Bike vs.Car what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike vs.Car what do you guys think?

Ok, I am thinking rather than keep modding my car that I should just get a bike like a cbr600f4/i or a gsx-r600, the reason is simple. COST. For about the same price as heads,body kit,rims, etc...or even the price of the supercharger alone you can get a bike, which will I am sure satisfy any need 4 speed that I may have. I see modding our car as a money pit now, because if we increase our hp by say 100, we will have to reinforce our trannies, and get bigger brakes, etc... Anyone feel me on this issue? What do you guys think bike or car?
Old 01-11-2002, 10:37 AM

well getting a bike is a good idea due to cost and speed. But I wouldnt race on the street with a bike as I might race with a car. From my past experience, i'll never own a bike again.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Racer

I'm not saying racing necessarily just driving fast when i want to. And this way I will still have my car also. Its like a 2 for 1 kinda thing.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Silver Bullet

I think a bike is a good idea if your an experienced rider.....it's easy to maintain....uses less gas.....fast as shit.....cuts through traffic....the only thing is if you get hit, you'll be in some serious shit...just watch out!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 01:16 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I'm waiting until I get a garage again before I get a new bike. Don't get a bike if it's going to be sitting outside all the time. That's why I sold my last one.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Racer

That is even another reason, if you get hit or hit something... Assuming you are not horribly injured, maybe say a broken arm , something like that... If you survive the crash insurance will pay for the bike, right! Same kinda crash doing something stupid in your 350 hp modded out CL-S, hmmm insurance pays roughly 2/3 the cost of your vehicle, like $23-24,000 if you have a 01', that you bought for $31-32,000 and added like 5-10,000 in mods. Granted you would have to survive the wreck.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

I think you should buy the bike.

I have had my share of bikes and they are a blast if you ride them responsibly.

Don't get me wrong but how much $ are you going to spend on your car and how fast will it really be. There will always be a faster car out there.

If I had the $ I would spend it on the car and the bike but if I was in your shoes I would do the bike and little mods on the CL.

Just my thought good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well... I'll never own a bike... There are simply too many bad drivers out there. I'm sure its fun and all, but one guy hite you, and you loose your leg. One of my mother's patients had everythign going for him... own business, had his own home, nice famikly... some drunk hit him on his classic Harley. He lost both legs. He's been in the rehab for about a yerar, it keeps getting infected and they keep taking more of his legs off, so he can't use a fake leg. Its just horrible. I know you can loose a leg in a car accident too, but its alot more difficult, and the accident has to be pretty severs for the car to be that destroyed the cabin caves in on itself. Unless you're stupid and don't wear your seatbelt...
Old 01-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Red X

you know i was gonna post in this thread. i have a bike. check the thread in ramblings. i love it. a must is leathers. get the whole outfit, including boots and gloves. i don't believe that bikes are any more dangerous than cars. you just gotta ride more defensively. besides i only ride on "rides" or the track. i rarely run errands on the bike. i do commute though. take a class and get a used bike if you've never ridden before. there are many things you need to know about a bike and riding one. inform yourself before you do anything. let me know if i can help you out with gear or whatever.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Hey Ultimac,

I roadrace motorcycles and once I started racing them I quit riding on the street. If I ever started riding on the street again, I personally would get something "slow" because I know what I can do with a sportbike. I roadrace because I do enjoy the speed but I also enjoy the competition.

There is hardly any comparison of bike vs. car when it comes to performance. An $8,500 600cc sportbike would run circles around anyone's CL on the track. Anyone's. And for that matter, anyone's built Viper, etc. You need to spend really stupid amounts of money before a car would get around a race track faster than a motorcycle.

EXAMPLE: A friend of mine in CA recently went to Willow Springs in his 2001 Corvette that he has about $60k wrapped up in. He was still slower than the times he ran on his homade motorcycle with a single cylinder Rotax engine (65 HP vs. 400 HP). He stated that the fast club car guys (built Vipers, etc.) are still slower than the fast club motorcycle guys at Willow by about 6 seconds per lap.

Having raced motorcycles, I always find it funny when car people think they are fast. 'Fast' is a relative word and bikes are faster than cars - and a whole lot cheaper.

Obviously you need to know how to ride and the average jack-off probably would go faster in a car than they would on a bike. But when the skill levels are the same, bikes are faster.

Do a few mods to your CL to make yourself happy but for goodness sakes, GET THE BIKE!!!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Ultimac you've seen the light that I saw a year ago. My car is for chilling and the bike is my speed weapon. No matter what I do to the car or whatever car I ever get the performance won't even come close to the latest 600-class bikes. To that end i've foregone all power mods and just concentrated on making my car look nice and the interior a dope place to ride in.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gmilian
you know i was gonna post in this thread. i have a bike. check the thread in ramblings. i love it. a must is leathers. get the whole outfit, including boots and gloves. i don't believe that bikes are any more dangerous than cars. you just gotta ride more defensively.

I don't knwo what you're basing that on... You get T-boned by a car and your leg is gone. No ifs ands or buts. At least in teh CL I have a door with a side impact beam. Let the car do the crashing.
It sucks... Because I'm sure its more fun than a very, but its just too dangerous IMO.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:46 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remember the important things one of them being that if the day arrives where you do not have at least a healthy dose of respect and fear when you swing a leg over that road borne missile you had better put it back in the garage and take the car.I own a Civic (kinda fun) a Miata (lotsa fun) and my GSXR (outrageous) .But there are days when i arrive in my garage take one look at that bike and just say to my self " today is just not a good day for that".This thing will top out at 160 get's to 60 in a hair over three seconds and will positively scare the shit out of me every time I'm on it,I love it but somedays it just ain't that kind of day.Jens
Old 01-12-2002, 09:48 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Bike vs.Car what do you guys think?

Originally posted by Ultimac
Ok, I am thinking rather than keep modding my car that I should just get a bike like a cbr600f4/i or a gsx-r600
600's are weak, can't get out of there own way, get a big V-Twin

Old 01-12-2002, 10:58 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
I always had a second 'toy' but switched from a bike after 27 years of riding to a used miata. It was about an even switch price & insurance wise. But after having a child I just didn't have the energy to ride as often. And as Jens says if you're not mentally prepared to ride, don't. I had more no days than go days, so I bought the miata. And know what? Except for the lack of acceleration it's just as fun. Yeah, you could have one nice car but I like being able to switch vehicles since they're so different. Makes you appreciate the other after a few days. So I say either go with a bike and never ride over your head or get a used miata.

ps. It's easier to get chicks to ride in the car than the bike.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:03 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by isbworking
ps. It's easier to get chicks to ride in the car than the bike.
yeah, but the bike has the coolness factor
Old 01-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by acura_service

yeah, but the bike has the coolness factor
Yeah especially when the tempaterure is 1. :P
To me its just too dangerous... I value my legs.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:50 PM
www.drippinwet.com

well, i've been in more car wrecks than bike wrecks
Old 01-12-2002, 09:20 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Bike vs.Car what do you guys think?

Originally posted by acura_service

600's are weak, can't get out of there own way, get a big V-Twin

lol...

2001 aprilia rsv mille: 10.68@132.2

2001 honda cbr600f4i: 10.71@126.7
2001 kawasaki zx-6r: 10.92@124.4
2001 suzuki gsx-r600: 10.69@126.6
2001 yamaha yzf-r6: 10.75@127.6

lessee... nearly the same e.t., but much higher terminal speed for the big v-twin? sounds like it's playing catch-up to the weak 600s...

still, aprilia:

(yeah, I know the picture is the 'r', but motorcyclist didn't have performance data available for it...)