Benz ML 55 AMG semi-Kill

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 11:52 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benz ML 55 AMG semi-Kill

I'm doing 80mph on 476north going towards lansdale. It's about 11:15 or so and I'm on my way home. I see four lights(headlights and road lamps) on the car and it's traveling with a good amount of speed. He keeps gaining and then wants to pass but there is a trucker in the right lane and he doesn't have enough speed to pass. I accelerate to 95 and he has maintained the distance between us. I stay ahead for about a mile and then I see him charging at me. I move over to the right lane so i can see what kind of car he has. I was in fifth gear and had the car floored. The car keeps pulling and then catches up to me and we are nose to nose. At that point we are doing about 110 and there is a curve comming up and since i'm on the outside lane I slow down and he does the same. I hit the apex of the turn and accelerate and drop the car into 4th gear. Thank god 4th gear isn't as bad as 5th. I slow inched up on the tach and finally hit vtec and just blew past him. He stayed with me until 120mph and kept going until 135mph(new landspeed record). I left him back and then put on the blinkers. He gratiously flashed his high beams and acknowledge the loss.

We ended up getting off at the same exit and the flashed his highs again and i did the same.

I don't know if the guy stopped accelerating on purpose or not so i won't chalk this one as a bonafide win but it's a win nonetheless.

Here are some stats on the '02:
Weight: 5072 lbs.
Base Engine Size: 5.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 342 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 376 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm

'01:

Weight: 4861 lbs.
Base Engine Size: 5.4 liters
Base Engine Type: V8
Horsepower: 342 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 376 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm
Old 12-10-2001, 12:12 PM
STi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Kill! It's all about the driver
Old 12-10-2001, 12:25 PM
Banned

So he wanted to pass you, but you accelerated leaving him either pinned behind you and a semi or forced to try to pass between you and the semi?

Just because someone doesn't take chances on the highway and attempt to pass some crazy taking turns at 110 and doing 135 on a public road with traffic doesn't mean it's a kill.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Pull_T
So he wanted to pass you, but you accelerated leaving him either pinned behind you and a semi or forced to try to pass between you and the semi?

Just because someone doesn't take chances on the highway and attempt to pass some crazy taking turns at 110 and doing 135 on a public road with traffic doesn't mean it's a kill.
I am sorry if my post was unclear but i think you should re-read what i said. No, it didn't pin him. When we were approaching the semi i was doing about 80 mph and maintained the speed. He was about 500 yards back and was gaining ground on me. It looked as if he wanted to pass but decided to do otherwise.

He took the turn just as hard as i did and in fact he pulled ahead going into the turn and I had already let off the accelerator. The turn is really soft. I'm talking 4 or 5 degree shift on direction so we weren't taking 45 degree turns at 90mph or anything. Listen man I know what my car is capable of doing and what the limits are. I was on the outside lane and knew that with the current setup I wouldn't feel comfortable going so fast. Also, we were side by side and i didn't want him washing out into my car and so i slowed to let him get ahead. It wasn't until i hit the apex of the turn did i start to accelerate. We were on a straight away that was about 4 miles long so there weren't any turns.

I agree with you. I didn't feel to safe going so fast but the roads were dry and there was little traffic if any at all and by the time i hit 135 i was all by myself. Calculated risk.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:53 PM
Mr. PC

Originally posted by Pull_T
Ok so maybe it wasn't sanctioned, but a race is a race. And if the person in the Mercedes is gonna try to keep up then he/she obviously wants to prove something.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:54 PM
Mr. PC

Good kill.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mistacanyon

Ok so maybe it wasn't sanctioned, but a race is a race. And if the person in the Mercedes is gonna try to keep up then he/she obviously wants to prove something.
Prove something or flick him off I've been in that situation many times, been flicked off, been high beamed, been honked at. I'll be the first to admit that, and I'm sure slowly others will too. Sometimes, you don't think straight and its all about the win.

And if there is ONE person on this board that says they can't relate to that, then

Good kill!
Old 12-11-2001, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Damn, those things are heavy. A 5000lb car is insane. My very heavy M5 is only 3800lbs and a new740i is about 4400 or so.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:06 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by 91M5
Damn, those things are heavy. A 5000lb car is insane. My very heavy M5 is only 3800lbs and a new740i is about 4400 or so.
yeah, i don't think it was new. I think it was an '01 because it seemed a bit smaller. I ran into a '02 ML55 amg a while back and it looked like it was 5k lbs.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

. . . You give the man a CAI and look what happens!

Still, you have to look at the power/ weight ratio between the
CLS and the ML55. Lighter can = faster. Gearing is crucial at high speed to!

Zapata, have you been by Ardmore Acura lately?
Old 12-17-2001, 11:35 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by xenon7
. . . You give the man a CAI and look what happens!

Still, you have to look at the power/ weight ratio between the
CLS and the ML55. Lighter can = faster. Gearing is crucial at high speed to!

Zapata, have you been by Ardmore Acura lately?
hehehe yeah the cai is nice I was in a bind in trying to decide if i wanted to 6speed and decided that i am happy with what i have and so now i can start saving for the suspension mods and RES. WATCH OUT ROADS OF PA

I went for an oil change and tire-rotation about a month ago. It wasn't bad. Although they weren't too please with the less than stellar evaluation that i gave them. Customer service from ardmore called and i explained to him why i gave such a bad review and he was like ok. I don't know. I'm still a little puzzled why Joe Tinari<sp> couldn't tell me why my tire was making so much noise and why i had lost so much mpg. I had to figure it out after about 7k miles of driving Also, i have called Ardmore 2 times now about the 6speed and nobody has returned my call. Funny thing. I spoke to a sales dude about a month back about the 6speed cls and he was like, it will never happen and had a really cocky attitude.

Eh, i guess they are ok for small stuff. For my last oil change they offered me a car wash and the general disposition is nice but i wasn't too happy with joe's attitude after the bad evaluation. Shit, he acted like a two year old. I guess he was pissed that i didn't mention his name in the eval so he could bribe me with a free oil change. I have my 15k service coming up and i am going to drive up to Park Avenue. It's a drive but it's the 15k service so if there is anything major like the rotors and the small stuff like that stupid moonroof rattle and the recent driver seat creak, i know that PAA will take care of it. Peace of mind. I will get the denso plugs installed while i'm up there and really take advantage of all that air from the CAI .
Old 12-17-2001, 11:59 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

tell ya what, let me know when you are going to go, I might schedule mine to and make the trip w/ ya. I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling from Ardmore anymore. It's a damn shame cuz they are so close.

Old 12-17-2001, 01:38 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by xenon7
tell ya what, let me know when you are going to go, I might schedule mine to and make the trip w/ ya. I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling from Ardmore anymore. It's a damn shame cuz they are so close.

yeah it is a shame Sure i will let you know. Preliminary planning, i think i'll go either Jan 5 or Jan 12. Next two weekends are xmas and new years so i figure those are eliminated.