Bought used car, Have problems, Need advise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Bought used car, Have problems, Need advise...

Ok so this nice 95 Altima I bought for my mom has some problems. Mainly a bad oil leak. Less the a week, & 200 miles after getting it I took it back to the Nissan dealer to talk about it. Strange I didn't see anything when I looked it over before buying it. It had no leaks I could see. So they look over it, & tell me the Valve cover gasket, Timing chain gasket, Oil presure switch, & the oil filter was leaking. Quoted me some god awfull price of $1100 to fix it. Seems it's $900 just for labor. I have a friend who has an Alldata system & did verify it is about a 9-10 hour job for the work. So I talk to the manager of the deaelrship, & he gives me the line of buying the car as is, no warrantys. That's their policy. Tried to get them to pay for some of it & they refused. So I walk out pissed. I take the car to my local shop I go to. Upon expection we find out the oil filter was leaking cause the wrong oil filter was used! They replaced the oil pressure switch, but the car is still leaking oil from the gaskets.

So what are my options? Can I do anything to get the dealer to fix this? I can understand the as is policy. However it seems fishy to me that car has these leaks now & they didn't seem to be there before I picked it up. I can understand if the car was driven for a while, but we are talking less the a week, & less then 200 miles. The car was supposed to be inspected before selling to make sure it was road worthy right? How car it be sold knowing there was this leak?

I'll take any good advise on this.
Thanks

PS-If anyone wants to know the dealer it was Maroone Nissan of Delray FL.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Flap.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow sorry to hear about this, it sounds like your getting raped and theres not much you ccan do

keep us posted
and good luck
Old 11-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
File a complaint against them w/the BBB. Check if they have any complaints lodged against them.
This may be a reach but contact your local tv station and check if they have one of those 'troublehshooting' reporters on staff.

G'luck!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Well, it's better that it is leaking oil than burning it. Leaks can be fixed. If it was burning oil, now there's a problem I wouldn't want.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:54 AM
TheRAGEInside

HOLY SHIT!!

I can help here...I handle insurance claims for Wal-Mart, specifically the ones where someone takes their car to a Tire & Lube Express and feel their car got messed up there.

Pay attention here :
If that dealership is the place that did the oil change, then THEY DID CAUSE THE DAMAGE if the filter taht was installed there was the incorrect one, and it caused the damage.
Now, here's the tricky part. You have to be able to prove that the dealership, a Nissan dealership, I presume, installed the wrong oil filter on a Nissan, supposedly their specialty. It's not as hard as it sounds, as I'm sure it DOES happen.

Now, here's the REALLY tricky part....by insurance law, if a vehicle is damaged while under ownership of one party, then teh vehicle is turned over to another party, and the 2nd party discovers and reports the damage, neither party is eligible for recovery. I can't explain much further and I'm not 100% sure if that applies in this case. But, in the event that it does, I almost think you would have to prove that they did the oil change AFTER you took possession of the car.

Worst come to worst, do you have a lemon law in your state???
If not, try taking the dealership to small claims court...it'll cost you about 50.00 and, if the dealership is smart, they'll probably take care of you #1, to save face (even though, if it goes to this point, you should ruin their name anyways), and #2, they'll spend more defending the claim than they would fixing it.

Be careful, though, because if they have to do the repair in the end, they may be spiteful. If they have to do the repair, I would suggest you go ahead and pay a little more after to have another shop, a GOOD one, check the car over, to make sure everything is cool and not ghetto-rigged.
Whew...catch all that!?!?!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:56 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Your best bet is to let the oil leak for a while and throw a cig under the car.

Magic: Now you have money to buy another car. Don't do it in front of your house, you don't want that mess.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Titand19

Magic: Now you have money to buy another car. Don't do it in front of your house, you don't want that mess.
HAHAHA.... Not a bad idea.....
Old 11-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Titand19

That would be great!, Too bad my mom doesn't have full coverage

I checked with BBB & they have no complaints on file. Can't use the lemon laws. Those apply to only new cars. I'll do some research Monday to see if there's any return laws on an As is used car.
I contacted the 3 TV news shows that have help programs, they wil get back to me if they decide to do the story. They get flooded with stories & only pick a few a month.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Well I'm screwed. I talked to a lawer, & the FL attorney general's office & FL has no used car lemon law. Since the car did have the AS IS sticker on it. I have no case. I have to suck it up & pay for the repair Sucks! Oh well.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:15 AM
XSESIVE

Sorry Fuzzy - just saw your post - but you are right - no Lemon Law for used cars.

David-