A brand new 2004S2k, 8,000rpms, and a whole lot of trouble![VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
If you were selling me a car Jrock, and you told me to keep it under a certain redline or some bullshit YOU WOULD NOT MAKE A SALE! In fact I would probably talk to one of your fellow sales buddies and they would get the sale.
First of all, no customer has ever asked that question because it's not a question the salesman could answer. Second, I would never lie to a customer - and my honest answer if they asked me if the car was kept under a certain rpm would be "I have no idea".
Why would anyone ask their salesperson that? It's not like the sales person follows the car off the factory floor, rides with it on the truck, and sleeps with it at the dealership.
So your comment is irrelevant since it's not even a reality. You just wanted to find something silly to say about my post. I'm sorry but you'll have to try harder.

reading numbers out of a mag or getting a ride with someone who owns the vehicle is not the same as driving it yourself.
I never said you, I, or anyone else should buy a car without test driving it. I test drove about 12 cars before I settled on the CLS back in 2001. And I recently test drove four to help narrow the field for my next car.

I also never said 'only reading reviews and riding in one'. I clearly mentioned a way to test drive a car that is past the break-in period and is perfectly fine to experience the full powerband on:

You want to feel the full performance, go to the forum for a given car and meet up with a member who'd be happy to show you the full performance and maybe even let you drive their car.
I got offers from two people in my area who would be glad to let me drive theirs.
So really you've said a whole lot of nothing. Congratulations.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
First of all, no customer has ever asked that question because it's not a question the salesman could answer. Second, I would never lie to a customer - and my honest answer if they asked me if the car was kept under a certain rpm would be "I have no idea".
Why would anyone ask their salesperson that? It's not like the sales person follows the car off the factory floor, rides with it on the truck, and sleeps with it at the dealership.
So your comment is irrelevant since it's not even a reality. You just wanted to find something silly to say about my post. I'm sorry but you'll have to try harder.

I never said you, I, or anyone else should buy a car without test driving it. I test drove about 12 cars before I settled on the CLS back in 2001. And I recently test drove four to help narrow the field for my next car.

I also never said 'only reading reviews and riding in one'. I clearly mentioned a way to test drive a car that is past the break-in period and is perfectly fine to experience the full powerband on:

i think he said if a salesmen told him to keep it under a certain redline
Old 11-06-2003, 07:10 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was referring to a situation where you were the salesperson and I was a potential customer and we went on a test drive. If you said something to the effect of keep it under 5 K RPM or under 60 MPH You would not get the sale.

Driving someone elses car and reading numbers out of a mag != Driving a close to new vehicle that you may purchase.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:11 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Originally posted by jts1207
i think he said if a salesmen told him to keep it under a certain redline

Old 11-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

be careful AK...Jrock might PM you one of his e-beatings

Old timer

I was referring to a situation where you were the salesperson and I was a potential customer and we went on a test drive. If you said something to the effect of keep it under 5 K RPM or under 60 MPH You would not get the sale.
Oh I understand now. When I was on the sales floor the only request I made of the customer on test drives was to please allow the engine fluids to warm up before getting on it.
Most people are mature enough to not rag on the car on the test drive anyway but if they do decide to hold a few gears to near redline, so be it. We generally keep the designated test drive cars in that duty until they reach 4-5k miles at which time they are removed from demo service. A customer who wants to buy the car knows full well it's a demo and they're a customer much like yourself or a couple other people in this thread who don't mind how the car may have been treated prior to their taking ownership of it.

So really at our dealership there are no such experiences as you are hypothesizing where a salesman politely requests you keep the car under x rpm, you jump out of the car and run over to another salesman and hand him the money and drive away in another car on the lot.

Most of the cars I test drove where I was asked to keep it under a certain rpm were turbo cars such as the WRX and the Evo8 and I complied with the request as I already explained in previous posts. I'm sorry if you're too arrogant to accept a polite request from a salesperson.

Driving someone elses car and reading numbers out of a mag != Driving a close to new vehicle that you may purchase.
You're right - if anything it gives you a better experience to know what the car feels like after it's broken in.
Banned

Re: Re: A brand new 2004S2k, 8,000rpms, and a whole lot of trouble![VIDEO]

Hopefully he also got written up for being a jerk and yelling FUCKING ASSHOLE at someone while on the clock on a "test drive".
that was my favorite part! surpposedly that dude was tailgating them or something like that!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:18 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by zeroday
he didn't abuse that car. now if he was popping the clutch and doing donuts mayube but nah he was just stretching its legs. i'd still buy that car as new, no big deal....some people are so damn anal.
I agree completely. It wasn't really destroying or disrespeting someone's (future) property. He probably shouldn't have been doing it but he wasn't really messing it up or anything. Whenever I put my keys into a dealership's hands I expect that someone will probalby play with it a bit down the street. They couldn't possibly rag my car out as much as I do.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Old timer

be careful AK...Jrock might PM you one of his e-beatings

You're the only one here who apparently can't express themselves well enough online and has to resort to physical threats.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Race Director

You're the only one here who apparently can't express themselves well enough online and has to resort to physical threats.
oh shit...it says i have a new private message
Old 11-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Banned

Re: So you're saying you don't believe people should have respect for others' cars...

Next time you have to bring your car in for service, have fun worrying about what the techs might do with it on the "road test".

Re: people redlining on test drives - only kids and immature people do that on test drives. And there is nothing to stop them whereas techs have their job at stake and thus there is something hanging over their head to hopefully keep them from doing it.

There is NO need to ever redline a brand new car on a test drive. Ever.

99% of us don't REALLY need to feel the full performance of the car because the performance numbers are already listed all over the place and the cars are reviewed in mags and on websites. You want to feel the full performance, go to the forum for a given car and meet up with a member who'd be happy to show you the full performance and maybe even let you drive their car.

I recently test drove the 350Z, 03 s2000, and Evo8 and didn't take them over the requested rpms per salesperson's instructions.

I wanted to know what the Evo felt like going all-out and mentioning that on evolutionm.net I got offers from two people in my area who would be glad to let me drive theirs. I also went to a meet and got to ride in one doing a skyline drive run down in VA.

Point being you're wrong.
I don't think they were "testdriving", more of "joyriding". the guy wanted to know how the car felt in VTEC, since its an all new engine and all. Most enthusiast are actually curious to know how the reworked 2.2 liter feels, vs the 2.0 liter(it has been at the core of countless FLAME THREADS on s2ki.com, which is why I'm surprised the jackoffs ratted they out!). he probably just hooked up with his friend at the dealership, wring it out before the boss got back from lunch break.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:22 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,098 Likes on 2,707 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Chaptorial
Even though he didn't really beat on it the Tech had no right to take the car out.

agreed. i don't think he should lose his job for it though....and he shouldn't have been snitched on for this in the first place. could have been handled better.
JRock, I sold hondas 2 years ago, I had the same damn job you had.

And I agree with everything said in the above quotes. The only thing that tech did wrong was take a car on a joyride without permission.

chill out and drop righteous car salesman act.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Banned

substitute "married" and "wife" for "the day after your daughter turns 18" for you old folk.
jrock, you are the funniest guy on this forum!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by sarlacc23

chill out and drop righteous car salesman act.
I'm not here to sell cars when I'm on this forum so I'm not a car salesman to you, just another CL forum member and former owner, and I'm not even on the sales floor anymore, so get that out of your head.

I've been chill the whole time. Someone else lost their cool and started going somewhere they shouldn't.

And I'm not righteous, but I try. =p
Old 11-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 03TL_PlaTinUM
jrock, you are the funniest guy on this forum!
agreed. unfortunately for him though, most on this forum are laughing at him not with him.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Damn Jrock you really need to calm down.

Cars are made of plastic, rubber and metal, they do not live and breath like individuals do.

When I test drive a car I fully intend to run the car as hard as I wish. I have never, not once, been asked to "Baby" a test drive vehicle. If I am going to pay hard earned money I am damn well going to drive the test vehicle the way it is intended.

I am by no means wrong in my actions because I have hurt no one in the process.

If you think an automobile has the same characteristics as a wife or child then you are dead wrong my friend.

As for me? I break my new cars in with a short stent of hard driving followed by a 400-500 mile stent of varied driving styles. My cars do not burn oil, nor have experienced internal malfunctions and are very strong runners.

Dustin
Old 11-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Old timer

So does that mean I can't bang your daughter?
Old 11-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

jrock, i guess people dont agree with you. But i couldnt agree with you more. If I was to fork over over 30g's for a brand new car, i want to know that it hasnt been driven to the limits untill i decide todo so.
Sure cars are meant to be driven but there are some pople out there that prefer to take delivery on thier car without some punk ass putting it through it's paces. I get a bad taste in my mouth even thinking about buying that car. I hate these guys when they offer for a test drive when they already know they aint gonna buy it. The dealer I went to wouldnt even let me drive the car unless I was serious about buying. When you sell cars you can automatically tell if that gentalman if serious or if just there to take a look at the car. I got my car with 8 miles on it and I feel more satisfied about my purchase than to buy one with 30 miles on it, especailly with a sports car.

you guys just need to realize that not everyone like to buy a car, when a punk ass tech takes out a new car for a test drive so he can show his friend. Come on we are not talking about a honda accord.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:23 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally posted by asloudasitgets

you guys just need to realize that not everyone like to buy a car, when a punk ass tech takes out a new car for a test drive so he can show his friend. Come on we are not talking about a honda accord.

I recommend that you never buy a car off the floor then, only buy them directly off the trucks. Because it'll be hard to find a car, esp. a sports car that was treated as nicely as this guy did, most people would ring it out a lot harder.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:26 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

For a NA car, engine break-in is not much of an issue.

But I'd have concern for wearable items, like the clutch and brakes. You don't want to hammer a new clutch or brakes.

If you want to 'fully test' a car, try to find a demo to drive if possible.

If you work at a dealership, don't get busted joy-riding on the internet.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Old timer

I agree with you bluto.

For reference most Evo and STi dealers won't let anyone test drive the cars at all (although they make exceptions on a case-by-case basis), let alone take them over 4k rpm.

For turbo cars break-in IS more important than an n/a engine.

And when it comes to an Evo or STi, I would be buying one they would have incoming so I'd know it would be coming right off the truck and no one will be test driving it except the tech doing PDI. I can live with that more than I can live with customers test driving a car I am thinking about buying because many customers are like some of you and have no problem beating on the car on the test drive.

But as it happens every car I'm considering right now is limited enough availability that I would get getting one right off the truck so I have no concerns. =]
Old 11-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Jrock... Yeah, exactly you can go ahead and bang both my daughter and my wife because everyone knows that all women and daughters are made of alloy and rubber.

Get a life and open your eyes.

Dustin
Old 11-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Old timer

11 hours later and still no sense of humor.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

that's why i don't want a car unless i see it being driven off the truck...........and take delivery THAT day.....
Old 11-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

I don't know about you...but when ppl test drive cars, they push it to the limit. They are going to pay 30K for 260HP, they want to know what they are getting before they pay for it.

Isn't that the whole point of "test driving" a car...to actually "drive" it and "test" what it can do???

I don't know if most or some dealers that do this...but the dealers I've been to have a demo car...that's the car where everyone takes the test drive in a can beat the crap out of it...and if you want to buy one, you can get one off the lot. And the demo car will de sold with a discount to compensate for the additional milage.

I agree that i would like to be the one to break my car in properly...but honestly...my new 02 TL-S had 8 miles on it when. You have to wonder, 8 miles is a lot for a new car...who had driven this car and how hard? But the fact that you don't know doesn't make a difference. The car could be redlined or not-redline...you wouldn't even know the difference.

You know...this is like buying clothes from the mall. Ppl try stuff on, but it doesn't mean that they're gonna buy it. you don't know if the pant/shirt you are gonna buy is new or tried on by someone else....or if that someone else has good hygene or not. If you like it you're gonna buy it.

SO unless you drive your car off the assembly line in Ohio...you're just gonna have to take a chance that someone redlined the car before you buy it or wonder if some dirty a$$ fungal infested bastard has warn these pants before you're about to try the them on.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Safety Car

what a dumbass!
the tech that is.
I don't think that was a big deal, but I would never let my friend video tape it
BTW, I broke in my brand new R6 on the racetrack Thats how most motorcycle race teams break in new engines.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

bah man i saw i don't think it's that big of a deal. He was very easy with the shifting. Only redlined twice, no hard braking or hard starts, didn't do any donuts, burnouts, no downshifting.....

:ghey: for all the s2ki peeps :thumbsdn:

as far as the break-in period thing goes....welp....w/o word from a honda/acura engineer i think all our thoughts are just guesses. The break-in period thing just could be the manufacturers way of making sure people take it easy on the car....i.e., learn the car well....before they beat on it.