The Big Debate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 05:58 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Big Debate?

Ok, I have been debating this even before I got my car. What to do is the question. Should I dress up the car with a classy spoiler, TV/DVD/GPS, and nice stereo system or should I spend the money on headers, intake, pullys, light rims. I love to drive fast, I drive like a nut. But I also love turning people's heads. It seems that there isn't much improvement from the headers, intake, pullys, light rims. It would seem I was heading towards spending 4500-5000 dollars for all that. And what I have been hearing is that it won't even improve half a second!!! IS THIS TRUE??? If so then what is the point. Does anyone agree with me should I dress the car up with the Styling or should I spend the money on the speed and be happy with the .5 sec if that improvement. Give me some feedback, Thanks, Anthony.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:50 AM
Pro

My opinion is that if you were willing to invest 4-5K to make the CL-P accelerate quicker, you should have bought a CL-S. That said, you can still trade the CL-P in, lose some money, and buy the CL-S. You'd have the faster car you wanted, a valid warranty, plus keep every bit of the reliability and day-to-day refinement.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]
Old 07-18-2001, 09:22 AM
Race Director

Well since my dad bought me the car and that's not an option (as I have stated before) then we have to work with what we have so going back to my original question what do people think i'm just trying to get an opinion which you might think is better let's try and stay on that topic.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Go for the sound/video system!!!
You get in a lot less trouble with a nice system than going 100+ down the roads
Something that may save you some money is to get a PS2 instead of the dvd player. The PS2 will be 500+ cheaper and will also play DVD's. This is what I am thinking of now.

You will also get much more use out of the system over a little more speed. I still think if you aren't happy with the stock speed on the CL-P or CL-S, then you should have saved up for the M3. Its like you said, even with headers/cai/... you still only add a marginal increase only felt in the 5000+ rpm range.

For insurance, most auto insurance companies will insure the custom sound/video system. Just check with them to get the rider added, its not expensive.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:17 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:
<STRONG>Go for the sound/video system!!!
You get in a lot less trouble with a nice system than going 100+ down the roads
Something that may save you some money is to get a PS2 instead of the dvd player. The PS2 will be 500+ cheaper and will also play DVD's. This is what I am thinking of now.

You will also get much more use out of the system over a little more speed. I still think if you aren't happy with the stock speed on the CL-P or CL-S, then you should have saved up for the M3. Its like you said, even with headers/cai/... you still only add a marginal increase only felt in the 5000+ rpm range.

For insurance, most auto insurance companies will insure the custom sound/video system. Just check with them to get the rider added, its not expensive.</STRONG>
I like your Idea a lot. I want to get a flip out TV screen like the Alpine with Nav System and also maybe the PS2. Do you know what companies I should go with and what all this will cost with installation. Thanks, Anthony
Old 07-18-2001, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by pgatour1:
<STRONG>

I like your Idea a lot. I want to get a flip out TV screen like the Alpine with Nav System and also maybe the PS2. Do you know what companies I should go with and what all this will cost with installation. Thanks, Anthony</STRONG>
Go right to Ron from Streeteffectz... you can contact him in the A/V and Electronics forum on here. Also, check his website @ www.streeteffectz.com . I've seen some of his work first hand... and it's unbelievable...
Old 07-18-2001, 12:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

Don't go for performance now. Just get the audio/video setup and throw some nice 19s on. Then, if/when you get bored, start adding performance mods that probably aren't really worth the money.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:25 PM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I personally would go for the performance modifications. Unless you're going to show your car why would you need a tv or dvd player in your car. This is something I've never understood why people put that much money into systems. I do agree though that it's less likely to get you in trouble with the law.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

just wait til the meet and see how fast some of the other cars are. Then make your decision.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:35 PM
Advanced

pgatour1
hey i am in the market for a daytona stainless steel black or white face....email me at frankbal@bellsouth.net