BMW M5 vs A4 (K04) 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 PM
I've seen this before...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5 vs A4 (K04) 1.8T

First off, it wasn't even close.....he spanked my ass.

Him: M5 with an exhaust (Evotech I think. He had a "evotech" sticker on his window). From as far as I could tell, thats all he had. It might have been more modified but stock M5's ARE BEASTS!

Me: 1998 Audi A4. KKK04 turbo upgrade, Supersprint exhaust, K&N filter, T.A.P. chip, Blitz blow-off valve. Approximately 220 wheel horsepower.

I was pulling up behind him at a red light. He revved his engine a couple of times. I looked around me because I thought it was a Civic or something. Nope. It was him. The exhaust pipes on his car were a little bigger than usual for an otherwise "stock" looking M5. When the light turned green, he did a sick, sick burnout and was gone. My car suffers from a bit of turbo lag in first gear, but when I finally hit boost, I caught up to him rather qucikly then he expected at the next intersection. I could tell he was surprised. I think at first he thought I was an S4 because I have a debadged grill with an LLTek badge, it kinda looks like an S4 badge.

At the next light, the same thing happened but this time he changed lanes and waited for me to pass him. After i had passed him 5-6 car lengths, he caught up, FAST. I was at full boost this time, and second and third gear are my strongest. There was a car in front of me and I had to stop. What would have happened?
I would have lost still for sure but it would have been fun!

Its time to upgrade to a S4 with RS4 turbos and the works. It would have been a different outcome for sure.

He was a pretty cool guy, the M5 driver. He looked to be 55-60 years old. Awesome!

Kevin
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 AM
THE SILVER BULLET

that is sweet man you should gone for, honestly you would lost, but die trying. But atleast you met a man with some balls, all these pussies around here never do ne thing but stare, maybe my car isnt worthy of racing but still they should give it a try
Old 04-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Advanced

I dont think even an s4 could match a M5, you would need the rs6 for that beast.Thats my dream car, RS6.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:36 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jerseyclguy
I dont think even an s4 could match a M5, you would need the rs6 for that beast.Thats my dream car, RS6.
An S4 with RS4 turbos (basically making the car an rs4) is pretty sick and would take an M5 (or should at least).

I'm don't think you're a4 would keep up with an M5 if you are only making 220whp. I know the A4 is lighter but still the M5 is making almost 100whp more.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
sounds fast but its not

i saw an rs6 the other day for the first time in person

all i have to say is......i want one

i should probably be saving for the college loans instead
Old 04-27-2004, 10:32 AM
AKA MaxGeek

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a lot of mods on your A4, about how fast does your car do 0-60 and the 1/4 mile?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
You can get a a4 faster than a m5 without going to an s4. There are a4s in the low 12 seconds you know. My friend had a 98 1.8t quattro and is planning on doing the k04 upgrade very soon. I can't wait till he gets that thing modded and i can race him.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by brian6speed
You can get a a4 faster than a m5 without going to an s4. There are a4s in the low 12 seconds you know. My friend had a 98 1.8t quattro and is planning on doing the k04 upgrade very soon. I can't wait till he gets that thing modded and i can race him.
Who said you couldn't? You can get any car faster. Shit, you can even make a TLS/CLS faster than an M5. There aren't too many A4s in the low 12s but certainly quite a few in the 12s. I thought the fastest A4 was a 12.3 or something.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

bov?

who the hell uses a blow off valve in an A4, especially with a k04 setup?!? I almost call BS on this whole thread just by reading the fact that you have a Blow Off Valve installed in an A4, much less a k04 A4. Here are just a couple things that a BOV can cause:

1) screws up fuel/air mixture
2) wastes energy
3) loss of power
4) causes mis-shifts
5) increases turbo shaft fatigue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
n00bs install BOV for the sound, as it has NO performance value to an A4, it actually has a bunch of negative attributes.

Read->

"It is a bad idea to use a blow-off valve without recirculating back into the system. With a standard blow-off valve venting to atmosphere, the air-flow meter is fooled and thinks that the engine is getting this air. So the computer dumps in the appropriate amount of fuel that it thinks the engine needs to match the measured air. So the engine gets a VERY rich mixture. Next the O2 sensor senses this rich mixture and attempts to adapt. This adaptation can alter the air-fuel learning values in the ECU. These instantaneous rich-mixtures can post-ignite after exiting the turbocharger and cause damage to the
catalytic convertor. Also, the computer normally cuts off fuel during gear changes. With a blow-off valve, the computer thinks the engine is still demanding air and fuel is not cut off. Gas-mileage will decrease. Another disadvantage to blow-off valves is that they often interfere with idle transition.

Avoid blow-off valves. If you are interested in upgrading the stock bypass valve than buy a quality bypass valve and plumb the vent back into the air intake system.

Brett
Audi Performance & Racing "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you vent a blow-off valve to atmosphere,you are 'blowing off' metered air. Just before air exits the airbox it is measured at the mass air flow sensor. This measurement is very important and is one of the main variables that is used by the
engine computer to calculate timing, fuel, etc. When you shift a car with a blow-off valve venting to atmosphere, you lose some of this measured air. Consequently, the ECU thinks that the engine is getting more air than it really is, and the ECU tries to
compensate.

What are the consequences? Well, you won't lose any HP but the car may stumble between shifts. The biggest problems would occur when depressing the clutch and letting the engine speed drop back down to idle- the engine may stumble or even stall.

So our recommendation is to always use a valve that recirculates back into the intake tract.

Brett
APR"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so first things first, go buy a ByPassValve, Bailey makes a nice one. Secondly, you should be hitting about 240HP with the TAP ecu, not 220. 1/4 mile runs on a k04 setup range from the high 13's 13.9 all the way to the low 14's.. 14.2. Just so everyone here knows, the price for a k04 kit is around $1400-1500, talk about HP/$$. I would recommend you get the GIAC 5 bar ECU, as it is the most aggressive k04 ECU out. Also, you commented on turbo lag.. you shouldn't have much if any turbo lag on a k04 setup.. turbo lag is seen on the k03's.

Now, with ALL of this said.. here are the 2003 M5 times:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Automobile Magazine:
5.0 L, V-8, 6 speed Manual

0-60 4.80 sec.
1/4 Mile 13.20 sec.
70-0 Braking163.00 ft.
IssueDec-02
Top Speed 155.00 mph
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Car and Driver Magazine:
5.0 L, V-8, 6 speed Manual

0-60 4.90 sec.
1/4 Mile 13.40 sec.
70 mph Cruising68.00 dBA
70-0 Braking164.00 ft.
Idle 46.00 dBA
IssueMay-03
Skidpad 0.85 g.
Top Speed 161.00 mph
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so yeah.. the M5 should take you every time (assuming its manual). M5 seems a little quicker than stock M3's. But how much does the M5 cost? The A4 is $35,000 brand new, equipped with a k04/exhaust/FMIC, which is capable of hitting the high 13's, dusting most cars on the road.. if you wanna take the M5's, all you need is an APR stage 3 or a PES T-28 kit. Of course, if you guys really wanna get serious we can strap an APR stage 3+ on that A4 with a GT28rs turbo putting down over 330HP!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro

seems like you know your shit...i'll take your word for it

about the blow-off valve being bad....is it just for A4's? i would assume it's for any turbo'd car right? i.e. wrx, evo, gst etc
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Captain of S4 rowing team

There are guys running BOVs on 1.8Ts even 2.7Ts for that matter....is it the best idea....probably not. Acutally a friend of mine had one on his 1.8T GTI and his was one of the fastest mod for mod....he was running mid 13s with just chp, dp, exhaust and a AEM CAI. Now, I know S4s that have them too.....some ran like shit, others ran fine. One way to run a BOV on a Bosch EM car is to disconnect that MAF. Crazy thing about this is some S4 owners have found that their cars have actually run faster at the strip running with the MAF disconnected. One thing I do like about BOVs is the fact that they don't put that compressed, heated air back in the intake. Either way...I was just adding my 2 cents that there are Audis running around with BOVs and not having any ill effects...atleast not in the relative short term.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by robeaneee
about the blow-off valve being bad....is it just for A4's? i would assume it's for any turbo'd car right? i.e. wrx, evo, gst etc
Only on cars that run a air meter......but really it's the bosch engine management. You can run a BOV on a Japanese turbo car without the same issues as us Bosch EM cars...that shit just gets in the way of everything.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by robeaneee
seems like you know your shit...i'll take your word for it

It's bad for our ECU's managment, like 4dr assassin said. Put a BOV on an eclipse turbo and it's a different story, it would work well it that application. The thing I don't understand is why would this guy have a k04 kit, and install a BOV? Typically people that do extensive mods, such as k04.. will do there research and not go with a bov, for the very reasons I listed above, and more. I see he owns a CL.. are you on Audiworld at all?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by 4DR Assassin
There are guys running BOVs on 1.8Ts even 2.7Ts for that matter....is it the best idea....probably not. Acutally a friend of mine had one on his 1.8T GTI and his was one of the fastest mod for mod....he was running mid 13s with just chp, dp, exhaust and a AEM CAI. Now, I know S4s that have them too.....some ran like shit, others ran fine. One way to run a BOV on a Bosch EM car is to disconnect that MAF. Crazy thing about this is some S4 owners have found that their cars have actually run faster at the strip running with the MAF disconnected. One thing I do like about BOVs is the fact that they don't put that compressed, heated air back in the intake. Either way...I was just adding my 2 cents that there are Audis running around with BOVs and not having any ill effects...atleast not in the relative short term.
you don't want to disconnect your MAF on an Audi. The MAF calculates your fuel/air mixture, which is greatly altered with the k04 ecu, thus you would be in serious trouble. Also, when you disable the MAF, your Audi would go into "limp mode", creating a rev limit around 3500, with little boost. If you disconnect the MAF, an error code is in turn sent to the ABS controller, which disables ESP and ABS (not a good thing). Not to mention your CEL (check engine light will stay on annoying you). Is this all worth is to create a rice noise?

-not to mention all of the negatives of running a BOV I listed in the above post, (are there ANY positives on this setup.. no)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 PM

S4 w/ rs6 setup = M5 liek 51353392 car lengths behind ya

Fastest Audi ive ever seen was a street race for big bucks... S4 w/ RS6 turbos, two intercoolers, and nitrous... I was impressed... least to say lol... GOTTA LOVE THAT AWD!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by 99CLstag
you don't want to disconnect your MAF on an Audi. The MAF calculates your fuel/air mixture, which is greatly altered with the k04 ecu, thus you would be in serious trouble. Also, when you disable the MAF, your Audi would go into "limp mode", creating a rev limit around 3500, with little boost. If you disconnect the MAF, an error code is in turn sent to the ABS controller, which disables ESP and ABS (not a good thing). Not to mention your CEL (check engine light will stay on annoying you).
TThe car will go into limp mode with a bad/failing MAF connected when it throws certain DTCs......mine did it when my S4 MAF was throwing the Bank 1 & 2 fuel codes.....but w/ the MAF disconnected, it will run without going into limp mode. Trust me, many have done it...myself included. In fact, it's how we do a quick test to see if our MAFs are running poorly. If you unplug it and the car runs better/faster than with it connected, then usually you have a MAF that's on the way out or is already in the grave. Now, I'm not suggesting people go out and run it this way.......I'm just giving out info.

Also, who told you the car disconnects the ABS/ESP when it's in limp mode? In my years experience w/ Audis, I 've never heard anyone claim that. That would be a safety hazard.......I seriously doubt Audi would do something that irresponsible....they've made some design choices I think are suspect, but that is down right dumb.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:41 AM

Limp mode doesn't necessarly limit rpm to 3500 or so. Also, you can go into limp mode w/o throwing a CEL. Atleast with S4s I know this.....it's happen to me and many others......just another joy of owning a Bosch Engine Management car. :o