Best IPOD/MP3 Dock Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best IPOD/MP3 Dock Install

My Bose CD player for last 2-3years every so often comes up with error "ER-E1" a couple smacks, or pokes and usually starts working again, not this time, been out for the count for about a month now.

I want to invest in an IPOD/MP3, and hook it up to the AUX input.

I am curious as to what the best setup is, I don't want wires running everywhere, and I want the IPOD to be able to get power input as well as signal output.
Anyone have a good recommendation as to a nice dock, and where they mounted it in there CL, and were they drew the power from.

-Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

In doing some searching I came across some threads. This ice-link which I am sure has been discussed a million times looks interesting.
One problem I am finding is most of the installed pics no longer work, and someone had posted a PDF install file, that the link no longer is valid.
The icelink seemed interesting because of the ability to change tracks using the OEM buttons on the wheel.

I went to http://www.dension.com/ they have so many products there, no idea what I am looking at. I would like to be able to have the ipod mounted so I can see the display, or some sort of remote display.

Anyone have, recommendations, pics of install, install faqs, and where/what to order?

Thank you
Old 09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
May want to look at the audio section.
I have the blitzsafe ipod adapter. Gives me a ipod connector(charges) & volume control. No track control.
I tried all of the adapters on my car & couldn't get any of the track controls working right. This was a few years ago. Not sure if those company's have fixed them.
I've been very happy with my unit. Single ipod cable nothing else shows. I don't have a mount, I take the ipod to anther car or in my house & didn't want it in sight. I have a nano which goes into my cup holder.
Pics:

Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced

The Bltzsafe is the way to. Plugs into the aux port.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv1.html

I had the same problem with the CD player. Dealer replaced the first one. Every now and then you can find some one selling the stock head unit in the black market which is what I've done a couple of times. If they don't have the code for the radio you can swap just the CD player onto your original head unit. There's 5 or 6 screws and a ribbon cable.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Thank you for the response. Ya i'd love to try to fix the CD player at some point, i did some searching, and saw some posts about changing some tiny springs in the elevator mechanism, i don't know, i just listen to burnt cds anyway, figure time to get MP3 player.

Any reason why you believe the Blitzsafe is better than the Ice-Link thing, which seems like you can change tracks, and i think i read of some nice dock thats part of it? (Anyone have the link for purchasing that). And some comparisons?

-Mike
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

As I said, those other adapters didn't work for changing tracks. The stock HU is buggy. Some units complain more then others. I got tired of trying them & settled on the blitzsafe.
You can buy any mount you want. The mount is separate from the adapter.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where is the AUX input? Is it in the back of the stock HU? So you gotta take out the whole thing to get to it?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
best is a pioneer deck (double din) + ipod cable which isn't what your op suggests but eh.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for that other suggestion, I have the stock Navi, and I do not want to make any serious investments and start ripping everything out, (I am a law student & not looking to go crazy)

Fuzzy, Appreciate the help. I believe that to use the ice link, you need the blitzsafe as well? So I can always just fall back on the blitzsafe if the icelink doesnt controls dont work right?

I have a couple of questions,

1. It is my understanding from searching, that if go the "Ice link" route you still use this blitzsafe adapter to hook into the car stereo? Is that correct, so you would need both?

2. Are both systems compatible with the Navi version, and are there any additional parts needed to accomodate the stock Navi?

3. What are the model #'s of the newest ice link that works with the CL? I see on the dension.com site, a Ice link 100/200i/300/500. No idea which one if any of those is the right model. Just looking for an overall list of what I need to order.

I was put in touch with a site called "Mass Electronics" http://www.mass.ca/ that is a distributor of the ice link, anyone have any info, or from there site, is that correct version of what need:
http://www.mass.ca/categoryshow.asp?id=330&vehicleId=0

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

You do not need both. It's 1 or the other.
Contact dension for the correct one. I don't see anything on their site for a CLS.
They will all work with navi. There's a unused connector on the back of the head unit the adapter plugs into. This is NOT an aux input, It's a CD changer port & the adapter you buy will convert that to an aux input.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
and you dont need to remove the headunit. You just remove the panel on the side passenger's side of the radio and you can plug it in from there. It is alot easier if you have smaller to medium sized hands. I have rather large hands so it was pretty difficult to put it in. I had my gf do it
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
IAPECC Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FUZZY:
im not criticizing you but you did not want a cleaner install?
so you dont see the obviose white cable?
i hid mine in the glove box...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

The cable is small, & runs under the parking brake handle inside the console. It's VERY clean & stealth. When not in use it tuck into the cup holder. The ipod also goes inside the cup holder. I close the cup holder lid & it's not noticeable.
I have a nano. It's really tiny.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Dension no longer support their products in the US. I have a unit I will see you for cheap if you want it but good luck with it. Every now and then it will allow me to change tracks with the factory controls but 99.5% of the time it will not. It will only play the current song. If you select a playlist it will play them in order even if you had random turned on on the iPod. You have to remove the iPod from the cradle to change the track or select a different playlist, etc. I have a bunch of newer firmware files for the unit but haven't tried any of them. Not sure if I'll even bother.

The Blitzsafe is the best way to go. It costs the same and actually works. Sure you have to manually operate the iPod to get to the song you want, etc but it works without having to remove it from the cradle. I'm gonna go that route shortly here.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, I posted a msg in the Audio Video section, still have not gotten any bites. I see the FAQ in that section, cited below, where there is a pic of a member's ice-link, that is basically exactly the setup I would want, and the link also has a FAQ of the install.
Cite: [URL="https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154278"]

I am now skeptical though, b/c i've seen a couple posts that the Ice-link did not work, however, that person with the FAQ seemed pretty happy with it.

When I got a return call from Mass (www.mass.ca) they said the "icelink 100" was probably the one I needed, but they were not sure, if it was a square, round or small square connector on the back, that it varied from year to year. And I have no idea if he knows what he is saying, and or what I have.

I also saw posts saying that the Ice-link uses the blitzsafe, but this guy is saying the ice link comes with a harness, I have no idea. and am mad confused. I get that the blitzsafe works flawlessly, but would like the setup the dude has in the link above, which he also has an '01 CL-S with Navi. Any clarification would be appreciated.

-Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I Wanna Beer

100% Clarification - The Ice-Link DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY! If you want something that will work you should go with the Blitzsafe. If you have your heart set on the Ice-Link I'll see you mine for cheap. Only been used 5-10 times. Still have everything including the box.

/thread
Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
ridin slow'n'low

weez...how cheap?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by smokendsm
weez...how cheap?
$50. I'll even throw in all the firmware files for it so you can try upgrading it if you want.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I Wanna Beer

Just looked and it appears that the Ice-Links for our cars shipped with firmware 2.11. I have 2.17 which I can give a try. Here's the revision history.

History of Ice>Link Plus 2.1x firmwares
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ICEV2-2.17

Bug fixes:
- Starting problem fixed on Blaupunkt radios
- Keypress double executing fixed on VDO/Renault radios
- Strange track changes fixed on VDO/Renault radios
- Display freeze on CD change fixed on VDO radios

New features:
- Blaupunkt_Text carconfig added (displays text on capable Blaupunkt radios)
- VDO_NoText carconfig added (avoid CD changing on VDO radios that access CD-Text in a difficult way)

Known Bugs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ICEV2-2.16

Bug fixes:
- Improved Program FLASH write algorithm

New features:

Known Bugs:

ICEV2-2.15

Bug fixes:
- Fixed iPod UI mode with iPod 5G (Video).
- Fixed firmware version displaying at Warning message. The new format is:
ICEV2-2.15

New features:
- Improved iPod UI mode. New features:
CD1 + FFWD/REWD = Fast Forward/Rewind
CD2 + FFWD/REWD = Next/Previous Playlist
CD3 + FFWD/REWD = Next/Previous Album
CD3 + FFWD/REWD = Next/Previous Chapter

Known Bugs:
ICEV2 2.14

Bug fixes:
- Fixed VDO CD-text feature. Now supports Track Title and Track Artist text
fields. Disc Title/Artist displaying is not supported.

Known Bugs:

ICEV2 2.13 Internal release, not for general use

Bug fixes:
- Midified VDO CD-text functionality

Known Bugs:

ICEV2 2.12

New features:
- Added Renault and VDO car interfaces

Bug fixes:
- Fixed Mazda Random function handling,

Known Bugs:

ICEV2 2.11

New features:
- Added Honda-R2 interface. Compatibility with old type Honda headunits. (before 2003)
- added Mazda Car interface and Mazda support, (please see the compatibility list)
- Menu key can be selected via MP3 config file,
- The MASERATI car interface uses CD5 as ice>Link Menu key
- Balupunkt Navigation Car Interface config
It uses "next track" for browsing and "prev track" for selecting

Bug fixes:
- Fixed Car interface name displaying,
- "Hot freeze" problem solved. With 2.10 fw the hot ice>Link can stop working
and repaire itself after power off and cool down.
- Fixed Alpine fast seek displaying bug
- The "after more than 10 quick track changes the displayed track number on the
radio did not correspond with the number of the pressed buttons" problem has
been fixed.
- Long (more than 80 min) mp3 songs caused some problem on some radios.
From now on the minutes and seconds counter on the radios reseted to 00:00
after 59:59.
- The Blaupunkt interface became compatible with TravelPilot E1
- Track change problem fixed. It became faster and more stable with Audi
navigation Plus.
- (VW, Audi) Scan, random functions aligned to different radio specifications.
- Better compability with Fiat Stilo (from HW v2.03)
- Modified Blaupunkt interface to improve compatibility with Fiat navigation
and Blaupunkt DX-R navigation headunits

Known Bugs:
- VW Ice-Link is not compatible with standalone VW CD players
- First magazine scan (CDC init.) can take about 3 minutes with ALFA 147
navigation headunits.

ICEV2 2.10

New features:
- Simplified menu structure
* Access iPod UI
* Playlists
* AlbumPlay
* Setup ice>Link
* Language
* Charge
* Audio Level
* Disc change

- IMPORTANT NOTE! The 2.1x firmware serie not containes the BMW interface
There will be a special BMW release.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed menu access bug with using Connects2 adapters.
(Tested with Renault, Peugeot, Honda.)

Known Bugs:
- The car interfaces are the same as in 2.07 firmware version, exept SONY

Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Theweez, Thanks for all that info. Are you thinking about giving the firmware update a try?
Also what type of icelink are you using, and what is the connector on the back (shape, #pins)

Dension, does not seem to have any phone contact info. densonusa.com says no longer with dension, and the website www.dension.com does not list the CL on the compatibility list, and directs you to a distributor in Canada, that then when call Automobility in Canada they direct you to an end user retailer called Mass. Mass wasn't familar with our car or the exact type of harness needed. They are waiting for me to call them back, he believes I want the Icelink 100, and is waiting for info on the type of Harness/connector (small square, round, or large square). But he is hesitatant to sell the product, unless I receive some confirmation that it works, which i guess is still up in the air.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I Wanna Beer

Denson has stopped all US support. Even attempting to call them to ask them a couple questions and they told me they couldn't help me cause I'm in the US. Their FTP site is all messed up so good luck trying to find newer firmware.

It has the 14 pin connector or whatever that plugs in in the back of the headunit in the CD changer slot. You do not need to remove the entire headunit as shown in the nice how-to. I just pulled the passenger side cover and plugged it in with the headunit in place. Just feel around blindly til you find the spot.

Not sure why they'd sell you the Ice-Link 100. The Ice-Link Plus has always been the only one that's made to work for the CL (but doesn't work correctly). If a place selling you a product can't be 100% sure without you giving them reassurance I'd pass on it. Why even bother with a product they can't stand behind especially if so many people say it doesn't work. Seems pretty stupid.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Im thinking of buying one of these blintzsafe connectors for my car, but I have a question for the guys that currently have this hooked up in your car. How is the sound quality? Is it just as good as if you rip that MP3 song on a CD and play it on the CD player? Thanks all, this might be on my list for the future along with a 40gb IPOD to hold all my songs.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by 03CLS6spdcharcoal
Im thinking of buying one of these blintzsafe connectors for my car, but I have a question for the guys that currently have this hooked up in your car. How is the sound quality? Is it just as good as if you rip that MP3 song on a CD and play it on the CD player? Thanks all, this might be on my list for the future along with a 40gb IPOD to hold all my songs.
Sound quality is fully digital (something you don't get with those tape adaptors). Sounds just as it would if you had headphones connected to the iPod.

--------

Any questions on the quality of the Ice-Link, search Google for all the complaints. Or checkout this nice write up:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/home_automation/icelink.html
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

I think the verdict is to just go with the blitzsafe.
Does http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv1.html contain the newest blitzsafe? And is there anything else other than this adapter that I need to purchase? I would like to have the kind of dock/holder that was in that FAQ i posted earlier, anyone know where I can purchase something nice like that to use with the blitzsafe?

-Mike
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by mikeytke
I think the verdict is to just go with the blitzsafe.
Does http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv1.html contain the newest blitzsafe? And is there anything else other than this adapter that I need to purchase? I would like to have the kind of dock/holder that was in that FAQ i posted earlier, anyone know where I can purchase something nice like that to use with the blitzsafe?

-Mike
http://www.proclipusa.com
Old 10-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Ha you two guys are mad helpful. Thanks, now the easy part.
I just looked at my music collection its about 3gigs, I think the new 16gig Nano is more than enough for me, rather have something small in the car. Is the nano that is currently avaliable on Apples site compatible with the blitzsafe, the blitzsafe link says Compatible with the iPOD Classic, iPOD mini, iPOD nano, G3, G4, and G5 iPODs, plus the 1st generation iPhone. However, newer the proclip site, specifies that there are 3 generations of Nano's, so wanted to make sure blitzsafe worked with the 16g currently avaliable for playing and charging.

-Mike
Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

The 16GB Nano is brand new. Not sure if it's compatible. I would imagine it would be though. I know the 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen's are.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

I called blitzsafe, a new adaptor is coming out within the next few weeks, that is capable of charging, the newer iphone, and itouch and stuff. I will find out more info tomorrow when I talk to someone else there, it was after 6pm when I called, was not many technical ppl around. Guess I will base my decision on what i buy from that, the ipod touch looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeytke
I called blitzsafe, a new adaptor is coming out within the next few weeks, that is capable of charging, the newer iphone, and itouch and stuff. I will find out more info tomorrow when I talk to someone else there, it was after 6pm when I called, was not many technical ppl around. Guess I will base my decision on what i buy from that, the ipod touch looks pretty sweet.

awesome...glad i just read this post. cause in the first link posted it says it will worth with the iphone but wont charge it so i was . glad to hear they are putting something out for us iphone ppls.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I Wanna Beer

Nice to know on the iPhone part. I assumed most wouldn't work with it. Guess I'll wait a bit and buy when the new one is released. I have an old 3G 40GB iPod that is gonna be my car one now. Work got me a nano for testing that I use for working out and bike riding. Still nice to have the option to use the iPhone too though.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Blitzsafe

I talked to the tech guy at Blitzsafe today, the new adaptor will be out in approximately 5 weeks, and I believe you will be able to order a new cord to attach onto the current blitzsafe as well, because he said I could buy the blitzsafe now if I wanted and then buy the cord later.

The new 16gb Nano, is included in the devices that use USB for charging instead of firewire. Bottom line is i'm going to wait until this new adaptor comes out to do anything. In the mean time, if anyone had info on how to easily remove the side panel without taking the player out and or pics illustrating, would be cool.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

look at the audio FAQ about installing a HU. That has pics. There's also an ipod specific FAQ in there for a TL.