Attn C.A.I. owners with AEM safety valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 11:40 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Attn C.A.I. owners with AEM safety valve

At work today one of my coworkers was assigned a job to repair an Integra that apparently wanted to redline the engine all by itself.We went out to the car (it was towed in) and had a look under the hood.Our initial inspection revealed the following: the car was equipped with an AEM cold air intake with an AEM safety valve.The throttle was stuck at about 3/4 of the way to wide open throttle.On a second look Chris and I noticed that the safety valve looked strange.As it turns out the safety valve had cracked into two pieces allowing the rubber flaps inside to get drawn into the intake.Fortuanately the throttle plate prevented the rubber portion of the valve from getting into the intake but this rubber piece jammed the throttle plate at 3/4 open.needless to say this is a tremendously dangerous situation.As near as I can tell the safety valve failed due to improper installation but we have no way of knowing for sure.If you car is equipped with this valve take a minute to inspect it to make certain it is not cracked anywhere underneath the gray foam cover.I have not seen any other failures of this sort but after looking the broken valve over I can see how a less than perfect installation can cause this to happen.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-16-2001, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sux..... Do ya think that engine flex due to a bad motor mount or something like that caused this? You would think that the person installing it would have noticed that it was cracked. So what could put that much pressure on the valve?
The filter replacement and removing the resonator is looking better all the time.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-16-2001, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking that I should wait for the Comptech unit (with built in hydro-lock protection).

My second thank you to you!

(Experience rules)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • 14.8lb 17x8" SSR Competition rims on the way
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-17-2001, 02:19 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

How many times do I need to tell you that the bypass is only for those that submerge their cars.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-17-2001, 02:37 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
How many times do I need to tell you that the bypass is only for those that submerge their cars.

</font>
Heheh I ordered my AEM CAI and did NOT get the Bi-pass valve because of what you have said, and the reason of not needing it

I don't plan on driving in any lakes or rivers anytime soon.

and now reading this post has made me feel better about my decision!

Old 03-17-2001, 02:38 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
so by "safety valve" you mean "bypass valve" right?

thats some scary shit! thanks for the heads up.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-17-2001, 11:27 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Just go and have a look where the filter sits--it is completely encased by the plastic underbody. I'm not sure water would get in there even if you drove through deep water for a short period of time.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-17-2001, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Apparently there are some issues with these cai's and water problems. Every dealer I've been to has stories on guys that hydolocked their engines. I truly do not think that all of these people went boating. As Jens has posted before, it takes only a small amount of water to trash ya engine. I still do not understand all the issuse with this, but I'm sure the design flaw will come out someday. AEM one of the larger maufactures of cai's is trying to address an apparent problem with the bypass valve, so they must know something we don't. YMMV.... good luck...

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 03-17-2001, 12:35 PM
Drifting

I disagree. My Integra was dropped 2.5". One day I went over a BIG puddle and all I did was let go of the gas, and I was fine. All the people that ruined engines from water, went over BIG puddles hitting the gas.

spiro
Old 03-17-2001, 12:41 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The latest CL-S CAI from AEM did NOT have the the bypass-valve. I think that if the danger of sucking water with CLS CAI is high(more than 10-20%) you would be assured that AEM's Corporate counseler will require the installation of such protection against customer filing suits for liable "Engine Damage" due to defects in their deisgn.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 03-17-2001, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Like I said I don't know all the facts around this problem, but I appears to be happening to a lot of people. The whole thing seems strange that they say the whole filter needs to be submerged. Like what are the chances of that? I think water must be getting sucked up like a shop vac or something. And like Jens said it only takes a tea cup amount of water to fill a cylinder. The only time the bypass valve will save ya is when the filter is totally submerged causing the air pressure to open the valve. So if that is true ya might see people with bypass valves hydolock their engines also. That would be a real kick in the butt. Sorry for rambling, drank lots of coffee this morning

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 03-17-2001, 01:26 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
Like I said I don't know all the facts around this problem, but I appears to be happening to a lot of people.
</font>

Who has it happened to? I still think the bypass is a great way for AEM to charge 40$ for a 1$ piece of equipment. As mentioned, if this was a big problem why wouldn't they include the bypass for all applications?

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 03-17-2001, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
Apparently there are some issues with these cai's and water problems. Every dealer I've been to has stories on guys that hydolocked their engines. I truly do not think that all of these people went boating. As Jens has posted before, it takes only a small amount of water to trash ya engine. I still do not understand all the issuse with this, but I'm sure the design flaw will come out someday. AEM one of the larger maufactures of cai's is trying to address an apparent problem with the bypass valve, so they must know something we don't. YMMV.... good luck...

</font>
Usually people who lower civics, accords, integra's lower it too much and plus I think they sit lower to the ground than us when stock.

You gotta remember even w/ our comptech springs we still have a alot of clearance.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-17-2001, 01:34 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
Just go and have a look where the filter sits--it is completely encased by the plastic underbody. I'm not sure water would get in there even if you drove through deep water for a short period of time.

</font>
Now when you say "Completely Encased by the plastic underbody" What piece are you refering to? The Stock Airbox? The plastic wheel Insert?
Old 03-17-2001, 02:07 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
water can still get into the cassings guys. The bypass valve is a great safety precaution. What if your driving and a dowbpore comes and theres a giant dip in the road w/ about 1' of water? Trust me your gonna regret it.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:09 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I started this post so that those of you who have retrofitted your cars have a heads up on a potential problem with this safety/bypass valve.The valve costs roughly 40 to 60 dollars depending upon where you shop.An engine for a CL/S is as you can imagine is quite a bit more.The air filter with an C.A.I. is relocated to the lower inner fender behind the splash shield.This area is not enclosed as previously mentioned in this post.In fact there are plenty of ways for water to get to your air filter.The choice ofcourse is yours a 40 to 60 dollar valve that if properly installed will save your engine or take a chance.I plan on installing the AEM system in my personal car and it will have the valve.Granted most of you will not be using your cars as substitute u-boats but here is the deal as I have mentioned in another post.Last year we replaced two engines due to hydrolock caused by inadvertant water ingestion.Both cars were equipped with cold air induction neither had a safety/bypass valve.Both cars were repaired at the owners cost.I really don't think either car owner had any intention of playing u-boat captain.So check out your valves and happy motoring.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on