Best time to change traffic court date...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to change traffic court date...

Hey guys (and ladies),

Got a ticket, $80.00 for going 59 in a 45. It's pure bull though, as I hadn't even made it to the 45 sign yet. Anyway, I've decided to fight it in court. I've got a mid April court-date, but since the cop lied on the ticket, I'm certainly not just laying down for it. Going down there to take some pictures and do a diagram of the scene. I'm also going to change the court date a couple of times.

If I was doing what he said, I'd just eat the ticket and be done with it...

Any suggestions on when's the best time to change my date?

dee

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 03-26-2001, 06:59 PM
WPS
Intermediate

maybe a friday cuz cop is more interested in the weekend to show up

------------------

[This message has been edited by WPS (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Or early in the week, first thing in the morning, before the judge has hears a lot of "it wasn't my fault stories"..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 03-26-2001, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,100 Likes on 3,608 Posts
Each town has its set schedule for vehicle and traffic infractions, including nites when the judge hears contested tickets vs. other nites when the tix are pled to a lesser charge. It seems to me that no matter what you do, you're going to just be spinnin' your own wheels if you keep postponing the thing. Get the pix you speak of and challenge it if you want. Be prepared tho, if the cop has to come down and testify after you gave him a hard time at the scene (if you did) he's gonna have a big ol' hard on to fry yer ass and somethin tells me the judge ain't gonna view your word as favorably as Mr. Officer's. Just my opinion as a lawyer that's all.

------------------
'01 Satin Silver CL-S, tint, Momo Cobra Carbon, Mobil1, V1, 19169's

NY Lic.- F1 FAN
Future mods: Comptech springs, sways & headers
18" wheels (Heidfelds or Volks) with S-02's
aerokit?

1995 Mitsu GSX, no mods
NY Lic.-I LV F1
Old 03-26-2001, 09:19 PM

Chief: I bow to your greater knowledge. I didn't give him a hard time, though, and actually he was very courteous. It was an amicable ticket (as much as it could be) I just disagree with the ticket. I don't particularly want to piss him off, he was just wrong. Now, it's a small town in southern OK, and I'm a black man...I don't think it's going to go well, but it burns me to pay for something I didn't do.

Also, he said that I could call and get the points deferred so no points on the license.

I'm tempted to do just as he suggested. This may be a time to cut my losses ($80) but it's the principle of the thing.

dee

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 09:20 PM
Race Director

Usually all the officers' cases are lumped together so that he can appear at court with his dozen or so cases that day, no?

You don't think he has court on Tuesday and Thursay and Friday and next Wednesday and....my guess.

Have you tried to plea-bargaining before even going to court? I've been in traffic court to fight at least four times:

1.No matter what I said, I lost.
2.When I tried to start my case, the judge asked me if I had talked with the city atty, I said "no" and he said "go talk to him in the back...". We worked out a deal.
3.I showed, the officer did not show because he was in training all week. Dropped.
4.I showed, no officer. City atty told me the squad car that paced me did not have speedo records. Dropped.

Finally I did a guilty w/special circumstances over the phone for an out-of-town ticket (i.e. you keep the Visa card charge and drop the infraction from my record - speedo error).

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 03-26-2001, 09:23 PM

Ken: so you're saying just go down there and do it, forget the reschedule thing?

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 09:31 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothJyzz:
Ken: so you're saying just go down there and do it, forget the reschedule thing?
</font>
No, I just read your post right before mine. You win a few, you lose a few. I wouldn't even go down, I would call down and get the points deferred. Honestly, $80 is change. In my state, you pay double the ticket to get it deferred. It's a standing program.

This country was built on plea-bargaining.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 03-26-2001, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

dee

Does getting the ticket deferred still result in any insurance surcharge? Because if deferment means no surcharge then I know what I would do. Swallow my pride and chalk it up as an $80 loss. Then again here in NJ insurance fees are "the" number one driving nuisance.

Otoh while I was waiting my turn in front of the judge I heard a women say that she ran the red light because her baby dropped a toy on the floor of her car and she had to pick it up. So she didn't see the red light. The judge looks at her a second, scribbles something, and says not guilty.

It was a Monday morning.

Good luck

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package