Bent Valves Warranty Problem - 03 CLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Has been sold for a while

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by implicit
Just an update....apparently the dealer chatted with the district rep and this is the deal I've been offered:

I pay 1/3
Acura pays 1/3
the dealer pays 1/3

Not sure why the dealer should have to pay anything but I appreciate the gesture. The owner at Lougheed Acura is a really great guy and I think he's trying to help his customer (me). At the same time, Acura Canada should still be paying for everything.

They claim there was absolutely nothing wrong with the timing belt or the tensioner but I'm not sure I believe that.....I can live with paying 1/3, but its still BS
That still sounds like B.S. If there isn't a code logged in the ecu there is NO WAY they can prove the car was overeved. They should suspect it...... but can't prove anything. I know for a fact that Acura can authorize a "one time good will" to cover 100% of the costs. Just hold your ground and stress that YOU didn't miss a shift. It sounds like the dealer is trying to pocket a little of your money.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Even 1/3 of what it costs for a repair isn't good enough..especially when they can't prove what you have done to the car. You should keep on telling them to fix the damn thing on their cost. Since they already made an offer of covering 2/3 of repair cost, they won't take that offer back. Look for similar situations from the past (there should be some on ACL?) and claim that you've seen couple different people with same problems. I think you really should call the number that I posted earlier and talk to different people. Someone should listen to you at least for their reputations. Let them know that it's your first Acura and one of the main reasons of purchase was the best reliability you've heard of.
Hope you won't have to spare a dime on the repair man..
Old 12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If it was me I'd pay the 1/3 & be happy with it. Getting $$ from dealers or Acura for warranty work is such a hassle now days. There's this fine line dealers use now. Is it worth the trouble to try & fight it?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What gets me is the fact that irregardless if the payment comes from the consumer or reimbursed from Acura for warranty work, the dealer still gets paid.

I've never figured out why dealers are so hard-nosed on these types of things. If no code was thrown, I'd refuse to pay.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
What gets me is the fact that irregardless if the payment comes from the consumer or reimbursed from Acura for warranty work, the dealer still gets paid.

I've never figured out why dealers are so hard-nosed on these types of things. If no code was thrown, I'd refuse to pay.
Would it store a code if the overrev was caused by a downshift and not under power or WOT?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH! You just kicked me right in a pet peeve.

Regardless of what you may think, irregardless is not a word.

...and now back to our regular thread.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Slimey

OUCH! You just kicked me right in a pet peeve.

Regardless of what you may think, irregardless is not a word.

...and now back to our regular thread.

It's my party and I can make up words if I want to.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Allout
Would it store a code if the overrev was caused by a downshift and not under power or WOT?
I don't think it matters if you were on the throttle or not.

If it does store a code for something like this, which I'm sure it does, it'll probably just note the overrev...
Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 PM
eh

Well I got a call from Acura telling me my car was ready...and of course the final price is higher than the quoted amount so my 1/3 is really closer to 1/2.

As I need my car back I'm probably going to have to pay but I'm still going to keep fighting it. They told me the paper work wasn't ready but the car was, I told them I wasn't going to pay until the paperwork is ready and they document EXACTLY why they're refusing to cover it under warranty.

I'll be giving Honda Canada a call on Monday too before going in to get my car.

If they still won't budge I get to decide between small claims or CAMVAP (www.camvap.ca).
Old 12-04-2004, 10:01 PM
eh

I don't think it matters if you were on the throttle or not.

If it does store a code for something like this, which I'm sure it does, it'll probably just note the overrev...
It looks to me like an overrev is an overrev according to the OBD.....shouldn't matter how it happened.

On my car you can't rev past 5000rpm if its not in gear (I assume all the last gen CLs and TLs are the same) and it think it cuts the throttle at 7100rpm if its in gear (haven't tested that one though....) .....so you'd have to down shift to overrev.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

just have a lawyer send them a letter...as suggested b4, it'll end up costing a little money out of you're pocket but a lot less than work, also find out everything about their protocol in regards to a situation like this...when I was doing the cl-s 6spd accord swap i had to deal a bit with acura who at first was like..we can't touch it it has the wrong motor...but a friend at honda basically told me what they would have to do step by step to take car of me..when I returned to the acura dealer...he told me again he couldn't do it, I asked why not all that was involved was...yada yada yada, and the service manager was like...."um ya...uh..ok...ya i guess we can do that." the mentality of these guys is often to simply make the customer pay, and they are no more honest than "shady" mechanics....this is of course not true of all service managers though
Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Also tell us what exactly did they do to fix the car.