Bogus, Got 2 Tickets Today!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bogus, Got 2 Tickets Today!!!!!!!

I been lurking here since I got my 2003 CLS back in March. I am one of those 17 yearold drivers. A cop was having a bad day I guess and gave me to freaking tickes that are bogus. She pulls me over and says, " This is your parents car, ain't it. You probably haven't paid a dime." The she says i was going 62 and that is BS. The zone was 40 and I was second at the light, a van infront of me and the cop was behind me. She said I hit 62 and how is taht possible unless the van infront of me was going faster, I saw my speedometer and it read 45. The she says I was tailing another car which doesn't exist and gives me another ticket for tail-gating. The she asks me what the speed limit was and I said 45 and told her I was going 45, she walks away. The ticket says 62 in a 45 zone and the zone is 40, does that make the ticket void? I hate this, thats $250 in traffic lawyers down the drain.:angry:
Old 01-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you can get your parents to pay for them..

j/k! hehe :pfawk:
Old 01-05-2003, 05:49 PM
What, me drive fast?

Fight the tickets. It doesn't cost you anything to show up at court exept some time off from work or school. If you really weren't doing anything wrong it is worth the chance that judge will listen to you.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
Fight the tickets. It doesn't cost you anything to show up at court exept some time off from work or school. If you really weren't doing anything wrong it is worth the chance that judge will listen to you.
I agree. EVERY ticket I have ever earned was fought in court. 9/10 times they at least take the points off.

Good luck,

-devnull
Old 01-05-2003, 06:31 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn dog, get a lawyer or fight em your self, what did she say about the tints
Old 01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Man, that does suck.

But if you do go to court to fight it, it's your word versus the cops word. And guess who the court is gonna believe?

Unless you can PROVE you weren't going 62 and/or weren't tailgating... And your word isn't gonna make the judge side with you.

I wouldn't fight it. Pay up, and move on.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Go the court, explain it nicely to the judge and get it off. Tell him about the remarks she made and how she behaved.

Further more, find out that lady's mentrual cycles and whether if she was on her period that day... if she was i'm sure the judge will see that u unfairly got ticketed due to her unhindged, unstable, unsteady and sometimes unpredictable mood swings
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by shaHn78

Further more, find out that lady's mentrual cycles and whether if she was on her period that day... if she was i'm sure the judge will see that u unfairly got ticketed due to her unhindged, unstable, unsteady and sometimes unpredictable mood swings

BEST POST EVER!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend that is a cop...he said to always fight the ticket. There is a chance that the judge could be in a good mood, the cop might not show....Its worth a shot!!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Race Director

I remember in Minnesota they had ticket day. So everyday wasn't a traffic ticket day so cops didn't spend all their time in court. Just the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays...or something like that.
The first time you show up at court, the cop will probably not be there...perhaps the second time.

Anyway, the wrong speed limit cited 40/45 might help you. It shows there is a possibility of error and maybe the cop is a little bit confused. Or it might mean you were 22 over instead of 17 over.

In any case, you can forget the officer's comments. They are not material to whether you were speeding or not. So what if a cop doesn't believe it's your car, is that why you think you were ticketed? And if you bring them up and I was the judge and you told me that and you were 17, I would make you pay the ticket. Young folks get no respect [in the courtroom]. Let your lawyer bring up the comments.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Drifting

my friend always told me that whenever he got a ticket he got the officer's name and badge #. he'd call the PD find out what days he/she is off and switch the court date to the officers day off. i dont know if that works. i sure as hell dont know how u would be able to get someones schedule over the phone. then again my friend was one to BS alot so
Old 01-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Advanced

darrinb, she didn't say anything about the tints. My radar was on and it never went off so I don't even think her damn speed gun was on. My dad talked to a friend of his and we are getting a lawyer that will charge $110 total for both tickets. I just found out also that a friend of mines dad is a judge, I see him on Tuesday and am going to find out if his dad does traffic charges. But it really pisses me off when she thinks just because a kid can drive that car and she can't, big freakin deal. Also, she was getting out of her neighborhood and stopped at her stop sign halfway into the road and expected everyone to stop for her, I didn't even slow down and I think that might have pissed her off.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by shaHn78
Go the court, explain it nicely to the judge and get it off. Tell him about the remarks she made and how she behaved.

Very good, the PMS defense Might not work with a woman judge though.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

a women cop, enough said
Old 01-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
the fact that she did not know the speed limit in that area can definately be used in court. That shows she is herself is unaware of the speedlimit their. Take picture of the speed sign and take it to court. You can basically say that she is talking out of her ass. It works.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Advanced

My father has recieved many speeding tickets and always let the lawyers handle it, he only once had to go to court with his lawyers, the rest the lawyers took care of. I will let the lawyer know this, but I am hoping I myself don't have to go to court.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Darth Chocolate

Originally posted by 6DUDE9
My father has recieved many speeding tickets and always let the lawyers handle it, he only once had to go to court with his lawyers, the rest the lawyers took care of. I will let the lawyer know this, but I am hoping I myself don't have to go to court.
Yea, my lawyer took care of mine without me as well. I was going to pay the car tax somehow, I figured it was better without the points.

Don't try to argue the 40/45 thing. A friend of mine got pulled over for not stopping at a stop sign, but the cop wrote it down as running a red light. At court, my friend brought pictures of the intersection showing the lack of a stoplight to run, but the judge found him guilty saying that "you've probably run a stoplight at some time in your life." If my friend had just paid a lawyer to show up for him, it would have been cheaper and less of a waste of time.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been there in my day.

I was 18 and driving an AMX Javelin. It had all of 7,000 miles on it. I was at an intersection and saw the cop. I drove off after coming to a dead stop and counting to 3. About 1/2 down the road and driving 30 MPH I got pulled over. The cop was shining a light inside and said is this a hurst shifter ? You left rubber back there you know. Then he said is this your car (I produced a license and registration that had my name on it.) I also said yes and he said I will ask you one more time, is this your car.

Some cops have a hair across their asses. They also do not like seeing young people in nice cars. They first think it is stolen.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Yeah...i hate cops!!

I just got pulled over last night. The cop said I was going 64 in a 50 when im pretty sure I was following traffic and the speed limit was 55. He also busted me for tint on my windows. I don't wanna have to take the tint off...it looks soo nice with it on...hehe. Btw, I all ready have 4 points, I really cant afford anymore, my insurance is sky high as it is...

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Balla on a Budget

When i got my ticket, I went to this site, and it answered a lot of ?'s for me. Hope it helps out,

http://www.helpigotaticket.com
Old 01-06-2003, 12:05 PM
///M POWER

110 is really cheap, p paod 250 for 1 ticket and my lawyer gave me a deal, i dont have to go to court too!!, hes takin care of it for me
Old 01-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Thanks ktgumbo, sorry I couldn't respond faster but my DSL is going out of business so its acting weird. I'm thinking of using these guys. www.ticketclinic.com
Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Dunno how you are gonna get off of it, but when I got clipped, 6 months ago (first ticket in 5 years damnit!!) I was 58 in a 40...cop didn't seem that pissed about the young guy in a nice car (but then I am 21) he even dropped me to 5 over..only cost me 60 bucks, and I am guessing 1 point, how can I find out how many I have?

As far as her not hitting u with her gun, they can claim a matched speed, that is how most tickets are done in heavy traffic like a freeway, the cop will tail, and try to maintain an even distance for 0.5 mi. or more, all while paying close attention to their speedo...it has held up in court too. That, or your detector might have just missed a beat.

I would be funny as hell if you tried that 'on the rag' defense though
Old 01-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Sypher
Yea, my lawyer took care of mine without me as well. I was going to pay the car tax somehow, I figured it was better without the points.

Don't try to argue the 40/45 thing. A friend of mine got pulled over for not stopping at a stop sign, but the cop wrote it down as running a red light. At court, my friend brought pictures of the intersection showing the lack of a stoplight to run, but the judge found him guilty saying that "you've probably run a stoplight at some time in your life." If my friend had just paid a lawyer to show up for him, it would have been cheaper and less of a waste of time.

You never know.............When i went to court to fight a BS ticket for not stoppin completly at a red light when making a right turn, it got thrown out cuz the cop wrote the code down for not stopping completely at a stop sign. The judge said it was not fair to find me guilty for somethin that i didnt do.

Or maybe he was having a good day.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by liquid_x
my friend always told me that whenever he got a ticket he got the officer's name and badge #. he'd call the PD find out what days he/she is off and switch the court date to the officers day off. i dont know if that works. i sure as hell dont know how u would be able to get someones schedule over the phone. then again my friend was one to BS alot so
No, it works..but they cops are subpeoaned to show up in court. Sometimes, they dont want to show up.

Anyway, if the cop does show up. Ask them whens the last time they had their speedometer calibrated. How long did they tail to verifiy the speed. If they were using radar, when was the last time they were certified? When was the last time the radar was Calibrated? If that officer can not show any of that proof, the commissioner is forced to let it slide because the cop cannot back up his statement with the proper credentials
Old 01-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Thanks, because after the light we were both at, she pulled me over at the next one about idk 0.1-.03 miles. But I hate it when these bastards do shit like this, I wouldn't have cared much if I really was speeding and tailgating, but I wasn't. ( The one time I obey the law, I get a 2345678 ticket!!!! )
Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Mom and Dad?

We have ALL overlooked 1 thing...he is only 17 years old. Mom and Dad will be making the decision on what to do here. As a minor he has ZERO rights, he alone cannot fight a ticket. One of his parents will have to be in court with him if he choses to fight it.
So, in light of that maybe just bite the bullett and pay the fine???Or there is always traffic school.:thinking:
Old 01-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Advanced

As far as I know about this lawyer I'm using, I won't have to show up in court because he will take care of it. My friend also got the same two tickets and he used this lawyer, he's a good guy.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Re: Mom and Dad?

Originally posted by 1killercls
We have ALL overlooked 1 thing...he is only 17 years old. Mom and Dad will be making the decision on what to do here. As a minor he has ZERO rights, he alone cannot fight a ticket. One of his parents will have to be in court with him if he choses to fight it.
So, in light of that maybe just bite the bullett and pay the fine???Or there is always traffic school.:thinking:
At 17 you aren't a Juivenille when it comes to traffic tickets... At least not in Texas.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Mom and Dad?

Originally posted by trodery
At 17 you aren't a Juivenille when it comes to traffic tickets... At least not in Texas.

It's juvenile and a 17-yr old cannot even sign his/her name to any legal documents. You must have an adult at TRIAL in the form of a lawyer, parent, or legal guardian.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

I'm 18 now and had 2 tickets when I was 17. I received one ticket for running a stop sign, payed a lawyer and had them take care of it for me. Never showed up in court. I received a speeding ticket in the city of Houston and it said if you were 16 or younger you had to show up in court with your parents. I just mailed in money to them and no worries.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Racer

Did you get her number? I think she likes you.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Advanced

LOL Proactive.

Trodery, as far as I know the lawyer is going to take care of it and I won't have to appear in court.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Advanced

I just talked with my lawyer, he said many teens are geting the same 2 tickets I got and he is only going to charge me $75 total for both tickets.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: Mom and Dad?

Originally posted by kensteele
It's juvenile and a 17-yr old cannot even sign his/her name to any legal documents. You must have an adult at TRIAL in the form of a lawyer, parent, or legal guardian.
I lived in San Antonio until I left at age 17 so I know what you're saying, I was there with the tickets, etc (although this was years and years and years ago).

Of course you can PAY the ticket and you can ANSWER to the ticket on your own or have a lawyer do it for you. But I said if you decide to go to TRIAL which means you intend to fight the charges, question and cross-examine the police officer, open and close your case, etc., it is my contention that minor would not be allowed to go there on his own as I said without an adult. Believe it. A traffic ticket is no longer a minor traffic ticket when you got to TRIAL. As an adult, I've been there on my own to TRIAL without a lawyer. It's no fun.

Dude, just pay off the lawyer and suck it up. We all did when we were kids. Yes, adults do sometimes make it "hard" on you.....
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 PM
go like hell

dang i got lucky
about a month ago I was in a hurry coming in home from my g/f's house(i was running late) so i didn't let my front window defrost i only scraped a tiny patch. well i was swerveing and crap(it was like 1:30 or 2 in the morning) they thought i was DUIing . I was pulled over by 2 cop cars at the same time i thought dang they must think i have some weed or something . he comes up.(and my g/f's brother is friends with the town cop) he's like "one up dog"(honest to god he said that ) i said "what's up man" he said "you know you were swerveing back there" i said "dang my bad man i was over at my girl's house and i didn't let my windows defrost" he said "alright man but i'm gonna let you off with a verbal warning this time." i said "alright you da man"