Black-Box??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black-Box??

Does anyone know if acura is putting black-boxes on their new cars??

Just watched MSNBC, and GM is installing them on some of their new cars.

Just like airplanes, after an accident police or insurance agents can download the info to determine how fast the car was going.

I believe they can also download the average speeds of driver and driving habits. (bad!!)
Old 02-25-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro

Damn it better not. they haven't started yet have they? there wouldn't be one in our 2k1 cl-s? oh well just make sure your speedo is off somehow and you'll be fine.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~
Old 02-26-2001, 01:30 AM
Learn to swim.

I don't like that idea at all. Nooooo. I'm pretty certain that any such system could only be possible with the owner/drivers consent. Definatley with their knowledge, the only way it could be mandatory is if somehow financing companies bagan to reqire it as some sort of way to protect their investments, but I don't know, reminds me of those systems they have been talking about for years where cops would be able to shut down your car if you tried to run--another idea I REALLY don't like. I guess our best bet is too write our congressman if it looks like it could happen....

VOTE is more than half of REVOLT.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:33 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our computers in Acuras currently have the ability to store 5 seconds of information before a fault was stored and five seconds after it was stored.This gives the technician a picture of what the car was doing and can be useful in diagnosing intermittent faults etc.It can also be transmitted after downloading into the diagnostic gear to engineers at the tech center who can look at all the information and see if the car's fault may lie elsewhere.Rather than having a computer spit out a code for a single failed component we can now look at the entire car in an electronic sense and verify if the failure was real or caused by another component the computer has not determined to be bad.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 02-26-2001, 01:44 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
I don't like that idea at all. Nooooo. I'm pretty certain that any such system could only be possible with the owner/drivers consent. Definatley with their knowledge, the only way it could be mandatory is if somehow financing companies bagan to reqire it as some sort of way to protect their investments, but I don't know, reminds me of those systems they have been talking about for years where cops would be able to shut down your car if you tried to run--another idea I REALLY don't like. I guess our best bet is too write our congressman if it looks like it could happen....

VOTE is more than half of REVOLT.
</font>
Apparently you didn't see the MSNBC program.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-26-2001, 02:32 AM
Learn to swim.

Mainly I don't believe everything I see on television.