Bedding in Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedding in Brakes

Hello, I am getting some Brembo cross drilled rotors and Axiss pads (Front Only) and wanted to know opinions on breaking them in.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Taken from Stoptech's website

PREVENTION

There is only one way to prevent this sort of thing - following proper break in procedures for both pad and disc and use the correct pad for your driving style and conditions. All high performance after market discs and pads should come with both installation and break in instructions. The procedures are very similar between manufacturers. With respect to the pads, the bonding resins must be burned off relatively slowly to avoid both fade and uneven deposits. The procedure is several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.

In terms of stop severity, an ABS active stop would typically be around 0.9 G’s and above, depending on the vehicle. What you want to do is stop at a rate around 0.7

to 0.9 G's. That is a deceleration rate near but below lock up or ABS intervention. You should begin to smell pads at the 5th to 7th stop and the smell should diminish before the last stop. A powdery gray area will become visible on the edge of the pad (actually the edge of the friction material in contact with the disc - not the backing plate) where the paint and resins of the pad are burning off. When the gray area on the edges of the pads are about 1/8" deep, the pad is bedded.

For a race pad, typically four 80mph to 5 and two 100mph to 5, depending on the pad, will also be necessary to raise the system temperatures during break-in to the range that the pad material was designed to operate at. Hence, the higher temperature material can establish its layer completely and uniformly on the disc surface.

Fortunately the procedure is also good for the discs and will relieve any residual thermal stresses left over from the casting process (all discs should be thermally stress relieved as one of the last manufacturing processes) and will transfer the smooth layer of pad material onto the disc. If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward. Again, heat should be put into the system gradually - increasingly hard stops with cool off time in between. Part of the idea is to avoid prolonged contact between pad and disc. With abrasive pads (which should not be used on high performance cars) the disc can be considered bedded when the friction surfaces have attained an even blue color. With the carbon metallic type pads, bedding is complete when the friction surfaces of the disc are a consistent gray or black. In any case, the discoloration of a completely broken in disc will be complete and uniform.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Halfway down.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Instructor

So I think 8 to 10 stops from 60 mph to a 5-10 mph roll should do the thing. I'll probably drive around for at least ten w/o braking hard to let them cool.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

My experience... since I did the braking system 3 times so far.

Go easy for the first 500 miles, then rebleed the brakes...
Old 05-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Sweet ride. This is also the third time that I am having the brakes replaced, but this time I'm doing it right and going with something besides stock, which IMO blows even for spirited street driving. Hopefully the Brembos will serve me well, and thanks for the advice.

"Keep her on the trail, shiny side up" as we say in go fast sleigh riding