Anyone used this to paint their garage floor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by NOLACLS
Yeah that face is funny hahaha

You say paint...you mean that stuff you have already? Dont forget to add anti skid stuff if it doesnt already have it.

Does it snow where you are?
Yea, the stuff I bought already....

Snows bigtime here.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I painted my 3 car garage when I was married and it came right up within a month. If you note, they all say that they are "hot tire resistant" no hot tire proof. I was looking into the epocy thing too but I was told it only really works when the concrete is new and has never been driven on or stained. Be great if you had a brand new house and did it.

However, even when it peeled up on the tires, it still looked better and allowed you to clean sweep the floor with the dust grabbing stuff they use in commercial warehouses.

So Scrib? What's it gonna be?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Administrator Alumnus

I'm def. going with an epoxy setup. Seems to be the only thing that'll withstand any type of abuse.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Yeah when I painted mine it came up probably within a month to. But I used the stuff from HD and I might not have preped it right.

Well with a lot of snow I would have to say paint it and use that expensive matt. I think I read that with that little lip it will hold like 5 gal of water....so when you come in from all the snow it will not go all over the floor....it will keep the hot tires off the paint...and it will look good I think.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Yeah when I painted mine it came up probably within a month to. But I used the stuff from HD and I might not have preped it right.

Well with a lot of snow I would have to say paint it and use that expensive matt. I think I read that with that little lip it will hold like 5 gal of water....so when you come in from all the snow it will not go all over the floor....it will keep the hot tires off the paint...and it will look good I think.
Do you recall the name of the paint that was used? Was it Behr???

I believe Behr is simply a paint, and you use a primer to bond to the floor. However, the finish coat is nothing more than a special paint, not an epoxy. That to me spells trouble.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Yep that was the stuff and I used some primer that I had from when I painted my house. I didnt think it would last long but only a few weeks and I could see it stuck to my tire. I will try something different next time. Or if I could get 2 of those matts then I could use the same stuff and not worry about it because the cars would be on the matts
Old 02-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peel & stick vinyl tiles? Like the kind they had when we were in elementary schools. They can be as low as $1 each. Be around $400 to do a double car garage.

I'm liking that racedeck floor though, looks like it would be comfy to stand on when I'm at the work bench. But white tiles on a garage floor?!?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you look at this stuff Scrib?

http://www.ucoatit.com/main.html

Which product at sams were you looking at, your link didn't work...
Old 02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator Alumnus

That ucoatit stuff is very expensive.

I was looking at the "Garage Floor Protector - 9' x 20' - Gray" at Sams. It's double and more anywhere else.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Next thing you need is a parkzone kit so you park in the same spot every time They have them on ebay for like 15 bucks.
Forget the Parkzone thing.... Last month at Costco, I noticed a laser guide parking kit. I had no idea how it worked, but I thought it would be cool for my Mom at her house. She always has problems knowing how far in she should pull her car.

Anyway, the kit is so simple that it's funny. It's basically a small laser (similar to a laser pointer) that you attach to the top of your garage door opener. It is powered off the light bulb socket of your opener and is automatically turned on whenever you open your garage door. All you gotta do is the simple install, then park your car in the best spot and aim the laser at a spot on your dashboard. As you pull into the garage, you'll see the red dot and when it reaches your predetermined spot, you're parked pefectly every time.

BTW, the kit comes with two lasers (for a two-car garage) and is under $15. My Mom loves it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 02-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Yo Scrib...the ucoatit is only $249.95 for a 2.5 car garage. Do you consider that expensive? It says "will not peel or lift under hot tires". Pretty specific if you ask me. I was considering using the stuff. www.ucoatit.com
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Tom2
Hang a tennis ball from a string from a rafter in the garage. When the ball just touches the windshield, stop.

We don't need no stinkin' lasers.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by gto2050
Yo Scrib...the ucoatit is only $249.95 for a 2.5 car garage. Do you consider that expensive? It says "will not peel or lift under hot tires". Pretty specific if you ask me. I was considering using the stuff. www.ucoatit.com
And the Rust-Oleum stuff promises the same thing. Even the Griots Garage product says it too, and it's about $200 to do a 2-2.5 car garage.

I myself wouldn't plunk down that kind of money for paint. Especially for a garage. I haven't read too much into the ucoatit stuff, but if it's an epoxy, like the Rust-Oleum ExpostShield, I'm curious to what the differences are.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Administrator Alumnus

And BTW... I truly beleive the success lies in the floor prep, and not the paint. Get an epoxy and make sure the floor is prepped WELL!

That's what I'm gathering from my research.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I agree. That's why I think it's risky with an old concrete floor. A new one would be best. So...... problem solved....pour a new floor!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by gto2050
I agree. That's why I think it's risky with an old concrete floor. A new one would be best.
I’ve heard both theories on this one.
Some say it’s actually better to WAIT a few months before doing this because the concrete is still “breathing” and it gets that flakey white powder on it all the time.
After a while that stops and the paint or coating would probably adhere better.
Don’t wait TOO long otherwise the opposite will be true if there’s too much grease & grime on there.

I say SCREW IT. My installer put a nice “brush finish” on my floor with a broom and I like it the way it is.
It has a sandpaper like feel to it and there’s no slipping when it’s wet.
Sure there are a few spots under where the cars park from road crud, but those would probably be on the painted surface as well.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom2
Yeah I saw that one to...but I would rather a small stop light in my garage...looks cooler :P
Old 02-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Drifting

I agree that its the prepping that is most important. See my floor was already painted and in bad shape...so I didn't get the chance to lay the first coat.

Fuk it man...just dig out the floor and dig down about 5-6 feet and then put some steel grating at the level that the floor used to be. That way you will be like jiffy lube...the floor (grating) will never hold water or be dirty and then you can do easy oil changes
Old 02-26-2004, 08:15 AM
A senior member

I applied Rust Oleum epoxy garage floor coating serveral years back when the house was new. The result is excellent to say the least All the dirty snow stuff left on the floor can be easily washed away. The epoxy is excellent in resisting used motor oil, brake fluids, etc. I have it for 6 years now and it still looks great. No peeling at all!!!

You need to use a good epoxy coating not just any floor paint. Floor paint won't last, plus if you later decide to use epoxy, you have to strip off the old paint Can you imagine how much that job would take? My 0.02 from experience
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by King of the Road
I applied Rust Oleum epoxy garage floor coating serveral years back when the house was new. The result is excellent to say the least All the dirty snow stuff left on the floor can be easily washed away. The epoxy is excellent in resisting used motor oil, brake fluids, etc. I have it for 6 years now and it still looks great. No peeling at all!!!

You need to use a good epoxy coating not just any floor paint. Floor paint won't last, plus if you later decide to use epoxy, you have to strip off the old paint Can you imagine how much that job would take? My 0.02 from experience

Another satisfied customer!!! Did you put down the "decorative chips"???

Can you take any pics of the floor?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Drifting

And there you have it folks

So my floor has been painted on probably a few times. What would it take to strip it?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Painted with epoxy???

Hmmm....
Old 02-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

My last attempt on a relatively new floor was the concrete stain. It didn't last 2 months beofre the hot tires pulled it up. I'm leaning more and more toward the expoxy. If I didn't have to empty out my garage for 48 hours, I would do it. But.......it's 28 degrees and I have a 68 LeMans convertible, G35C, and 2 Harleys in there plus all my tools, wine, etc.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Drifting

No painted with paint...I never used the epoxie but when I end up re doing it I wouldnt mind trying it out.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Poorly-bonded previous paint - If the floor is previously painted, remove any loose paint by sanding and scraping. Test the adhesion of the remaining paint on the surface by doing the following:

1. With a single-edged razor blade, cut an X through the coating and down to the concrete.
2. Apply a 4" piece of duct tape over the X and press firmly.
3. Completely remove the tape with one quick pull.
4. If more than 25% of the taped area is removed with the tape, the original coating is not adhering well, and the floor should not be coated with EPOXYShield unless all previous paint is removed.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I think I'll just down wall to wall carpeting. It would be cheaper!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Hmmm I wonder if there is an acid that would eat up everything except the concrete?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Administrator Alumnus

If it's "paint", then somelike like paint thinner will do the trick. Get a good wire brush... Scrub, scrub, scrub...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by Scrib
... Scrib, scrib, scrib...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Administrator Alumnus

:o
Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Scrib
If it's "paint", then somelike like paint thinner will do the trick. Get a good wire brush... Scrub, scrub, scrub...

Yeah its that home depot garage paint....so I guess I will have to wait till my old frat has some new pledges

Old 02-26-2004, 08:36 AM
A senior member

By the way, if you have a brand new floor, you should wait a while to let the loose surface wear away before applying the coating. Make sure to remove/etch(use sand paper) any oil spots before applying.

Scrib, yes I sprinkle the decorative chips. They are for looks only. Sorry about the picture, I don't have a digit cam but I do have a digit camcorder though Either way you will like it. I bought mine from either Home Depot or Lowe's, I forgot. One important thing, no consumer expoxy coating can resist the hot tires in the summer. The tires will suck up the coating where you park. Solution, I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of vinyl/rubber, cut them up and put them on the floor where the tires would be. Works like a charm
Old 02-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Drifting

One important thing, no consumer expoxy coating can resist the hot tires in the summer. The tires will suck up the coating where you park. Solution, I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of vinyl/rubber, cut them up and put them on the floor where the tires would be. Works like a charm
Just like you wanted scrib!

Question...is it slick when wet or does it have some sort of anti skid stuff in it?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator Alumnus

By the way, if you have a brand new floor, you should wait a while to let the loose surface wear away before applying the coating. Make sure to remove/etch(use sand paper) any oil spots before applying.

Scrib, yes I sprinkle the decorative chips. They are for looks only. Sorry about the picture, I don't have a digit cam but I do have a digit camcorder though Either way you will like it. I bought mine from either Home Depot or Lowe's, I forgot. One important thing, no consumer expoxy coating can resist the hot tires in the summer. The tires will suck up the coating where you park. Solution, I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of vinyl/rubber, cut them up and put them on the floor where the tires would be. Works like a charm
This is perfect feedback.

I'd like to see any pics you have, if possible.

The floor is new, but it was poured in late November. We're mobing this June, so the floor won't have had much of any traffic and will have had a good nine months to setup.

I'm definitely going to take my sweet time prepping the floor. I think that's really the key in all of this.

What kind of material did you pick up from Lowes/Home Depot? How did you lay it down? Just a little 2'x2' block per tire??? Or another way?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 AM
A senior member

The coated floor does get a little slippery when wet so walk carefully. I have not slipped yet
Old 02-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Drifting

The coated floor does get a little slippery when wet so walk carefully. I have not slipped yet
I wonder if you can add some sand or anti skid (just like sand) so its not so slick. I bet you can...
Old 02-26-2004, 09:01 AM
A senior member

Scrib, it is some kind of black vinyl/rubber sheet. I just cut them up 2X2 and lay them on the floor. They really don't shift that often at all. As a matter of fact, a little wet underneath make them stick like a sucker cup. I found that out during raining days
Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM
A senior member

Another suggestion, avoid doing it on a hot humid day. It would take too long to dry and may not cure properly I did mine in late spring. Fall would be good also.

Quick Reply: Anyone used this to paint their garage floor?