Brake rotors, What are you running.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brake rotors, What are you running.

Well I just got the 01 CLS this last NOV, and need to get new brakes. Everytime they get hot they start to wobble really bad. Drive me nuts. I know in an emergency they are going to let me down. During normal driving they ok, no wobble. But man, gett'em hot and its like the are warped really bad.

Based on past use, I was thinking about the EBC sport rotors, and the Yellow Stuff pads. I used the Red Stuff pads and same rotors on my modded Jetta with great results; however, the pads wore very quickly. The Yellow's are suposed to last longer.

I'm going to keep the rears stock for now.

Before I spend $300.00 bucks I thought I would like to get your input.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
look like you know what you're doing. brakes can get pricey, i'd say spend the 300 and dont worry bout it. the cl is a heavy MF, brakes are essential!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

I'm using powerslot cyro treated in the front with Hawk HPS pads. They seem to do fairly well. My next upgrade is going to be the legend calipers. Dual piston>single piston anyday.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
140,000 miles young

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning on doing the EBC 3GD sport rotors, Legend calipers with EBC pads and stainless lines. The yellowstuff looks promising, the only downside I can see would be a load of dust to deal with but if you wash enough it shouldn't be a huge deal. How long did the redstuff last on the V dub?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
ROTORA Slotted or Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Hawk, ROTORA, or EBC pads.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by underst8
I am planning on doing the EBC 3GD sport rotors, Legend calipers with EBC pads and stainless lines. The yellowstuff looks promising, the only downside I can see would be a load of dust to deal with but if you wash enough it shouldn't be a huge deal. How long did the redstuff last on the V dub?
They made it about 5 to 6 months. That was with very hard use.

Right now I do some hard braking, sometimes from 130 to 45mph. I have access to to closed roads on the weekends, we have a nice 6 mile stretch, and a few 4 mile stretches with several tight corners. Only thing to look out for is the deer, and big a** Jack rabbits!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
ROTORA Slotted or Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Hawk, ROTORA, or EBC pads.
Where is the metal in the Rotora's from. China? UK? Canada? Tiawan? S. America?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
look like you know what you're doing. brakes can get pricey, i'd say spend the 300 and dont worry bout it. the cl is a heavy MF, brakes are essential!

If I had a bit more budgeted for the brakes I'd like to get the DBA rotors. The 4000 series slotted. From all the reading I've done, I've found not one bad thing to say about them. They just happen to be a little more costly.

Check'em out if you not seen them before.

http://www.dba.com.au/2006/default.asp
Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Drifting

i replaced the stock rotors with powerstops. i've been through ebc greenstuff and hawk hps pads. the hps pads are better.

imo, spend the money on good rotors. in the end you'll spend less because they'll last longer and perform better than stock.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
cLs - 6

I just have regular brembo blanks and hawk pads... works great for every day and when i need for emergency!!.. not too much brake dust either!!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
About to go with generic rotors (with 2 year replacement) and Performance Friction pads (lifetime warranty, I had the set on my last car swapped out for new ones 2 times for free).
Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
endless > *
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by underst8

Oh yeah, one more thing about the Red Stuff Pads, They were pretty dam hard on the rotors. I don't think I would use the Red again, especially on my CLS. I really beat the piss out of the VW. I don't the CLS. Besides I scared of jacking up the tranny.

I also just bought som Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Gonna have the system flushed.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 AM
03 3.2 CL Type-S (AT)

I have the EBC sport rotors w/ red stuff pads on my car and I have to say they are great except for the extra noise the rotors make at low speed (the swishing of the air around them) and the red pads do wear quicker but i have had them on my care for more than 6 months.

EBC sport + red stuff or + yellow stuff is a good combo IMHO
Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am buying my CL Sunday and it needs front and rear brakes. I plan on getting Rotora rotors, but not sure which pads to use. I also want to know what the prices for all four rotor and pads will be. I am installing them myself so labor won't cost me anything. I have done brakes on a TL before so I know how to do them on this car.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL-Slick
I am buying my CL Sunday and it needs front and rear brakes. I plan on getting Rotora rotors, but not sure which pads to use. I also want to know what the prices for all four rotor and pads will be. I am installing them myself so labor won't cost me anything. I have done brakes on a TL before so I know how to do them on this car.
I would find out were the Rotoras are made first. Not where Rotora Slots them, but were they are actually cast. If they are not Canadaian, Italian, or European, AU, UK, or S. American (Not to sure about them either, S. America), I would not even bother. Every single rotor I have bought that was cast in an Asian counrty has warped on me in a matter of a few days to maybe 3 months. I'll never buy from thoes countries again. The metal they use is to inconsistant.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Where can I but Rotora rotors?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Keeping the Stealth alive

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
I would find out were the Rotoras are made first. Not where Rotora Slots them, but were they are actually cast. If they are not Canadaian, Italian, or European, AU, UK, or S. American (Not to sure about them either, S. America), I would not even bother. Every single rotor I have bought that was cast in an Asian counrty has warped on me in a matter of a few days to maybe 3 months. I'll never buy from thoes countries again. The metal they use is to inconsistant.
Uhh, many people on this forum run Rotora rotors, including me. I've never heard anybody having trouble with them except people swapping in Legend calipers and warping the rotors.

Stainless steel lines + rotoras has been working great for me.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Keeping the Stealth alive

Originally Posted by CL-Slick
Where can I but Rotora rotors?
Go to the for sale forum or send a PM to Excelerate, an authorized vendor here.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohnBlayz142
Uhh, many people on this forum run Rotora rotors, including me. I've never heard anybody having trouble with them except people swapping in Legend calipers and warping the rotors.

Stainless steel lines + rotoras has been working great for me.
Thats good! I just don't know enough about them to say yeah, or neh. Either way if they are asin made I perrsonally won't even bother with them. Just been burned tomany time with there cheap metal. If they hold up fo ryou guys, thats great! I thinkI'll ask that vendor in a PM where they are from.

Anybody using the Carbotech pads? Look great but cost about a 135.00 for the fronts.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Originally Posted by JohnBlayz142
Go to the for sale forum or send a PM to Excelerate, an authorized vendor here.
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

I was wondering what brake pads I sould use, and if I should just put Rotoras on the front and regular rotors on the back.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

I don't mean to undercut anyone on here. I know there is a rotora vendor on here, and he was great to work with (I bounced ideas off of him, but didn't end up ordering.) I ended up getting Centric rotors (front and back), and had them cross-drilled and slotted. The company I used was Rotorpros.com and talked to Rich. They ordered the rotors blank, zinc dipped them, and then did the drilling/slotting. He also painted the hubs for me. I also got Posi Quiet Scorched Pads (front and back). I got everything shipped for $300. Hope this helps. I guess it's all in what you're looking for. He carries other brands as well.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Yes cheap Chinese rotors can warp prematurely but that isn't the case with ROTORA. There are thousands of Acurazine members running ROTORA rotors without any issue. In the 4 years or so that I have been selling the rotors I have maybe had 4-5 cases of an issue with a rotor and most of those were due to install error. If you have a rotor that isn't machined properly out of the box you will know right away.

Also you might consider rebedding in the pads if you have a shimmy on your other setups as most times the rotor isn't really warped. The pads just need to be bed in again.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Advanced

irotors

I got my slotted/drilled rotors from iRotors-- they used to sell on ebay, but now just on their website irotors.com, they're nice guys-- ended up giving me a 20% discount just because I asked ($200 for all 4 rotors) they've been on for 45k miles now, no problems... on my 2nd set of pads now though (axxis ultimates, LOTS of dust, but great stopping)

check them out.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
RIP Dodge Shadow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would it be odd to put the slotted/drilled up front and just slotted in the rear? also...is it fairly easy to replace OEM rotors to these or should i get a shop to do it? ive done pads before but didnt know if it was a matter of just unbolting the rotors then swappin them out or what??...thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
ridin slow'n'low

its a DIY.
worst part may be drilling out the set screws that hold the rotor and tend to sieze/strip.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
RIP Dodge Shadow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also ive researched that slotted is only intended for track cars? so should i use just a cross drilled rotor for daily driving? that way i get longer pad life...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
ridin slow'n'low

You can DD on anything you want. I like the clean look of slotted only rotors. If you go through pads faster, you'll just find the pads you really like sooner
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Originally Posted by smokendsm
its a DIY.
worst part may be drilling out the set screws that hold the rotor and tend to sieze/strip.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would consider running the Napa Ultra Premium rotors (Part # UP-XXXXX). They run between $60-$75/rotor depending on the particular NAPA store and the discounts that you qualify for.

Why? They come with a lifetime warranty against defects. If the rotors warp before they are worn to minimum thickness, they will replace them at no charge. I called two different NAPA stores in two different cities and they both verified this.

While these rotors probably won't hold up as well as Racingbrake or Rotora rotors under high performance use, they will work great for most daily drivers. As far as I can tell, they are simply reboxed Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors.