Black box

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black box

OK , I searched and found nothing, but here is my concern...

My sister was in an accident where her car accelerated and would not stop...

The car was a Pontiac Montana...Anyway, the investigators looked at the "black box" for her car and it verified her story....They were able to tell that she was going 43 mph at the time of the crash and that she did in fact have the breaks and E-brake on!

So....My question is...Does the CL-S have a black box? I can see my dealer being all sneaky about knowing my driving habits and using them against me...

Anyone know the deal?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Don't think so. When my car was at the dealer for bent valves & warped heads at only 1200 miles, & had an over rev code they couldn't tell when it happend, or what the conditions were just the trouble code. They tried to scare me into thinking they could get the time & date it happend, but they never did.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
every car with air bags can record different parameters when the bag is deployed. speed, brakes, seatbelt, not sure what else
Old 07-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I hate the Mets

Funny thing is...Her airbags never deployed....But that was recorded on the "black box" too
Old 07-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Instructor

I too would like to know if Honda is installing black boxes into their cars.

I know of many Corvette owners who have demanded that they be removed from their vehicles. I know of a traffic accident case where the black-box was used as evidence in convicting a woman driving a 1996 Camaro Z28.

Our cars should not be testifying for or against us when it comes to situations like accidents. For either good or bad situations I am completely against having the devices and would remove it in a heart beat.

Dustin
Old 07-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I completely agree with roadmaster that this collection and use of info about us is really infringing on our personal privacy. The boxes can not determine who was at fault or not or what type of situation they were in. It just records information about us, all types of information. It still needs people to determine what it means. I hope “they” see the situation the same way I do…
Sounds scary to me, considering that information on my driving habits could one day be the monitoring of my travel destinations each day, or which people I associate with and on what frequency? With cameras multiplying in every city and the law stating that area outside the home is public domain, you can be observed without consent. This is not a violation of your rights and to think this "information" or "data" could be anything about you.
Not that I don't agree that the black box can be useful in solving accidents or revealing blame. But the same justification can be used to warrant the collection of other types of information about you. The injustice far out ways the benefits. It is not the blackbox that scares me; it is the precedence that it establishes.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:21 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oooo.. Big Brother! =P

This is just another way for "da Man" to keep us down!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

From my understanding it is only GM who is installing these right now. They are always recording that last 30 seconds or so of data from the vehicles sensors.

Not to worry, our cars have nothing like this and it is not like Honda to be at the forefront of this technology. When/if it is adopted, that is when Honda will begin looking at it, IMO.

There are legal aspects to this as mentioned, possible privacy infringements. Some insurance companies are pushing for it which is why GM has gone ahead and somewhat secretly added this to various models in their line up.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Drifting

What will these people think of next. Imagine, putting something in our cars that would help determine what happened in an accident. I mean that's something right out of thin air! Oh wait, they do something like this on airplanes, and it helps them figure out what went wrong. Maybe that's what they're thinking could happen in car accidents, something that might make cars "safer". Of course all the paranoid drivers around would never let that happen, claiming it infringes on their right to be a jerk. YMMV
Old 07-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm, a couple crossed wires and any black box in my car won't be remembering SHIT.

And i doubt it'll be hard to hack the box into remembering a 30 second idle and then disabling it's ability to remember anything else should it be illegal to drive with one "disabled."
Old 07-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Instructor

I can see no reason why it would be illegal to drive with a black box disabled. I purchased the vehicle and if I the owner decides that an information recording device is wrong or needs to be removed, I the owner should be able to remove the device.

I see no cameras or recording devices in my home and likewise there shouldn't be any in my car either. Until big brother buys my car, makes the insurance/tax payments and fills it up with premium every week they can get the hell out of my car.

I got lucky with my Z28 as it is a 1995 model and running on the old OBD1 computer. I was just curious about my new honda and I am glad to hear no box is installed.

Dustin
Old 07-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Roadmaster
I can see no reason why it would be illegal to drive with a black box disabled. I purchased the vehicle and if I the owner decides that an information recording device is wrong or needs to be removed, I the owner should be able to remove the device.

I see no cameras or recording devices in my home and likewise there shouldn't be any in my car either. Until big brother buys my car, makes the insurance/tax payments and fills it up with premium every week they can get the hell out of my car.

I got lucky with my Z28 as it is a 1995 model and running on the old OBD1 computer. I was just curious about my new honda and I am glad to hear no box is installed.

Dustin
Just because it isn't illegal now, doesn't mean it might be in the future. No gurantees, but it could happen. Kinda like how you have to have/wear a seatbelt these days.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:37 AM
Instructor

yeah its just GM doing it. It started with the Vette, CAmaro, Firebird and the Deville DTS, Now its in most of there shit. I would ripp that crap out as soon as I bought it. From the creators of Daytime Running Lights come....Da Black Box. They should stop wating there time on that crap and start putting out some quaility cars that look like something. THe only cars that are worth a second look are the Vette and the CTS and maybe the XLR which should have a horspepower rating to match that 75K plus. I say that car will go the way of the ALLANTE RIP
Old 07-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Registered Member

The block box is the SRS control box unit assembly. It controls the deployment of the airbags. It also monitors and records various paramters such as speed, accleration, RPM, throttle %, brakes.

Once any of ur airbags are deployed the unit writes in it's memory the last 5 seconds of what happened before the airbags went off. After each airbag deployment, you hav to get a new Unit, since the memory is not eraseble.

The unit is located in the "securest" place in case of an accident; becuae it still has to work in case of an accident. For the TL, it's located way behind the radio shielded by metal braces.

About privacy. The black box is urs, you don't have to release it to the Authorities. The data is mostly for the manufactures sake. Acura doesn't want ppl sueing them saying their airbags came out for no reason, or saying that the airbags didn't come out at all in a major accident. There are curtain conditions that have to be met for the airbags to come out. Even if you get into an accident, it doesn't mean that your airbags will deploy and vice a versa. IT doesn't record ur driving habits. 5 secs doesn't predict habit.

I don't think most court cases will depend on the data from the black box to determine fault. U got the investigators to piece the puzzle together, afterwards, the data "may" confirm their theory.

Just becuase your going 25MPH and hitting the brakes doesn't mean ur at fault. IT just means that u were going 25MPH and hitting the brakes. The other driver could also be driving at 25 MPH and hitting the breaks, it doesn't determine anything. But it will determine if ur lying.

Everycar these days will have a "black box" in it. So unless little brother doesn't want to walk to work, I don't think he should mind 5 secs of speed, accel, throttle %, and braking being monitored

I believe, if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to be afraid of. If I got into an accident, and i know it was my fault. I will admit it, and not play the blame game.

For the NEW GM and FORDs, they use a new device based on the SRS control box unit. It's called the EDR *event data recorder*, well, these things monitors about 60 days worth of data. The company who owns the technoloy is located in Santa Barbra, CA, and they only licenesed it out to GM and Ford so far. Like i said, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan -

"I believe, if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to be afraid of. If I got into an accident, and i know it was my fault. I will admit it, and not play the blame game."

It seems that more and more we as Americans are ever so willing to give up the rights that have been set forth for us. I believe in civil liberties and the right to privacy.

The agrument behind these black boxes revolves around the Fifth Ammendment to the Constitution which, in lamens terms stats that no individual shall be forced to testify against and or self incriminate his or her self. You can argue for or against, but it still comes down to the question of whether or not you would like a device that could possibly be used against you in a court of law that you knew was installed in your vehicle.

I for one am not a fan of this device.

Dustin.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Black box

Originally posted by mc222
OK , I searched and found nothing, but here is my concern...

My sister was in an accident where her car accelerated and would not stop...

The car was a Pontiac Montana...Anyway, the investigators looked at the "black box" for her car and it verified her story....They were able to tell that she was going 43 mph at the time of the crash and that she did in fact have the breaks and E-brake on!

So....My question is...Does the CL-S have a black box? I can see my dealer being all sneaky about knowing my driving habits and using them against me...

Anyone know the deal?
Not to question your veracity but, there is NO car made which that (assuming the brakes are in proper condition) can happen to.
Your brakes can stop your car no matter how much acceleration is involved. If you doubt this, try it. Go out where you have the road to yourself go as fast as you like, then get hard on the brakes and gas at the same time. See what happens.

While the chances of "unintended accelleration" are unlikely, it could happen. But your brakes will always going to stop you.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:48 AM
I hate the Mets

Re: Re: Black box

Originally posted by Starter
Not to question your veracity but, there is NO car made which that (assuming the brakes are in proper condition) can happen to.
Your brakes can stop your car no matter how much acceleration is involved. If you doubt this, try it. Go out where you have the road to yourself go as fast as you like, then get hard on the brakes and gas at the same time. See what happens.

While the chances of "unintended accelleration" are unlikely, it could happen. But your brakes will always going to stop you.
I would never lie about my sister or anyone for that matter -getting into a car accident - I don't need attention and I do not sensationalize stories.

As soon as she has reached settlement and "the dust has cleared" I will scan you the inspector's report ( 2 reports from 2 individual, non-partial inspectors) which confirms that her car did in fact have the brake and e-brake engaged for almost a half mile prior to her impact which was 43 miles per hour.

And I guess I should add - Her car was in for service ( at the dealer) the day before for Inspection and Air Conditioner problems...

The dealer sure "fixed" her problem!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:51 AM
I hate the Mets

Re: Re: Re: Black box

Originally posted by Starter
Your brakes can stop your car no matter how much acceleration is involved.
And to answer that - I'm sorry - You are incorrect.

The car did not stop ( The front tires are completely gone though....The rubber completely burned off of the rim - also because the car tires kept spinning once the car impacted)

Ill send you some pictures when I get a hold of them.