Attn NY&LI Guys... (Cell Phone Question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn NY&LI Guys... (Cell Phone Question)

Im gonna be down in LI a lot, Nassua county soon adn my cell phone was getting pretty crappy service (nextel). Anyone have good service down there with another company?

Thanks,
Jarod
Old 07-30-2001, 10:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I find Voicestream or Verizon to be good....but heard Verizon is better overall for the Island- VS has more dead zones....plus Verizon finally has some phones (besides the Startac) that aren't the size of Army CB's- "Woodchuck to Gray Squirrel."

I had AT&T for years....sucks.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Beltfed ]
Old 07-30-2001, 10:36 PM
Banned

Thanks, see Nextel is ok around the metro area but once you go up past Albany they have no service, cause they dont have towers yet. These phone stores must get some commission for selling them cause thats all they say, but they arent as good as ATT, Verizon, etc. Which you cant expect them to be when you think about it, how can you compare some new phone company Nextel to ATT or Verizon two phone company monopolies. Is there any where were I can see the phones ATT and Verizon offer? The one store I usually go to doesnt offer a lot of them. THanks,

Jarod
Old 07-30-2001, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

jrod178,

Not to get TOO far off subject here, but I was just wondering how much of a dent in your bank account that AWESOME 1/2 page long signature set you back ???

My quick math says about 10K+
Am I close ??

Shawn S
Old 07-30-2001, 10:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jrod178:
<STRONG>Thanks, see Nextel is ok around the metro area but once you go up past Albany they have no service, cause they dont have towers yet. These phone stores must get some commission for selling them cause thats all they say, but they arent as good as ATT, Verizon, etc. Which you cant expect them to be when you think about it, how can you compare some new phone company Nextel to ATT or Verizon two phone company monopolies. Is there any where were I can see the phones ATT and Verizon offer? The one store I usually go to doesnt offer a lot of them. THanks,

Jarod</STRONG>
Well for now you can see them on the web at
http://www.verizon.com
http://www.attwireless.com

I just noticed all those mods on your car....so for you, I would say only the Verizon (Motorola V60c will do)....seems like your into all the electronic goodies and shit thats out there.

For AT&T- the Nokia 8260 is their nicest phone at the moment.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Beltfed ]
Old 07-30-2001, 10:54 PM
Banned

Yes, its above 10k but money WELL spent. For anyone out there looking to upgrade their car performance wise, it makes it a completely different car with the comptech products and others I have. Its not the fastest on the road, but its a REAL pleasure to drive. I love everything Ive done to my car, and wouldnt change a thing. I get a lot of compliments on it and I cant wait to meet some of you guys at the next meet. It would be nice if Park Ave would have another. My car was in the shop at the time.

Beltfed, thanks for the advice I appreciate it. And yes I do love my electronic toys. I have a Nextel handsfree kit that has its own microphone/speaker/power source in the car that I dont have listed in my SIG. Its a nice little peice. BTW, your Viper is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I love that car, its very nice. Im always over at viperclub.org I hope to get one in a few years, do you have a different name over there? Thanks for the help and if anyone has any questions about the mods feel free to ask, I love to help out a fellow car enthusiast.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:23 PM
Banned

Wow, that V60c is something else. Im getting that thing!! I dont care if it doesnt have service, FM radio?!?!?!? Thats awesome. Thanks,

Jarod
Old 07-31-2001, 12:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you're not too concerned about the 2way radio go with one of the following (listed in order of best to worst reception):
Verizon (cust svc is very good)
MCI (cust svc sucks)
Sprint (lots of free minutes)
Voicestream (also lots of free minutes)
Cingular (too new to tell)
AT&T (sucks overall)
As for phones, its basically a matter of taste. I prefer Motorola phones for their good reception, simplicity, and durability. I use the V60c which has a lot of new features like voice dialing, voice recorder, 400# memory, caller id on the outside, FM radio w/ optional headset, etc. But the reception w/ the v8160 is a little better. If you're looking for one of the more expensive phones, let me know.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I appreciate the comments on the Viper, my handle is different over at Viperclub.org (JG)....its a great site, some of the guys over there have some crazy rides.

Anyway, I figured you would like the V60c... made out of aluminum- gotta love it.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:04 AM
Banned

cl-driver,
Im definetly interested in the V60c, can you get them or something?

thanks,
Jarod
Old 07-31-2001, 10:44 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Im gonna be down in LI a lot, Nassua county soon adn my cell phone was getting pretty crappy service (nextel). Anyone have good service down there with another company?
my nextel must be magical.... granted I have lost some service after they upgraded to multi-user direct connect feature but its awesome everywhere, anywhere and at any time... Maybe they just liked me and decided to give me the special phone.... dont change from nextel.. you regret losing the features!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 12:13 PM
do it yourself, !

Originally posted by Casper98CL:
<STRONG>

my nextel must be magical.... granted I have lost some service after they upgraded to multi-user direct connect feature but its awesome everywhere, anywhere and at any time... Maybe they just liked me and decided to give me the special phone.... dont change from nextel.. you regret losing the features!!!</STRONG>

Hahahha..now you just jinxed yourself and now your service is going to suck. :p jk..my voicestream is the same way. Everyone is
complaining about how it sucks and they don't get reception, but I've got all bars almost everywhere.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

jrod178,
The V60c retails for about $650 (Verizon svc) and $600 (MCI svc). The V8160 retails for about $100 (Verizon svc) and $150 (MCI svc). But I can get it for you cheaper and include all the aftermarket accessories (car cord, leather case, headset). Original accessories cost a little more so I'd have to charge you for them.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

jrod,

Do you have any pics? How do you like the alpine system? Did you find a good place for your V1 remote display?

thanks!

For phones, I found the nokia's are more water resistant I killed two motorola's with the wet stuff!
Old 07-31-2001, 06:34 PM
Banned

No pictures yet, Tomorrow im gonna zaino then post some. Alpine stuff is top of the line, I love my deck and Navi. I was gonna get their DVD player but it cost about 700 more then mine now and it does the same thing. Also, the dvd unit is wider and mine just fits in the center console between the rear seats.

Jarod
Old 07-31-2001, 06:37 PM
Banned

cl-driver,
How much can you get the V60c for. I checked out verizons page and you can get just the phone with power cord, case. No handsfree or fm ear peice for ~420. Can you get prices better then that?

Thanks,
Jarod
Old 07-31-2001, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Jrod,

Where do you have your V1 remote display mounted?

thanks!
Old 07-31-2001, 08:28 PM
Banned

I knew I forgot something in that reply, sorry about that. The remote display is mounted in that little area right under the ash try, in my car its not an ashtry but thatever that little cave type thing is in front of the shifter, sorry dont know how to describe it better. Kinda looks cool down there.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I mounted mine just under the dash visor, over the green-key in the right side gauge cluster. I ran the wire into the center air vent, then behind the dash to the fuse panel.

Can't wait to see pics of your alpine system!