Benz ML vs. Grand Cherokee...Benz wins.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Benz ML vs. Grand Cherokee...Benz wins.

I was walking out to my car this morning when I heard a loud bang/smash behind me. I turn around and there's a mercedes benz ML doing a 360 headed toward me fairly quickly. Luckily I was able to move out of the way in time to avoid getting hit.

Apparently this guy in a late model Grand cherokee was going about 35-40 mph when he ran a stop sign and T boned this Benz hard, right at it's rear passenger door. There was a woman driving and little girl in a car seat in the back of the benz, but both were on the opposite side of impact. Everyone was ok though. The front of the Grand cherokee was totally demolished...engine was pushed down and to the side....there were pieces of it everywhere...but the benz was barely dented in! I was expecting the passenger area to have been penetrated but nothing. From inside the benz you could barely tell it was hit. They were able to drive the Benz away. The Jeep had to be hauled away on a carrier.

If I ever have a family, i know what i'm going to buy for my wife...those germans make some tough cars.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, close call. Glad you're ok. MB side impact rules!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy shit! the side of an ML beatup a jeep ENGINE!. jesus
Old 10-28-2003, 08:38 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, but cars today are designed to crumple the front and drop the motor out in case of an accident so that you dont get decapitated by the hood or impaled and hit by other crap. If the benz hit head on i think it would have been similar to the jeep as far as damge goes.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see everybody made it through this one in one piece .Years ago I worked for Benz ,one time we were shown actual films of real crash trests the engineers would put the cars through .Absolutely incredible watching in ultra slow motion as the then new SL 500 was driven at high speed over a ramp and flipped on it's roof mid air .Better yet was watching the rollover bar pop out and save the crash test dummy's life .Next time you get a chance take a look at a door latch on a Benz and compare it to some other stuff out there .The difference is astonishing .Everything about a Benz gives the impression that it is made to survive a war .hopefully they will get their electrical gremlins in hand and return to the top of the ranks in real luxury cars .

Jens
Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bigman
yeah, but cars today are designed to crumple the front and drop the motor out in case of an accident so that you dont get decapitated by the hood or impaled and hit by other crap. If the benz hit head on i think it would have been similar to the jeep as far as damge goes.
yeah sorry the title of this thread is a little misleading...even though the cherokee was demolished, the passenger compartment was intact...which is what counts. I was more pointing out the strength of the mercedes...i've seen vehicles that have been t-boned before and this thing faired VERY well against that big ol grand cherokee.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its good to know the mom and kid were OK.

I guess Germany won this little battle with America.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Does anybody recall those crash test videos from MB that preceded the ML's release? That thing was flipped around like a TOY to demonstrate its safety. So I have no question that it would be less battered in an accident with the JGC.

Peace.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Is fast or not

Last year, CL had a match with Grand Cherokee. It rearended the Cherokee at 20-30 mph. My car went under his bumper and bended hood a little and pushed fans in a little. But almighty cherokee, it's gas tank got pushed in, somehow the tailgate was bended and glass all shattered. The car was misfire and had to be towed. I was able to drove away.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Physical damage from a crash means little. Many cars today are designed with crumple zones. The more a car crumples, but better it usually is for the passergers as the car absorbs the shock of the collision. Granted, if the engine or doors were pushed far into the passenger compartment, then it's not good, but the Cherokee did what it was supposed to do.

BTW, they are both made of the same materials and the same weight. The ML isn't built like the Mercedes of the 80's
Old 10-28-2003, 03:29 PM
RIP Red-CL

OH YEAH! check sig, mommys safe.