CLICK HERE!
Old 06-06-2001, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
Looks like a good starting point!

CLICK HERE!
</font>
We a dependable server. Gateway servers are crap. Not trying to get picky but we all want this site to have the best uptime available. We are going for a Compaq Proliant DL360.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-06-2001, 01:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
damn that is a damn good deal.

but I know jack shit about server architecture... and i cant pretend too.

toker seems to really have it in for gateways... so there must be a reason.

and hes the one hosting/maintaining the machine once I get it to him. so we must obey

I just wish we could find something like the Compaq for less then what weve found so far.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI
Old 06-06-2001, 02:06 PM
on bin laden

We're using Compaq Proliant ML370s, what prices have you found so far?

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 06-06-2001, 02:09 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
$1500 for what WebToker mentioned.

Thats been the donation goal so far. Even so... we wanna raise at least that much because we will need to add a second processory soon.

Thats why were gettin a dual board.
Old 06-06-2001, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez... the proliants kick ass!
seriously...
Old 06-06-2001, 03:59 PM
on bin laden

not bad, wish i would've known about 2 months ago, we got rid of some compaq servers, but they weren't rack mounted anyways ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
$1500 for what WebToker mentioned.

Thats been the donation goal so far. Even so... we wanna raise at least that much because we will need to add a second processory soon.

Thats why were gettin a dual board.
</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02
Old 06-06-2001, 04:19 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Soop, if u can get the one on slickdeals, get it. The only things you'd prolly need to add are another hard drive (or a few more depending on the level of redundancy, RAID you want) and of course the RAID controller.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:35 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HellaWhat:
Soop, if u can get the one on slickdeals, get it. The only things you'd prolly need to add are another hard drive (or a few more depending on the level of redundancy, RAID you want) and of course the RAID controller.</font>

They come with integrated RAID controllers.

------------------
Mustang Killa

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

They come with integrate RAID controllers.

</font>
What kind of price have you gotten on the server?

------------------
Looks like I am going to have to carjack my CL-S
Old 06-06-2001, 04:38 PM
Old timer

See your problem is that you're considering buying pre-made, large-corporation systems.

You need to buy parts online and build it yourself (or have a friend do it who knows how to build computers).

The reason being you then know EXACTLY what is in there, you only load software you NEED, and it runs much faster and more reliably than some Gateway/Dell/HP/PackardBell crapbox that's chock full of "freebee" software crap and runs so hot the processor will die in a year.

Just my opinion of course,

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
50% tint sides, 35% back.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
See your problem is that you're considering buying pre-made, large-corporation systems.

You need to buy parts online and build it yourself (or have a friend do it who knows how to build computers).

The reason being you then know EXACTLY what is in there, you only load software you NEED, and it runs much faster and more reliably than some Gateway/Dell/HP/PackardBell crapbox that's chock full of "freebee" software crap and runs so hot the processor will die in a year.

Just my opinion of course,

-J

</font>

I deal with these server all day long. I have also dealt with hand made server and they are nothing but trouble. If I have a problem with the DL360 I can either swap it with parts I have in the office I have a part come from Compaq in less than 24 hours. There are many reason not to piece together a server. Compaq Prolaint servers are solid and if we had the money we would get a Sparc.

------------------
Mustang Killa

Old 06-06-2001, 04:44 PM
Number 37

I deal with these server all day long. I have also dealt with hand made server and they are nothing but trouble. If I have a problem with the DL360 I can either swap it with parts I have in the office I have a part come from Compaq in less than 24 hours. There are many reason not to piece together a server. Compaq Prolaint servers are solid and if we had the money we would get a Sparc.

</font>
I have a few connections at Compaq. I will see what They can do.

------------------
Old 06-06-2001, 04:51 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:
Originally posted by WebToker:

</font>
I have a few connections at Compaq. I will see what They can do.

Please do. The best price I can get on the DL360 PIII 933mhz is around 1500.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-06-2001, 04:55 PM
Number 37

Please do. The best price I can get on the DL360 PIII 933mhz is around 1500.

</font>
Im in scottsdale AZ right now, but will going to my old store here this afternoon. I will make a few calls. Do you have a part number?

------------------

[This message has been edited by nootch (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 04:57 PM
Banned

JRock, There's a big difference between the big boy's servers and their consumer boxes. Presarios, Pavilions, and Aptiva are cheap junk just like you describe. Proprietary as hell and impossible to repair. Servers are actually built and supported better since the stakes are higher. If Compaq screws over a server customer, that person might decide "no more Compaq" for a Fortune 1000 company.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S
Spoiler, Navi, Cupholder 2.0, 35% tint all around
Charter member of the Scratched Rim Club
Old 06-06-2001, 05:05 PM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I deal with these server all day long. I have also dealt with hand made server and they are nothing but trouble. If I have a problem with the DL360 I can either swap it with parts I have in the office I have a part come from Compaq in less than 24 hours. There are many reason not to piece together a server. Compaq Prolaint servers are solid and if we had the money we would get a Sparc.
</font>
You speak from an experience as someone who is used to servicing problems by sending the machine to Compaq or by swapping parts.

Soopa can't very well do that if he wants the served webpages to be online, now can he?

And you have no idea what you're talking about with your so-called "hand-built" crap. ALL computers are hand-built, even Compaqs - they just happen to mass-assemble them in a factory.

The only difference between them doing it and me building my own is that I know I'm putting quality parts in my system, I design my own airflow scheme, and I only install software I want.

Anyway, the quality of the parts themselves and the crap pre-installed on the harddrives are the two main problems with buying from a company.

I have built three computers for my home and they have all run perfectly. If you know what you're doing, you can build something much more reliable than something Compaq mass-produces.

And it's funny you mention Compaqs. They have to be the most-hated brand around for desktops - they run slow and are full of crappy pre-installed software - ask just about any tech who knows his stuff - they'll shudder when you mention the word "Compaq".

I can't believe their server boxes are any better - why would they screw one type of customer yet be reliable for another? That's not good business practice. I wouldn't buy from a company like that.

Dell is ok, Gateway is ok, HP might be ok, Packard Bell and Compaq are junk.

But this is all just my opinion.

But what do I know?
I build my own systems for personal use that run 24-7 and only reboot when I've installed some new software that requires a reboot.
(Or back when I ran Win98 and memory leaks required me to reboot about once a week, as everyone who runs Win98 had to.)

I buy my parts from reliable online resellers and end up paying probably 2/3rds what you pay for a pre-built, bloated system from a company.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 05:13 PM
Drifting

I've been using Compaq servers for about 4 years now, and I have no complaints. Servers dont come with preinstalled software. They come with a smart start cd, which has drivers/agents on there. You can choose what you want on them. I think you are confusing desktops with servers.

Spiro

You speak from an experience as someone who is used to servicing problems by sending the machine to Compaq or by swapping parts.

Soopa can't very well do that if he wants the served webpages to be online, now can he?

And you have no idea what you're talking about with your so-called "hand-built" crap. ALL computers are hand-built, even Compaqs - they just happen to mass-assemble them in a factory.

The only difference between them doing it and me building my own is that I know I'm putting quality parts in my system, I design my own airflow scheme, and I only install software I want.

Anyway, the quality of the parts themselves and the crap pre-installed on the harddrives are the two main problems with buying from a company.

I have built three computers for my home and they have all run perfectly. If you know what you're doing, you can build something much more reliable than something Compaq mass-produces.

And it's funny you mention Compaqs. They have to be the most-hated brand around for desktops - they run slow and are full of crappy pre-installed software - ask just about any tech who knows his stuff - they'll shudder when you mention the word "Compaq".

I can't believe their server boxes are any better - why would they screw one type of customer yet be reliable for another? That's not good business practice. I wouldn't buy from a company like that.

But what do I know?
I build my own systems for personal use that run 24-7 and only reboot when I've installed some new software that requires a reboot.
(Or back when I ran Win98 and memory leaks required me to reboot about once a week, as everyone who runs Win98 had to.)

I buy my parts from reliable online resellers and end up paying probably 2/3rds what you pay for a pre-built, bloated system from a company.

-J

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 05:18 PM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
I've been using Compaq servers for about 4 years now, and I have no complaints. Servers dont come with preinstalled software. They come with a smart start cd, which has drivers/agents on there. You can choose what you want on them. I think you are confusing desktops with servers.

Spiro

</font>
You are right. I have been selling servers for almost 5 years, and the come as bare as you want them to. When you buy compaq servers, the components like hd's and tape backups dont even come installed. Compaq has some of the best servers out there.

------------------
Old 06-06-2001, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Rules for computers.
Server - Compaq
Laptop - Dell
Desktop - Dell

You go w/ anything else and your going downhill. (of course for intel arch.) not unix.

Look at gateway, they have friggen cows as the logo. geez farm and computers don't mix.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:31 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

They come with integrated RAID controllers.

</font>
Toker, it comes with the intergrated SCSI controller. Windows NT Server and Windows 2K have RAID built into the OS. This only supports RAID 0, Striping. For full raid functionality: 1, 0+1 or 5, you need a hardware controller. I looked at that listing, no mention of a raid controller. Also it only comes with one HDD, no raid needed.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:36 PM
Advanced

As much as I despise compaq desktops, they make some of the best servers I have ever worked with. Yes, their server quality IS that much better than their desktop quality. Steer away from Gateway.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Black, Ebony, Navi
- Splash guards
- Wheel locks
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- Weapon-R intake w/K&N
- Comptech Springs
- Comptech Sways
- Neuspeed Strut Tower
- Neuspeed Lower Tie Bar
- De-Badged rear
- Tint all around
- RAZO Shift Knob
Old 06-06-2001, 05:52 PM
Old timer

I wasn't confusing servers with desktops, I was comparing them and saying "I can't believe the same company that makes shitty desktops makes quality servers, but if you all say so I'll take your word for it.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:58 PM
on bin laden

Toker ... no guaranteed phone call in 15 minutes, and guaranteed on site within 4 hours ???? sheesh ... how do you guys sleep at night ??? You have a contract with the Compaq Spare Parts Depot near your airport?

One more thing to all ... I ask questions out of curiosity ... and I know lots of you are experts ... but Calvin (WebToker) is not an idiot, this is his job ... not that isn't willing to listen to our advice, but i doubt he needs it, and I'm sure he'd ask. He needs help with finding a few pieces of hardware. Let's see if we can HELP !

</font>
------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02

[This message has been edited by fbazakos (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 06:16 PM
Drifting

I disagree. I think the best laptops are:
IBM
Toshiba

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Rules for computers.
Server - Compaq
Laptop - Dell
Desktop - Dell

You go w/ anything else and your going downhill. (of course for intel arch.) not unix.

Look at gateway, they have friggen cows as the logo. geez farm and computers don't mix.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 06:17 PM
Banned

What about video capture software? I have a video capture card from work. If you have software that can get it to mpg....

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:18 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Rules for computers.
Server - Compaq
Laptop - Dell
Desktop - Dell

</font>
only fools get brand name desktops.
j/k

but seriuosly, i have been using made desktops, or "clones" for years now, never had a problem. I would never buy a brand name desktop computer either..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
Old 06-06-2001, 06:25 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

My Home system is a Dualie built by myself. I'va had it since 99 and it's great, but for something as important as this server, I'd buy one already built.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:56 PM
Racer

I was going to post that info about the gateway server too. Seems like a really good deal to me.

As far as prebuilt by big companys vs. handbuilt when talking about Intel or AMD based servers, I agree with JRock. I think you can absolutely build something by hand that would be just as good and probably better than a prebuilt server and you could probably do it for less money.

On the down side it is more time consuming to find out what components work well together and you don't get the support/replacement plans that you would with a big manufacturer.

Old 06-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro

well I agree and disagree. Compaqs are very affordable but I have had som eproblems with their servers. However in their defense they have always been real speedy at fixing them so service is wonderful. Ofcourse I am a little biased and think we should get a unix server.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
San Marino red
non nav.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:43 PM
Drifting

But what do I know?

-J

</font>
Ok and I can see this guy has no idea of what its like to manage 100 servers at a time. You keep thinking your way and I will continue to be successful at what I do.

------------------
Mustang Killa

Old 06-06-2001, 08:47 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thholr:
well I agree and disagree. Compaqs are very affordable but I have had som eproblems with their servers. However in their defense they have always been real speedy at fixing them so service is wonderful. Ofcourse I am a little biased and think we should get a unix server.

</font>
It will be a unix server. X86 unix, we don't have the money for a Sparc.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-06-2001, 08:51 PM
on bin laden

Toker,

see my comments at the bottom of the first page.

Ok and I can see this guy has no idea of what its like to manage 100 servers at a time. You keep thinking your way and I will continue to be successful at what I do.

</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02
Old 06-06-2001, 08:53 PM
Drifting

To be honest with you Jrock, I used to think the way you do. In fact I do think the way you do when it comes to desktops. We are talking about rack mount high availability servers here. I know that all those Compaq, Dell, Gateways workstations are no different. When you get a chance open up a Compaq server. Look at the way they are designed. Look at how air flow is dealt with. Also notice how they deal with redundant power. I could go on and on. Yes we could run on a hand built server from parts that have not been tested with each other but why take the chance when you want 24/7 uptime? Along with the fact Compaq is here in Houston and I have a corporate account with them as one of there biggest clients. Either way I could make it work both ways but I would prefer a real server. The fact that the DL360 is only 1 U makes it even better when it comes to rack space. Oh well, I guess I have no idea what I am doing. I have just kept this site up along with Acura-tl.com with my good luck.

------------------
Mustang Killa

Old 06-06-2001, 09:16 PM
Old timer

LOL I didn't say you don't know what you're doing, I only said you're speaking purely from your experience which seems to only include using pre-built servers.
I'm sure you know what you're doing.

I thought Soopa was the one who was housing the server and it was going to be in his house/aptmnt/whatever.

I didn't know you would have it. I'm sure it's in good hands at your site. Since you have the prior experience with all that Compaq server stuff, you're better off sticking with what you know and are good at.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Hey guys, I e-mailed Soopa about this too.
The Gateway server is not rack mountable, so I don't think it would work out anyway - maybe that'll calm everyone down.
As to whether it's a quality server or not, it simply is. I'm sure it is not better than a Compaq server, but at 1/3 the cost it's a much better value, which is something to consider since it sounds like we all want to keep this club running on the cheap.
I'm willing to bet that it's good enough for the needs of Acura-CL.com, but if WebToker says the site needs more, then I guess Soopa et al. will do their best to get it. (I just hope he's not 'Toking' while making these reccomendations! :-)
Old 06-06-2001, 10:51 PM
Drifting

LOL I didn't say you don't know what you're doing, I only said you're speaking purely from your experience which seems to only include using pre-built servers.
I'm sure you know what you're doing.

I thought Soopa was the one who was housing the server and it was going to be in his house/aptmnt/whatever.

I didn't know you would have it. I'm sure it's in good hands at your site. Since you have the prior experience with all that Compaq server stuff, you're better off sticking with what you know and are good at.

-J

</font>

I have dealt with servers of all kinds. From Sun Sparcs, to hand built and all kinds of pre built server which include IBM, HP, Compaq, and even some Cobalts. I have been doing this for years and what I have learned is to not put yourself through the trouble of building your servers by hand and dealing with several different vendors. I guess you have very little experience in the collocation and managed services field. Oh, well this topic is pretty much pointless. Lets move on and get us a new server ;-)

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-06-2001, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

-J

</font>
Yep...toker has been serving the sites for a while now...he took over on the TL page and about a month or less than that after this CL board opened, he took over serving too.

Hand built servers are good I suppose, but when something goes wrong you are the one that needs to go and buy the component to replace it...using the compaq, he can get a part from his company or if they are out, get one from compaq.

Oh, and about laptops, I would have to agree with dell being tops. They have the best bang for the buck. My Inspiron 8000 is a desktop away from my desktop. But to all their own..

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-06-2001, 10:55 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
Yep...toker has been serving the sites for a while now...he took over on the TL page and about a month or less than that after this CL board opened, he took over serving too.

Hand built servers are good I suppose, but when something goes wrong you are the one that needs to go and buy the component to replace it...using the compaq, he can get a part from his company or if they are out, get one from compaq.

Oh, and about laptops, I would have to agree with dell being tops. They have the best bang for the buck. My Inspiron 8000 is a desktop away from my desktop. But to all their own..

</font>
The one thing I love about Dell laptops are that the screens are so nice. They look awesome in any light.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 06-06-2001, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
The one thing I love about Dell laptops are that the screens are so nice. They look awesome in any light.

</font>
I know!! I cant get enough of the 15" screen! Would've gone with the ultra xga, but at the time they were having troubles with that and the geforce2go chip. Didn't really need that gpu, but getting it for free and the installation experience was fun

------------------
Tw1112

Quick Reply: ATTENTION SOOPA! $500 Gateway Server!!!