Bending stock rim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 05:50 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Bending stock rim?

How hard is it to bend the stock rim? I had my tires rotated and balanced and acura said I had a bent rim. I don't remember hitting any potholes hard. But I did get a refurbished rim to replace a scratched one from www.transwheel.com but I don't remember what rim it was now. So i'm curious now if transwheel screwed me or I did it myself.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Achance, I'd think if you bent it yourself you would know how.

I'm not sure about the stock rims but I KNOW that BBS rims can take a beating and keep on ticking. Today I was in NYC. I'm going around the block hunting for a parking space down by 14th street when my head hits the roof as car and I plummet into this incredibly huge pothole. My right front wheel takes the worst! (Sh*T, it was so deep it was a heroinhole!) No warning cones, no caution horses, nothing to warn a driver. Needing to go around again, though very carefully, I now see that somebody has since put two cones in front of the hole. Anyways I park, take a looksee at the tire and notice that the BBS rim has but a tiny scratch on its lip. Returning to my car a half hour later I'm very glad that no air has left the tire so I won't have to change a tire downtown during rush hour.

Now my suspension is prolly faddled because some potholes in the city can literally swallow half a car, but that BBS rim doesn't seem bent a bit.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Al Uminum..you might want to take out the tire/wheel and see if there is a slight bend on the inside of the wheel..the same thing happened to me before on a previous car....everthing looked fine on the outside, but when I took out the tires a few months later for rotating...a small bend! Hope yours isnt though..the RX is a dope wheel though...I like it better then the RX-II
Old 10-17-2001, 10:57 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Could they be talking about the lip where the bead seals????
Old 10-18-2001, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

synth: Thanks. Thats a good idea about checking the INNER part of the rim. Will take a look soon. I can only wonder how many cracks or pieces the stockers might have been in had I had them on.

Nicky Pass: Yups. The lip, where the bead seals. Just some tiny nicks on the outside of the lip. Y?
Old 10-18-2001, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Al Uminum
synth: Thanks. Thats a good idea about checking the INNER part of the rim. Will take a look soon. I can only wonder how many cracks or pieces the stockers might have been in had I had them on.

Nicky Pass: Yups. The lip, where the bead seals. Just some tiny nicks on the outside of the lip. Y?
I hit a pothole too...it threw me out of my seat almost!!! It drove fine the rest of the night...with a slight, hardly noticeable pull...I figured my suspension was out of whack...my friend checked the inside of the rim and said I bent it...it didn't lose any air though. The next day, I took it to his shop to get the rim straightened....he took off the rim and saw a small crack...after we removed the tire and pounded the rim somewhat straight....the crack widened and couldn't hold anymore air....$120 later I got my rim fixed.