Bought my 6MT yesterday..deal of the century!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
stupid attotneies (spelling?), always being sue happy
Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Rajca
the ballasts are different from the tl and cl.
wasn't totally sure , well at least the tl one was updated
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
Thanks, Fries, for posting the pics in a more easily-viewable format, and thanks to all for the congrats on my purchase and for welcoming me to the forum! I also really appreciate the reco on the paint shop, 08A. I will def give them a call. (if you look closely, you can see white where the paint is chipped on the front bumber and lower body work, and if you look really closely, in the angle photo from the left rear position, you can see a disoloration shaped like an amoeba on the lower-left rear panel behind the driver's side rear wheel. There are also numerous chips in the paint, even one or two on the damn roof, near the sunroof).

I ordered my ballast and TL-S chrome/leather shifter last night. Still have to get plates and call my insurance company to have her officially added to the lineup (automatically covered for 30 days).

For those of you who replaced a ballast, did you seal it in silicone??
Also, recall a small jitter under hard braking the other day...beginings of my need to replace the rotors I'm guessing. Any proven rotor and pad combos I should consider (I see Rotara slotted seems to be popular).

Thanks again guys!
Drove my '97 3.2 TL to work today and am having separation anxiety...

I sealed mine with Silicone for good measure and have had no issues with the replacement.

As far as brakes, keep your eye out in the black market for a BBK. You won't regret the investment.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=Rotora
Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
wilwood is the same thing, but cheaper.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about this slave cylinder mod I was reading about in the TL section? Have people done that and been happy with the results?

btw..Thanks for the brake recos, gents!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ man u got a deal....glad u were an attorney otherwise i doubt anyone else will argue with a guy with cancer.....

you did end up getting a steal and i think its an amazing car....9K is off the hook for it.....

i say get the paint job/brake job/ rims/ after winter.....15K original miles the brakes are still good....the tires are still good....i think you should just get a tranny drain and refill...engine oil change.....and hold off till the end of winter....chicago winters get rough....just my
Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ man u got a deal....glad u were an attorney otherwise i doubt anyone else will argue with a guy with cancer.....

you did end up getting a steal and i think its an amazing car....9K is off the hook for it.....

i say get the paint job/brake job/ rims/ after winter.....15K original miles the brakes are still good....the tires are still good....i think you should just get a tranny drain and refill...engine oil change.....and hold off till the end of winter....chicago winters get rough....just my

If he wasn't too sick to arrange the deal and misrepresent the condition, he wasn't too sick for a round of harcore negotiations. Being an attorney helped with knowing my rights and possible damages I could recover, but I would have taken the same position 10 years ago before I ever considered law school.

Right is right....and wrong is wrong.
If he wasn't wrong, he would not have dropped the price.

Thanks your . I am going to hold off on the paint until after winter. I will probably touch up a few spots here and there with the black touch up paint I found in the glove compartment...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
B A N N E D

If he wasn't too sick to arrange the deal and misrepresent the condition, he wasn't too sick for a round of harcore negotiations. Being an attorney helped with knowing my rights and possible damages I could recover, but I would have taken the same position 10 years ago before I ever considered law school.

Right is right....and wrong is wrong.
If he wasn't wrong, he would not have dropped the price.

Thanks your . I am going to hold off on the paint until after winter. I will probably touch up a few spots here and there with the black touch up paint I found in the glove compartment...
make sure to shake that touch up paint REALLY WELL or go to the dealer and buy some new paint for $10-15
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
make sure to shake that touch up paint REALLY WELL or go to the dealer and buy some new paint for $10-15
rThanks, Fries. I will buy some new TUP. It does look a little thick...and the color has totally separated from the base.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What about this slave cylinder mod I was reading about in the TL section? Have people done that and been happy with the results?

btw..Thanks for the brake recos, gents!

Good low cost mod. I highly recommend. Also replace the shifter bushings with Corsports for a more positive feel through the shifter.

http://heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=725

You may need to contact Marcus at MrHeeltoe to confirm which ones work.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
UNREAL deal man, im jealous..
Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then you behaved properly.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
If u don't wanna spend $ on a BBK.. I had the warping rotor BUG also and DBA front rotors and EBC rears fixed that up beautifuly. including pads, that's all less than a front BBK.

P.S. you are one persistent individual. :-p
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
Good low cost mod. I highly recommend. Also replace the shifter bushings with Corsports for a more positive feel through the shifter.

As much as I like to support out vendors, if you can find something cheaper, then go for it. The bushings from CorSport themselves ( http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=1222 ) are $29 shipped compared to $33 plus shipping from HeelToe.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
As much as I like to support out vendors, if you can find something cheaper, then go for it. The bushings from CorSport themselves ( http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=1222 ) are $29 shipped compared to $33 plus shipping from HeelToe.
if i had a manual :shakehead , i could go pick them up locally
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Allout

Thanks, Allout

Much appreciated, Civicdrivr. Love those rims, btw!!

I think I'll try to do the slave cylinder and ballast this weekend and the bushings next weekend.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rajca
its gonna be a small turn out, happens every year during winter or before winter. summer and spring we have huge turn outs. u can learn alot from the meets
Sorry, Raj-

Won't be able to meet up this time. Work is heavy right now... Perhaps we can pull together an impromptu meeting one of these days before the spring meet.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the beginning of all this you asked about the paint and exterior blemishes and they did not answer. This would tell me that there are some they really don't want to talk about, and doing so could ruin the sale before it even has a chance to get off the ground. You chose to fly there, and they picked you up at the airport. They payed for a tank of gas. Sounds to me like a small amount of professional paint touch up work would get the car to near perfect. Yet all you are worried about is you, your time and recovering for damages that never happened. So congrats sir, you lightened them up by six grand, transfered right to your side of the balance sheet. I hope you sleep well.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
wow nice pickup
Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Man, Jacob is gonna be jealous of your mileage!
I think im going to lynch myself
Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

CHUNKS-CLS ^^^^

how did u get that wicked 1/4 mile time?

did u hold the brakes and gas b4 launch?

lol when I 1st went to the track with 2 mods I forgot to brake stand, and put VSA off and slammed the gas off the line so the tire just spun. I'm too used to clutching it off the line I thought the car would stick a lil more but it really didn't.

got 15.39 LOL

going back next year and getting my 14.4. just curious how you did it.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, sent you a PM
Old 11-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChucksCL-S
In the beginning of all this you asked about the paint and exterior blemishes and they did not answer. This would tell me that there are some they really don't want to talk about, and doing so could ruin the sale before it even has a chance to get off the ground. You chose to fly there, and they picked you up at the airport. They payed for a tank of gas. Sounds to me like a small amount of professional paint touch up work would get the car to near perfect. Yet all you are worried about is you, your time and recovering for damages that never happened. So congrats sir, you lightened them up by six grand, transfered right to your side of the balance sheet. I hope you sleep well.
Ummm....Chucky...yeah. I pretty much was thinking only about me, pal. Glad you can read, but I think you're comprehension leaves much to be desired...despite my attempts to spell it out for people like you.

Read the post again, from start to finish, but slowly this time...

And in the future, if you are unable to congratulate people, that's fine, but don't be a . You're really too old for that.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did read it slowly, and I am not going to change my opinion that a good deal is a good deal for both parties, NOT a fantastic deal by one and a slaughtering of the other. They were taken advantage of by you, and I think you are proud of it. The car you bought enjoys a great reputation on these boards and for a reason. How about you? Now I'll say "Congrats".
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems like a good deal on a nice color combo, and with navi too
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Instructor

My suggestion to re-read the post slowly was not made in an effort to change you mind, but broaden it. If you were as reflective as you try to appear, you would appreciate that a deal is what the two parties agree on, no more, no less. Its not what Chucky thinks it is for either party...

What you fail to grasp is that the seller were dishonest. A fact I learned when I first laid eyes on the car, and one that was further confirmed on the drive home when I discovered that the passenger-side headlight was out and rotors were beginning to warp. Did they not know either of these issues were present...? I doubt it. Did they convey it to me....No.

So again, with incomplete information, you continue to judge (and, moreover, without seeing or experiencing the actual damage to the vehicle).

I am done with you Chucky. I realize that some merely want attention and I will not entertain you further.
Enjoy your car and please try to add value to the site...
Old 11-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Thanks, GreenMonster!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I read the entire story, and I can see your side Chicago, but I dunno I think you may have taken advantage of the situation and your aggression forced them into that kind of sale.

Any car that is 6 years old is not going to be perfect, its going to have rock chips and maybe a ding or two. Now, they should have told you when you asked expressly about these issues, but my question to you is do you plan on getting it repainted?

If the damage was so bad to make them come off the price $5k, then it must have been in terrible shape. So now, are you going to take that extra $$ and get a new paint job, or just throw it back in the bank and know that you got a crazy good deal?

To be honest, I probably would have taken the offer of $11k and been able to have a clear conscious knowing that I got a basically brand new car (with a few outside blemishes) for 1/3d the cost of new.

edit: And if it were me selling the car I would have told you that the final offer is $11k take it or leave it, and that you can get a cab and try to send me the bill for your flight. I seriously doubt you could have ever recouped those costs, and I doubt any judge would side with your assessment, since it was never stated as a "brand new car".

Last edited by Joe5.0; 11-17-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow.. great price..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

yea I read this entire thread too and I gotta say. Ur lawyer skills definitely played a significant roll in the final purchase price.

But I would just like to add, you are one picky and relentless person. I wouldn't of haggled (a guy on his way out) that bad!

So think...... YOUR savings is HIS health care, I hope you feel good. Lawyers have no remorse that's their job take what they can cause the law says they're entitled to it. Just remember it's because of laws that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Most people with sympathy and compassion would accept the deal like Joe5.0 said for 11K and expect to have some things to fix, and they'd be happy with the deal cause they KNOW they could have done worse. Ur a tool if you think a 6 year old car is gonna be PERFECT.

But you think OH i can doo better I can do better, and congrats to you for only thinking of you. When most people would have paid the asking price and been happy knowing both parties got what they deserved/needed.
Did it ever occur to you the seller embillished the condition of the car to get people interested, because he needed the cash?I won't even bother answering that one.

It's ur selfishness that got you the wicked price, I just hope the seller wasn't counting on that extra few $$ for something more important than ur MAYBE ABOUT TO warp rotors, or ur scratch.

Sorry but I just picture buddy in BAD shape and u come up to his room firing away altimatums simply leaving him (a guy with NO time) no real choice in the matter.

FOR INSTANCE:
It's like being in a dessert and ur the only guy with water, and this family (u don't know) has 10$ left and needs to eat and drink or they will die. So you charge them almost all of their 10$ because you know you can, not even thinking nor caring about the fact they still need food.

That's you from the sounds of it.

You see the thing about a good DEAL is only one side wins. the Reciever.

I bet!!!! you haven't even called him back to see if he's ok and to thank him for the opportunity of getting the CAR?? that's the least you could do really
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
Guys, it would be a different story if the buyer went to guy and said "Ill give you $9k for it, take it or leave it".

He didnt. The seller put that amount out there. The buyer took it.

Its just bad bargaining skills on the part of the seller.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats true, and I'm not hating on him entirely. If the seller actually came back and said how about $9k, then its definitely mostly him to blame for the lowball selling price.

BTW forgot to ask this, wht would he have to pay ( even if you could collect) for your nephew's plane ticket. Thats just asinine to me.

Dont get me wrong, the seller ultimately is the one who should have been in more control, I guess they should have stated "normal chips and exterior wear for 6 y/o car", but they didnt. However, the attitude that the thread starter exudes is that "I'm a lawyer and look at the deal I got because I underhandedly threatened legal action".

This is the type of stuff IMHO that makes people distrust and hate lawyers/car salesmen/politicians.

edit: And the headlight being out and warped rotors do suck, but buyer (and obviously seller) beware. Maybe chalk that up to karma.

Last edited by Joe5.0; 11-17-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, first of all congrats, because I have no intention of hating. But I do agree with Chuck, Joe and CL-s. That was a bit fucked up on your part. Not necessarily outright bad, but definitely can't be good for your karma to handle things that way. Anyhow, again congrats, the car looks beautifully taken care of...although obviously not well enough for the buyer
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
how can anyone say he took advantage of the seller. what he did can be chalked up to great negotiation skills. if the buyer really thought he didnt misrepresent the car he would have stuck to his guns more and wouldnt have dropped the price so low. congrates on the car btw. i might you to negotiate for my next car so i can get a crazy good deal like you lol.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

yea tru I must say, your lawyer skills seem to be at ABOVE PAR ..

What did u get on the bar exam? or am I allowed to ask?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM

I think it was a sour deal....

u guys are talking about the seller had bad negotiation skills....but when ur desperate (he might need the money-cash....thats why he said get cash or cashiers check....and it could be coz of his health....the OP said he had cancer....and was bedridden to the point he didnt even come out to sell the car)....

at that point even if am the devil....i wouldve gone easy on the dude....and 11K seemed reasonable.....so when i sit in the car and drive it around....i can enjoy the ride and not "yesss i fucked the cancer dude pretty bad didnt i.....damn 9k for this baby....maybe i shouldve said ohhh this has paint chips and dents and i flew down and i have to go to work tomorrow and you have to pay for all this and got him down to 7K ??"......

not to hate.....but OP you got a steal just coz u were a lawyer and u used ur laywer skills (no am not talking about ur argument or negotiation skills) but ur knowing the law skill, how would i get my travel money outta this dude....helped u out.....

and think for a second....u say the pics were not accurate.....i feel u....but then again he was bedridden and the pic were prolly taken by that lady....and u know how well any girl would take pix of a car.....

i mean this deal just makes me think.....and thats the reason why i wouldve paid him another grand or 2 for that extra piece of mind !!!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by swoosh
I think it was a sour deal....

u guys are talking about the seller had bad negotiation skills....but when ur desperate (he might need the money-cash....thats why he said get cash or cashiers check....and it could be coz of his health....the OP said he had cancer....and was bedridden to the point he didnt even come out to sell the car)....

at that point even if am the devil....i wouldve gone easy on the dude....and 11K seemed reasonable.....so when i sit in the car and drive it around....i can enjoy the ride and not "yesss i fucked the cancer dude pretty bad didnt i.....damn 9k for this baby....maybe i shouldve said ohhh this has paint chips and dents and i flew down and i have to go to work tomorrow and you have to pay for all this and got him down to 7K ??"......

not to hate.....but OP you got a steal just coz u were a lawyer and u used ur laywer skills (no am not talking about ur argument or negotiation skills) but ur knowing the law skill, how would i get my travel money outta this dude....helped u out.....

and think for a second....u say the pics were not accurate.....i feel u....but then again he was bedridden and the pic were prolly taken by that lady....and u know how well any girl would take pix of a car.....

i mean this deal just makes me think.....and thats the reason why i wouldve paid him another grand or 2 for that extra piece of mind !!!
at the end of the day the guy could have still sold that car for the 15k he wanted. theres plenty people out there that would jump at paying that much. its not the OP's fault the guy sold it for a crackhead price.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

i still say call the dude and thank him and see if he's ok and wish buddy well.

Unless you are truly a POS, that'll make you feel good you did that.
couldn't hurt the karma either.

I just hope I don't have my health deteriorate away to the point i'm selling everything I cherish just so I can postpone my passing a little longer. (knock on woooood)

Fuck that sounds bad

But if ur motor takes a dump one day unexpectedly, you and we will know why
Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
i still say call the dude and thank him and see if he's ok and wish buddy well.

Unless you are truly a POS, that'll make you feel good you did that.
couldn't hurt the karma either.

I just hope I don't have my health deteriorate away to the point i'm selling everything I cherish just so I can postpone my passing a little longer. (knock on woooood)

Fuck that sounds bad

But if ur motor takes a dump one day unexpectedly, you and we will know why
seriously...im sorry im just not a karma believer.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM

^^^ aint asking u to call dude i bet he was asking the OP......if u wanna call....u could thow LOL !!!

i think this thread is throwing everyone off the wall.....lets talk about the car !!!!

Quick Reply: Bought my 6MT yesterday..deal of the century!!!