Blue bolts on Tranny but no Oil Jet Kit on ATF fill plug..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue bolts on Tranny but no Oil Jet Kit on ATF fill plug..

Hello, I just got a 2001 CL type S with 97K on the clock. According to carfax and Acura Cust. Service, the recall was completed in 2004 by a dealer. However, I don't see what everyone is talking about an Oil Jet Kit. I do see blue bolts around and a few bolts that appears to have been taken out at one point (edges rounded a bit). On the side of the tranny facing the radiator, I see a sticker on top of another that has a label of (PGF-060 C-1 RMK & BGFA-1018655)
Now can anyone confirm if this tranny has been replaced with a newer one? Would I need to get an oil jet kit?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i actually deleted my oil jet kit cause it robs flow from everything else..

the oil jet is there to supposedly get more fluid onto on of the clutch packs however it is essentially robbing fluid from everywhere else. the jet kit is supposed to disipate heat generated but then u just get more heat build up everywhere else. the jet kit came about because sometimes the trans would get so hot it would literally shear apart inside and lock the trans up completely which caused lawsuits cause of how much of a safety concern it was causing... the jet kit solved that catastrophic problem, but did not actually fix anything.

i would not worry about the jet kit... i would however add a trans cooler... many people will disagree with me when is say it will help... i personally have a cooler on my car and have not had any problems since my rebuild. my rebuild without a cooler lasted 26000kms mine currently now has over 100000kms on the rebuild with the cooler.

your trans likely was replaced with another just like it, probably cause the previous one shit the bed. i would change the fluid on the trans every oil change... just a 1x3... or do a 3x3 annually.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Update:

So I contacted Acura Customer service again and pressed on for more info and what they said was in 2006, the tranny was replaced at 45K miles thus missing the oil jet kit. I would assume and hoped it was an updated tranny post 04-05? if it was done in 2006. This makes me feel better. We shall see how it holds up since i'm at 97K now.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

CL-S Progression: Would you suggest an aftermarket ATF like Redline? Or should I stick to Honda fluid?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

I use Honda ATF z1 I think it's called.

They just re formulated the auto oil last year or 2 ago I believe.

Just make sure u change the fluid often. U have a Magnetic drain plug on the trans which gets coated in little metal shavings... The more u clean it off the cleaner the trans. This is why I suggest doing just a 1x3 every oils change instead of a 3x3 annually.

Those metal shavings clog up all sorts of shit and can cause finicky problems by clogging he valve bodies and passageways for he fluid.

If u are anal like I am u can change the external ATF filter on the top of the trans, which I did also.

But the cooler is where it is at. I got a temp gauge and its proven to decrease the trans fluid temp by up to 100 degrees f.... No bullshit
The following users liked this post:
alabonite (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
the redesigned trans does not require the oil jet kit. if your replacement was mid 2005 or later, you should be good. my original trans went out at 71K. replacement has 60K on it and no kit. this was 2008

also the oil jet does nothing for third gear, it only provides lubrication for the secondary shaft...

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 01-08-2014 at 02:42 PM.
alabonite (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Any pics of you cooler setup? How difficult is this and where to tap in the lines?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

My cooler sits behind the small grill in the hood it takes up exactly half of the area and sits right behind the plastic engine cover that covers the front of the engine bay.I fabbed up some brackets to bolt into the framework that's already their. U connect it to the same place the jet kit ties in to the back of the upper trans by the firewall. And the other end connect to the metal black hose that connects to the ATF filter.

I did it a while ago.. It's too cold to snap pix right now... Friday will be the day I can get u some photos. Hopefully lol
alabonite (01-08-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

I seem to hear a low pitch whine/hum when accelerating in 2nd or in 3rd. It's not there in 4th or 5th. Is this a bad sign? Tranny fluid is only 7K old.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
check your wheel bearings, that is what my hum turned out to be
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
i actually deleted my oil jet kit cause it robs flow from everything else..

the oil jet is there to supposedly get more fluid onto on of the clutch packs however it is essentially robbing fluid from everywhere else. the jet kit is supposed to disipate heat generated but then u just get more heat build up everywhere else. the jet kit came about because sometimes the trans would get so hot it would literally shear apart inside and lock the trans up completely which caused lawsuits cause of how much of a safety concern it was causing... the jet kit solved that catastrophic problem, but did not actually fix anything.

i would not worry about the jet kit... i would however add a trans cooler... many people will disagree with me when is say it will help... i personally have a cooler on my car and have not had any problems since my rebuild. my rebuild without a cooler lasted 26000kms mine currently now has over 100000kms on the rebuild with the cooler.

your trans likely was replaced with another just like it, probably cause the previous one shit the bed. i would change the fluid on the trans every oil change... just a 1x3... or do a 3x3 annually.
All the jet kit did was spray the 2nd gear shaft to keep it cool. It wasnt robbing fluid to any vital parts
And i would be the one to disagree with you on the cooler as i had 5 failures, 4 of which had a trans cooler on and one trans even had the fluid changes every oil change.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Well then I guess it's the clutch kit that is holding my trans together.

It has to be taking away fluid pressure if u have the jet kit installed you cannot supply fluid in more places without there being deminished flow. That's why I deleted the jet kit.

I think I am the only one one this site who has the levelten.com kit and even tho most of you said it was not worth it, I think it has been the saving grace. I wish someone else could chime in on their that kit I got.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
Well then I guess it's the clutch kit that is holding my trans together.

It has to be taking away fluid pressure if u have the jet kit installed you cannot supply fluid in more places without there being deminished flow. That's why I deleted the jet kit.

I think I am the only one one this site who has the levelten.com kit and even tho most of you said it was not worth it, I think it has been the saving grace. I wish someone else could chime in on their that kit I got.
But its not taking fluid away from anything. It isnt taking it away from the 3rd gear clutchpacks which are whats suffering from the lack of fluid, nor is it taking away line pressure from the tq converter.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

How can that be possible? The more orfices you need to supply the less pressure/flow you get.

That goes for hydraulics period.

I see where your coming from.. I just have a different philosophy obviously.

You say the 3 rd clutch pack don't get enough fluid, which is what causes overheating and then they deteriorate and fail. So I took off the jet kit. And added the cooler. The cooler cools the entire transmission so it will do better than the jet kit ever could. Plus I have high heat application clut h packs which are not phasesd by the trans temps created by our shittty transmission.

The whole problem with the trans is heat on the shit clutch packs. If u change the clutches to something than can take more heat... And then use to cooler to moderate the intensity of that heat... Then monitor the heat with the trans temp gauge so you don't rip it when it's over180-190 then your trans is fine.

Either way my car finally works and has no trans problems.

If people did what I did, they would not have a glass transmission. I am trying to help ppl out here.its a shame no one else has followed my footsteps.

Am I literally the only one with the levelten.com kit?