bad.

2. Gas mileage is important to me. Is the EPA suggestion of 29 highway pretty accurate? I do not drive my cars hard. Can I run the car on regular instead of premium?

3. How is the car in snow?

4. I've read some pretty scary stuff on this forum about little things going wrong: interior dash lights not lighting, steering wheel controls not working, excessive squeaks. Understanding no car is perfect or problem free, does the CL have problems beyond what is normal for a Honda/Acura?

5. KNowing what you know now about your CL, would you buy it all over again?

6. I think I can get the car for $8,700. Does that sound like a good deal?

Thank you everyone for any advice and guidance you can offer. It is greatly appreciated.

Michael
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're going to be using it to cart 3 kids around, You may want a TL instead...

1. How likely is it that I will have problems with the second transmission Acura installed? I understand Acura installs a rebuilt tranny when the first goes bad.

- The transmissions are hit & miss. See if you can contact the dealer that installed the second transmission for more detailed info on it. Also, ask if they installed the jet kit.

2. Gas mileage is important to me. Is the EPA suggestion of 29 highway pretty accurate? I do not drive my cars hard. Can I run the car on regular instead of premium?

- I average about 26mpg (half city half hwy). Sure, you can run the car on regular instead of premium but you lose power and you'll notice a decrease in mileage... so is it really worth it? When u think about it, at a 30 cent per gallon increase in price, you'll only be paying like 4 bucks more when you fill up from empty compared to regular.

- No snow in Texas. AWD > FWD > RWD

4. I've read some pretty scary stuff on this forum about little things going wrong: interior dash lights not lighting, steering wheel controls not working, excessive squeaks. Understanding no car is perfect or problem free, does the CL have problems beyond what is normal for a Honda/Acura?

- Yea, every car has issues. Things to check in particular: Transmission and motor mounts. Other things: Rear view mirror, fuel relay (if it gets hot where you are), Driver's seatbelt buckle (free lifetime replacement).

- Yes, without a doubt.

- I'd try to get 'em down to 7500-8000. You'll be replacing your timing belt/water pump etc after 100K, and expect to spend around 700-800 on that (more if you take it to Acura). Use that as a bargaining point.

Now everyone here is likely gonna say "get a 6spd, don't get an auto." yes, I too wish I had gotten a 6spd, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret buying an auto.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
8th Gear

- The transmissions are hit & miss. See if you can contact the dealer that installed the second transmission for more detailed info on it. Also, ask if they installed the jet kit.

Good advice. I'll call the dealership tomorrow.

- I'd try to get 'em down to 7500-8000. You'll be replacing your timing belt/water pump etc after 100K, and expect to spend around 700-800 on that (more if you take it to Acura). Use that as a bargaining point.

So the 2001 CL still has a timing belt and not a chain?

Thanks, disgruntlednut!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree with disgruntlednut is your driving 3 kids around the TL will suit you much better than the CL. I have owned 2 CL's an 01 and 03 auto and I guess I'm lucky I never had any problems with the transmissions (knock on wood). In my experience most models of cars have problems but I also think it depends on several factors like what climate you live in and if the car is garaged etc. because some of the problems you mentioned above I haven't had them in either CL.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Well..I have had my transmission replaced and it seems like it starting to have problems but more along the lines of mounts this time. I run the card hard regularly and it does well and shifts very well still will the occasional stumbling into 2nd. I get fairly good gas mileage when i drive it conservatively.
I run medium grade gas, but I am at over 5,000 feet of elevation. Sea level you WILL need to run premium or your car will start knocking and throw a check engine light because of the knock sensor.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
8th Gear

Great advice and comments! Thanks everyone. The TL has the same engine and transmission as the CL, right?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
The TL has the same engine and transmission as the CL, right?

Yes... The 99-03 TL's do have the same motors (CL-P = TL=P J32A1) (CL-TypeS = TL-TypeS J32A2)
03 CL had an option for a 6speed, all others trans are the basically the same.

So the 2001 CL still has a timing belt and not a chain?

Yes honda motors usually use belts. You won't have to change yours till 100K or there abouts. Somone will be specific but I think its 109k.

My opinion on gas is run PREMIUM. In the long run its not worth what you save at the pump. You lose it with "tuned" down performance and mpg.
Our ecu's correct for the lower grade gas and run the car like shit basically.

Overall these are great cars. I love mine. The motors are almost indestructible when taken care of, and not abused. True the auto trannys are a huge problem, but I waited to find a six speed and don't have to worry. This may not be an option for you. But at least the car you are looking at has had a replacement. So basically your chances of it failing have improved but its never a sure thing with the auto's

Anyway other things to look out for are:
Weak stock pads and rotors, known to vibrate, warp and generally suck.

Steering wheel buttons do have problems. Mine is doing it right know btw. But there was a manufacturer TSB to fix it. Its in the newb info thread somewhere gotta do that sometime. Easy fix though

There were some that complained about a noisy sunroof. Think there was a fix for that too.

Heated seats get too HOT and can burn out.

Other little things like relays and sensors, lights etc. fail on all cars, hit or miss. But this car is worth it overall. Quality is there for the price.. esp if you can get the price down into the 7G's. I have seen some recent crash pics posted up on this site and it looks like for sure this car can take a serious hit. Plus its fun and decent on gas. I get upper 20's on the highway no prob and I do 80 at least
So good luck on your purchase, If you do buy do you plan to mod it?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:38 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GRNMCHN03cl
Well..I have had my transmission replaced and it seems like it starting to have problems but more along the lines of mounts this time. I run the card hard regularly and it does well and shifts very well still will the occasional stumbling into 2nd. I get fairly good gas mileage when i drive it conservatively.
I run medium grade gas, but I am at over 5,000 feet of elevation. Sea level you WILL need to run premium or your car will start knocking and throw a check engine light because of the knock sensor.
don't bother with medium, esp on your CL-P. there's no '89' grade, it's simply a mix at the pump of the 91 and 87 grade to effectively get to an 89 octane. you're at such a high elevation that 87 will run fine.

Originally Posted by pepper1930
Great advice and comments! Thanks everyone. The TL has the same engine and transmission as the CL, right?
yes. everything is pretty much the same except that it's a 5 seater 4 door vehicle.

PS. the cars are fine in the winter as long as you budget for new winter tires!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car does fine in snow tho I have a manual which I think is better but the autos have traction control. Hit and miss with the transmissions I think. I have loved my car and if you buy a CL you'll love it too!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 PM
8th Gear

Wow! Fantastic and constructive comments. Thank you all for helping me with this decision. Please don't throw tomatoes at me, but I think I'm going to focus my search on finding an Accord. The whole tranny thing just scares me. I have terrible luck when it comes to cars working and running well for me, which I can't understand because I'm a fifty year old guy who never drives his cars hard. I know the Accord doesn't have the performance or the good looks of either the TL or CL, but I can use regular gas and my MPGs will be a bit better if I find a four cylinder. Strangely, it seems an equal Accord will cost me more than a TL or CL.

I do envy all of you with Acura CLs. It is a beautiful car: understated, sophisticated, sexy, classy, but still sporty and edgy. Best of luck to all of you with your Acuras. I wish you many, many miles of enjoyable rides in your cars.

Thanks again!

Michael
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow! Fantastic and constructive comments. Thank you all for helping me with this decision. Please don't throw tomatoes at me, but I think I'm going to focus my search on finding an Accord. The whole tranny thing just scares me. I have terrible luck when it comes to cars working and running well for me, which I can't understand because I'm a fifty year old guy who never drives his cars hard. I know the Accord doesn't have the performance or the good looks of either the TL or CL, but I can use regular gas and my MPGs will be a bit better if I find a four cylinder. Strangely, it seems an equal Accord will cost me more than a TL or CL.

I do envy all of you with Acura CLs. It is a beautiful car: understated, sophisticated, sexy, classy, but still sporty and edgy. Best of luck to all of you with your Acuras. I wish you many, many miles of enjoyable rides in your cars.

Thanks again!

Michael
honestly if you're worried about that, look outside of honda for that time period. there are many other cars to choose from that don't have a giant issue associated with them.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rp_guy
honestly if you're worried about that, look outside of honda for that time period. there are many other cars to choose from that don't have a giant issue associated with them.
rp_guy

You bring up a good point. I have considered other vehicles including:

2003-2005 Honda Accord (sedan and coupe)
2000-2002 Toyota Camry
1999-2003 Toyota Solara
2004-2006 Mazda 3 (I know, a much smaller, compact car)
2001-2003 Acura TL and CL

Here's what's important to me.
decent mpg (around 30 on the highway using regular gas)
needs to be somewhat cool looking (I'm a bit vain, I know)
no more than $12,000.00
less than 100,000 miles
prefer it seats five
RELIABLE!
I'd like to stay with a Japanese company (heard Nissan isn't as reliable as Honda, Toyota, and Mazda)

Any other suggestions for cars to look at?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
do not buy any mazda toyota and honda is a for family guy if you want something more take acura
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by StreetKA
do not buy any mazda toyota and honda is a for family guy if you want something more take acura
Why no Mazda?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Mazda makes a fine car don't listen to him. You should read Consumer Reports and maybe Car & Driver. Pretty much all Japanese econoboxes Toyota/Honda/Mazda will be fine. I personally think Toyota sucks but except for the Camry which has had 20 recalls so far they build decent cars.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
*6MT*

How about an 02-03 Maxima?

They are great machines, that 3.5L flies, and I think their reliability almost to the honda/toyota level.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don't buy the cl, or any old honda with an auto, maximas are nice esp those in your price range.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Intermediate

I've owned 2 mazdas and I'll never buy another one. Lots of problems - in spite of what consumer reports says. The foam in the front seat of my last mazda started disintegrating after 2 years. In it's first year it spent almost a month at the dealer because it was using a quart of oil every 500 miles. It's too bad. I think they have really nice styling but the quality isn't there. Probably because of their relationship with Ford.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Ro'sCL

My tranny was replaced at 55k and it was replaced with a BRAND NEW one, not a rebuilt one. From MY understanding they do not throw in old trannys when they do the swap, but who knows. Mine one again was a BRAND NEW tranny, not rebuilt.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
8th Gear

http://www.smartmotors.com/ou/smartm...ge=p_inventory

That's the link for the Acura CLS I'm considering buying. I keep going back and forth. One day I think I go down and buy it. But then the next day I convince myself not to. So you folks tell me what to do. Would you buy this car?

The facts:

mileage 82,100
one owner
clean carfax
tranny replaced at 75K
according to the dealership where it was purchased, regular maintenance was done
no scratches or dents (beyond normal wear)
interior clean
test drive was fine but there was a rattle between the two back seats
tires in good shape
brakes/drums replaced at 75K
Asking price 10,000
The lowest I can get them is $8,700.00
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

First, let me say I've read some of the threads on your this discussion forum and can see their are many car enthusiasts here who take pride in their cars and in sharing their thoughts about their Acuras. I apologize if my topic has been posted before (which is likely), but a few of my questions weren't answered. So here goes!

I'm thinking about buying a 2001 Acura CL Type-S automatic. It has 84,000 miles on it and had a second tranny put in at 65,000 miles. It is a single owner car, and it appears the first owner had it in for all its maintenance checks. I'll be using it as a daily driver to and from work plus carting my three kids around town. I absolutely love the looks of the car inside and out, but I have some concerns.

Thank you everyone for any advice and guidance you can offer. It is greatly appreciated.

Michael
1.) Luck of the draw......ive seen people replace it three times and some have the original tranny (me)

2.) I dont really drive on the highway but the city milage isnt bad. That being said, if you use regular and not premium its going to eat it up like crazy.

3.) Never driven it in the snow but it has stability control and is FWD.

4.) I dont have a single problem with my car interior/exterior wise (or mechanical for that matter). It depends on how well it was taken care of by the previous owner.

5.) I would definatley buy it again but i would go for the 6MT....more fun!

6.) Price sounds good but it the end it depends on the condition of the car.

As for your kids, maybe a TL would be better but a CL would be more fun. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The whole tranny thing just scares me. I have terrible luck when it comes to cars working and running well for me, which I can't understand because I'm a fifty year old guy who never drives his cars hard. I know the Accord doesn't have the performance or the good looks of either the TL or CL, but I can use regular gas and my MPGs will be a bit better if I find a four cylinder.

Michael
if this is all the case i really think you should go another route, and with the three kids i dont think the coupe would be great
Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$10k is too much for a 01 CL auto. the mileage is decent but still. you'll spend more time worrying about your tranny failing than enjoying the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 AM
...advance...

after everything you mentioned i think you would
be better off with the mazda.....my wife has a 04 mazda3s, 30k miles
and no problems at all. Great on gas, looks good inside, and believe
it or not it has more interior room than my tl, a lot more headroom (just check specs).
i love the acuras, but i dont think its the car you need now