Bad Dealer Alert - First Acura Seekonk, MA

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Dealer Alert - First Acura Seekonk, MA

Everyone in the MA, RI area do not go to this dealership!!!! Let me tell you what happened.

Oct./06, brought my car to dealer for routine maintenance on a Thursday. They give me a loaner for the night. Call me the next morning telling me they're gonna replace the tranny under warranty. I'll like cool, get to keep the car for the weekend. So the next Wednesday, car is all set, go pick it up and on the drive home the tranny craps out. The dealer towed the car back to the shop and replaced the ECU or something. They deliver my car the next day to my work. Very impressed with their service and the employees, handling everything professionally.

Ok, here's where it gets bad. Two weeks later I get a letter from the District Attorney, requesting my presence in court. There were two names that I didn't recognize. So I have no idea why or how I'm involved in this case. I call the DA, they're asking me if my car was vandalized, stolen or damaged in any way. I had no idea what she was talking about. She said she couldn't give out the information and that I had to get the police report for my self from the Seekonk Police Dept. So I took some time from work the next morning to figure out what the hell is going on. I get the report and start reading it in my car.

It says, "two guys went to the First Acura Dealership in Seekonk, jacked my car up, took off my wheels, and put my car on top of milk crates. As they were taking the wheels off the car in front of mine, the cops showed up and arrested them in the act." By the way, the dealership hadn't told me thing about this. By this time, I was so heated, I went down to the dealership as it was only down the street. I ask the Service Reps if they know what the hell went on, they had no idea. I talk to the manager, who showed up to the scene the night of the incident. He apologized for not telling me and said he "dropped the ball." He said he didn't think there was any damage and should have told me but "forgot." Then he says the dealership is not responsible because of a piece of paper I signed when I dropped the car off. Now, anyone can tell you I'm a really calm guy and very easy to get along with, but this put me over the edge. I was so mad I left, told them I'd be in contact.

I couldn't really see the damage myself because it was raining out and I wasn't about to let me car go in their shop again so I went to a friends shop the next morning. The guys didn't even jack the car in the right area. They put the jack on the plastic rocker panels. You could see the impressions the jacks left in the plastic. On the drivers side, they pushed the floor pan up a in the backseat footwell area. Then I noticed on the brake shields, which are slightly bigger than the rotors, were flat on the bottom, like it was set on the ground. I called the insurance company right away and was able to get a check by the end of the week.

Went to court, the two kids were there but I don't think they knew who I was. Anyway, months and several court dates go by. The last case, this past Dec., ordered them to pay for all damages, lost wages, deductible, everything. I agreed that as long as they pay me, the state won't charge them with a felony because they were trying to go to school in RI, and can't get Financial Aid with a felony. The owed me personally roughly $1500 for everything, and of course I inflated it. Well it’s been about a year now, and I’ve only received half the money. One of the kids has a warrant out for his arrest until he gets me the money. I tried to be the nice guy after these kids made some stupid mistakes and I get F*%#ed. Never again, no longer will I be the nice guy.

So that’s my story. Don't go to First Acura, and if you've been stop going. If you're going back after reading this then, ask Bill Breen, one of the service managers what happened. See if you here a different story, and let me know.

When I get home tonight I'll try and post pics....
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn....what the f
Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, that certainly sucks. I don't know if there's details you've left out but I don't fully understand why you're so pissed at the dealership. They should have told, yes, but it doesn't sound like you ever gave them a chance to do anything about remedying the situation.

Certainly the kids in question deserve a huge pile of ire. I don't know why you would have ever tried to be the nice guy in this situation. How you could deem these low life scum buckets to be worthy of any trust or leniency is a bit hard for me to understand. I don't think this falls into the category of stupid kids making a foolish, youthful mistake. It's more like stupid kids being criminals. Let em lie in the bed they made.

I'm sure if you're ever in another situation where you can make that call again, you won't be burned twice.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

I kept in contact with the dealer and they said they the only possible thing they could do to remedy the situation is to offer me a wash and wax service and this was only after threating them with going public with this information. That's why I'm upset with the dealer.

I even called Acura customer care, the 800 number, and they basically told me that they are not responsible for how each individual dealer handles situations like that.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
140,000 miles young

Wow i mean we've all heard of shady dealers but I think this might take the cake.

LukeaTron the dealer is completely at fault and I would be royally pissed at them. I mean not only did they not report what happened, they didn't even check the car and see if there was anything damaged (rocker panels, floor pan, brake heat shields) before they let our boy Danjo here drive off like nothing ever happened. I don't think the dealer ever would have done anything about "remedying" the situation.

.ucking ridiculous I hope you get what you are owed Danjo and that your car got fixed up.

makes me extra angry to hear this cause I just moved from RI and I plan on moving back there eventually - I could easily have gone to this Acura dealer. Thanks for the heads up to everyone.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DANJOCLS
I kept in contact with the dealer and they said they the only possible thing they could do to remedy the situation is to offer me a wash and wax service and this was only after threating them with going public with this information. That's why I'm upset with the dealer.

I even called Acura customer care, the 800 number, and they basically told me that they are not responsible for how each individual dealer handles situations like that.
Yeah, so that changes the situation a bit. Pretty much every dealer has some sort of boiler plate release of liability for your vehicle while it sits on their lot. I suspect their butts were well enough covered that, legally speaking, they weren't obliged to offer or tell you anything at all. None the less, from a PR point of view it's kind of mind boggling that they didn't permanently glue their lips to your ass. The effect to their bottom line of having their reputation publicly smeared is immeasurably larger than what it would cost to make you happy again.

Whoever made the call on that one is dumb as a sack of particularly stupid rocks. I hope the decision ruins some one's career.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by underst8
Wow i mean we've all heard of shady dealers but I think this might take the cake.

LukeaTron the dealer is completely at fault and I would be royally pissed at them. I mean not only did they not report what happened, they didn't even check the car and see if there was anything damaged (rocker panels, floor pan, brake heat shields) before they let our boy Danjo here drive off like nothing ever happened. I don't think the dealer ever would have done anything about "remedying" the situation.

.ucking ridiculous I hope you get what you are owed Danjo and that your car got fixed up.

makes me extra angry to hear this cause I just moved from RI and I plan on moving back there eventually - I could easily have gone to this Acura dealer. Thanks for the heads up to everyone.
Morally at fault, certainly. Legally, it's a much grayer area. You sign a contract that says the dealer will take reasonable care to make sure that vehicle is safe but that there are situations that are beyond their control and you agree not to hold them liable. Things like weather, vandalism and some one plowing through the parking lot while drunk (this actually happened near me a few years ago) are going to be specifically excluded from things you can blame on the dealer.

It's pretty unconscionable that they didn't inform him of the incident, even on the most basic level as a matter of safety. I would think there would be some serious money changing hands if the vehicle had subsequently failed in manner that caused that damage or injury. That would be borderline criminal negligence.

But as far as the dealers legal obligation to fix anything at all, I doubt they have any at all. Obviously though, the real life ramifications extend quite a bit further than what they are obliged by law to do. This would have been a relatively cheap problem to make go away compared to the mess it's going to become now.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Morally at fault, certainly. Legally, it's a much grayer area. You sign a contract that says the dealer will take reasonable care to make sure that vehicle is safe but that there are situations that are beyond their control and you agree not to hold them liable. Things like weather, vandalism and some one plowing through the parking lot while drunk (this actually happened near me a few years ago) are going to be specifically excluded from things you can blame on the dealer.
I think you nailed it with your 1st line.

It's not a fun call to make to tell some one that some thing bad happened to their car, but you have to do it with the faith that they will appreciate your honesty.

I had a customer who's 6 speed TL Navi got run into by a F250 on the lot and had the hood crumpled, it was a new car, he hadn't even picked it up yet. It sucks, but you have to make the call and explain the situation.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80600289274386

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80630354045506

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80638943980114

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80656123849330

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80724843326194

http://picasaweb.google.com/aanjod/A...80754908097314

Here are some pics of the damage
Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I had a customer who's 6 speed TL Navi got run into by a F250 on the lot
Which is why I said "fuck Fords" in my thread about getting hit by an F350, Escape, Crown Vic, and various other Fords. Mostly while I was stopped.

~Cheers~
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was it the kids who left the jack indents?
honestly, i would be mad too if someone did that to my car while at the dealership. but even so, every single dealership would be the same about someone vandalizing or stealing anything from your car. thats why they make you sign that release form.......
Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

yeah...those indents in the pictures were from the kids...

I understand that the dealership has to watch its own ass, but the reason I'm spreading the word is because they didn't tell me, and probably wouldn't have told me unless I brought it up...that is why it was messed up...
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Back in an Ac!

wow, dude, i would have started swinging if i was in your shoes. what customer care told you sounds familiar as i had to do the same with mitsubishi for my girl's eclipse. they, somehow, are NEVER responsible for what a private dealer does to you or your car. they could have straightup totalled it and it would not have been their fault. dont ask me how, thats the way it is. they def should have told you about what happened though.