Autocross Rookie School Info (CT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross Rookie School Info (CT)

I'm attending the FCSCC (Fairfield County Sports Car Club) Rookie School on Saturday March 20th. I have a few friends that went last year, and said it was an awesome experience.

http://www.fcscc.com/04rschool.htm

It's $30 for the entire day and lunch is included. I went to one of their AutoX events last year, and they are a great bunch of people. Very friendly and helpful. I've been to a few other AutoX events before, but this was the best.

It's in Waterbury, CT which is a bit of a drive from NY but it's not terribly far.

Here's the schedule for the day:

8:00 Registration opens
9:00 Brief welcome and instructions
Complete registration, car preparation and tech inspection
Driver's Meeting and introduction to instructors
Exercise I (skidpad for Group 1; slalom for Group 2)
Exercise II (Groups 1 & 2 switch)
Lunch (brief on-site pizza break)
Mini-Autocross Event (usually three runs)
Fun Runs (ride along with an instructor)
Trophy presentations & clean-up

All of the instructions on how to register are in the link if anyone is interested. Just thought I'd share, as it seems like a really good time.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, not sure if this belongs here or the meet forum, but I put it here because it gets more hits... Please feel free to move if need-be.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

sounds like a fun time but I just put on the tires and dont want to beat on them that quick.

do they show you how to autoX or just let you do whatever

$30 sounds pretty good for all day and lunch....too bad its a hike or I would just come out and check it out
Old 02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by lou
sounds like a fun time but I just put on the tires and dont want to beat on them that quick.

do they show you how to autoX or just let you do whatever

$30 sounds pretty good for all day and lunch....too bad its a hike or I would just come out and check it out
Yeah.. I know it's kind of far, but a bunch of my friends kept raving about it, and since I'm in Danbury much of the time, it isn't too bad a hike.

There is sort of a class at first, then you ride with an instructor, then do 3 runs and a final with the instructor. The best times get a trophy
Old 02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Do you use your own car?

Mazda sponsors "Mazda Rev-It-Up" each year, but every year they bring cars for you to use. Last year it was the Mazda 6. All automatics, though...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah. They want to teach you how to AutoX properly using your car.

I've competed in 1 event last year, and it doesn't cause damage other than early tire wear
Old 02-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this seems like fun, i always wanted to get into autoX and this just might be the ticket!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Pro

for anyone interested, this is a great, safe, legal way to explore the real limits of your car, tires, and suspension. I would highly suggest taking advantage of it. The downside to AutoXing is you get little seat time considering you are there all day. But it's a good time, you will meet some cool people, see some cool cars and learn. You will be surprised how some POS car with a good driver will beat some rediculous cars.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by thatguy
this seems like fun, i always wanted to get into autoX and this just might be the ticket!
I definitely recommend checking it out if the weather is nice and you don't have anything else to do that day. I'll definitely be there - I already signed up. It's a great way to learn and be able to mess up without looking stupid.

I'll be the guy in a Silver 350z
Old 02-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Ray Khan
for anyone interested, this is a great, safe, legal way to explore the real limits of your car, tires, and suspension. I would highly suggest taking advantage of it. The downside to AutoXing is you get little seat time considering you are there all day. But it's a good time, you will meet some cool people, see some cool cars and learn. You will be surprised how some POS car with a good driver will beat some rediculous cars.

I had such a great experience when I did it last year for the first time. Unfortunately, the first time I went was the last event of the season, so I've been feening to do it again all winter.

Just to show you it's more about the car, my friend borrowed his gf's 2.0L Jetta (the 115 or so hp one), and beat my time in my Z for the first 2 runs. He's an expert, so it shows that driver skill can mean a whole lot.