autocross car build up question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:20 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
autocross car build up question

We run Ohio Valley Region(Columbus) of SCCA
Okay we're(my racing crew) running a modded 89 CRX Si(which is pretty quick for the class we run in) we got a DC sport Intake, springs,DC sport headers, exhaust, lightweight rims,and high performance tires,racing seats and buckles(5 point), sways and strut bar bars(front and rear) and cross drill rotors all the way around
(we estimate it dynos around 120-130 HP) we run Street prepared class.

only thing is I wanna get another car(this will be a ONLY RAN ON THE RACE TRACK) because we got like 6 guys running 1 car.
I priced a new Civic Si(race ready would be 35 grand without tax)
Civic Si:20 grand
seat rails(both passenger and driver):200
sparco seats with buckles: 2000
rims:2000(17s)(to fit the brembos)
tires: 1000
DC short throw shifter:70
Brembo big brakes kit: 2800
DC strut bar front:225
DC strut bar rear:250
DC headers:500
DC exhaust system:500
Eibach coilovers(it's adjustable but i'd probably keep it at 2 inch all the way around: 5000
Eibach sways(front and rear):500
DC CAI:500

here's the thing I don't think I wanna dump 35 grand in a "trailer only" car. There's a guy in the OVR(he ran 2 weekends ago) with a new Z06. He won nationals we estimate he has atleast 80 grand in his "trailer only" car. he put down the best time of the day on saturday(like a 37 or 38. I ran a 51 with the CRX(another guy that's on my crew ran a 44 with the CRX (but he's been autocrossing as long as i've been alive).

here's the question :
do you guys have any recommendations that's cheaper than a new Si:
Something I can get aftermarket parts for easy. I don't like Rear Wheel drives in autocross.(we run on anything but snow/ice or lighting) so if it rains the rear wheel drives are pretty slow. and the WRXs and Evos kick @ss. (if you know about SCCA they run WRX Sti in the same class as Z06 if it's dry the Z06 SMOKES them almost everytime but if it's a little wet the WRX will beat them.)
plus I'd like to stay with Honda,Acura, Toyota, or Nissan.
(WRX is owned by GM and I've heard quality problems with them).
Evos are okay just they run in the class with regular WRXs(not Sti's) and regular Vettes(which is a hellish class).
I need advice guys
thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: autocross car build up question

Originally posted by Water-S

only thing is I wanna get another car(this will be a ONLY RAN ON THE RACE TRACK) because we got like 6 guys running 1 car.
I priced a new Civic Si(race ready would be 35 grand without tax)

here's the thing I don't think I wanna dump 35 grand in a "trailer only" car. There's a guy in the OVR(he ran 2 weekends ago) with a new Z06. He won nationals we estimate he has atleast 80 grand in his "trailer only" car. he put down the best time of the day on saturday(like a 37 or 38. I ran a 51 with the CRX(another guy that's on my crew ran a 44 with the CRX (but he's been autocrossing as long as i've been alive).

here's the question :
do you guys have any recommendations that's cheaper than a new Si:

(WRX is owned by GM and I've heard quality problems with them).
Evos are okay just they run in the class with regular WRXs(not Sti's) and regular Vettes(which is a hellish class).
I need advice guys
thanks.
First off, Evos and STI's run AStock, along with the C4 Vette, the C5 is in SS and the WRX is in DStock. With the WRX you can always compete in STX too, since it sounds like you guys are looking to mod the car as well.

There is a local racer that consistently makes it to nationals in a Celica GT in GS. Personally i would go with a plain SE-R. There are a ton of people around here that race neons, but those are :ghey:.

I wouldnt recomend buying a new car, because you will destroy it in no time flat.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:44 PM
go like hell

i got an idea.
use my daily driver then get a new daily driver.
Here's the thing I'm gonna rebuild my motor(when I do I'm gonna bore it like 40 thousands over), Then run Forged everything bottom end(like rods,pistons, and crank) kick up the compression to 10.1 or 11.1. then swap the automatic tranny for a Prelude manual.
port and polish heads, put a healthy cam in it.
does anyone know where I can get custom F22 motor pistons?

The thing was with the Civic Si(new ) I was gonna either junk my daily driver(because it will have over 300 k on it.) or sell it to some poor college kid.
I'd still have to get a new daily driver. This way I can build a full custom Accord run FSM(F class Street Mod) I'd put down over 200 HP. and I could probably build the entire car ready to roll on the track for probably around 20 grand.
because I'll buy a new block bore it,Forged pistons,crank,rods:4000
get a new(from Honda ) Prelude manuel(and ECU and all that BS):
HKS springs: (1.25 inch all the way around ) 300 bucks
sways(front and rear):300 bucks
strut bars(front and rear)300 bucks
AEM CAI (V2):250
brembo big brakes:2800
performance axle shafts:800
Neuspeed clutch:700
Neuspeed short throw shifter:120
Greddy headers: 375
high flow cat:100 bucks
Greddy pipe:550
I got a guy on my team who owns a body shop so he'll pop small dents and crap like that for like couple hundred bucks
Chromolusion paint: 10,000( that looks HELLA COOL)(it's the paint that switches colors on the way you look at)
rims:2000 bucks
tires:1000
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Hey Water-S, I was at Cooper Stadium last Saturday. That Z06 was bad! I ran a 48 with my CL on street tires. I'm a little rusty though. Haven't auto-xed in a couple years. I would say get something affordable or just fully prep the CRX. I've seen well prepared CRXs take fast time of the day before. Practice a lot. Auto-x is mostly driving skill. I have an Antracite CL with SSR comps. I'll probably be at a few events this year.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:40 AM
go like hell

Originally posted by ChadT
Hey Water-S, I was at Cooper Stadium last Saturday. That Z06 was bad! I ran a 48 with my CL on street tires. I'm a little rusty though. Haven't auto-xed in a couple years. I would say get something affordable or just fully prep the CRX. I've seen well prepared CRXs take fast time of the day before. Practice a lot. Auto-x is mostly driving skill. I have an Antracite CL with SSR comps. I'll probably be at a few events this year.
hey man I saw a 03 CL with a 6 speed and rims there and I thought about asking if you were on Acura-cl.com
not too bad of a run for being a little rusty a 48 respectable. I liked the course except that DAMN "S" curve after the choice of which way to run on the shloaum(sp)(the 1st one) I spun the CRX 2 times of the 6 i ran in that "S" curve. because you come out of that shloaum(sp) roaring and then you gotta get into the brakes them whip it to the right and it's hard to do fast and not spin it. plus that corner was a little wet. I worked that corner heat 1(of the 1st session and 2nd session) people were really losing it or sliding hardcore through that curve.
sometime we'll have to meet up and go out for dinner after a race man.

now question to everyone else:
What class would a 00 or 01 Type R with Headers,exhaust,sways,springs,strut bars,CAI, rims,brembo brake kit, racing tires, and 17 inch rims(to accomidate for the brembo big rotors). and Sparco seats.
and what other cars are running in that class.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:08 PM

http://mouton.best.vwh.net/sccasolo/Rules/index.html
This is the 03 rules, there maybe updates for 04
Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
nothing

for pistons talk to bisimoto on honda-tech, hes running something like 18:1 (not that youd run anything near that) in his n/a f22, but im sure je and other co. make some
Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

I liked the course except that DAMN "S" curve after the choice of which way to run on the shloaum(sp)(the 1st one) I spun the CRX 2 times of the 6 i ran in that "S" curve. because you come out of that shloaum(sp) roaring and then you gotta get into the brakes them whip it to the right and it's hard to do fast and not spin it.
Yeah that corner was a blast. If the back starts sliding on a front wheel drive you need to floor the gas. That will usually straighten it up.

[/QUOTE]now question to everyone else:
What class would a 00 or 01 Type R with Headers,exhaust,sways,springs,strut bars,CAI, rims,brembo brake kit, racing tires, and 17 inch rims(to accomidate for the brembo big rotors). and Sparco seats.
[/QUOTE]

A Type R with those mods would be in STS or STR depending on tires. You might also be able to run ESP with the modded mustangs.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:31 PM
go like hell

Originally posted by ChadT
Yeah that corner was a blast. If the back starts sliding on a front wheel drive you need to floor the gas. That will usually straighten it up.

now question to everyone else:
[/QUOTE]

A Type R with those mods would be in STS or STR depending on tires. You might also be able to run ESP with the modded mustangs.
[/QUOTE]
STS is what the CRX runs.
Amy(my g/f) uncle runs a WILD mustang. if you go on OVR's website that red mustang(like mid 80's guessing) I rode with him he ran a low 40s in it(like a 43 or 44) it was CRAZY. Mike(he's another guy who runs in the CRX) he was "off" on that run. usually that Mustang can keep up with the Z06 that had best time of the day. and the Mustang an automatic.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

STS is what the CRX runs.
Amy(my g/f) uncle runs a WILD mustang. if you go on OVR's website that red mustang(like mid 80's guessing) I rode with him he ran a low 40s in it(like a 43 or 44) it was CRAZY. Mike(he's another guy who runs in the CRX) he was "off" on that run. usually that Mustang can keep up with the Z06 that had best time of the day. and the Mustang an automatic.
Yeah STS pretty much covers anything under 3.1 liters runing on street tires. (treadwear rating of 180 or higher). Looks like a modded Type R would actualy run in CSP with race tires. From looking at the class it seems like it would be pretty competitive. You can check the classes here: http://mouton.best.vwh.net/sccasolo/...3/stprepc.html Big brakes might be illegal though and are totally unnecessary. Remember you're only braking from 50mph at the most. A road course is a different story though. That Mustang was badass! I was working that corner following the first slalom in the first session. That car lifted the front wheel when the driver hit the gas after that corner. Our instructer told me that car was national champ once. I had to leave early so I didn't run in the afternoon. Look forward to seeing you guys at the next event.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro

a friend and I are going to split a miata for a dedicated street legal track car for autoX and road course. They are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to mod and cheap to fix (engines and tranny's are cheap). For less than $10 we should have 12 sec car that is good in the curves as well.