Broken 6 speed. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken 6 speed. (long)

Hi all,

Has anyone else had a problem with there clutch/tranny??

Ever since I got my 2003 speed new a year ago, the clutch felt weird. I have had it back to the dealer (PUTZ) about 10 times since. They adjusted the cable when I couldn't put it into first at about 1000 kilometers. That seemed to help some but the car was still a bitch to start off in without the clutch shuddering.

They gave me all the bs about "It will get better when it breaks in at 30,000K" and " that shudder is normal, thats how they all are" and my favorite "Thats normal rotational noises" even though it was louder than the radio.

Well last Thursday I couldn't get the car into 1st or reverse. I limped it into the dealers service bay and asked them to fix it and could I get a loaner. They told me to take it home and bring it back on Monday as I didn't book it in!!

After I asked him to get some guys to help push it out of the bay so I could get to GM, he actually got in the car and tried to shift it. He then tells me " You have issues"!! I felt like smacking him!! He gave me a Tarus to drive while they fix my cls.

When I went in today to see what was wrong, they told me that I must be rideing the cluth because the fork, pressure plate and release bearing are all burnt. They would however change those parts under warrenty.

I have been driveing a standard for the last 37 years, I don't ride the clutch. I asked to see the parts because something else must be wrong. When I looked at the pressure plate, the fingers were burnt on one side only, I looked at the trany where the bearing sits and the housing is not square to the input shaft, the bearing and presure plate were being sideloaded when you step on the clutch. They said they would think about if that would affect the clutch.

A few hours later they phoned and told me that they would get a new case for the tranny and put all the gears etc into the new case.

My car has 30,000 kilometes, it took a year for them to get serious about looking at my problem the first time. I have no faith in their ablility to diagonse anything let alone fix. Should I be asking for a new tranny?? Or do you think they can get all the stuff into a new case and make it work??

d
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 PM
That's Racist

Ask for a new transmission. That's a jacked up situation you got there.

What dealer is that? It sounds like your biggest problem is with the dealership.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:23 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd feel very insulted if I was you.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

The dealer is Saskatoon Acura center in Saskatoon. I think he is pissed because I purchased the car in Calgary. I save $1500.00 by flying for an hour and driveing for 6hrs.. I gave Saskatoon every chance to sell me the car, I even showed them the price I could get in Calgary, they told me they wouldn't match that price.. the kicker is that the car I was dealing on was the same vin at the each dealer, so exactly the same car. I think thats it for Acura, time to find something else.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be the first person in their customer service/tech building tomorrow morning bitching about how for the past year I have been experiencing problems with the tranny/clutch and blowing cash on things that didnt need it + being TOLD that it was something completely different than what it really was. After this, I would most definitely find another Acura dealer to service that pup.

-Alex
Old 06-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

yeah, I wish there was another Acura dealer in town...the next nearest is about 3 hours away. thats why they feel they can screw people over. I even went to honda and asked them to fix it. they declined. I guess that is why alot of acuras in town have tags from other dealers
Old 06-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Nothing wrong with Acura, you have dealer problems. If everything is documented from day 1, you might be able to lemon law it. There should be a book in the owners manual case that states how to do it.

Now for your problem. It's not the first one. Seems a handfull of 6 speeds have had this same problem.

First step call Acura's 800 # see what they can do if anything.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Definately sounds like there was a problem form day 1. It sounds like it may have been used and abused as a test drive car/"let's learn to drive a standard" by other people at the dealership.

I'd suggest taking the 3hr drive to the next dealership and have them check out the same problem once it is "fixed". They may be willing to work with you on this if you explain the entire story from beginning to end, or I would expect this from a dealer.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

I'm a computer tech, my mantra;

I didn't make the parts, I didn't build it, I only sold it to you. But be damned sure if it breaks, I will bust my butt to make it right and make you happy.

Same should be with Acura. The dealer didn't build or design it, however they should repair it when it breaks. If they didn't treat me like an atustic 5 year old that can't spell car, I could possibly be ok with the problem, if they can fix it.

In this case, I have no faith in their ability to fix a wheelbarrow with a flat tire. I think it is time to move on.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

I talked to Acura today, they informed me that they would not put a new transmission in the car until the deal had a chance to fix the old one..If it failed againg they would "consider other options".

If I wish they will tow the car to another dealer, however I am on the hook for return tow or transportation to go get it when it is done.

Now it seems that the car won't be repaired untill next week sometimes..aughh, what a mess.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
noodles tastes good.

Grab a lawyer, lay down your terms and have the lawyer write a nice letter to your dealership. That will get their attention - that is just bullshit.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

i have the same bullshit w/ mine. mine broke at ~ 2000 miles. i took it in and the dealer gave me the same bullshit about luxury cars not being designed to perform as well the cheapest sub-econo shit on the market. i've been suffering for a year with my piece of shit. i've retained a laywer for this and other criminal acts on the part of acura and it's dealer network.

you're basically screwed. your problems are a result of shitty engineering and even shittier dealer service. find an attorney. it's your best bet.

you'll still end up screwed. your attorney may make a little money but you'll end up on the short end no matter what.

acura's business plan is soley based on felony fraud. you're just as butt-fucked as the rest of us.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
NEVER buy a Honda or Acura on the first production run of a "New" or "rare" model....you take a huge risk. I learned the hard way. Slowhand couldn't have said it better. I still think be persistant with Acura Corporation is your best chance. It may take a few calls to get this to the right level and yes NO ONE should have to go threw this crap !

Examples:

I bought the following new production models where "both" transmissions failed ironically around the same mileage timeframe of 74 to 78 thousand granny miles (granny miles: in other words serviced the cars by the book by Honda/Acura dealerships ONLY, the same ones for that matter) !
They were:
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6-EX
2001 Acura CL Type S Navi (187th off the production line....)

Currently own a
2004 Acura RL (the last of the best kept secret) 8 year production run mule
2005 Acura MDX in its 5th year of production..

I hope these don't fail !

I question their ability to build auto trannies, with hopes they have a manual down packed.....but I don't know about this....When I test drove a 2003 CL 6 speed, it was very ackward to me.....and yes I driven manual since I was 13 years old. My first was a 1949 Chevy PU truck 3 speed on the colum......I been around the block a few times.....
Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

NEVER buy a Honda or Acura on the first production run of a "New" or "rare" model....you take a huge risk.
I wouldn't throw just Honda & Acura into this statement. It holds true for ANY brand. I happen to agree with it. I'd never get a first year run car.

However I know many people that have & they don't have a single probelm. Yet others that buy 5 year run models do.

Getting a good car is pure luck.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, I agree

Getting a good car is luck. However that is what warrenty is for.. dealers should not be allowed to abuse Acura's clients. It makes it realy hard to trust them to do anything they promise.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

going from bad to worse!! Got my car back today, the interior stinks like grease, the carpet has oil stains, the interior wasn't cleaned.

However, I got in drove it home about 4 miles, and parked it in the garage. When I got into it about 1 hour later to go somewhere, I couldn't get it into reverse again...rrrr

It seemed strange that it was backed into the stall when I picked it up..just didn't twig that anyone would claim to have fixed something that was so obliviously screwed up yet, and then try to hide it like that.

Back to the dealer for the 12th time for the same problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Do they have lemon laws in Canada?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Cruisin'

not really, there is no definition of "lemon" you can get a lawyer and sue, however it is up to the discrssion of a judge. its a crapshoot as to what he thinks. most of the time he makes the dealership "fix " it again.

Drove a rx8 today. I loved the suspension, really didn't like the rotory.

Oh well something will come up
Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

I'd call Acura. Deal with them, not the dealer. Let them work with the dealer.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

Well on with the saga,

It looks like the syncros for reverse are shot. The dealer tells me there are no parts avaliable in North America! They have ordered them from Japan and expect about a 1 - 2 week delivery date. Then they have to remove the tranny again.

The last time they removed it, it took them 3 days and a bunch of phone calls to acura to figure out how to put it in the car again. I expect that I will be without the car for about 3 weeks.

I have phoned acura 1-800 and talked to a service rep three days ago...she told me she will check into it. I haven't heard from her yet.

I have put a deposit on the new Eclipse. Better warrenty, better specs, and best of all, a great dealer. ( one of my clients )

Anyone want a 2003 6 speed with 32,000 K...It will be for sale as soon as I get it back..assuming it works.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Type S-man

Originally Posted by danb
Well on with the saga,

It looks like the syncros for reverse are shot. The dealer tells me there are no parts avaliable in North America! They have ordered them from Japan and expect about a 1 - 2 week delivery date. Then they have to remove the tranny again.

The last time they removed it, it took them 3 days and a bunch of phone calls to acura to figure out how to put it in the car again. I expect that I will be without the car for about 3 weeks.

I have phoned acura 1-800 and talked to a service rep three days ago...she told me she will check into it. I haven't heard from her yet.

I have put a deposit on the new Eclipse. Better warrenty, better specs, and best of all, a great dealer. ( one of my clients )

Anyone want a 2003 6 speed with 32,000 K...It will be for sale as soon as I get it back..assuming it works.
don't you get a free loaner car while the dealer has it?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Drifting

im on my 2nd 6 speed transmission.. ive been driving manual hondas for 10 years. but somehow this one keeps buring out? i think ive been dupped too.. let me know what happens and stuff so i can take this to my dealer too.. who sarcastically said they can sell me an auto for my next ride.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

I get a clapped out grand am. I am responsable for insurance $10.00 day and .15C a k after 100 k.

The problem is that I am leaving on holidays tommorow. Now I get to pay for my car and the grand am.

Update, I phoned Acura Canada and talked to a different rep. He allowed unlimited milage and updated the am to a g6. He also suggested that if I am not happy with the repair, I could take the car to the local honda dealer for warrenty.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I got it back... they fixed the hiss, but told me that they did nothing??

The squeek is still there, they told me that they replaced the idler pully because it squeeled every time the ac came on, hey perhaps that was the hiss I heard.

The tranny is still broken.. at least all the gears work now that they changed the syncros for reverse. First and second are silky smoooooth, 5 and 6 are ok, 3 and 4 are stiff, bordering on very stiff.

I am sitting here wondering if it is worth going through all of this again.

Unfortunatly I won't be trading the car. In the 14 months that I have owned it( since new), it has depreciated about $22,000 C. I am stuck with it for a while yet.

Yikes, what a mess this is turning out to be.